LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Looking for an Editor? English teaching / help?

Hey all.  I did my best to sleep through English class when I was in school.  I wrote one story here that got a few positive posts and one that had zero replies.  Yep, zero.  Not crying, just commenting.  I suspect it has more to do with content than crappy English skills.

I also submitted both of the stories to Literotica, the second one that got no replies here got rejected because it needed editing.  I tend to write like I talk and usually do pretty good.  The one that got rejected is an older writing and definitely has some run on sentences but I'm having a hard time breaking them up since I can hear in my head how they would be spoken.

DD seems to be more of a small community / friendly place to me so I figured I'd ask here.  Is anybody willing to take a look at the original and the edited version and basically take a red marker to it as far as English is concerned?  Make comments on what's wrong and why and give ideas on how to fix it?

It's not a paying job unless you figure a heart felt 'thank you' is considered as payment.

Thanks for reading this and I hope everybody is having a delightful day.  ?

I struggle to edit my own work as well. I've used two online products that have helped. They won't fix a bad story but they fix my where/were and my their/there/they're issues pretty reliably.

The first is Grammarly and the other is ProWritingAid. I think you can install them both as free plugins to Chrome or use their web interface for the basic free version.

I give all my stories a run-through with one or the other. I'm embarrassed by the number of simple mistakes it flags. I don't do all the recommendations like putting a comma before "and" but that's just my style.

Even if you merely use them as a contextual spellchecker, they aren't bad for free.

13 hours ago, christi said:

Hey all.  I did my best to sleep through English class when I was in school.  I wrote one story here that got a few positive posts and one that had zero replies.  Yep, zero.  Not crying, just commenting.  I suspect it has more to do with content than crappy English skills.

I also submitted both of the stories to Literotica, the second one that got no replies here got rejected because it needed editing.  I tend to write like I talk and usually do pretty good.  The one that got rejected is an older writing and definitely has some run on sentences but I'm having a hard time breaking them up since I can hear in my head how they would be spoken.

DD seems to be more of a small community / friendly place to me so I figured I'd ask here.  Is anybody willing to take a look at the original and the edited version and basically take a red marker to it as far as English is concerned?  Make comments on what's wrong and why and give ideas on how to fix it?

It's not a paying job unless you figure a heart felt 'thank you' is considered as payment.

Thanks for reading this and I hope everybody is having a delightful day.  ?

@christi

Writing, in general, regardless of how much English you learn, can be a challenge.  When I was in college, I had to write many a paper, for a whole bunch of classes - From History, to Science, to Literature, to Professional Writing.  Many of these papers required a good bit of time in the Media Center, or in the local University of Vermont Library.  The problem was, when I was a Freshman, a Sophomore, a Junior and a Senior, our College Library was comparable to a high end HIGH School library, with some internet access to our state library and to articles that were purchased through other means.

Now, our Library is pretty even with the UVM Library, but we don't have the Medical Books, as that would be available in the Dana Medical Library at UVM - but we have a HELL of an improvement over when I was there from 1991-1995, and as an alum, I have been known to contact Champlain College, if I am sure that OUR local library, which I live RIGHT NEXT to, does NOT have what  I need - and I have been known to visit campus to use resources if I need to.

As far as writing non fiction, you may have trouble with the layout, and making sure that what you are trying to convey actually "connects" with the top paragraph.  The top paragraph is usually the "thesis" where you make your main point arguments, and EVERYTHING you write under it is supposed to support the thesis or connect to it somehow.  If you are writing professional/technical writing, you have to try to take something extremely technical, and boil it down to something that a user that is a newbie or a novice would be able to pick up, read, get an idea of what is going on, and then be able to take that document and perform the steps within.  You have to be able to try to convey what you want to convey in a simple way, because others may not be as technically savvy or minded as the author of the documents you write.

When you write fiction, your setup is a different thing entirely - BUT, you should always write so that each paragraph is dealing with one thought.  having small three sentence paragraphs that contain that thought or idea is what I was taught to do, but this will depend on how and what you write.  When you have a sentence, you want to make sure that it is NOT a continuous run-on, and you want to make sure that you are not writing stuff in one long block paragraph with no spaces.

This will cause people's eyes to go crazy, and they will be confused.  You should be using commas, periods, dashes, and other punctuation to initiate pauses, stops, and other indicated situations - When you write, get all your ideas out in DRAFT format first, and then make edits and changes as needed.  In this day and age, the word processor is your FRIEND :)

15 hours ago, christi said:

DD is a great community, and I believe we have a TON of talent that can pen an exciting story, that will keep you coming back for more.  I don't claim to be an English major, but I could take a look at it and see what you have if no one else does.  There are probably people better at story edits than I, but I could give it a shot if no one else does.  The idea of writing a story should be to keep it flowing, and anything that does not make it flow, may have to be edited or deleted.

One thing my professors and High School English Teachers would tell me is: when you write a sentence, without ANY punctuation at all, or punctuation that is in the wrong place, it can be hard to get the meaning or intent of what you are saying.  One teacher actually read a story that did not have any commas, periods, question marks, quotes, etc, and it was HILARIOUS, because a comma or a period or a dash tell the reader to pause or slow down:  He read that thing, and he sounded like an AUCTIONEER reading at 50-60 MPH, and without the commas or periods, he didn't breathe either, and was out of breath.  Commas and periods that are MISPLACED can cause the reader to pause where one is not needed or required.  Using punctuation indicates when to breathe too, so if you are reading something without a period or other appropriate marks, it can be choppy.

I hope what I posted to you is a help, as you create stories here or other places ;)

Good Luck!

Brian