LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

planned obsolescence

I've been hit by planned obsolescence! Two monitors I bought a few years ago are stating to flicker and go out, started within a day of each other. Gonna suck when they go out completely as its my office cable (news) and security camera feed.

• Sad 1
26 minutes ago, DailyDi said:

I've been hit by planned obsolescence! Two monitors I bought a few years ago are stating to flicker and go out, started within a day of each other. Gonna suck when they go out completely as its my office cable (news) and security camera feed.

@DailyDi

Isn't it JUST like that?  Every time you think you have everything covered, you have something "On its last legs" or Flickering:  Hopefully, these monitors are OLD CRT's, but even then, they would have to be replaced at some point - It always seems to happen when you LEAST expect it!

Hopefully, you will be able to replace these with newer monitors - I think fixing the flatscreen ones can also be a challenge :(

Good Luck!

Brian

Yeah, fixing LED screens cost more than just replacing them. Hopefully they will hold on until I have the money to do so.

Thankfully my main monitor is not affected, and - knock on wood - should be fine for a few more years.

IMG_0077.jpg

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, ~Brian~ said:

@DailyDi

How do you mount those?  Above you, directly on the wall, or in front of you mounted to an arm?

Looks like something I'd love to do someday :)

Brian

They are mounted on a pole clamped to the desk. I originally did it so I could see my e-mail and alerts on the small screens while gaming on the big screen, but have since changed to their current uses.

13 minutes ago, DailyDi said:

They are mounted on a pole clamped to the desk. I originally did it so I could see my e-mail and alerts on the small screens while gaming on the big screen, but have since changed to their current uses.

@DailyDi

Sounds AWESOME - my main monitor is 24" and my linux Machine monitor is a 17" - Eventually, wanna put a shelf back up that I took down YEARS ago when I moved, and when I moved back in 2007, I never had it put back up - Since Dad made it, he put it up in 2000, but we had to take it down in 2006, and Dad was 60, now hes 73, so have to be careful what I expose him to:  Im sure he could help me though - Nice Setup, and I'm Now a celebrity hehehe :)

Then, I want to see about putting monitors on the wall :)

Take Care,

Brian

The fact that I still use a can opener, land line phone, read my news from the actual newspaper, have a VCR, no Facebook and my cell phone is just for texting and talking, I have long ago planned for my own self obsolescence!  I do use disposable diapers instead of cloth, but I have been doing that for 40 years.

1 hour ago, DailyDi said:

Yeah, fixing LED screens cost more than just replacing them. Hopefully they will hold on until I have the money to do so.

Thankfully my main monitor is not affected, and - knock on wood - should be fine for a few more years.

IMG_0077.jpg

Pretty cool setup

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, DailyDi said:

If you're handy with a soldering iron, and if the monitors stay up but the backlight blinks out, it may be the capacitors on the high-voltage power supply (HV-PS) that feeds the CCFL lights (assuming it uses CCFL - Cold Cathode Fluorescent Light).

All large round can capacitors can be suspect and if they're swollen on the top of the cap they are even moreso.  There are usually only about a half dozen of these of various values.  Buy replacement caps (make sure to get value and voltage and ensure the replacements aren't too big/tall for the board).  The farad rating (mf or "mu"-f is microfarad.  pf is picofarad, etc).  Voltage can be replaced with same or higher voltage devices as that is the maximum voltage tolerance for the cap.

You also need to know whether the cap is radial (legs on same side of can) or axial (legs on opposite sides).

Replace all capacitors and it should stabilize a failing HV-PS with bad caps.

I have a Scepter monitor in use by my wife's computer that I got from my employer in 2008 that was circa-2000 build, the monitor still had an image but the backlight was dead.  Replaced about $5-6 worth of capacitors and to this day the monitor is still working and doesn't show signs of failure again, yet.

29 minutes ago, Apache Raccoon said:

Pretty cool setup

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, DL-Boy said:

If you're handy with a soldering iron, and if the monitors stay up but the backlight blinks out, it may be the capacitors on the high-voltage power supply (HV-PS) that feeds the CCFL lights (assuming it uses CCFL - Cold Cathode Fluorescent Light).

All large round can capacitors can be suspect and if they're swollen on the top of the cap they are even moreso.  There are usually only about a half dozen of these of various values.  Buy replacement caps (make sure to get value and voltage and ensure the replacements aren't too big/tall for the board).  The farad rating (mf or "mu"-f is microfarad.  pf is picofarad, etc).  Voltage can be replaced with same or higher voltage devices as that is the maximum voltage tolerance for the cap.

You also need to know whether the cap is radial (legs on same side of can) or axial (legs on opposite sides).

Replace all capacitors and it should stabilize a failing HV-PS with bad caps.

I have a Scepter monitor in use by my wife's computer that I got from my employer in 2008 that was circa-2000 build, the monitor still had an image but the backlight was dead.  Replaced about $5-6 worth of capacitors and to this day the monitor is still working and doesn't show signs of failure again, yet.

I don't even have a soldering iron. lol. Generally I don't mess with electricity and related components.

This has become our legacy from the masses insisting on buying the cheapest thing out there.   The "Vizio" brand is case in point!

I've been fortunate.  I've got a pair of ASUS monitors that have been solid.  At my previous job, we used Dell - and only ever had one monitor actually fail.  Any other time, they were replaced only because there was something better (bigger, more inputs, etc) available.  My "big screen" TV is a Panasonic Plasma that I bought ... 2006 I think.  All the misbelievers said "oh, plasma will burn in".  "Plasma will go dark over time."   Still going strong - picture looks as good today as I ever remember it.  I only wish I had bought the bigger model back then!  Only downside is that it does put out some heat!  OK in winter time... not so great in summer time.

23 hours ago, DailyDi said:

Yeah, fixing LED screens cost more than just replacing them. Hopefully they will hold on until I have the money to do so

Sometimes Goodwill has inexpensive monitors you can buy, and if you know any electricians they might be able to help fix it.  Most of the time it's just a bad component or wire that needs replaced.

• 1 month later...