LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Windows Or Apple

Question for those who have bought a Mac..do they come with any software installed? I'm thinking my next computer purchase is going to be a macbook and would mainly use it for surfing the net, itunes, and word processing. I know apple has its own software suite like MS office (can't remember the name off hand) and I was wondering if the computer comes with that or do you have to buy it seperatly? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Right now I dual boot XP MCE, and Vista. I tried to get OSx86 to run but my AMD 2400 BE prevents me from playing games. Tried Ubuntu and it looks pretty, better looking then Vista (but don't like doing everything in Terminal). The only reason why I run a 32 bit OS is because that driver support for 64 bit is kinda lame for older TV tuner cards. I am running Vista most of the time, only run MCE to play games. Vista isnt as bad as most people make it to be, as long as you have the PC to run it. As far as games are concerned if you have a 256 MB Vid Card you will definitely get a high frame rate. I have a crappy ATI HD 2400 128 bit. I cant wait to upgrade it.

Right now I dual boot XP MCE, and Vista. I tried to get OSx86 to run but my AMD 2400 BE prevents me from playing games. Tried Ubuntu and it looks pretty, better looking then Vista (but don't like doing everything in Terminal). The only reason why I run a 32 bit OS is because that driver support for 64 bit is kinda lame for older TV tuner cards. I am running Vista most of the time, only run MCE to play games. Vista isnt as bad as most people make it to be, as long as you have the PC to run it. As far as games are concerned if you have a 256 MB Vid Card you will definitely get a high frame rate. I have a crappy ATI HD 2400 128 bit. I cant wait to upgrade it.

Yup 64 bit driver support for older hardware sucks, mind you it's not always that good in vista. They should have dumped 32 and only made vista 64. MS did say their next OS would be only 64bit but have backpeddled on that.

Things right with Vista

Not bad looking, DX10, some nice features...errr and a few other things

Things wrong with vista

Hardly any DX10 software, decent machine needed to run it, file transfers..SP1 makes it even worse!!!

Some bazar breaking up of features over the different versions, moving settings and option for no good reason other than to move them. The cost (snigger)

Oh yea i can see it being only 3 maybe 4 at a push years before the next OS is out.

I mainly use XP Pro.

Macs..whats to say they ok for a wo*ks machine for a home machine errr no..way more negatives than positives.

Pay too much, then to upgrade on the whole it's dump and buy new.

End of the day though if it's good for purpose it's good.

^^^Word

I'm surprised others run linux here. Anyway, I run debian on my server and ubuntu and my personal PC's. So, linux. Btw the mac OS is based on BSD so a lot/most of the command in a terminal are the same in linux or mac.

No Word thank you, I've got OpenOffice!

Anyways...

I have Ubuntu 64-bit on my main PC, with Kubuntu-Desktop installed, so I can use either DE. I only actually use Gnome though. KDE is just there so the KDE apps will run.

I HAD Familiar with Opie on my Pocket PC, but the WiFi drivers weren't functional, so I had to go back to CE till they finish the WiFi.

Debian on the iMac in the kitchen.

I plan on exploring OpenSuSe, but I know I'm not switching. I don't like how OpenSuSe is set up, but I want to be very comfortable using it.

• 4 months later...

I use VISTA at work. It has all the same glitches as the previous Microsoft products, and many of the things I do in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel) have changed drastically. I had to rewrite all my macros.

Although I've never tried Mac products, I'd be willing to give it a go. The only thing I'm afraid of is that as a writer, most publishing places I work with need files that are Microsoft compatible.

Actually, the files are eventually converted to Adobe.pdf format, but I'm not sure about using Mac to do what I've always done in Microsoft...so I guess I'm stuck with all the glitches that plague Windows.

Personally, I always had less trouble typing manuscripts on a typewriter but those days are gone forever.

Baby June 7/20/2008

Guest Sissy lil Lucy

Well I've just turned my Vita laptop into a dual boot with Kubuntu (I tried just ubuntu, but I quite like KDE)

It was quite an effort to get it going (the dual boot that is) but now I'm almost always using Kubuntu only go back to Vista to play Sims 2.

Will just have to see if I can make it run everything for Uni when September comes

Lucy

... a Linux convert .... :D

• 2 years later...

Hey their i was just wondering what people are using for a operating system. i run a Macbook Pro 17" 2.16 Intel Core Duo 2GB Ram with a

120GB Hard drive with a external 500Gb Hard Drive for Time Machine which is part of Leopard. So just wondering what people use apples or windows

Neither.

