LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Diapers Vs. Nappies

Ok.. so what sounds better the word "Diapers" like we say in America or the word "Nappies" like the say in Europe?

hhmmm ... neighter noor ... only a few ones on the cute island in the WEST of Europe (I think some name it "England") say nappy - but 90 mil say "WINDEL" because they are German/Austrian like me ... :lol:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love, adore the word diapers probably my favorite word in the English language. It just sounds so good, diaper singular doesn't have the same impact, and nappy doesn't do anything for me. But I love the sound of diapers. I have heard pampers interchanged and the the words are similar. Pampers would probably be my second choice of words for disposables. I keep my big diapers in a pampers box.

As an Aussie, I prefer the word 'nappy.' But as a writer, I use the word 'diaper' as a verb; i.e. "She diapered him in a fresh warm fluffy cloth nappy." I often post my stories online, and I try to use a few variants of the same word, to prevent my writing becoming repetitious. When I download other authors' works, I usually use my 'replace word' function on Microsoft word to change all the American spellings to normal English, to make the reading experience more enjoyable for me. 'Diapers' is one of the words that I change, also 'binky' beomes 'dummy.'

Hugs from Baby Jennie in Australia

My old Gran used to refer to them as "napkins", but she was very proper.It's a small cloth covered with a "nap" like a towel. My mother threatened me with "nappies".

Diaper and diapering are also heraldic terms and refer to a diamond pattern in black and white applied as a field to one's coat of arms. (One does have a coat of arms, one presumes?.... Doesn't one??) The term was originally applied to the cloth from which U.S. diapers were made, which had that pattern woven in. You might try applying to the College of Heraldry and seeing if they would "diaper" you. Watch out though - they might just mace you up for life.

You need to watch these language differences, especially when it comes to slang.

In English a jailer is a "screw", and he "bangs up" his charges in their cells by slamming the door.

The front panel of a car is the "bonnet", not the "hood", and the back one is a "boot", not a "trunk". Fuel is "petrol", not "gas".

A fag is either a cigarette, or a small boy who acts as a servant to older boys at a "public" (that is private) school. This has been known to lead to misunderstandings

Such things should be enjoyed. It is still perfectly possible to make intelligent conversation with a person who thinks that you make tea by chucking it in the harbour.

God Save the Queen!

I grew up with "Diapers" but after hearing about "Nappies" I actually don't mind that term either ...

It seems more playful to me (IMO) but then again, I didn't grow up with it ...

Just like I say "Oh she has a wet diaper" and think nothing of it ... maybe that's how you guys roll on the other side of this country ...

"Oh she has a wet nappy" ... lol