LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

A Question for Baby June

Since she actually works with PUL. As I have noted elsewhere based on PUL being "breathable", The material must be waterproof but gas-permeable. From my understanding,  the COVID19 virus is not airborn but is aerosolable, meaning that it can be carried by tiny droplets of, whatever ejects when you talk or breathe. Could PUL be used to make the STANDARD COVID19 mask that is now in common use?

23 minutes ago, Little Rubber Christine said:

Since she actually works with PUL. As I have noted elsewhere based on PUL being "breathable", The material must be waterproof but gas-permeable. From my understanding,  the COVID19 virus is not airborn but is aerosolable, meaning that it can be carried by tiny droplets of, whatever ejects when you talk or breathe. Could PUL be used to make the STANDARD COVID19 mask that is now in common use?

It could be, but since it is a vinyl product, it wouldn't be as comfortable as pure cloth and might hold in heat. The idea behind masks to prevent the spread of Covid-19 is to keep the tiny droplets of the virus out of the air. Three layers (recommended) of standard cloth keeps the tiny particles out of the air. We're talking about microscopic particles here. PUL would do the trick with one layer, but it would be harder to breathe through than cloth and hold in more heat. When I made masks for Mom and me, I just used scrap fabric. (Fortunately, she didn't ask where I got it or why I had some nice hot pink for her mask?). I hope this clears things up. Stay safe!

I thought it was polyurethane and not vinyl, the two are very different. If it is breathable then it is gas permeable but not liquid dropliet permeable. Is not one of the brags about PUL panties  is that they do not retain heat? Also, all the multi-layer cloth mmasks retain heat. This would only be one layer of a laminate if I understand correctly. I think it would be a toss-up as to breathing difficulty between one layer of PUL and 3 or standard cloth. At the worst it would be a trade-off, more safety vs harder to breathe. That may make the difference between getting off scot free or ending up on a ventillator. The value of that trade-off may depend on your age or medical condition. Besides which, most persons do not wear the mask most of the time, such as outdoors. Jist how breathable is the material

The next quiestion would be does it pass medical muster in terms of being safe to use in a respiratory setting. Polyrurethan is not vinyl, which is quite bio-friendly

• 2 weeks later...

The two polymers aren't that different. The key difference is you are laminating polyester fabric with a thin film (1 mil) of polyurethane rather than making a thick layer of plastic, hence the abbreviation PUL (polyurethane laminate).

In terms of comparing the two polymers on a chemistry level, polyvinyl chloride is a simple carbon change with chlorine and hydrogen atoms along its backbone. Since these atoms are small, the carbon chains can be closer together and pack in more tightly. Polyurethane on the other hand has bulkier groups, such as benzene rings that make the chains pack further apart making the material more permeable. It is more complicated than that because the materials vary significantly depending on synthesis method, but you get the idea.