LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Has there been a study on number of ABDL's that need to wear?

lol when you wear for fun it's nice, you can pick and choose the days you wear. But when you have to wear for medical some days it sucks. I am sure as many years as this website has been around there is hand full of us that have went from abdl to medical.

I know in the past I have read a lot of posts here from people who have turned to AB/DL as a way to help cope with the fact that they somehow became incontinent and have to wear diapers.  Weather it's from an accident they were in or just a medical issue over time including surgery that left them incontinent, many have turned to AB as a way to cope with having to wear diapers for actual need.  Even so, I think for the majority of AB/DL's, it was something in their life other than actual incontinence that made them want to wear diapers and be AB/DL.

Although I was officially toilet trained before I turned 3, my bladder was tiny and over-active. The same was true for my sisters, mother and her mother. Growing up Mom asked us to wear "just-in-case" diapers on trips ans to events where toilets were hard to find. I just thought of diapers as another kind of undies. After I graduated from law school I got depressed by all the logistics of by then having no bladder control. When I compained to my youngest sister, she told me about ABDL. For me that became mt coping strategy. It works for me and also for many other incontinent people.

3 hours ago, Angela Bauer said:

Although I was officially toilet trained before I turned 3, my bladder was tiny and over-active. The same was true for my sisters, mother and her mother. Growing up Mom asked us to wear "just-in-case" diapers on trips ans to events where toilets were hard to find. I just thought of diapers as another kind of undies. After I graduated from law school I got depressed by all the logistics of by then having no bladder control. When I compained to my youngest sister, she told me about ABDL. For me that became mt coping strategy. It works for me and also for many other incontinent people.

How does it help you cope?

2 hours ago, mewtwo said:

How does it help you cope?

@mewtwo

As @Angela Bauer  says, there are many of us that choose coping strategies.  Being Incontinent myself, I have chosen to use Diapers to be able to deal with the situation, but that does NOT mean that you cannot enjoy some of the "perks" it can bring:  One is, that you don't have to JUMP UP and RUN to the bathroom when you feel the need to release.  She has Fun being diapered - I enjoy the fact that once I have a diaper on, I don't have to worry about it when I have to release.  I may have to deal with the aftermath, but I don't have to hurt myself getting in there and make a mess all over the place.

Another "perk" is that Diapers allow me to do all three actions in the diaper, then throw it away, which saves on making a mess in your undies:  Diapers are designed to deal with all the Pee/Poop/Goo you can throw at it, so might as well enjoy the feeling that it gives me! :) My Garywear Brief can contain the mess, and usually all day, and then I can just empty my bladder when I change when I arrive home. 

Third, as with @Angela Bauer there are certain things, like Powder, oil, lotion, or other smells that can help me to RELAX myself:  I get so TIGHT, that putting any of these things on makes me relax, and I NEED to do that sometimes, and to release all the stress:  what better way than to diaper yourself up, grab a bottle or a paci and then suck to your heart's content?

Last:  When you are sick, Diapers can help you, because you don't have to run around and hurt yourself, and in some cases, you won't be able to make it to the bathroom fast enough if you are really sick - a Change is more frequent when ill, but as with the second perk, Diapers are designed to deal with this, and being incontinent, it is a LIFESAVER if you only have a half a nanosecond to realize you have to go!

That's how diapers help me to cope with my conditions :)

Brian

11 hours ago, rusty pins said:

Even so, I think for the majority of AB/DL's, it was something in their life other than actual incontinence that made them want to wear diapers and be AB/DL.

I would suspect the numbers are consistent with what we see else where in the ABDL communities with regards to other triggers- whether it is abuse, prolonged bedwetting, delayed potty training, learning difficulties, social difficulties, and the variety of other issues that could be address.   Basically- the % of ABDLs who are physically incontinent is likely higher than what we would see if a random sample of the general public, but not enough to draw any correlation.   It is the same thing that we would see with bedwetting past eight years old, or delayed potty trained.   However, because it relies on self-identification, and that process is not 100% accurate- it would be tough to determine anything from the data.   By that I mean, an ABDL would more likely self-identify toileting issues (either in childhood or adult) compared to the general public.  There is that third component, which is using it as a coping mechanism.

In my case, I'm a cis-male born in a two-parent household with loving parents who were supportive and caring.   I progressed through school with passing grades, played sports through high school (not very well), and had functional friendships throughout school.   I was mostly potty trained by my fourth birthday (later than the median, but in the 10th percentile?) and didn't have bedwetting issues after I started school.   This is not a coping mechanism for abuse, incontinence, or anything.  It was present from at least six years old.