LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Composting (wet) Nappies/diapers

Hi all,

I am lucky enough to have my own house with small backyard (with some small & young fruit trees) and hidden behind my garden shed I have placed a compost bin (which is very handy for a family of 5) to which I have been adding my nappy pulp along with the fruit and veg peelings and stacks of coffee grinds.

My process is to empty the fluff pulp from my wet nappy into a nappy pail (you know a very large bucket) and then shower standing over the pail collecting the water, soap suds and all. This then gets poured into the compost bin adding quite a bit of volume as well as lots of moisture (which is great for compost.)

I found some small earth worms (local variety) which I added to the bin ages ago and the other day when I was turning it with the fork I was very pleased to see now lots of very large earth worms (I am guessing they are healthy but I really have no idea lol.)

Some people have expressed the idea that shampoo, liquid soaps and disposable nappies may have harmful chemicals in them but the worms havn't dug out underneath (which they could do) or died.

Any feedback on whether this is safe, clever or anything?

They sell 'diaper gel' as a soil amendment for keeping the soil moist, so that's not a bad thing. The paper pulp is great for worms, as long as its well aerated regularly (you can keep worms in a box of damp shredded newspaper)

Most people freak out at the thought of 'humanure', though if treated with care, you should be just fine. Probably have the dampest compost in town though!

I turn the compost very often so it gets plenty of air and doesn't stink thanks to the aerobic bacteria activity.

Composting is just one of those things that makes me feel a bit better about wearing a disposable product.

If anyone else wants to try this I would just let you know where I used to live it rained quite a bit so I could just pour the shower water and fluff pulp out on the garden and throw some mulch over the top and it would breakdown in a few weeks. Where I live now it barely rains so when I initially tried that I wound up with heaps of fluff pulp "cakes" sitting on the garden beds which was very[/] telling.

It sounds like a great idea, but unfortunately I have a very strong gag reflex. If anyone wants to come by and pick up my used diapers...

LOL, I find if as soon as I take the nappy off if I hold it by the top (the part with the taping panel) and give it a gentle shake* all the padding will fall to the bottom (including any that is still dry) and held strongly in place by the elastic waist band then I can gently peel the inside top sheet away from the plastic and pour into into the pail. When I do thiis immediatly I find very little smell (and your wee is sterile anyway) but sometimes I find I have a couple of days worth sitting in the bin which develop that nasty saucy smell so I always add these to the bottom of the bucket (lol I do have a strong gag reflex) but after I have a shower over the top of them I always find their is no smell partially thanks to the water and maybe in part from the different soap products.

*If anyone else is going to try this can I suggest you make sure that your nappy/diaper is the kind that is properly sealed top and bottom as I have had many disasters where I wish to clump the pulp together before I pour it into the pail only to find their was an opening (or just a pour seal) and I have a huge mess of fluff pulp and gel on the bathroom floor (oh yeah don't do this over carpet.)