LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

loperamide and metamucil

I often wondered what effect combining loperamide with some "fiber loading" would produce. I have severe bowel urgency as a result of a long ago surgery and while it has resulted in some diaper dependency off and on over the years, the use of a bulk producing fiber supplement firmed my BM's up to an acceptable level. Well formed, semi-firm and easy to pass (too easy as it often turns out). When I get an urge it escalates rather quickly and I frequently end up with near immediate release. When in an ab/dl mood this is a desirable effect of my urge incontinence. Other times, not so much. It was suggested that I reduce the amount of metamucil I use daily but when I tried that I had very uncomfortable constipation. I've been using it so long that my system actually requires it. I began the fiber therapy at the suggestion of my surgeon after I complained about loose BM's with severe urgency. The metamucil did wonders for the loose BM's but helped little when it came to the severe urgency. He insisted that it would help keep my diverticulosis from becoming another health risk ( the reason for my surgery). He told me that the urgency would go away over time. It never did, a point I make to my primary care physician at every chance I get. So I thought that using loperamide (anti-diarrheal) would at the very least give me some relief from the frequency, allowing me more "clean time". This has helped quite well. Unfortunately, it has made already large BM releases enormous. At times, depending on how much loperamide I take, I even need a suppository when the rare instances of constipation occur. I was just wondering if anyone else has tried this combination and the results they experienced. I suppose I should have posted this in the incontinence forum but so be it. This will probably get more exposure here.