• a Buddhist
    • a Mormom
    • a Scientologist
    • an islamist
    • agnostic
    • athiest
    • undecided
    • a Pagan

I am a mormon. We are, as said before, considered Christian. I don't think this fetish of mine would go along with the church, but I strongly believe in God and Jesus Christ. I cannot deny the existance of God, but I don't think I follow the exact teachings of a mormon.

I voted undecided.

I was raised Baptist but I can't accept the idea that non Christians (on this globe there are a LOT of them) are going to hell because they havent accepted Christ as thier savior.

I think I am a pluralist.

Anondl

I voted Mormon...

It's true that Mormons differ from traditional Christianity in various ways, but when it comes down to it, we believe in Jesus Christ and His mission to save mankind, and the Old and New Testaments of the Bible... and as for me, as I've struggled with the conflict between my love of diapers and my faith in my religion I have come to the understanding that there is nothing wrong or sinful with me wearing a diaper. I am a practicing Mormon, I attend my meetings and serve in the church, and as far as I know, for the reasons that I choose to wear diapers there is nothing against it the teachings of the church.

That's just my 2 cents, I'm gonna go back to lurking now.

I grew up Jewish...., At least that's what we told the Jehovah's witnesses that came to the door :P

I was actually raised atheist, but found paganism to be more my thing

Christian...but I have great respect for anyone who has a well thought out position on religion, whether Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim, agnostic, atheist, etc.

I think it's a shame that so many people have had bad experiences with organized religion and have been turned off by it. I do understand - it's far too common and very hard to get past if at all. And for so many reasons...

It's also a shame that some people have been turned off because they see the evil that has been done in the name of faith (whether Christianity, Islam or whatever...). It is true - bad people have done bad things throughout time and much of it has been done in the name of religion. It's too bad to deny the good that has been done by so many good people (also within and outside religion). Have you ever heard of someone claiming to have done something in the name of atheism?? So religion tends to get a rap... Good people do good things, bad people do bad things. We aren't perfect and even good people mess up and do some stupid, crummy things... It's too bad to completely associate that with religion and then get turned off by it. Its the human condition - good vs evil - and can be found in or out of religious circles.

I think it's an even bigger shame that many people simply believe what is jammed down their throat in terms of faith - questions, doubts, personal beliefs are all important in my mind. I'm very suspect when someone wants to tell me what God says. I'll tell you what I say - I'll tell you what I believe God might be saying, but I can't be so sure...I'm only human.

I suppose some people do truly believe that some humans are higher and closer to God and so in a better position to hear God's word...maybe that's true, but who do you trust to tell you that??? I personally just think we're all the same in God's eyes.

So that's my slant on it - just statements and I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. Again, I appreciate anyone who has actually thought out their position on faith and are willing to continue to think about it with an open mind.

diaperpt

I'm a devoted Atheist, though I was raised Christian... that was until I reached the age of reason. I have grown to loath a particular kind of religious extreminism, which is the kind that goes beyond mere belief. These are the types who claim to know where everything came from and that the existance of God, Allah, the Flying Spagetti Monster, etc. is a confirmed fact. To say that I KNOW as if that was factual truth with no evidence to prove their beliefs is simple ignorance. As a practitioner of rationality and reason (better known as science), I need more concrete proof than scripture written in a book thousands of years ago, which has also been revised countless times and in some cases, changed completely. The myths and metophors of the bible, etc. make a lovely fairytale or bedtime story, but in my opinion, faith is little more than an ancient way to explain things that we were too primative to understand at the time. Since science is relatively new to the realm of humanity with its greatest successes, theories, and hypothosis being conducted in the last few centuries, we of the rational mind can't possibly claim to have knowledge of the unknown. The mysteries of life's origin or even the possiblity of life after death are just some of the secrets we may never know. To say that what is written in the holy book is proof alone is the equivelant of saying it was on TV so it must be true. For those of you who are religious and still give science it's due, my hat is off to you. I don't wish to persecute religion, but I do retain a level of distaste for anyone who wishes to hinder scientific achievement and the furthering of civilization's development, just to retain their beliefs over evidence. For example, by trying to teach intelligent design in a biology classroom or by referring to evolution as theory rather than fact, despite the mounting facts that prove otherwise. The latter was actually brought up in Tennessee by a senetor who claimed that "by teaching evolution as fact rather than theory would undermine the existence of God." In other words, by teaching a possible scientific fact in a Biology class would possibly sway impressionable young minds to stop believing in superstitious nonsense. I do not apologize to people who disagree or to anyone who is offended by my remarks. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, after all. In closing, religion doesn't belong in a science class and those of the fanatical state of mind should try to find more convincing evidence than the stories they've been programmed to believe over the last few millenia. To have faith for the sake of bettering one's own life, well that I have no right to stand in the way of - as long as they can at least stand aside as well when science takes the floor. Coexistence is what I seek, but as long as extremists continue to belittle and hinder rational thought, I will continue to fight against religious oppression.

How about this - God created evolution and left it up to life itself to make its own progress. See! Coexistence can be possible!!!

"Science has all the answers, we just don't have all the science... But hey, we're still evolving."

