LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

At what age did you first wear a disposable diaper?

This topic is more for the older crowd on here. When I was growing up I don't remember that there were any disposable products. So bedwetting usually meant a rubber or vinyl mattress cover and soaked sheets and pjs once you stopped using cloth diapers. I didn't use a disposable product until I was in my early 30s. What's the experience of others on here about this?

About age 12.  I swiped a couple Pampers from diaper bags of visiting cousins when we had a huge family reunion at our new house.  Everyone was out in the back yard and I had many cousins still in diapers so I swiped a couple from their diaper bags.  Next day I put them in my underpants up in the hot attic and wet them.  WOW!  That hooked me on disposables!  Unfortunately, back then you couldn't get adult size disposable diapers in stores.  I had to make do with my home made diapers for about 6 more years until I could actually get disposable diapers in adult size.

First disposable product for me was the summer between my sophomore year and junior year in college.    The first adult disposables hit the Sears catalog just before that and I was trying to figure out how to get some when I stopped into a pharmacy near my summer job and noticed they were stocking them.    They started to become more readily available over the next few years (this would be 1979 or so).

I had been wearing cloth adult diapers of various sorts since high school.

33. Went through a pack of "Buddies" and that was it. Tried outers very VERY occasionally: Conclusion; they suck

ok so my story will seem like complete bs to the younger folks.. but I swear on my sons life this actually happened. I was 8 years old at the time and was at a sleep over birthday party at my mothers best friends house.  She had two boys one older and one younger than me. I have a long history with bedwetting and even having accidents during the day as well. My mothers  was well know for punishing me with diapers when I had those types of accidents . cloth and plastic pants were her diapers of choice. during  the party I threw caution to the wind and drank and ate way too much after the magical hour of 7 pm. I was also supposed to make sure I went to the bathroom three times before i climbed in bed. I was a young boy and having too much fun and went to bed without any of my normal precautions. 

About 3 am I woke up in a soaking wet bed and I was in full panic mode at that point. I didn't want the other kids to see I had wet the bed and sure as hell didn't want my mothers best friend to find out either.  I snuck off to the bathroom and got a couple towels and started blotting the bed to see if I could dry it enough to get away with what I did. Several of the boys in the room woke up and quickly figured out what I did. They woke up "aunt judy" ( we called her aunty but she was really just my moms best friend). When she got into the room I was  telling her I was sorry but she was very mad at me. i started to cry and she decided to call my mother.  my mother told her to put me on the phone and she told me she was very mad at me and this was going to be my last sleep over ever. She told me to give the phone back to aunt Judy and asked her if she had any diapers she could put me in.  Judy had seen me in diapers literally hundreds of times so really it wasn't anything new.  She told my mother she didn't think so but she would go look. Her kids were well past potty training so she felt is was very unlikely she would have any at all.  She handed the phone back to my mother who berated me on the phone telling me I was a major embarrassment to her. 

Aunt Judy returned and told my mother she found a couple pampers in the back of her closet and she would see if they fit me. My mother told her to spank me with a wooden spoon and put a pamper one me.  She handed me back the phone and my mother repeated what she told Judy to do. I started crying and begging. She took me down to the kitchen got a wooden spoon and took me back upstairs to her bedroom. She told me to strip my cloths off and get on the bed. I begged and pleaded more but  I knew it was going to happen.  I was spanked and they rolled over. She took the pamper and opened up up and held my legs up and slide it under me.  I was crying huge tears at that point, and watched in complete horror as she pulled the pamper up between my legs and fastened the tapes at each side of my waist. The damn thing fit me perfectly.  You have to remember this was the 70ies. Pampers were huge and lacked all the fancy leg gathers and waist bands. they were just pleated in the middle . They weren't exactly form fitting like they are today. They were super bulky and crinkled much louder than my usual plastic pants. 

I spend the rest of the night and into the next day without pants. I got to wear just a t shirt and my pampers. All the kids at the party tormented me. All I wanted to do was hide , but they made that nearly impossible. When my mother came to pick me up she laughed when she saw me in pampers and thanked Judy for taking care of my problem. Judy told my mother if I ever sleep over again I had to wear diapers from that point on. which my mother told her she didn't have a problem with.  Mother mother led me out to the car and we went home. My mother said she liked how loud the pampers were and that it was extremely obvious what  I was wearing just because of the crinkling. I cried the whole way home. once at home I spent a few more hour in the pamper until it was nearly bed time. By then it was well used so she put me in my usual cloth diapers and plastic pants and I spent two weeks in diapers for wetting aunties bed. She made me give her all of my saved money to have the mattress professionally cleaned.  

