LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Abena X-Plus Review

Last nappy review for a while, I won't be trying any more brands after this I don't think, unless I hear of something exceptional for us here in the UK (Cuddlz with prints please :P). The new style Abena X-plus (or L4 if you want to get technical). I've been an abena user ever since I got my first pack of adult disposables, and always the x-plus version (why go with anything less? :P), so this review might be a bit biased :X. But it also means I'm well placed to talk about the little changes that have been made in this version.

X-pluspack.jpg

Mmmmm an old favourite.

I used to order from Beaucare who aren't the most discreet around, and they're also available from Dorset Nursing Supplies who suffer from a similar problem. Recently through a friend told me about Bambo Nature (thanks Babyalex86 :thumbsup:) who offer very good prices on packs, and free shipping on orders over £50, and crucially they shipped discreetly (well as discreetly as possible for the massive box that turned up :PBig Box o' Nappies Yes, that's a full size bottle of baby powder.)

So onwards!

Fit

X-plusTapes.jpg

The tapes are much improved over older versions

I like the fit of these, they're very easy to get right for me after my years of experience with them. The bottom tape being low really helps get a snug fit round the thighs and bum. I know a lot of people have complained about the tapes in the past but for me I haven't had a problem with them for a year or so now, no popping, and no un-sticking. Like I said in my Molicare review, I prefer this placement of bottom tapes. One issue that seems to have gotten worse is the plastic backing, it does seem a little softer which is always good, but also a little thinner. It also stretches very easily, which means no matter how snug you stick them on you'll need to re-tape after an hour or two, they do hold better after this second taping, but it shouldn't be needed. The tapes are again double tapes, so you only get a choice to reposition them once, and again you'll need it once they've stretched out. They do seem to be a little softer, and a little less stiff in the padding now, which is always good, still its best to empty the whole pack and let them expand over time.

Absorbency

X-plussideview.jpg

Not Photoshoped, they are really that thick :X (and why does my camera make me look like I'm sunburnt?)

This is the yard stick that all others are measured in my experience, I doubt there's a nappy out there that can match up to the sheer amount of liquid these can hold with out leaking. 3 heavy beer fuelled wettings are easy peasy, a 4th and it will still contain it, but I wouldn't trust it when sitting down. They swell up as well increasing the already incredible thickness even more. One improvement in this area (yes Improvement!) is the addition of a little more fluff which seems to wick a lot better then I remember, two wettings whilst stood up and it will reach the bum no problem, which increases its soaking power even more. Its still not up there with Molicare which have been the most impressive in this regard, but its more then thick enough to handle anything it can't wick away.

• Like 1

Look

X-plusfolded.jpg

I like the new design, I'd prefer plain still.

X-pluslayedout.jpg

I love the look of these, ok they'd be better plain white (or even better covered in teddies :D). The way they fit, look and feel seems to be the closest in what I want as an AB, this isn't to take away anything from cuddlz or molicare, but the fit of these seem even more babyish, just a bit puffy outty in all the right places. They do have some writing on them, but I don't mind this over how they used to look, it seems... modern. The wetness indicator is still the same, two stripes of yellow that change colour as you wet. I don't know why they need these through, a wet abena is noticeable from a mile off, the way it swells and the amount of gel that you can see through the plastic. One thing that's always been an issue with abenas is the lack of odour control. They seem to start smelling quicker then other brands when wet, and a wet nappy smell isn't the nicest in the world (well ok cloth nappies do smell great :X). They're also as crinkly as I remember :D. Cuddlz may be more so in this regard but only because of that landing zone.

Overall

Stockingup.jpg

Yes, I really really love these nappies.

I still love these nappies, and they'll always have a special place in my stash. The stretchiness has always been an issue, and it does seem to have gotten worse with these newer ones could be a major problem for bedwetters who move around a lot at night. But the improvement to the tapes, the wicking, and the now softer feel of the plastic and padding all add up and outweigh these concerns. I think the Molicare edges it out slightly, but only because of that stretch issue. However the white is a better look for me then purple.

One thing that does seem to be an issue with abenas (and probably other brands but I've never used for long enough to be affected) is sometimes you'll get a bad batch, with bad tapes, or leaky plastic. I've never had a problem returning them in the past, and issues do see to be resolved quickly.

Again with your thoughts :P, I know a lot of people have used these, and there's a lot of opinions about them. I love hearing what you have to say on the subject :).

• Like 1