An Islamist is a Muslim, also.

And Mormons, while considered Christian, are usually not lumped in so when it comes to religious questions. Catholics usually aren't either. I don't know the reason, however.

I'm undecided, but I do believe in God. I just don't have faith in man to keep the religion of Jesus as it was back in Jesus' time.

They are not lumped into the term Christian because the person doing the lumping is un-familiar with the true term of Christianity.

Christianity is the basic belief that Jesus died for your sins to give you an option to make it to heaven. I know Mormon's and Catholics believe that. Hell Catholics have a statue of Jesus hanging in church to remind you every time you go to worship. That is the basis for the religion of Christianity. The offshoots of Catholicism are known are the protestant religions. So basically if you are not Catholic but believe that Jesus died for the forgiveness of your sins then you are Christian and part of one of the protestant religions. We can thank Martin Luther for that one.

I am unsure about Islam however because of their stout belief of Mohammad which overshadows Jesus... Although I could be wrong I am just beginning a book about Islam so I don't have much knowledge of the religion yet.

As for me I am agnostic although I am a trite bit religious. I believe the book of the bible is generally good and the intentions of many organized religions are generally good. Unfortunately the Bible also says that the pathway to heaven is paved with good intentions. Organized religions as a whole scare me because it is always one persons interpretation on how I am supposed to live my life, not my interpretation. Not to mention all those multitudes of people who have died or killed in the name of their religion. It also bothers me that the head leaders of anyone said religion are busy getting fat off of their religion. It sticks in my throat when I hear and see those people bankrolling their religion.

With all of the different walks of life on this earth and how awesome everything we see, hear, smell, touch, or explore are it; is hard to believe that God would be so narrow minded. How could god, the person who supposedly made all of this say..... "If you are not part of ONE religion then you are going to be cast down to hell." There are lots of decent people out there living good lives who are not Christian, so why would God, if he is so all knowing and caring cast those people down to the depths of hell?

Ah, sorry for the rant! LOL I have spent some time studying religions and I'm going to have to say spirituality and or being a decent loving person is what they are all trying to teach.

~Brian

Christian with some pseudo-Pagan elements. I don't belong to any specific denomination, but I have no problem saying I'm Christian. I know a lot of people are uncomfortable with organized religion, but as long as one doesn't get so wrapped up in the rituals and scriptures as to lose sight of the fundamental truths, I don't see how it can hurt. Other people might abuse the religion for cash, sex, pride or what have you, but that's their problem, not the religion's; these people are not worth overhauling one's own faith. I'm not promoting organized religion as THE way to experience God--I don't exactly follow an organized religion myself--I'm just saying you need not abandon or avoid a particular faith because of what other people do. For every person who defiles a doctrine, there are plenty of others who make decent, healthy use of that same doctrine.

Any path that protects you from evil and leads you safely to God, be it "mainstream" or "alternative," is good in my book.

Im an atheist. So a recent poll in the USA said that atheists were the most untrusted people in the US. Gays did way better on the trust scale. Now what do I do?

Silly Ricky! :P Since your atheism cancels out any trustworthiness your gayness allowed you, you'll just have to stay here in Canada and not go hopping over the border looking for people to trust you!

Silly Ricky! :P Since your atheism cancels out any trustworthiness your gayness allowed you, you'll just have to stay here in Canada and not go hopping over the border looking for people to trust you!

you made me :roflmao: ! Daddy was laughing too. If you believe in a god then say a prayer or burn some candles for him cause he has an interview for a job in Canada soon. :angel_not:

If you believe in a god then say a prayer or burn some candles for him cause he has an interview for a job in Canada soon

Sorry, I'm an atheist too, so my prayers aren't likely to do him much good. ;) And I'd burn some candles but I'm not allowed to play with matches and candles anymore after almost setting a family member on fire. :(

Sorry, I'm an atheist too, so my prayers aren't likely to do him much good. ;) And I'd burn some candles but I'm not allowed to play with matches and candles anymore after almost setting a family member on fire. :(

Im not allowed to either. daddy would spank me!!!! :(

don't think he needs the prayers though but maybe you could cross your legs. I cant cause im in a real thick diaper! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm studying Judaism (wow, there seems to be very few Jewish people here. LOL) to convert at the moment, however I wasn't really raised anything.

My father always claimed he was Jewish, but me being adopted, and Jewish faith being passed on through the mother, I didn't exactly fit that blood line. Then afterwards, we found out that about 98% of the tripe my father claimed was just that, worthless tripe. When I was about 6, I remember going to a few Christian church services with my mom. That didn't last long however when the minister decided to play "excorcist" on my mom and accuse her of being the daughter of the devil because of her mental illnesses. Some of my mom's family are Jehovah's Wittnesses, meaning my Aunt, her youngest daughter, and my grandparents and for a little while, I got sucked into that cult because it was a "family" thing. I basically was just trying to follow along with them because a )I was pretty much living with them 90% of ther time when my parents were ill, b )I respected them as MY family more than my parents so I wanted to be just like them, and c ) I was 7.

