LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Costa Rican Diapers

Over the holidays, I traveled to Costa Rica. It's a beautiful country, the people are nice, and they also have reasonably good diapers. I bought a couple of bags, and I thought I'd share. The two diapers I encountered are Plenitud, and Tena Slip. They are available in most super markets, and are relatively inexpensive if you don't take the $700 plan flight into account :)

Plenitud:

The diaper is relatively thin and plastic backed. Even though the diapers are plastic, they are fairly quiet which surprised me. The tapes are really good, relatively wide, and can be used twice similar to an Abena. There are standing leg gathers, which are green :(. They are relatively absorbent, I was able to wet them twice without any problems. I'd compare them to an Attends as far as absorbency goes.

gallery_6887_286_157850.jpg

gallery_6887_286_101942.jpg

Tena Slip

I have never worn an American or European Tena, so I can't compare these with them. However, here's what I have to say. The diapers are cloth backed, with a tape landing zone. The tapes are quite sticky, and stay put, but are a bit on the narrow side. The diaper has standing leg gathers, and is about as thick as an attends an a half. For me the diaper does not come up far enough in the front. They are very absorbent. I was able to wet them 3+ times without problems.

gallery_6887_286_146744.jpg

gallery_6887_286_172100.jpg

I haven't included all the pictures here. To see them all, go here

The first diaper seems very narrow as far as the padding. Only as wide as the leak gaurds which I guess should be all the further they need to go if they work properly. I'm surprised the Tena's of the European market have standing leg gaurds as they don't have one single one on the US market that does. WTF? I'd love it if they did.

I'm surprised the Tena's of the European market have standing leg gaurds as they don't have one single one on the US market that does. WTF? I'd love it if they did.

As is mentioned quite often here by people who have tried both, the European Tenas are vastly superior to the US ones. Also, the pic above, I'm almost certain is not a European Tena - it certainly isn't a Slip Plus/Super/Maxi because they're plastic covered. The only 'maybe' being if it's one of the new Euro 'Ultima' types which are apparently cloth covered :( but I've never seen one so no idea.

On the other hand, it's not a traditional diaper as such but the Tena Flex has standing leg guards, is quite a good product (well, the Maxi absorbency is) and I believe they're identical both sides of the Atlantic.

Makes me wonder why the heck Tena would not just sell there better diaper to the US as well? It's not like they'd have to come up with something new. How stupid is that, lets only sell the good diapers we make to one side of the world????

Makes me wonder why the heck Tena would not just sell there better diaper to the US as well? It's not like they'd have to come up with something new. How stupid is that, lets only sell the good diapers we make to one side of the world????

The Tena looks like the ones that promise was making when tena took over there operation years ago. They were cloth style with the plastic tape zone. I talked wit a person who runs abaip.com he was saying the reason we cant get alot of the european diapers here was because of pattens laws.

Tena's in the US market use to have the cloth cover with a plastic tape panel and sticky tapes on the sides but at least 2 years ago they changed them all over to velcro style tabs so no more plastic landing zone. I like it better because I can stick 'em anywhere now, not just a zone. Only drawback is at night, if I'm not wearing something over the diaper, sometimes the tab grips the flannel sheets and thus pulls the tab off and/or untapes the diaper. I'm a heavy sleeper so I don't realize it til too late. This doesn't happen too often though.

I can see the patent laws playing a role in what can be sold in the US but you think that shouldn't be a big issue as they are different then any other diaper out there still. They have there own unique differences. Diapers all have roads that intersect each other and can be very similar so I can't totally believe it's on the patents. Also, if a company wanted to, they'd just have to make a minor twist here or there to get there own slightly different patent on something. A company as big as tena, you'd think they'd have done that so it must be some other hang-up too.

As is mentioned quite often here by people who have tried both, the European Tenas are vastly superior to the US ones. Also, the pic above, I'm almost certain is not a European Tena - it certainly isn't a Slip Plus/Super/Maxi because they're plastic covered. The only 'maybe' being if it's one of the new Euro 'Ultima' types which are apparently cloth covered :( but I've never seen one so no idea.

On the other hand, it's not a traditional diaper as such but the Tena Flex has standing leg guards, is quite a good product (well, the Maxi absorbency is) and I believe they're identical both sides of the Atlantic.

It's definitely not a European model. The diapers I believe are made in colombia. The lettering down the middle is in Spanish, so they are most likely for the central american market.