LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

cloth diaper idea

I have sewed some cloth diapers and PUL covers, nothing fancy, and no where near as nice as a real seamstress.  

I had this idea for thin all in one.  I'm thinking cute outer material, a layer of PUL, then a couple layers cotton with maybe just a thin soaker pad.  The idea is to sew in velcro tabs that would allow either cotton inserts or size 6 diapers to be attached.  Kind of like a pocket diaper, but I find that with pockets unless I stuff them super full the inserts won't say put.  

• Thanks 1

Most good places like LL Medico sell flannel  or terry lined baby pants and training pants and pocket diapers, which are much the same. AND, because they are equipped and can access materials and supplies wholesale, they can do so at much lower cost. Also; NO material is "cuter" than rubber (generic term for traditional waterproof material), having become identified with babies and littles for over a century in the form of panties and sheets (which is why, when Babykins stopped selling the 14 gauge light ivory classic rubber sheets, it left a massive void in the ABDL community; I saw a rubber sheet on a bed as late as early 1968). If you were raised in cloth diapers, PUL is about as inspiring as stale toast and weak tea with "diaper cover" being an apt name for such things.(if you were 6 years old, which would scare you more; if Mommy said "I'm going to put a diaper and diaper cover on you" or "I'm going to put a diaper and rubber panties on you"?). Like disposable diapers, it has an institutional or clinical sound and  esthetic; bare bones to the point of chintzy cheapness with zero personality. I do not have any of those, AIO's have had a bad reputation going back to the days of DPF

Thanks for the reply, but I'm sure you can appreciate that different time periods have different styles and aesthetics.  When I decided to try making my first cloth diapers I started researching online and discovered PUL.  I had purchased plastic pants in the past and because I didn't care for correctly they disentegrated quickly.  I went to a local fabric store and bought a few yards of PUL.  It's smell, texture, and appearance seemed familiar to me even then.  When I made a diaper cover it seemed even more familiar.  When I used and washed that cover it felt even more familiar.  I was born in 1979,  I don't when PUL first started being used but I would swear that I was around this stuff when I was little, either in handmade training pants, bibs, mattress protectors or something.  It feels so familiar to me.  Rubber pants have no familiarity to me.  

• Thanks 1

The Gary 7 mil ones, and the same with the old 6 mil Comco (no longer made) Do not disintegrate for a good long time. I still have some of my old Comco's from 10+ years ago and while the elastics are long dead, the material is in quite good condition. And that is after a few years,  for some of them, 8 years, of frequent close contact with my body. Families started before 1956 or so would have upwards of 5 children and things had to last and baby panties were made of thicker material and you could count on them lasting for 3 of the children (when my parents were born, families of 8 children were common) PUL is too new to appeal to 99% of those raised in cloth diapers. I first saw the early form of PUL, Gore-Tex, used for rainwear by outdoorsy types in about 1986, and while textile baby panties have been around since 1939, for some 60 years they really went nowhere. I've not seen PUL (though I have seen a kind of material where the polyurethen was integrated into the fabric in the mid 1980's) used for waterproof panties until the last 10, maybe 12, years so the esthetic would not be authentic for most persons here who were in cloth diapers as children. It might appeal to DL's but most of them wear pampers anyway. I do not trust any woven material to do the job fully. If they are "breathable" then they are gas-permeable, which means that they let vaporized items of urine or feces escape, then when these substences get away from bodyheat, they condense. I have seen stories here of apparent "leaks" leaving the outside of the panties damp or wet. Older materials would lose the waterproof component in pieces, so textile waterproof panties have a spotty history. And the reason you gave was not esthetic, but practical. I would think that Sissy would include an authentic esthetic and one of the big  reasons that adult textile panties were advocated was that "rubber pants" were humiliating or embarrassing and these went out of their way in many cases to say they were not made with plastic or rubber. Also, for Sissy, the exception would be rhumba or other frilly panties and that is only a frilly shell over a plastic liner and the big draw with them is that they are baby girlish

