• a Mormom
    • a Scientologist
    • an islamist
    • agnostic
    • athiest
    • undecided
    • a Pagan

Hmm, is there an option for Gnosticism?

I'd be a mix of Gnosticism, Paganism and Buddhism, Christian, mixed with personal philosophy, and I take it and leave it about those four religions (especially the fourth).

I voted undecided.

:angry2:

Don't lay your religion on me man, I don't fit into your catagories. In the option of undecided you'd still be wrong. I abhor and loath religion.

I view it as an abomination. Too many innocent people have died in the name of it, too many wars have been fought for it, and having it forced down my throat sucks too!!

There are far to many people who have their "good christian morals" legislated onto me and the people of this great nation.

You go ahead and claim that you're a good christian with good christian morals, then you go out and bomb an abortion clinic, or murder a doctor who performs abortions in the name of your religion. You take away a womans right to choose, and call her a murderer, well that's the pot calling the kettle black if you ask me.

How does that make you any different than the people who kill and maim in the name of radical islamic faith? There is a God my friends, and no religion that I've seen really serves him, they serve their own interests. They line their pockets with it, and seek more power over people with it. And just how does this serve God?

What does God need with money or power? When you pass judgement on yourself or others you are putting yourselves in God's shoes (remember God said that he is the only one who can pass judgement) God has already said not to do this, as you are to put no one before God. Your religion states "judge not lest ye be judged".

Something that people forget is that God forgives us all, saint and sinner alike. Your religion says "Jesus died for your sins" there is no clause stating that only the "sins commited before March 1st 1997". But that Jesus died for all our sins.

So if you believe in Jesus (I love God, but I'm not sure that Jesus was the son of God...still on the fence on that one), then you know that WE ARE ALL SAVED A SPOT IN HEAVEN. If indeed there is a heaven, for all I know we could just move on to another life.

Stop pushing your reigion on me! I don't want it, it is man made, and EVERYTHING man made is corrupt. With man it's all about money and power. Religion is no different than politics. Hell, (and by the way...there is no hell, unless you're refering to the one you're living in) religion and politics are so much the same as to really be easy to spot. Give me a good conservative republican (repugnantan?) and I'll show you a bible thumping good christian.

It's just another form of social control, they get you to believe in their morey's because "it's just the way it's always been". Don't step out of line, Keep your head down, Don't stick out, Don't be different, Pay your tithing, Go to church (for more religious indoctrination). Just another form of social control, like the media.

Ever wonder what would happen if you didn't watch your TV for a week, a month, a year? When you turn it back on NOTHING has changed! the news is all bad and the shows are all about sex and violence, because sex and violence sells. And the news has you thinking that only the goverment can save us.

The media, the government and religion are all owned by the one tenth of one percent of our society who own us all and who have all the power. they control what you see and what you hear. What does that have to do with God?

God doesn't NEED money, or power, or religion. You believe what you want, but keep it away from my front door, or I'll pray to God to set your shoes on fire while you're still wearing them!

Peace,

Vic B)

:angry2:

Don't lay your religion on me man, I don't fit into your catagories. In the option of undecided you'd still be wrong. I abhor and loath religion.

I view it as an abomination. Too many innocent people have died in the name of it, too many wars have been fought for it, and having it forced down my throat sucks too!!

There are far to many people who have their "good christian morals" legislated onto me and the people of this great nation.

You go ahead and claim that you're a good christian with good christian morals, then you go out and bomb an abortion clinic, or murder a doctor who performs abortions in the name of your religion. You take away a womans right to choose, and call her a murderer, well that's the pot calling the kettle black if you ask me.

How does that make you any different than the people who kill and maim in the name of radical islamic faith? There is a God my friends, and no religion that I've seen really serves him, they serve their own interests. They line their pockets with it, and seek more power over people with it. And just how does this serve God?

What does God need with money or power? When you pass judgement on yourself or others you are putting yourselves in God's shoes (remember God said that he is the only one who can pass judgement) God has already said not to do this, as you are to put no one before God. Your religion states "judge not lest ye be judged".

Something that people forget is that God forgives us all, saint and sinner alike. Your religion says "Jesus died for your sins" there is no clause stating that only the "sins commited before March 1st 1997". But that Jesus died for all our sins.

