LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Northshore vs AbriForm

dondd

I have an opportunity to try the AbriForm L4 plastic backed diapers.  Has anyone had occasion to try these who also has experience with Northshore diapers?  I would be interested in a comparative assessment.  

I continue to be very happy with both the Northshore company and product but have an opportunity to pick up as much as a case of the AbriForms.  

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

12 hours ago, dondd said:

I have an opportunity to try the AbriForm L4 plastic backed diapers.  Has anyone had occasion to try these who also has experience with Northshore diapers?  I would be interested in a comparative assessment.  

I continue to be very happy with both the Northshore company and product but have an opportunity to pick up as much as a case of the AbriForms.  

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

MegaMax are hands-down better than the Abena L4's because they have about 1.5x the ISO capacity rating and real-world capacity is considerable more as well.  The MegaMax has a stiff plastic landing zone for the tapes to attach to so the front plastic isn't torn if the tapes have to be repositioned.

That's the PROs for the MegaMax, the CON however is price.  Where I can get L4's for about 1.22 each when buying on subscription through Amazon, I believe MegaMax are double that price per unit (24.99 per bag of 10 or 2.50 each).

I too like the Megamax for the absorbency, security and good fit. That being said I would recommend trying the abenas. They have double layer tapes which make positioning and adjusting pretty easy. They also have excellent wicking qualities. They are one of the few diapers that I am able to wet from front to back before having to change. You will most likely get about 6-8 hours out of one with normal wettings.

For me Abena have superior fit and comfort with lower cost / ounce absorbed and Megamax have greater total absorbency.  Not needing Megamax’s absorbency Abena gets my vote.

Thanks, everyone, for your input.  Now I have lots to think about. 

I am pretty familiar with the NorthShore product.  I wear the AirPremiums full time.  On those days when I expect to need the extra protection I will use one of the Supremes.  Absolutely soaked one of those last night.

Northshore sent me a couple of MegaMax samples no too long ago.  I was very impressed with all but the price.  Northshore has proven to be a great supplier for me as I am in the Chicago area as well.  Rarely have they taken longer than overnight to deliver to my house.  On the few occasions that I have had questions or needed to pick up at their factory they have been helpful and supportive. Check before trying to arrange a pick up - last I heard COVID had led to the suspension of this service.

Right now I do not see myself switching brands on a permanent basis.  Might get a bag of the Abenas just to try them out.

• 3 weeks later...

I started out with Abena M3 as one of my first “premium” diaper in 2012. I liked them, but haven’t used them recently. I believe that M4 is still plastic  backed, which is good as far as personal preference. I liked the Mega Max briefs and they did seem to hold more, but I think with the length of time between, it may be comparing apples to oranges. 

I used to get L4's by the case (alternating with Dry247) but now I've pretty much switched to NSC Supreme Lites for a couple of reasons.    First, I used to use the Attends Extra Absorbency (cloth backed) for the workday wear and the L4's at home and at night.    The SupLites however have enough absorbency at a reasoanble thickness to work well all around.   I still have some others from time to time, but mostly I grab from the SupLite bag.

I was NEVER fond of the Abena "racing stripe."     I liked the solid color diapers and mostly wear the blue polkadotted ones now.  

I haven't tried the Northshore diapers at all but I use the Abena L4's a lot.  I still really like them and will continue to purchase them as long as they remain plastic backed.

7 hours ago, willnotwill said:

I was NEVER fond of the Abena "racing stripe."     I liked the solid color diapers and mostly wear the blue polkadotted ones now.  

You mean like this one on my t-shirt?

20200223_150112.thumb.jpg.2c997d5515ef3dc03d92d5c934ad8d89.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I did it.  Normally, I would only order a package but mu intuition told me that a case was in order.  Found a good price at LLMedico and placed an order.  

The L4s arrived just over two weeks ago.  I had some NorthShore Supremes to use up first.  Was a good basis of comparison for me.  The wife was a little taken aback by the blue color, but what is one to do?  

I have worn the Abenas on a few nights and most of the day today.  I am very favorably impressed!  All in all, I could wear these all the time and be happy with them, much as I would the NorthShores.  However, that is a bit heavier and less discrete than I would be comfortable with on a regular basis so I will reserve them for nights and times when I expect to be away from restrooms and/or expect to be wetting a lot.

Thanks again to all of you who chimed in with your comparisons!

• 4 weeks later...

I like both the Abena Abriform and the North Shore Supreme! Both are soft and comfy and Absorbent. North Shore costs a bit more. Abriform was my regular diaper, but When I found North Shore, I went for the Megamax but I think it's too much for what I need (I Never use it to it's capacity) so I tried the Supremes and I fell in love! I wear the white ones and blue polka dot also. But I have Abriform also and switch out when I'm in the mood.  If you're in the market for a good .. and I mean good! .. Pull-up you can't beat the Abena Abriflex. Level 3 is so thick and feels and absorbs like a regular diaper! I use those as my diaper at work but I don't pee heavily during the day for some reason.

Through my first pack of the Abriforms now.  They have become my night diaper, at least for now.  I find them very comfortable and absorbent and I trust them to hold whatever I give them through the night.  

Had my first leak with them two days ago.  My fault and not the diaper's.  Continued wearing them for several hours after waking and simply overwhelmed the capacity.  Got up from my recliner and found the leather seat wet.  Easy clean up and I am quite surprised the wife did not comment.

As much as I like these I may buy a case of the Northshore Supreme in white and try them next.  Might come down to what costs the most when it is time to order.  

@Mindylou- thanks for the feedback and recommendation.  I am not much of a pull ups fan.  I like a tape-on diaper if for no other reason than I can get a more snug feeling and for ease of changing without fully undressing.  