Puddin's all Mac. I have a Mac Pro and a Macbook ~ tho my aging Macbook is soon to be replaced with one of the beautiful new Macbook Air's ♥ Which means I'll likely give my current Macbook to Soapy. I use Windows sometimes, and have flirted with Linux (tho I don't find it to be in the same 'league' in terms of OS) as well as various flavors of Solaris and BSD (which OSX technically is anyway) but in the end I'm always most comfortable in my MacOSX land. I'm looking so forward to Lion!~ ★

And of course, I also own an iPhone4 (as well as a 3GS, a 3G and an EDGE..)

Dual boot XP (for gaming) and Vista (for everyday stuff). I also run a number of VMs - Win95, Win98, another XP install & an Ubuntu 10.10 install that never seems to work right. The VMs are mainly for cross-browser testing of web development projects - they have a wide variety of different browsers and versions between them. I also use the XP VM for my ABDL stuff, just to keep it separate from the real world.

There's also a Mac in the house but I can't stand it. I've always found them really cumbersome and awkward to use.

Dual boot XP (for gaming) and Vista (for everyday stuff). I also run a number of VMs - Win95, Win98, another XP install & an Ubuntu 10.10 install that never seems to work right. The VMs are mainly for cross-browser testing of web development projects - they have a wide variety of different browsers and versions between them. I also use the XP VM for my ABDL stuff, just to keep it separate from the real world.

There's also a Mac in the house but I can't stand it. I've always found them really cumbersome and awkward to use.

I don't get Ubuntu 10 .... 8 works great even now, but for some reason even I have problems with 10 and wind up having to tweak everything.

This thread got bumped a bit, didn't it? :D

Either way, I'm glad it's being so civil.

I use both!

I have a small 13" Macbook Pro that I use for my DJing and live audio work, with a custom added 1.5 terabyte internal drive.

I use a dual core Intel Core i5 13" Thinkpad running Windows 7 for my design work at work, including Flash creation, Photo editing, art, in illustrator, creation in powerpoint and captivate and articulate, and creation in Visio.

I use a Dual-Dual core HP system running... I don't remember what the processor is for fun stuff. Gaming and the like.

I use a custom built (by me!) quad processor 3.4 ghz PC with windows 7 for my video editing and most of my at-home gaming.

I also have built a laptop identical to the third one and a Dual Processor 2.6Ghz Windows 7 system for my mate so we can game together. :D

I use the dreaded Windows Vista (cue scary dramatic music)!!! But all in all I have not had too many problems with it. My computer would run Windows 7 just fine but don't have the cash really to upgrade. You know the irony is for years I couldn't afford a new computer and when I finally get one Vista is pretty new and came on the computer and THAT'S the crap Windows product I get stuck with. Oh well.

Linux rocks!

I can run Linux on a machine that is too slow for XP and too old (or low-powered) for Vista, and it still runs VERY smoothly.

I've used quite a few distro's, and many versions of each:

Red Hat (now Fedora)

Slackware

Mandrake (now Mandriva)

SuSE/openSuSE

Gentoo

Sabayon (derived from Gentoo)

(and a few other small-time distro's)

The best thing about Linux: NEVER a price tag (unless you choose to pay for premium tech support service or a premium version of the OS), whether for initial installation or future upgrades/releases.

It's a fun toy to tinker around with, that's true. I don't think I'd ever trust my school work to it, tho ♥ At the end of the day, I'll always be a Mac girl.

I've trusted nearly a TB's worth of data on a Linux file-server for over 6 years with no hassles at all. (Even had over 6 months of uninterrupted "up-time" one that server, which was only interrupted by a power blackout...)

Pah. Six months uptime. I've had Linux servers with uptimes wrapping around because they would only go to, I don't recall, three years or so. And I now run a 21 TB fileserver, filled for 45% on CentOS 5.5. Only problems I have with it are hardware related because the Areca RAID controller is acting a bit flakey.

Other than that, I detest Steve Jobs since I got burned by an Ipod Nano G2 that looked beautiful but had some serious flaws. And would not run Rockbox (at the time). So I run Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my 24/7 low-power general purpose internet box and win2k, xp and 7 on the several other machines I use for those tasks I don't have a proper Linux app for. On servers I never use Microsoft product. Who needs a GUI on a frikkin' server?!? At work I do administer win03/08 server machines. That is... awkward.

I have 4 computers all windows machines, however I am considering turning one into a dual boot with Linux....That being said I have a Iphone 3g and I know a number of people who swear by the thing...I tend to swear at it...I don't know I prefer the android operating system for my phone (had one but At&t offered a better plan so I got the Iphone....Wish I didn't I miss my android and I had the first one made (T-Mobile G1.) So I guess what I have to say is Mac, its just not for me...Steve can keep it....