LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Care homes that put all residents in nappies

Easier for them.  I agree it's one of the things I hate about care homes.  It seems weather you are continent or not, one of the first things they do is put a person in diapers.  I think part of it is they have fewer staff members that have to constantly take care of every person in the facility.  Most of the day people in nursing or assisted living homes are sleeping, sitting in the common room, watching their TV's and waiting for dinner.  Not what I call a very interesting life when you have to go to a home.  It's like the start of your death sentence and you know your at then end just waiting to die.  Staff has to care for everyone and while they are assisting one person, they can't just drop everything to help the fellow who has to go to the bathroom.  In the case of my uncle in his early 90's, he would fall if he tried to get up to go to the bathroom.  Therefore, I think the available staff that has to deal with so many people figure it's easier to let a person wet or mess their diapers and change them when they get a chance to rather than constantly running around to patient's rooms every time a person needs to go to the bathroom, half the time not making it anyway.  Big difference between in home care and nursing home is the first has one-on-one care and the latter has limited staff that has to care for all residents.  Personally, I never want to have to be put in assisted living and the cost is bad enough.  I'd rather stay in my home and have one on one care a few times a day if needed, but in some cases that's not a viable option.

1 hour ago, Mikes Mike said:

Why do some care homes put all residents in nappies instead of just those who are incontinent?

My wife is a manager in a are home and she says most of their residents need continence protection but they would never enforce it to someone who didn't need it

• Like 1

That is something I have heard of but never saw IRL. I must have been at the wrong facility

Wheb I was in recovery from the CABG (I came out aHEAD), the place I was at had a kind of restroom in each room. For the first four days I was there, I chose to use a pullup having had a catheter in me for the better part of a week prior and might not be in an area where I could get at a bathroom readily and did not trust my level of continence. When I got in, I asked about protection and the first then they showed me was a pamper with 4 tapes. I said I wanted more a a pullup since I am not totally incon, I just had had a Foley in me for a while and did not trust myself to be fully continent and just wanted a "just in case" thing that I could also use in the conventional way so they got me some pullups, one of which I still have. By the fifth day I was in only normal underwear (which I put over the pullup anyway) and NO babydoll :Giggle:

• Like 1

Many care centers require diapers because of the patient’s ability to make it to the bathroom. Walking without help can be an issue and there just not enough staff to go around. A mess on the floor just adds to the problem for low staffing levels. So requiring diapers is actually part of good housekeeping.

• Like 1

I never want to be in a nursing home but I also don't want to be a burden on my children to care for. I'm already incon anyway so if I do end up in a nursing home I know already that I'll be diapered full time. My problem isn't being in a home or being diapered full time, it's the shitty diapers they use.  Knowing this I have already discussed this with my eldest daughter who will be the person responsible for my care. She has promised to have premium diapers delivered to the facility for my care exclusively and to ensure they end up on my butt not on anyone else there. I plan on living independently for as long as I'm able but a wise person plans for the expected and the unexpected.

Hugs,

Freta

5 hours ago, CuckoldedBabyGirl said:

Where do I sign up!

Believe me, you don't want to be there, even in jest!  It can be horrible and terrible for a person.  In all the cases I've seen from others, my own mom who was there temporarily for about 5 weeks to my uncle and the others there when we went to visit him, it's just a terrible depressing life and it did more mental damage to my mom than it did good!  She finally recovered after a few weeks back at home and I would never put a family member in a nursing home unless 100% there were no other options.  Had I not been out of state when my mom had her accident I would have insisted she return home.  She was only supposed to be there for some therapy but once there they wanted to keep her indefinably!  After all, you don't get paid from the insurance if you let your patients go home once they are there.  At home my mom always had family there around the clock 24/7, and it didn't take a week back at home before she started recovering mentally and physically.  Yeah, at the assisted living they put her in diapers which she didn't need and she cried all night and in the day too.  My uncle started going down hill fast the moment they put him in a nursing home.  Prior to that, he was living in his own home, puttering around his garage and eating the food he cooked himself.  He fell a couple times and his family felt he just couldn't be by himself anymore.  Last thing they wanted is for someone to come by his house and find him dead on the floor due to a fall days earlier.  Looking back, you wonder if that would have been more of a humane ending than being in a nursing home and going down hill fast.

One thing I've also noticed is any organization that bills your insurance will try to order any supplies they can for their own profits.  First thing they wanted to do when my dad got cancer was to take apart and remove his own comfortable bed and put a hospital bed in the house in it's place along with putting him in pull ups!  And he was fully mobile and continent!  He had his cancer diagnosed for 10 months until he passed away at home and he never once needed a hospital bed, which would have been a lot harder for him to get in and out of.  He slept in his own bed and was more comfortable!  Likewise, he was almost 99 years old and never once needed diapers or pull ups!  He used the toilet to the last even though we often needed to help him get to the bathroom.  Of course, Hospice and nursing homes will bill your insurance (at a profit to themselves) for any and all supplies, so if you refuse a hospital bed or diapers, they don't make as much of a profit.  This is true, by the way, and I am not knocking Hospice!  They are a Godsend!  You just have to make sure you know what is really needed and what is not like a hospital bed and diapers and stand firm.

I have spent 4 years working in the healthcare field, the only residents that where diapered for convince where those who where prone to fall if not assisted while walking and those confined to either bed or a wheelchair. 

There are those who are incontinent who also wore diapers but that was for need, to let those residents have what little dignity there was left to be had. 

My uncle was in a very small cinder block room with one other person and the room was divided in half.  It was about the size of a jail cell or smaller.  He had a bed which was more like a cot and a TV to watch and just a few pictures, nothing else.  Think of your whole life as you know it suddenly being taken away from you.  You lose your independence and are eventually cowed by staff that tells you what to do, what to wear, when and what to eat and puts you in diapers and a wheelchair not letting you go to the bathroom.  I do know that is necessary when a person falls trying to get up and walk, but it's sad for the person.  All your familiar house items are gone.  Favorite chair, pictures, mementos, everything!  You can't just decide you are going to sit on your front porch or putter around the garage or kitchen.  You can't just call up your neighbor to come visit or have him take you to the grocery store, down to the evening band concert or to the movie theater.  You just sit there doing what you are told to do, waiting to die and hoping your family will come get you and bring you back home, which isn't going to happen.  That is the sad reality for many people in assisted living. 

• Sad 1

If a resident of a nursing home is independently mobile, then diapers are not required if they are continent. However, anyone who needs assistance to get to the bathroom is automatically diapered whether they are normally continent or not. The problem is that each staff member is often responsible for caring for 20 residents.  If if takes 10 minutes to assist a resident (and that’s an optimistic estimate), it could be over 3 hours before the assistant arrives to provide help.  While my father was in a rehab facility after heart surgery, I spent about 8 hours a day in his room helping him.  This was the situation I observed at the facility he was in.  This was further confirmed by CNAs who provided home care after I had him released from the nursing home.