For now I will continue with the Northshore Air Premium for daytime and Abriform L4 at night.

I've tried both and I was highly unimpressed with the Abenas. The Northshore Megamax is every bit the equal of a "premium" abdl diaper... thicker plastic than the Abenas, better smell containment, the material doesn't clump, the fit and capacity are amazing, and you can actually unfasten and adjust the tapes on the landing zone. They are a little spendy compared to the Abenas but not as much as some of the abdl brands, and well worth the price imo.

• Like 2

I like variety and like both Abena M4's an all the NS plastic diapers. The NS Lite colors are very pleasing and these diapers are excellent for discreet day time wear and wetting. The NS  Supreme are a little stiff but I don't mind that at all, and the MegaMax are the most absorbent.  I am currently in my very wet and now messy MegaMax small (waste is about 34" and the small fits me perfectly) in the new pink color.  The Abena M4's are soft and I actually like the design on them.  In my real life wetting experiences the Abena M4's seem to be between NS Lites and the Supreme and MegaMax.

9 hours ago, lily~nyan said:

thicker plastic than the Abenas, better smell containment, the material doesn't clump, and you can actually unfasten and adjust the tapes on the landing zone. 

This is exactly the areas that Abenas need to improve upon .. this is why I like Supremes just a bit better. Both are equally comfy in fit and protection diapers to me. ? 

4 hours ago, Moochie said:

I like variety and like both Abena M4's an all the NS plastic diapers. The NS Lite colors are very pleasing and these diapers are excellent for discreet day time wear and wetting. The NS  Supreme are a little stiff but I don't mind that at all, and the MegaMax are the most absorbent.  I am currently in my very wet and now messy MegaMax small (waste is about 34" and the small fits me perfectly) in the new pink color.  The Abena M4's are soft and I actually like the design on them.  In my real life wetting experiences the Abena M4's seem to be between NS Lites and the Supreme and MegaMax.

I have thought about trying the Lite version of Supremes! Think I will. My daytime wetting habit is a lot less than at night. If I can get away with it with Daddy who only lets me wear pull-ups to work not diapers (if I've been extra good then sometimes on Friday with jeans over ?)

• 3 weeks later...

Have now gotten through the case of L4s.  I found them to be comfortable and properly absorbent.  Only one leak in the course of this case of diapers (explained previously in this thread) and that was solely my fault.

Two observations on the Abenas -  when wet for an extended time the stuffing will pull apart.  In my experience his leads to clumping and possibly leaks. I also seemed to have a case of diapers with bad tapes.  Sure they worked and not once in this case did they come apart.  But the white and blue tabs were not aligned properly.  As a result some of the white tape's adhesive was exposed between the diaper and beginning of the blue tape.  It then became impossible to untape for any reason as pulling the white tape from the blue would tear the diaper.  Certainly this was just a problem in this production run and not an ongoing issue or we would have heard about it sooner.

Now on to the Northshore Supremes.  

New case arrived this week along with a fresh supply of my usual, everyday Northshore AirPremiums.  At first glance my thoughts ran to "why so thin?"  They are thicker than the Premiums but less so than the Abenas.  The proof is in the performance, though.  On to wearing and using them.

Yesterday was a lazy day here at our house.  I just felt like wearing a heavier diaper so, following my morning shower, I taped on a Supreme.  Something was different.  Well, a couple of somethings. 

First, I must confess an error in my basis of comparison for the Abenas and the Northshores.  Throughout my posts I have oft compared the two as similar offerings.  As I opened the new package of Northshore Supremes and taped one on it occurred to me that all of the Supremes I had used in the past were the Air type (cloth-like).  This time I had the plastic backed Supremes.  Much more gooder!  

Second - I am a firm believer that one's satisfaction in anything is closely tied to how well, or not, it fits one's needs or form.  As I taped on this first Supreme I realized how well this matched my build.  The fit is very comfortable.  

I wore that diaper practically all day changing only after several beers input had resulted in greatly increased output and a quite full diaper.  Thin became irrelevant as performance was proven.

The day was finished with an AirPremium which was changed out for bedtime with another Supreme.  It is 10:00 am and that Supreme is about to be changed.   It is still very comfortable and no leaks in sight despite some heavy use overnight.  And no tape problems.

Not willing to commit to a verdict on the Supremes quite yet. We will use the whole case first.  But first impressions are quite favorable!

• 2 weeks later...

First of three bags in this case of Northshore Supremes and I continue to be quite impressed.  These seem to be the diaper that fit me, so to speak.  I spoke before about finding a product that fits you.  It may not work for the next person, but it fits you (either literally or figuratively) and therefore performs well within the envelope defined by your values.  That describes the Supremes for me.   They fit.  They work.  They make me comfortable.  They keep me calm.  

Not to take anything away from the Abenas tried and described by me earlier.  I was pretty well impressed with them and could see using them again.  

The Northshores are just a natural fit for me and perform so well that I do not see myself looking further for a better diaper.  

Now if only I could use full time.  Despite their superior performance I would not consider using these, or any other similar diaper full time.  They are just too thick and indiscrete, especially when wet.  I predict these will be my go-to nighttime and only-at-home diaper for the foreseeable future.  Thankfully I have my Air Premiums for daytime/public wear.  

Two packs to go... 

• 2 weeks later...

I know, I know.  Just talking to myself...

Continue to be quite pleased with the NS Supremes.  I do not see myself moving to another choice at the end of this case.

One thing that I am getting out of all this from both the L4 and Supremes is that I still really like plastic backed diapers. So much so that I have added some Northshore Supreme Lites to my inventory.  My wife confirms that, if you don't know I am in plastic diapers, you will not notice.  And she doesn't mind hearing the crinkle occasionally.  Keeping my Air Premiums for times when extra discretion is in order. 

Life is good.