LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Issues with Interoception?

As someone on the autism spectrum, I've been trying to mask my issues since I was about 5 or 6. Tiled public bathrooms have always felt too loud for me. I have tried earbuds and headphones, but it still feels difficult. I grew up with constipation and frequent accident.

Today I don't have any accidents like I did back then but I still feel attached to the feeling of diapers because I didn't get the chance to wear back then. It feels really embarrassing and frustrating. I have been through times where I don't need to wear them for awhile and then one day I just get tired of trying to wait or remembering to go. I've tried those reminder apps but it gets almost too repetitive. Does anyone know what I'm going through?

I am also on the autism spectrum and used to have accidents, up until my teens. However, it didn't lead to me liking diapers - I found both GoodNites and menstrual pads extremely uncomfortable because of the crinkly padding, so while I've never tried a proper diaper, I seriously doubt I'd enjoy it. (I find diapers hot on other people, not myself.)

Bathrooms usually don't cause too much sensory overload for me, although particularly loud flushing or hand dryers can be a problem sometimes. But often in public places the bathroom is less overloading for me than the rest of the place, and I'll flee to the bathroom for a break sometimes.

I do think interoception was the cause of my accidents, too. I have issues with interoception. I miss meals unless I eat to a schedule because I can't tell if I'm hungry, and I often only feel the need to pee once it's gotten bad. I have gotten better at holding, but I still have times when I'm suddenly blindsided by an intense need to pee that makes me have to waddle to the bathroom because if I move normally I'll wet myself. Especially when I get up from sitting or lying down, it seems to make the urge suddenly more intense.

• Like 1

Glad to know I'm not alone. I usually don't realize when I need to pee until my bladder feels full and uncomfortable but not painful. Having to hold it in when there's not a toilet around is the worst. I try to keep reminders on my phone to go to the toilet. For bowels, I've had constipation for a long time and I'm glad I have a steady routine of fiber now, but I still don't know when I need to have a BM until I can't sit still comfortably. The thought of just letting go in a pull up is on my mind often. I know I don't always need padding when I can get to the toilet, but it feels better than holding it in which isn't good for the kidneys.

On 2/10/2021 at 6:51 PM, Elbs said:

I am also on the autism spectrum and used to have accidents, up until my teens. However, it didn't lead to me liking diapers - I found both GoodNites and menstrual pads extremely uncomfortable because of the crinkly padding, so while I've never tried a proper diaper, I seriously doubt I'd enjoy it. (I find diapers hot on other people, not myself.)

Bathrooms usually don't cause too much sensory overload for me, although particularly loud flushing or hand dryers can be a problem sometimes. But often in public places the bathroom is less overloading for me than the rest of the place, and I'll flee to the bathroom for a break sometimes.

I do think interoception was the cause of my accidents, too. I have issues with interoception. I miss meals unless I eat to a schedule because I can't tell if I'm hungry, and I often only feel the need to pee once it's gotten bad. I have gotten better at holding, but I still have times when I'm suddenly blindsided by an intense need to pee that makes me have to waddle to the bathroom because if I move normally I'll wet myself. Especially when I get up from sitting or lying down, it seems to make the urge suddenly more intense.

• 6 months later...