LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

DiaperDimension Day Length

I have a few times of the year where my schedule gets really booked up and I don't have any time to write, but I'm finally getting to one of my better times of the year for writing though and am continuing to work on something I started this summer. (Planning to finish it and a side project before I share) I have a question for those that have written in the dimension. I know that I've written about Amazonian days being longer than here on Earth as a reason for humans needing more sleep than Amazons, but I don't seem to have ever codified that time in Exchanged. I know others have mentioned that concept too, anyone have a length of day you've set? I was thinking 30/32 hours for the day instead of 24, but if someone else has already explored this I'd rather go along with you on it. Let me know, thanks!

@bbykimmy @Alex Bridges @Mee @superfunnel @zatchie @VoxyRox (Tried to tag those of you most recently writing in the dimension and dealing with dimensional travel)

I always thought of it as being around 30 hours. I also think of their week being longer, their year being longer, and due to differences in gravitational pull that time itself is slower, hence they age more slowly, with time there being about 30% slower.

It's been a while since I played in that playground, but I think I went with something around 32-36 hours?  I don't think I touched on the day length after Making the Best of It, since most of my other stories, both parties were already native to the dimension.

I didn't mess with gravity, but I did mess with aging.  In my setting, an Amazonian childhood is around 10 years (they are full-size and mentally mature in 10 years), with a low birth rate - which leads to a LOT of adults and being unable to "savor" the childhood phase.

But I diverged pretty heavily since I went into geopolitcs in mine ;)

1 hour ago, Alex Bridges said:

I always thought of it as being around 30 hours. I also think of their week being longer, their year being longer, and due to differences in gravitational pull that time itself is slower, hence they age more slowly, with time there being about 30% slower.

Thanks Alex, and I like your reasoning!

53 minutes ago, bbykimmy said:

It's been a while since I played in that playground, but I think I went with something around 32-36 hours?  I don't think I touched on the day length after Making the Best of It, since most of my other stories, both parties were already native to the dimension.

Thanks Kimmy! 

I also went with the ~30 hour day, and haven't worried about week length. I basically handwaved the longer lifetime, some combination of lower gravity (basically has to be unless you want amazons to be elephants or have very strange bone composition), differences in how time passes (like cells literally acting differently relative to perceived time), and much much better medical care. In my mind, though not written, I imagine a very old Big is ~120, while 100 near end-of-life isn't rare. I'd say Littles can achieve 100 at a higher frequency than our own dimension as well.

Hey, sorry for getting back to this thread so late (It's that time of the month when I'm active again then vanish). Whenever I've written stuff for DD I never put too much thought into the time-span of things, either because I didn't want to consider the logistics for just a short or I sort of forgot about it being a factor... Though, I am trying to work on including it into my most recent thing.

30-32 hours sounds like an ideal range to me, assuming I'm running off of "Because it feels right," science. I remember having to revise some of the heights I used in a different project that I didn't post yet because after some perspective, even by Amazon standards they seemed a little off. I think of 8 hours of sleep to get through a 24 hour day, then use math to work from there, I guess? Using that 1:3 ratio (Hours of normal rest to total hours in a normal day), if Littles need a nap to get through an Amazonian-length day which might be close to 2 hours (because I'm guessing), that means a total sleep time of 10 hours. Scale the ratio by that much and it leaves you with a 30 hour day. Then from there if you figure that 8 hours of sleep isn't long enough, play with the numbers some more. So, if you're more generous with your sleep times it might lead you to 32, not 33, because odd numbers are terrible, obviously. (Just kidding, I know a lot of odd numbers and they're some real composite guys)

I'll probably go with 32 hours in a day, because even on a 24 hour scale who doesn't love sleeping in? Damn Littles sure are lucky...

It's anyone's guess, but 25%-50% longer seems to be the range most people here are shooting for. Thanks for the @, by the way! I don't feel qualified to speak on the subject, but I'm happy to give my two cents.

Anyway, my vote is 32 hours!

8 hours ago, zatchie said:

I also went with the ~30 hour day, and haven't worried about week length. I basically handwaved the longer lifetime, some combination of lower gravity (basically has to be unless you want amazons to be elephants or have very strange bone composition), differences in how time passes (like cells literally acting differently relative to perceived time), and much much better medical care. In my mind, though not written, I imagine a very old Big is ~120, while 100 near end-of-life isn't rare. I'd say Littles can achieve 100 at a higher frequency than our own dimension as well.

Thanks for your thoughts! I also have the thoughts on the elephants/gravity issue being an issue too. Though due to normal nature I actually guess littles should out live bigs just based on tall people having shorter lifespans than shorter people (circulatory system works harder and bones are under more strain - YAY for short people!)

2 hours ago, Mee said:

It's anyone's guess, but 25%-50% longer seems to be the range most people here are shooting for. Thanks for the @, by the way! I don't feel qualified to speak on the subject, but I'm happy to give my two cents.

Anyway, my vote is 32 hours!

Thanks for your thoughts! I can go with either number of 30 or 32. Just glad we're all kind of on the same page there! Appreciate the response and totally get delays! ? 

Ok, I’ve never written a Diaper Dimension story, but I have an interesting idea! What if Amazon days are longer, but there system of keeping time is more of less the same, with the only difference being that there minutes are longer? The idea being that it makes newcomers to the dimension look childishly impatient because they don’t realize that five minutes actually means seven to eight minutes.

3 hours ago, Tableleg0 said:

Ok, I’ve never written a Diaper Dimension story, but I have an interesting idea! What if Amazon days are longer, but there system of keeping time is more of less the same, with the only difference being that there minutes are longer? The idea being that it makes newcomers to the dimension look childishly impatient because they don’t realize that five minutes actually means seven to eight minutes.

That's one way to do it. You just need to figure out a creative way to communicate with your audience. For my story I went with an approximately 32 hour day and a 380.33 day year. Thus the planet would be colder than Earth, but still in it's star's habitable zone (given that the orbital period is longer than Earth's, but shorter than Mars').

4 hours ago, Tableleg0 said:

Okay, I very much love this idea!

• 3 weeks later...

For me, a 30ish hour day makes the most sense considering what I do is mainly just scale the planets up. Now I don't really know that much about astrophysics, but I believe that a larger mass takes longer to complete a full rotation both around a star and from night to day. What I would do is also scale the year up slightly, maybe to around 400 days or so.