LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Type of diapers, and a change?

AbabeBill

I often wonder about the perceived differences, as a youngster, when it comes to wearing cloth diapers, plastic pants, as apposed to disposables. Especially for those of us, who had to wear diapers long past normal potty training age. 
Is there anyone who can remember as a child, wearing cloth diapers, but then a change being made, and you then had to wear disposables?

Or, you wore disposables, and we’re then changed to cloth diapers and plastic pants? 
Maybe you wore both, disposable during the day, cloth at night? 
Did it confuse you in anyway? Did you like, or dislike something? 
How did you feel about the change? 
What do you remember?

I was raised in cloth diapers and plastic pants and wore them at night until almost 6 for bedwetting.  I started again with diapers now and then when I was about 11 or 12 years old, and Pampers were what I could get once in a while.  They didn't fit but I remember those first Pampers I had in my underpants and wet them.  Great feeling so when I couldn't get baby disposable diapers, which was bout 99% of the time, I made my own home made disposable diapers.  We had none of the old cloth diapers I wore as a bedwetter and we didn't have a washing machine.  Once a week my mom took the clothes to the local laundry mat to wash.  No way I could use any cloth towels or even underpants to wet in.  At age 5 I knew when I was wet in the morning, some times my cloth diapers and plastic pants were really sagging but I don't remember the feeling so much.  I very seldom wear a cloth diaper these days but the feeling is very different than a disposable.  I prefer disposables for convenience, the fact I can just throw them away, no laundry and the fact I can use different brands and thicknesses depending on the time I plan to be diapered.  Betterdry and Confidry 24/7 that are really thick and can last 8 hours are great and no having to wash and dry them.  Even the store brands are discreet for about 3 hours of constant wetting.  Apples and Oranges.  Both fruit, both tasty but different.  I never wore disposables as a kid.  I was out of diapers at night before Pampers became popular.

I was in cloth the entire time.  Unfortunately, I don't remember much about that experience.  I have one photo of me sitting such my plastic pants can be seen.  I think I was 3.  AFAIK, I did not switch to disposables.  I think my mom could not wait for me to get out of them, which maybe the reason I think I still need them.   I did wet my pants in kindergarten, but that was the only time I wet my pants.  So, maybe I was taken out of diapers too soon.  We probably had a diaper service. 

6 hours ago, 2sail2 said:

I think my mom could not wait for me to get out of them, which maybe the reason I think I still need them.  

My mom was the same, she hurried me out of diapers I think. She wouldn’t stand having a kid in diapers, one second more then what she dreamed necessary. 

I was in both cloth and disposables from birth until I was four and a half years old. Mom would use cloth at home and disposables when we were out. After that I was in diapers every night until I was ten...ish. After I outgrew Pampers it was cloth all the time. I don't remember having a preference to either one aside from loving the smell of Pampers. The scent was much stronger back in the day than they are now. 

9 hours ago, Pampertimmy said:

I was in both cloth and disposables from birth until I was four and a half years old. Mom would use cloth at home and disposables when we were out. After that I was in diapers every night until I was ten...ish. After I outgrew Pampers it was cloth all the time. I don't remember having a preference to either one aside from loving the smell of Pampers. The scent was much stronger back in the day than they are now. 

I can remember the scent of the old Pampers, just smelling an open box was intoxicating. Even just a few in a diaper bag. 
Timmy, do you know if you would have just Pampers on during the day, or the Pampers with plastic pants too? 
Do you know what you wore for, daytime training during the day, once you past 4 1/2? For example, training pants? And, what type, plastic cloth lined, just cloth, or something other? 

On 1/11/2020 at 11:34 AM, AbabeBill said:

My mom was the same, she hurried me out of diapers I think. She wouldn’t stand having a kid in diapers, one second more then what she dreamed necessary. 

if you have followed the trends on potty training they started making larger baby diapers do to parents being to busy to focus on potty training, and now they are making a smaller pull up style diapers for babies and toddlers for what they call the early trainers.  my personal thoughts or know your youngster you will know if they are ready, just because you are they may not be.

with adult Diapers It has become more acceptable for folks to need them as the baby boomers have gotten up there in age.