So if you believe in Jesus (I love God, but I'm not sure that Jesus was the son of God...still on the fence on that one), then you know that WE ARE ALL SAVED A SPOT IN HEAVEN. If indeed there is a heaven, for all I know we could just move on to another life.

Stop pushing your reigion on me! I don't want it, it is man made, and EVERYTHING man made is corrupt. With man it's all about money and power. Religion is no different than politics. Hell, (and by the way...there is no hell, unless you're refering to the one you're living in) religion and politics are so much the same as to really be easy to spot. Give me a good conservative republican (repugnantan?) and I'll show you a bible thumping good christian.

It's just another form of social control, they get you to believe in their morey's because "it's just the way it's always been". Don't step out of line, Keep your head down, Don't stick out, Don't be different, Pay your tithing, Go to church (for more religious indoctrination). Just another form of social control, like the media.

Ever wonder what would happen if you didn't watch your TV for a week, a month, a year? When you turn it back on NOTHING has changed! the news is all bad and the shows are all about sex and violence, because sex and violence sells. And the news has you thinking that only the goverment can save us.

The media, the government and religion are all owned by the one tenth of one percent of our society who own us all and who have all the power. they control what you see and what you hear. What does that have to do with God?

God doesn't NEED money, or power, or religion. You believe what you want, but keep it away from my front door, or I'll pray to God to set your shoes on fire while you're still wearing them!

Peace,

Vic B)

Is that all you have to say on the subject Vic? :lol:

I agree with what you're saying to an extent, and yes religion has been created by man usually as a dubious way of controlling the masses. My problem with organised religion (I'm not an Atheist) is that it is always the word of man, not the word of God, and all religious dogma and ritual is man made. For example you say above that "God said he is the only one who can pass judgement" and he also said "Judge not, lest ye be judged" no he didn't. It was the people that wrote the Bible that said those things, not an all mighty being.

My other beef with 'some' so called religious people is that they don't practise what they preach. They talk about "Thou shalt not kill" and then support the state execution of a murderer or a B52 dropping 10 tons of bombs on a town full of people........hypocrites!

Beth

Is that all you have to say on the subject Vic? :lol:

I agree with what you're saying to an extent, and yes religion has been created by man usually as a dubious way of controlling the masses. My problem with organised religion (I'm not an Atheist) is that it is always the word of man, not the word of God, and all religious dogma and ritual is man made. For example you say above that "God said he is the only one who can pass judgement" and he also said "Judge not, lest ye be judged" no he didn't. It was the people that wrote the Bible that said those things, not an all mighty being.

My other beef with 'some' so called religious people is that they don't practise what they preach. They talk about "Thou shalt not kill" and then support the state execution of a murderer or a B52 dropping 10 tons of bombs on a town full of people........hypocrites!

Beth

Well don't you understand BB(do you mind if I call you BB) that thats the great thing about the Jeudeo-Christain-Islamic (yes they are all the same) belief system is that it takes you out of control and therefor responsibility for you actions. Meaning that you can do absolutely atrocious acts against your fellow (and created in gods image) man as long as you repent or as long they don't believe in your god cause that makes it ok too. On a related and amusing note, Pagan is defined in most dictionaries as a person who doesn't acknowledge or believe in your god. So you all are pagans to me hahaha! :roflmao: But seriously people If I've offended anyone by what I've said then I apologize. Seriously I don't need you cursing my name and banishing me to hell with all the other Devil worshipers and baby eaters(would that make me a cannibal?). As always have a nice day

Alerek

Talking of the Devil reminds me of some Jehovah's Witnesses who once knocked on my door. I don't know if you have these guys in the States, but in England they come around on a Sunday to debate the Bible with you, usually when you are just about to eat. Most people hide behind the curtains, turn off the lights and pretend they are not at home. Not me, I invite them in for a chat. Not only do I enjoy a debate, but once they have spent a couple of hours in your house being shown books on Geology and Evolution they flee and never knock on your door again.

Anyway, once they knocked on the door and I invited them in for a cup of tea (they were stunned). When we got around to talking about fossils they told me that fossils are not the remains of prehistoric life, rather they are put in the rock by the Devil to fool people like me. This led us into a long debate about the Devil (mainly why the Devil of the New Testament is so different to the Satan of the Old Testament and why there is no real Devil in the Islamic tradition) after which they made their excuses, left me with some leaflets showing a picture of people laying on the grass next to a couple of lions (is that wise?) and headed for the door.

