LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Baby Bottles

When I was growing up my Mom nursed all my younger siblings. I am told both my older sibs and myself were nursed. Still Mom used baby bottles for times when she was not home when an infant got hungry and for water and juice. All those bottles were made of Pyrex, sort of a super glass. Probably by 1964 the rings, which were all black, were not Bakelite, they were the modern plastic. All the bottles were Evenflo, or a good knock-off.

The first baby bottle I bought when I discovered adult baby play was a conventional 8oz straight Evenflo, but with a white ring and cap. That nipple was amber latex. I must say I did not care for that nipple. By luck more than careful research on that same shopping trip I bought a set of MAM pacifiers with clear silicone orthodontic nipples. I have to say I immediately fell in love with the clear silicone nipples on the pacis.

The weight of the glass bottles also did not thrill me. I tried a few local supermarkets and similar stores but did not find clear silicone nipples easily. A couple of lunch hours I called up-scale infant shops until I found PUR clear silicone nipples. Those were slightly stiffer than latex but not as stiff as an Evenflo juice nipple. At that store the clear plastic Evenflo bottles had companion clear silicone nipples, but those made by Evenflo were really limp. Back in 1991 that was the rage in parenting, proving us AB sometimes need to use our own reality.

What I cannot remember is when Evenflo introduced their 8oz Angeled Nursers, but it had to be after 1993. Fortunately when they did reach stores I bought a lot of them because eventually they were replaced by other styles I do not like as well.

For reasons never explained to me PUR discontinued their clear silicone nipples in 1996, by which time I had bought several dozen. Just when I was running out of my PUR nipples, Munchkin introduced their own series of clear silicone nipples, which were not as stiff as the PUR but stiff enough to suit my needs when suckling. The Munchkin nipples came for various purposes, such as water, formula and orange juice. More recently Munchkin introduced their adjustable flow nipples. I love these because I can twist the top to change the flow to match my mood and what I am suckling.

Over the years I have bought or been given all kinds of larger bottles and even lambing nipples. I have good AB friends who are way into such things, yet I always return to my infant-size 8oz Evenflo bottles and toddler-size nipples.

MAM is still my pacifier brand of choice. Since 1990 the shield has improved ventilation, yet the button is the same shape. I do use the standard MAM paci leashes. I also still use the toddler 6+ month size orthodontic clear silicone nipples.

• 5 years later...

Well I've had good luck with. Flipple Baby Bottle to Go - Turns Water Bottle into Baby Bottle! by Flipple http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0023T8XPA/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_z05Gtb19FBRG7

And

green sprouts Toddler Water Bottle Cap Adapter, Clear by i Play http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004K6LMW0/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_W15Gtb1V7HAB6

The first one adapting any nipple (if you already have a modified one). To a normal water bottle.

The second one uses Just their nipples. Though the one I linked has good flow. In between a bottle and sippy cup.

I would love to find a reusable bottle (not disposal). That would work for either. Birthed the neck/cap area is completely off.

You won't have a problem with the nipples collapsing or not being able to get enough liquid if you buy certain bottles and nipples. Most companies offer staged nipples, but I have been the happiest with the "variable flow" ones. These are ones you can turn to vary the flow, but they have a slit instead of a hole and are much easier to drink from. But it's not the same as enlarging it yourself, since it won't drip if you turn it sideways or throw it across the room like the baby you are.

Avent makes one like this. You can buy it here and across the web: http://www.amazon.com/Philips-AVENT-Classic-Nipple-Variable/dp/B000056W6J

Avent also makes an 11 oz bottle which has a capacity closer to 12 or 13 ozs.

The variable flow nipples generally do not come standard with the bottles, which often come with a stage 1 nipple that is very sucky (no pun intended).

I also have a number of European bottles and nipples in my collection from my travels. I find that in France in particular almost all the nipples are larger and 11 oz is their standard size. I have ones from Dodie, Bebe Confort, and my favorite, Bebisol. I picked one up of their 11 oz ones with a variable flow nipple -- the flow is faster than the Playtex sippy cups I have and it has a cool hipster design. I use it almost exclusively as my drinking source at home. They even have ones that have a capacity of 360 ml. http://www.bebisol.fr/nos-grandes-idees.php?docid=28

Another related thing is that you will see way fewer sippy cups on the shelves and in the hands of toddlers in Europe. I think the US culture emphasizes growing up and development and we all know that being able to use a sippy cup early is a sign one might get into an Ivy League college. On Bebisol's site there's pics of kids that would be in no uncertain terms seen as too old to be using a bottle in the USA. Europeans are just more relaxed about such things...suckling is a source of pleasure (a form of infantile sexuality according to Freud) which I think generally makes Americans uncomfortable...as absurd as that is.