If you are doing it for yourself, then do as you wish but if it is for the market then you are dealing with a wide timeframe; about 1939 to 1969, when a big dip appeared in the number raised in cloth, and at a smaller level, to about 2000, the reputation of AIO's over the last 50 years (starting with Salk Pro-Pant about 55 years ago that I know of) and the other companies that are selling the same or very similar items professionally or en masse and can produce them for about hal what it costs you

LOL, I have no delusions of making diapers for the market, my sewing skills are not that good.  I do want to try rubber pants.  I don't know where my memories of this material come from, I think it was probably white vinyl maybe.  

• Thanks 1

Might be Chix or Dundee. a Thin, grainy material. Empire were smooth milky white, some of which I got for my dollies in '85 or BabyMate. There were two kinds thin and grainy in semitransparent colors and a thick, milky white smooth material sold at Adams Pharmacy and Brooks (the lesser division of Adams) from the 60's to the late 80's, now Walgreens

• 7 months later...

There is no such thing as a "thin, cute diaper" 85% of the cute is the Bulge

large.5a12600551b83_11pink.jpg.9cdc0e559

I cannot cross or close my legs above the knee and my diapers usually go 14 hours betwwen changes

That is why, enve though the babydoll proper is long enough to cover the panties, about halfway to the knee, traditional babydoll panties are very full to imitate proper rubber panties. Also, the traditional babydoll, even those worn by adutls, was very high-waisted for easy changes even though no diapers werer worn

large.59e92309b12e0_todaybbdoll3.jpg.9dd

What is cuter than a babydoll and still not trollopy? Which is NOT cute

The gearment more in line with Sissy is one that lets the diaper show to some extent for the humiliation by embarrassment at having one's underthings showing value, which  for people my age, is sexualizing and not cute, since diapers and rubber panties are UNDERwear. I have dubbed such garments "sissydolls".  Look at "DampSissy"fb530efc727a0367e3bb26ac93cdd841.jpg

No respectable family would dress little girls in this sort of thing before the sexualization of children in the late 1960S and '70s, whe  I first saw this kind of thing in baby departments,  as part of the "anything goes" "sexual revolution"

Even my very short skirts cover the panties completely

pink%20and%20blue.jpg

The idea benind the short skirts, dresses and babydolls was to teach the little girl to pay attention to her skirts and posture to keep her panties from showing. This was part of "chastity training" so that she would not embarrass her family. However, under that short skirt was a thick diaper and rubber panties. That did two things. First that would be harder to hide than"big girl" panties so she had to be more careful of her pusture. Second, these, meamt she was still a baby. amd she had tp wet the diaper so she would have added incentive. She was told,  and it was true, that if someone saw her panties and wanted to feel them, she would be allowed to do so, even getting way under her little skirt or babydoll. That was so that any laxity on her part would have consequences and therefore, meaning. How would you like to be seen in a wet diaper? I read here a true story from one of our members who is a "2 year old Sissy baby girl" who was watching cartoons on TV in her short lbaby dress and was wet. Mommy and one of her frends, who was aware of the Sissy were in another room, I think the kitchen. Well Baby went into that room and Mommy asked if Baby needed to be checked. Her friend immediately did so, lifting Baby's dress and putting her hand inside the diaper, and Baby was quite put out and embarrassed FOR REAL (which a real 2 year old would not be nor would she know what it means to be a girl: That iis what I mean about authenticity). So being in a short dress or babydoll and diapers/rubber panties has real meaning, especially to a girl who is between 4 and 7

• Sad 1

Although I don't consider my (cloth) diapers to be thin, I have a system that is streamlined and not bulky. My diaper is undetectable under my everyday clothes (that I have to wear when around people, that is). My diapers are diaper flannel cloth with a sewn-in terry cloth center. On top of that I use a Zorb3 soaker which is very thin but super absorbent. I can go up to five hours if the diaper is only wet, however I feel that changing a diaper is half the fun of wearing one.

• Thanks 1