They said they would love to keep talking, but they are very busy. I said okay, and that I look forward to seeing them again next Sunday........haven't seen them since!!

Beth

Talking of the Devil reminds me of some Jehovah's Witnesses who once knocked on my door. I don't know if you have these guys in the States, but in England they come around on a Sunday to debate the Bible with you, usually when you are just about to eat. Most people hide behind the curtains, turn off the lights and pretend they are not at home. Not me, I invite them in for a chat. Not only do I enjoy a debate, but once they have spent a couple of hours in your house being shown books on Geology and Evolution they flee and never knock on your door again.

Anyway, once they knocked on the door and I invited them in for a cup of tea (they were stunned). When we got around to talking about fossils they told me that fossils are not the remains of prehistoric life, rather they are put in the rock by the Devil to fool people like me. This led us into a long debate about the Devil (mainly why the Devil of the New Testament is so different to the Satan of the Old Testament and why there is no real Devil in the Islamic tradition) after which they made their excuses, left me with some leaflets showing a picture of people laying on the grass next to a couple of lions (is that wise?) and headed for the door.

They said they would love to keep talking, but they are very busy. I said okay, and that I look forward to seeing them again next Sunday........haven't seen them since!!

Beth

That is very funny. And yes we have those here. When they show up I always let them do there sales pitch. Then , because I'm a salesman,I will point out what they did wrong and will offer to come to their church and hold a training seminar. They always decline :rolleyes: . I have a friend who will answer the door in a bloody butchers apron and invite then in for dinner. They decline that offer too.

Alerek

I consider myself to be agnostic. I grew up believing in God because it seemed everyone did so I was only going with the social norm. However, I spent my last three years of highschool in a Catholic School and needless to say they jaded me so now I don't believe anything. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a higher force because something must've created all this but I don't really believe in a God or an afterlife even though I hope I'm wrong. So agnostic is good for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Christian. to the last poster, seek out God outside the paradigm of the catholic church. God is not confined to a denomination nor is his word(Bible).

I have Jehova's witness relatives and they explained their belief's to me and I just stood there and asked why believ in something that has no hope. Alas, God allows people to make their own decisions whether right or wrong, so must I. (Who am I to impose my will on people anyways?)

• 1 month later...

i am very curious, for those of you who do not feel any of the choices reflect your personal beliefs, how would you explain them? i mean do you belong to a religion not listed? or do you feel more spiritual than 'religious' in hte sense the word religion is being used here? are you monotheistic or polytheistic? do you believe in animism or another form of worship? I am actually very interested in what others believe in, especially when the options given do not describe it. WOuld you feel comfortable elaborating on here?

• 4 months later...

Buddhist here. I'm a Chan Buddhist. I'm also a Confucianist by primary social value, not a religion per se. With a very minor tint of Sunni Islam? :lol:

No, I don't associate myself with Dalai Lama who tries to mislead the western public to think that he represents all Buddhist sects. By the way, I don't personally like Dalai Lama.

Christian...but I have great respect for anyone who has a well thought out position on religion, whether Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim, agnostic, atheist, etc.

I think it's a shame that so many people have had bad experiences with organized religion and have been turned off by it. I do understand - it's far too common and very hard to get past if at all. And for so many reasons...

It's also a shame that some people have been turned off because they see the evil that has been done in the name of faith (whether Christianity, Islam or whatever...). It is true - bad people have done bad things throughout time and much of it has been done in the name of religion. It's too bad to deny the good that has been done by so many good people (also within and outside religion). Have you ever heard of someone claiming to have done something in the name of atheism?? So religion tends to get a rap... Good people do good things, bad people do bad things. We aren't perfect and even good people mess up and do some stupid, crummy things... It's too bad to completely associate that with religion and then get turned off by it. Its the human condition - good vs evil - and can be found in or out of religious circles.

I think it's an even bigger shame that many people simply believe what is jammed down their throat in terms of faith - questions, doubts, personal beliefs are all important in my mind. I'm very suspect when someone wants to tell me what God says. I'll tell you what I say - I'll tell you what I believe God might be saying, but I can't be so sure...I'm only human.

I suppose some people do truly believe that some humans are higher and closer to God and so in a better position to hear God's word...maybe that's true, but who do you trust to tell you that??? I personally just think we're all the same in God's eyes.

