LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Disposable Diaper History

Luv and Huggies for Pampering us by providing this link.

Carlos E. Richer is the world's leading independent consultant to the baby disposable diaper industry. Who knew he also writes in an entertaining way, so you learn more about the construction of disposables that you thought you wanted to know.

Want to buy a machine to make your own disposable diapers? Carlos Richer Investments has a selection of new and "slightly used" diaper making machines. Cost? Like a boat, if ya hafta ask, ya can't afford it. Oh, and you need a building over 200 feet long, the longer the better. The machines are as much as 50 feet wide, and you need space to store the stuff that goes into a diaper. And more space to store the finished diapers until you ship them to customers. How many diapers per minute? The major manufacturers run each machine up to 1,000 per minute. If Carlos said how long it takes to change a machine for various sizes, I have not found the information. It must be there. Everything else is, even jokes about diapers and a few pictures of big baby girls.

My frustration pleading with KCC about larger Huggies and P&G about larger Pampers and Luv got me speculating buying a machine. I will need to save a lot of pennies because he says the starting investment is a million dollars for the machine, plus another couple of million for the supplies you need to get started. Then leasing such a huge building has to cost a whole lot. Oh, the kicker is that apparently the reason we do not have Size 8, 9 and 10 Pampers Cruisers is the oldest machines in use max out at Size 5, and most newer machines max at Size 6. Pampers must have custom built a machine for Size 7.

Bummer that Carlos does not consult about making adult diapers. Maybe I could buy one of those machines and set it to make diapers smaller than Attends Youth and Small, with modern features. Richer shared there does not appear to be enough market for tape-on diapers for people too big for Size 6 and too small for conventional adult disposables, what we call the "GoodNites" size.

Obviously I have gotten it all wrong. According to Carlos Richer virtually all disposables currently on the market are more gentle on the skin than the most carefully washed cloth diapers. Reading his research, he makes a point. Skin is best when dry, and all this talk about the inner feel-dry layer is correct. Published articles saying cloth is safer were written a long time ago, and compared cloth to first generation disposables from before disposables came with tapes. In those days cloth diapers were changed at least six times a day, while often today toddlers need only 3 disposables. Of course that assumes there is a disposable that fits. The nice thing about cloth and pins is they can be adjusted for ideal fit. Ya just gotta change them more often.

All kidding aside, Carlos Richer has a fabulous site.

• 1 month later...

Luv and Huggies for Pampering us by providing this link.

Carlos E. Richer is the world's leading independent consultant to the baby disposable diaper industry. Who knew he also writes in an entertaining way, so you learn more about the construction of disposables that you thought you wanted to know.

Want to buy a machine to make your own disposable diapers? Carlos Richer Investments has a selection of new and "slightly used" diaper making machines. Cost? Like a boat, if ya hafta ask, ya can't afford it. Oh, and you need a building over 200 feet long, the longer the better. The machines are as much as 50 feet wide, and you need space to store the stuff that goes into a diaper. And more space to store the finished diapers until you ship them to customers. How many diapers per minute? The major manufacturers run each machine up to 1,000 per minute. If Carlos said how long it takes to change a machine for various sizes, I have not found the information. It must be there. Everything else is, even jokes about diapers and a few pictures of big baby girls.

My frustration pleading with KCC about larger Huggies and P&G about larger Pampers and Luv got me speculating buying a machine. I will need to save a lot of pennies because he says the starting investment is a million dollars for the machine, plus another couple of million for the supplies you need to get started. Then leasing such a huge building has to cost a whole lot. Oh, the kicker is that apparently the reason we do not have Size 8, 9 and 10 Pampers Cruisers is the oldest machines in use max out at Size 5, and most newer machines max at Size 6. Pampers must have custom built a machine for Size 7.

Bummer that Carlos does not consult about making adult diapers. Maybe I could buy one of those machines and set it to make diapers smaller than Attends Youth and Small, with modern features. Richer shared there does not appear to be enough market for tape-on diapers for people too big for Size 6 and too small for conventional adult disposables, what we call the "GoodNites" size.

Obviously I have gotten it all wrong. According to Carlos Richer virtually all disposables currently on the market are more gentle on the skin than the most carefully washed cloth diapers. Reading his research, he makes a point. Skin is best when dry, and all this talk about the inner feel-dry layer is correct. Published articles saying cloth is safer were written a long time ago, and compared cloth to first generation disposables from before disposables came with tapes. In those days cloth diapers were changed at least six times a day, while often today toddlers need only 3 disposables. Of course that assumes there is a disposable that fits. The nice thing about cloth and pins is they can be adjusted for ideal fit. Ya just gotta change them more often.

All kidding aside, Carlos Richer has a fabulous site.

They should make the next machine go higher than they plan on making diapers, just in case.

America keeps getting fatter, and potty training keeps getting later. The latter, I don't see as a problem at all. I really don't see how having a kid trained at 2 is any better than 6.

One thing I noticed about adult diapers is...

They just don't always hold up to their capacity. Meaning a diaper that can soak up 6 hours of pee might not physically hold together comfortably for 6 hours.