This wasn't my last pamper but they weren't used nearly as much as cloth diapers were. A few times I ended up in pampers when I would have an accident while we were our shopping or something of that nature, My mother wanted to embarrass me right away for having accidents and if we were out she would go buy me pampers since she learned how well they fit me. I got diapered in the back of the car screaming blood murder more times than I care to remember.  If we weren't finished shopping I got dragged around a store crying with no pants on.  Several ladies would ask my mother how old I was and she was quick to tell them I was much past the age of potty training. The ladies would tell me I should be embarrassed of myself a grown boy in diapers. 

As a teen I had to cobble together 3 Pampers to make one diaper, as I was far too big to fit into one. Two of the diapers made the back, and then one came up in the middle as the front.  A bunch of folding and taping later, and I had my "disposable diaper".  So for sake of argument I was 16 or so.

The first time I wore an adult "diaper" was some of the garbage bag green Depends, and immediately decided that didn't scratch the itch.  Most of the disposable diapers prior to Bambino didn't really scratch the itch much -- most had some form of ugly wetness indicator, some sort of ugly design, some even had 6 tapes instead of 2, etc.  

The actual diaper I did like was the ones available during Halloween that were larger versions of 70s Pampers.  Didn't have an Internet to search for them, so every Halloween I'd go around to the different costume stores and buy these diapers.  Around 2002 I found that these were being sold as Ables and/or wingfold diapers.  

Around 2005 when Classy Comfort and/or Bambino came out is when I started transitioning more from cloth diapers to disposable ones.  

22 hours ago, Glennie said:

ok so my story will seem like complete bs to the younger folks.

Of course it will!  The younger folks have no idea what a wooden spoon is!  :lol:

Seriously, your mom sounds like a sadist!  You had a history of bedwetting and so what if you drank a little too much or forgot to pee before going to bed.  It happens.  Diaper may have been one thing for the night for practical reasons, but the humiliation, spanking with the wooden spoon and all the rest when she picked you up was just horrible!  It turned what should have been a fun time for a 6 year old into a horrible experience that stayed with you all your life.  How anyone could treaty their precious child like that is beyond my comprehension.  Some people just don't deserve to have children.  All I can say is I hope people who act like that get as good as they give!  I'm a firm believer that what goes around comes around as I have seen it happen too many times not to believe.

3 hours ago, rusty pins said:

Of course it will!  The younger folks have no idea what a wooden spoon is!  :lol:

Seriously, your mom sounds like a sadist!  You had a history of bedwetting and so what if you drank a little too much or forgot to pee before going to bed.  It happens.  Diaper may have been one thing for the night for practical reasons, but the humiliation, spanking with the wooden spoon and all the rest when she picked you up was just horrible!  It turned what should have been a fun time for a 6 year old into a horrible experience that stayed with you all your life.  How anyone could treaty their precious child like that is beyond my comprehension.  Some people just don't deserve to have children.  All I can say is I hope people who act like that get as good as they give!  I'm a firm believer that what goes around comes around as I have seen it happen too many times not to believe.

rusty.. my mother passed away in june of this year. I didn't even shed a tear at her funeral or in the days since then. I spent the last three years attempted to tell my mother what she created with her wonder parenting but she avoid the conversation until her death. The two of us spend a lot of years not talking to each other (26). We Reconnected 4 years ago on my 50th birthday. She move up to Ohio from Florida but shortly after the moved she developed lukemia. The last year I listened to her say things like. "I know I did bad things in my life, but I didn't deserve this". The day in the hospital they put her in diapers because She had two accidents that day. I wanted so badly to say.. Karma.. its a real bitch isn't mom. But I took the high road and kept mouth shut. 

Yeah, looking back on things years later we all tend to mellow a bit and be more forgiving, depending on how bad things were as a kid.  Some things you just find near impossible to forgive.  At least she did admit to doing bad things, but unfortunately for you it was too little too late.  Who knows what makes people do the sick things they do when they are younger, but yes, you took the high road and are a better person for it.  You can never really forgive and forget, but sometimes it helps a little to have the abuser at least admit that they weren't the best parent if it seems that they have some slight regrets.  In her case, it may have been more self pity that she was dying rather than admitting she did wrong and didn't deserve her fate because of her past actions.  Well, won't speak ill of the dead, but that goes again to show I fully believe in what goes around comes around.  It just makes me sad what you described, being really happy and enjoying a party and having it not only ruined but causing you such a horrible time and memory that I'm sure it has stayed with you all your life.  Just so sad.:60_EmoticonsHDcom:

I’m not entirely sure but I would say somewhere in the 1 to 1 1/2 age range. I have no memories of wearing cloth diapers.

I have seen pictures of myself in them and I was definitely at least 1. Although, I have seen pictures of myself at that age range in disposables as well. 

On 9/6/2020 at 4:33 AM, dlnoir said:

Well in my thirties I always wore cloth diapers prior to that and cloth diapers are still my go-to diaper today.