So that's my slant on it - just statements and I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. Again, I appreciate anyone who has actually thought out their position on faith and are willing to continue to think about it with an open mind.

diaperpt

I'm much with you(and jealous that you got to say all this before me :lol: )

I voted Christian but I'm nowhere near what any organized group claims to be :D I have yet to find anyone who shares my beliefs, all are Bible, experience, and common-sense driven ones. I've read the Bible(including the books which 'organized religion' had removed from it), much of the Koran, some of the Book of Mormon, some Bhuddist texts, and a bit of many other obscure religious writings. Based on all of the above I believe:

1- There is a "god" of some kind; there is far too much diversity of life for it to have only evolved.

2- This 'god' cannot be omnipotent and all-knowing unless he's also uncaring. If he cares he can't be the reverse. Similarly 'free will' cannot coexist with with an 'all knowing' god.

3- There is a powerful force in spirituality which can be tapped into and added to, and I've personally experienced the power of it's 'good' side'

4- This life is only a part of a bigger experience though I don't know what that is

5- Organized religion was probably started as people discussing their perceptions of the unknown but has evolved into a propaganda business that indoctrinates people so deeply based on 'faith' that they happily swallow the contradictory nature of it's teachings. Religious 'leaders' are just politicians of a different ilk, who similarly do not like being questioned on what they do or say.

6- There is no single path to any of the Heavens(and the Bible speaks of more than one :o ) so long as one's intent is to do good by and for mankind as a whole without hate ot war as a tool.

If I had to choose a religion that I thought was best for mankind it would be Bhuddism only because it is the most peaceful and tolerant of all the major established religions. Of all of my deep studies religion has been the deepest, though I no longer bother with it since I have settled the issue in my own heart ;) And if 'kissing butt' for personal gain is wrong(which it so obviously is), then it is also wrong to do that to any god who therefore cannot be good if he requires that of you. Besides, if they are big enough to be god, they can darn well take care of themselves without my added support, can't they? :lol: IMHO, there is only one 'true religion' and that is a simple unabashed and unbiased search for truth and good wherever it is to be found, and to learn from that how to live my own life B) Yin and Yan, good and evil, positive and negative; all are a part of this existence and maybe we're here to learn how to distinguish between them and learn which one is best :) And maybe not :huh:

Bettypooh

• 4 months later...

i consider myself a christian though not a dedicated one that is super involved with church. i do believe in god and also Jesus because honestly if god is all powerful or at least you believe that god is all powerful i wouldn't say that its a stretch that god can have a son born of a virgin. i would say that when it comes to different forms of Christianity they cant all be right and i believe that to say that one person is gods best friend and god tells them this and that is purely 100% unadulterated BS. as for why different forms exist its a matter of 2 things, 1st: different translations spawn different ideas and you cant have every1 believing everything all the time. 2nd: when some people find faults in religions such as when Martin Luther ( not Martin Luther King/jr ) they wont want to follow that religion but nonetheless they may feel that they need religion and as such will form a different version of the religion and by publicly displaying the faults such as him hanging the 95 theses they soon find out that others are willing to follow and that religion survives. as for other religions i wont say that any other religion is 100% right but i will say that i find that some ideas of other religions are good ideas such as the Hindu idea of karma ( what goes around comes around ) and Muslim's idea of those that can afford to do so giving to charity.

with all that is wrong these day's the common person that cares for the world and its problems cant do much and those that can don't really care and only spend on themselves which when this involves other markets and not local markets ( Europe for exotic/luxury car's such as Ferrari's and Lamborghini's the list goes on and on ) local markets suffer. i haven't taken any courses on economics im just saying this because while people spending in local markets wont and cant solve everything ( not directly or immediately anyways ) its a good start ( its common sense that when there is a lot of money floating around and people get their hands on this money them feeling that they can spend money helps the economy ). i am in no way saying that people should not save money and should spend it in local markets. im just saying that the economy can easily be fixed but those with money to spend would have to start spending it in local markets or we truly cant go in a positive direction. i dont feel that this will happen anytime soon because these days many people are either just to cheap to spend anything or they are greedy and only spend money on themselves usually in foreign markets.

the top part stays on topic while the bottom part is completely off topic anyways if its too long you dont have to read it but feel free to do so if and when you are bored, please dont complain about anything though.