When I was in my early teen years, I had Christian friends and to feel accepted by them, I gave it a dabble too. When my daughter was born (I was a teen mother) I named her Faith on a spur of the moment thought.

After a while, I found that really, no matter what I did, Christianity didn't really do anything for me. I didn't feel "centered" or "connected" with "their" God, so I did not see the point of worshipping someone I could not feel at all. However, when I discovered Judaism from a close Jewish friend of mine a few years back, something in me clicked with that, emotionally, and I decided to pursue it.

Over all though, I respect whatever religion people decide to follow, I'm not an evangelist, and I don't go around saying "If you do not follow MY God or MY religion, you are going to hell." Do unto others as you would have do unto you. I wouldn't expect someone to force their beliefs down my throat, so I will not do the same. I also don't believe there's such a thing as the "right" religion either. I believe if you're Christian, Muslim, Atheist, Agnostic, whatever you decide to believe in, don't let anyone ever tell you it's wrong. The name of Faith, is there for a reason, it stands for and by personal belief.

Besides, when it all comes down to it, do we really KNOW what exactly is the "right" belief? Do we really KNOW these things exsist for us when we die? No, not really. But our own faith tells us there is. If it is true what the entire bible says (both old and new testament) then God wants us to find him, so really, these people like evangelists, Jehovah's Wittnesses, etc, forcing them into doing something because of fear ("you'll burn in enternal damnnation!") or threats ("you won't make it to heaven/paradise" if you do not follow The Truth") is pretty much pointless and not doing what God intended, which is finding him via our own hearts, our own beliefs, and our own faiths.

That being said though; I still think that no matter what religion you follow each and every day; as long as you treat living kind alike with courtesy, and you do things with good intentions that do not harm yourself or others, then I don't see what the issue is. I think life (or in some cases, the afterlife) depends on how you LIVE it, if you live a negative life, you're going to have a negative outcome, if you try to live a positive life with a good heart, chances are, you're going to have a good result. What goes around comes around I think. You reap what you sow, and you sow what you wish to reap.

Kneel at the alter of science and technology.(NB. Not to be confused by them fruit loop scientology lemons)

I've just started a new religion and i'm going with at least one rule other religions have: Do not worship false gawds. Why else is there so many security features in bank notes, so you know which ones to worship.

So come on down join my religion, it's only $9,999.99 to join (Only $99.99 for poor people and those flirty must try all religions before i die sorts).

baby Kitten, I am sorry you had such a bad time with a Christian Church. I believe there are nutball leaders in no matter which religion you practice. Look at all the Catholic priests who abuse those they are supposed to shepherding into the kingdom. I believe most of those people will get their just reward (or punishment) in the afterlife.

I am a Christian, as you may have guessed, and go to a very Conservative Holiness church. I do believe that each person has the right to worship the way they choose to.

That's exactly the way I see it, too. Faith is to be a belief in your heart and something you should be choosing out of freewill. However some evangelists in religions tend to use fear in the work of trying to suck others in. (At least from my experiences) I've had several things I've been through in life that haven't been really pleasant, perhaps it's ignorance theat makes me shun the idea that God has helped me get through those times.

Maybe He did, maybe He didn't. My life recently (since the beginning of this year) is in an extremely fragile place at the moment and so I guess I'm just trying to find myself back on that plain I was just a few months back. I've been suffering incrediable panic attacks lately and I seem to be frightened for them every day after I'd been having so much progress. At this stage saying to myself "I'll get through it like always" I don't really believe. I will someday, but honestly, whether it's through God or just my own mental will-power, I don't know. I'm just taking it one day at a time and hopefully I'll find that relaxed happiness again to be myself.

• 1 month later...

I am an ordained minister. I am an athiest.

I would recommend to everyone to pick up it was either december 07 or january 08 issue of psychology today. They had a very interesting article in it about athiests in the church. It interviewed people from many different faiths who were reverends, ministers, priests etc... in their religion, but were also athiests. It gave some interesting insights.

Its important to remember believing in religion and believe in a god, or gods, are two very different things. You do not have to abscribed to any specific religion to believe in a god who created the earth, or the universe.

Theist - person who believes in a personal god who takes an interest in human affairs.

Deist - person who believes that god created the universe/earth, but has had no influence over anything that happened thereafter and completely removed its/his/her self from what happens after the creation.

Because a person has had a bad experience with religion does not mean that person cannot still believe in God, or in jesus, allah, yaweh etc...

Interesting, no scientologists among us.... must be because they are all movie stars off making movies

I happen to be a Catholic and believe in a goodly chunk of what the Church teaches, at least as far as there being a God who created the universe, but I have huge problems with alot of other portions. The biggest problem I have is the huge amount of intolerance the Church exhibits with anyone that doesnt tote the official line. If you're gay, you're going to hell. If you are divorced, without having received an annulment you cant receive Communion. If you engage in any kind of sexual activity outside the normal sphere of things, you're doomed to the pit of fire. This is absolutely ridiculous, and I dont believe that it was what Christ intended. At the moment, I'm very much trying to find my own way, a path that defines what I truly believe. I still identify as Christian, but thats it. I dont know where my faith is going, but its a route that must be traveled.