I didn't know about disposable products until I was in my 30s too. I cant remember any such products around when I was younger. In my 30s a drinking mate told me about disposables when I told him why I didnt like to drink a lot. I though that was quite openminded at the time although he used to joke about it when we went out afterwards, like 'you better not have another one or you'll need swimming trunks tonight".

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, My first diaper I can remember would have to have been in a hospital of one or the other. I have a bad bone problem and broke both arms several times which always meant diapers for any time I was to be alone for any time at all. I'm in my fifties now and rediscovered diapers again due to injury. Just now I'm old enough not to care much who knows or what is said about it. I guess they make me feel safe. Having very brittle bones is something that dominates my life as I always worry. If diapers make me feel safe or calm it's a welcome feeling.

I'm also in my 30's, so I'm not sure what products were one the market at the time.  I was premature, and to quote my family "All you were ingesting was liquid for months", so cloth it was.  I don't know if this was cloth with plastic pants or cloth with a cloth diaper cover?  It's never come up in conversation, but I do know my old diapers are now work rags at my parents place!

NEVER! I was brought up in a "real" era where moms changed CLOTH diapers and families sat down to dinner every night at five o'clock. I still only wear cloth diapers but that's simply because I don't have enough privacy to store packs of disposables or throw away used diapers without getting noticed. Believe it or not, it is easier to store and wash cloth when I'm alone during the day at my house.

On 10/8/2020 at 9:21 AM, BabyJune said:

NEVER! I was brought up in a "real" era where moms changed CLOTH diapers and families sat down to dinner every night at five o'clock. I still only wear cloth diapers but that's simply because I don't have enough privacy to store packs of disposables or throw away used diapers without getting noticed. Believe it or not, it is easier to store and wash cloth when I'm alone during the day at my house.

Ditto. Tried the phonies and will not touch them again if I can help it. Compared to the real thing, they just suck eggs; big, green rotten ones

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

As a kid I didn't stop wetting my bed until just before I turned 12, and even then there were a few times that I still wet the bed at an older age.  My mom kept a rubber sheet on my bed and would most of the time put me in cloth diapers when she had them available.  She would use large safety pins to hold the diaper in place since velcro or other type of tabs and disposable diapers didn't exist.  After she put on my diapers, I would put on my PJ's and go to bed.  Some times I would wake up with a diaper only wet, other times with both the diaper and bed wet, and sometimes when she didn't put diapers on me, I would have a wet bed, but rarely did I wake up dry.  I still remember how pissed my dad was with my wetting the bed and how I was punished by having an earlier bed time then both my younger brother (2 years younger) and sister (5 years younger) because I was the only one that still wet the bed. 

56 minutes ago, ken2988 said:

As a kid I didn't stop wetting my bed until just before I turned 12, and even then there were a few times that I still wet the bed at an older age.  My mom kept a rubber sheet on my bed and would most of the time put me in cloth diapers when she had them available.  She would use large safety pins to hold the diaper in place since velcro or other type of tabs and disposable diapers didn't exist.  After she put on my diapers, I would put on my PJ's and go to bed.  Some times I would wake up with a diaper only wet, other times with both the diaper and bed wet, and sometimes when she didn't put diapers on me, I would have a wet bed, but rarely did I wake up dry.  I still remember how pissed my dad was with my wetting the bed and how I was punished by having an earlier bed time then both my younger brother (2 years younger) and sister (5 years younger) because I was the only one that still wet the bed. 

Awwwww, man!??? But that wasn't your fault buddy.??? Your Dad should have been more understanding of your situation.

• 2 weeks later...

I wore cloth until I was about potty training age and then my parents switched to disposable. Back then instead of having disposable diapers and cloth diapers they just marketed them as Pampers, something different than diapers. And I sort of wonder if that's part of the reason why they didn't really push training much until I was three. On some level, maybe being in Pampers was a different thing than being "still in diapers."

On 9/2/2020 at 8:05 PM, Glennie said:

rusty.. my mother passed away in june of this year. I didn't even shed a tear at her funeral or in the days since then. I spent the last three years attempted to tell my mother what she created with her wonder parenting but she avoid the conversation until her death. The two of us spend a lot of years not talking to each other (26). We Reconnected 4 years ago on my 50th birthday. She move up to Ohio from Florida but shortly after the moved she developed lukemia. The last year I listened to her say things like. "I know I did bad things in my life, but I didn't deserve this". The day in the hospital they put her in diapers because She had two accidents that day. I wanted so badly to say.. Karma.. its a real bitch isn't mom. But I took the high road and kept mouth shut. 

Man... I feel so bad for you. Your mother sounded terrible. It sounds like only she mattered and in effect, very selfish. But it sounds like you've overcome it, and though hard, are better for it. Sorry it had to be so rough.