LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Leak guards?

I don't see the purpose of leak guards if they are not water-proof. It doesn't make sense that they make them out of this thin, porus material when if they were just thin plastic they wouldn't leak and it would hold the wetness in the middle where the padding is. Instead the wetness leaks right through the leakguard. Why???

IIRC, the original purpose of the inner leg guard was to keep feces from escaping the diaper.  I remember the commercials when they first came out -- there was a small toy boat in the diaper, and the boat would hit the leg guard and stop.

Nowadays the leg guards help keep pooled urine from overflowing the diaper, which is why some companies like ABU call them leak guards.  The diaper itself is supposed to lock the liquid in the padding and the SAP.  The leg guards' material generally keeps the liquid in the middle of the diaper long enough for the diaper to absorb it before it gets through the tiny holes in it.  I assume that a large bladder void could cause either an overflow of the leg guards, or the material could leak through those small holes if it takes a long time for the diaper to absorb it.

As to the specific reason as why they use that material instead of a completely waterproof material, I'm not sure.  Part of it could be comfort -- having a waterproof plastic leg guard made of the same material as the outer shell would likely chafe in between ones legs, especially when there is wetness (urine or sweat).  Part of it could be that the material does a decent enough job holding back liquid for the average diaper wearer.  For example, I haven't had leak issues due to the leg guards letting urine through the small holes; my leaks are generally when my urine isn't being absorbed quick enough and it goes over the top of the leg guards.  Also, my major leak risks are generally due to the position of my .....(lemme see, what name looks good from the thread in the Scoop the Poop.....) one eyed diaper snake.

One way to help the diaper absorb faster is to "fluff" the diaper.  In the linked video, testing has shown that by preparing a diaper to be worn through some massaging or fluffing, the diaper will absorb liquid significantly faster.    The faster the diaper can absorb the liquid, the less time there is for the liquid to permeate the leak guard.

• Like 2