LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

You can, but it's much sloppier than a barrier cream, which can be applied more strategically where it's needed versus running all over the place.

Note that you won't get the healing benefits of zinc oxide in baby lotion, which is the active ingredient in most premium rash creams (e.g., Desenex, Beaudreaux's Butt Paste). If you're nursing a rash, I'd suggest you stick with the creams.

Ok I feel I should chime in since there's some misinformation in this thread. Baby lotion does not prevent diaper rash. Rather in my experience using it like a barrier cream would actually make the problem worse. Most rashes are due to excess moisture, and since the whole point of a lotion is to moisturize, it naturally follows that it wouldn't do any good. Barrier creams are much thicker and sticky than lotions, and are used to keep any moisture in your diapers away from your skin. A barrier cream plus baby powder is in my mind the best way to prevent rashes, but if you already have one the easiest way to get rid of it is to lay off the diapers for a while and get some fresh air and sunshine on your naughty bits. (This is why many parents will sometimes let their toddlers run around outside naked sometimes, it does wonders for irritated skin.

That being said, lotion can help dry irritated skin provided you don't slather it on then immediately put a diaper on. All that does is provide a dark, warm, moist breeding ground for the fungus that causes diaper rash. Let your skin absorb it first, wipe off any excess, then powder up and diaper.