There was only Cloth and Plastic Pants back in the 60's and I also couldn't potty train at night.
I was caught several times by my siblings and by my parents enjoying my Diaper too much so, I was taken out of them but I also had a bed wetting problem that I continued having into my late 20's.
And when Pampers came out I would deliberately go out of my way just to get a wif of the smell at a Store and I would do just about anything to get some just to put it in my underwear and wet it to a Full capacity before I would throw it away.
Ahhh... the Memories gone but never forgotten!![emoji5]

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, AbabeBill said:

I can remember the scent of the old Pampers, just smelling an open box was intoxicating. Even just a few in a diaper bag. 
Timmy, do you know if you would have just Pampers on during the day, or the Pampers with plastic pants too? 
Do you know what you wore for, daytime training during the day, once you past 4 1/2? For example, training pants? And, what type, plastic cloth lined, just cloth, or something other? 

When I was in Pampers it was just the diaper without plastic pants. When I was in cloth diapers it was with plastic pants. When I was potty training I was back and forth between cloth training pants and cloth diapers with plastic pants. My mom told me I didn't care if I stayed in diapers all the time. Still holds true today.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Pampertimmy said:

When I was in Pampers it was just the diaper without plastic pants. When I was in cloth diapers it was with plastic pants. When I was potty training I was back and forth between cloth training pants and cloth diapers with plastic pants. My mom told me I didn't care if I stayed in diapers all the time. Still holds true today.

I think with the Pampers having plastic backing, very few used plastic pants. But, I know some still did, due to possibly of leaks, especially at night. 
The cloth training pants are what I wore also, pretty sure no plastic pants? I know my cousins had the ones, that were plastic, lined with thick terry cloth. I was jealous! 

5 minutes ago, AbabeBill said:

I think with the Pampers having plastic backing, very few used plastic pants

Not true before the 1980's. Few people did NOT use them. Prior to 1980, everyone that I saw used them

Me and my sisters were in cloth diapers.   By the time my brother came along (he was born in 1966), he was in Pampers.    These were the old "rectangular fan fold" style ones and despite having a waterproof backing, my mother still put plastic pants over them because they tended to leak.   They also had a thin liner that you were supposed to be able to pull out and flush (along with the poop).    I always wondered why they stopped that (and it never caught on in adult products).   You were able to by a similar insert you could place in a diaper to accomplish the same thing.

After he was potty trained came the "Baby-shaped Kimbies" and later the hourglass shaped diapers we know today.     Adult diapers followed the same trend, slower.   My first adult diapers (and the ones I kept using for as long as I could find them) were like the earlier pampers.    Attends came out around 1981 or so with an adult hourglass shape.   For a while you could even buy Curity adult diapers (fanfold).   My other favorite was Ambeze.

31 minutes ago, willnotwill said:

Me and my sisters were in cloth diapers.   By the time my brother came along (he was born in 1966), he was in Pampers.    These were the old "rectangular fan fold" style ones and despite having a waterproof backing, my mother still put plastic pants over them because they tended to leak.   They also had a thin liner that you were supposed to be able to pull out and flush (along with the poop).    I always wondered why they stopped that (and it never caught on in adult products).   You were able to by a similar insert you could place in a diaper to accomplish the same thing.

After he was potty trained came the "Baby-shaped Kimbies" and later the hourglass shaped diapers we know today.     Adult diapers followed the same trend, slower.   My first adult diapers (and the ones I kept using for as long as I could find them) were like the earlier pampers.    Attends came out around 1981 or so with an adult hourglass shape.   For a while you could even buy Curity adult diapers (fanfold).   My other favorite was Ambeze.

Your mom got on board with Pampers early, (relatively). I remember the disposable “liner” in the old Pampers, and others. The main problem with them was, they tended to clog toilets. Also, people like my aunt, didn’t want to deal with tearing a poopy liner out of a diaper, and then have to put it in the toilet. That was a big reason people wanted to get away from cloth. Well, one of the reasons anyway. 
They use to, and still do sell those liners, to go in cloth diapers. Adult diapers too. They are “supposed “ to be a way of extending the use of a diaper too. Although, I can’t see that as practical. 
Some of the old Kimbies I have.

8527B816-56C8-4482-B1EC-D0C31E31D91B.jpeg

Born and raised in cloth and i went back to cloth nearly 28 years ago for IC , there are pictures within my birth family of me and my cousins sitting by the Christmas tree eating lightbulbs , they only care my cousins are in it ,i am from the black sheep part of the family .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk