1. 1. Are you on the Autism Spectrum?

• Yes, professionally diagnosed
    • I have not been diagnosed, but I think I have it
    • No, I’m not on the spectrum

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/23/2019 at 6:37 PM, cookiemonster23 said:

Just a poll I made out of curiosity. :)

Great poll, very interesting to see half of us are def or probably on the spectrum, I have a cdx of AS, although even under DSM5, the criteria for dx ASD1 is exactly the same as the criteria for AS, happy to receive PMs from anyone on this subject,,,

On 1/1/2020 at 1:07 PM, Lil Fox Scotty 91 said:

I have Aspergers syndrome (A form of high functioning autism). I am really smart (140 IQ) but just lack social skills.

140, that must be nice, i was told i was given an iq test, but ive been too scared to find out what the score was, but if i had to guess, im probably lucky if id be as high as 65(i know, that is low)

11 hours ago, feralfreak said:

140, that must be nice, i was told i was given an iq test, but ive been too scared to find out what the score was, but if i had to guess, im probably lucky if id be as high as 65(i know, that is low)

Honestly, it isn't all that great when I have great weaknesses in other areas such as social skills. Lacking in that department can make life much harder than it needs to be. I sometimes wonder if life would have been easier if I was just average. Sorry for the rant. We all have our own set of problems and perks, we just got to try to play with the hand we were dealt in the best way possible to overcome life's challenges.

I have some form of Asperger's. Psychiatrist didn't know where to put me on the ASD so it was AS. This was back in 1997 and back then autistic spectrum disorder wasn't a legitimate diagnoses back then. For some reason he couldn't do PDD-NOS but that isn't a real diagnoses either. 

11 hours ago, Nat said:

I have some form of Asperger's. Psychiatrist didn't know where to put me on the ASD so it was AS. This was back in 1997 and back then autistic spectrum disorder wasn't a legitimate diagnoses back then. For some reason he couldn't do PDD-NOS but that isn't a real diagnoses either. 

PDD-NOS was a "legitimate" diagnosis under DSM4, but idk if DSM goes back to 1997, I didn't know ASD was even a term in 1997, I often think the psych establishment are covering something up tbh,,,

Even today in UK I've seen "fulfils the criteria for Asperger Syndrome so the dx is ASD level 1", so why change the name?,,, 

16 hours ago, Lil Fox Scotty 91 said:

Honestly, it isn't all that great when I have great weaknesses in other areas such as social skills. Lacking in that department can make life much harder than it needs to be. I sometimes wonder if life would have been easier if I was just average. Sorry for the rant. We all have our own set of problems and perks, we just got to try to play with the hand we were dealt in the best way possible to overcome life's challenges.

i tend to think id have been better off if i was nonverbal, or even low functioning, i function just high enough to know im what i call (before i say it, i refer to ONLY ME as this, not others) a glorified retard, like a 386 pc in a world of whatever the current processors are, people say "you can do this or that if you wanted to" and "you gotta learn to do this and that) like they think its so damn easy, must be nice to be so fucking perfect that they can sit in judgement and not look through my eyes,

I couldn't adequately answer the poll. I have been diagnosed by my counselor with high functioning autism but it's not recognized as being "official" which is super frustrating. People judge me solely by appearance and think that I'm completely able to do all kinds of things. Basically I fell through the cracks and have had to pretend and copy other people in order to fit in and be normal. Now that I'm older it's clear I can't keep up but there is little to no help for those in the 30s age bracket. I'm currently working with an autism service to try and help other people like me but it's hard. I really lament not having the foresight to find help sooner but I'm determined to not give up.

• Like 1

I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome before it was deprecated. I'm comfortable being diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder. (I also have comorbid ADHD inattentive type.)

My medical records officially cite my UI and FI (both severe/total) as being the result of "autism-related developmental delay". I'm sceptical, but they qualify me for medical welfare benefits which help me buy my diapers so I'm not against it.

• Like 1
I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome before it was deprecated. I'm comfortable being diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder. (I also have comorbid ADHD inattentive type.)
My medical records officially cite my UI and FI (both severe/total) as being the result of "autism-related developmental delay". I'm sceptical, but they qualify me for medical welfare benefits which help me buy my diapers so I'm not against it.
I have Autism spectrum disorder ADHD pdd-nos and OCD and incontinent wear diapers as a result And my mom is studying to be a nurse and in her microbiology class she learned that OCD is caused by a microorganism

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, scif788 said:

I have Autism spectrum disorder ADHD pdd-nos and OCD and incontinent wear diapers as a result And my mom is studying to be a nurse and in her microbiology class she learned that OCD is caused by a microorganism

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

my mom was a nurse for almost 30 years, and this is the first ive heard of ocd being caused by a bug

I was diagnosed with aspergers autism when I was 5 (back before it was seen as a spectrum)

To be honest I don't notice that much of this diagnosis at this point in my life except for the fact I dislike being around poeple since I can be driven nuts being around large crowds and even conversations with close friends can be exhausting. (Anxiety is a bitch)

I dont have the best motor functions but nothing I cant overcome. I have actually gotten pretty good at drawing in spite of my motor functions.

I also have to manually learn how to communicate with poeple, which sucks but that means I can always learn something new everyday.

I was diagnosed with aspergers autism when I was 5 (back before it was seen as a spectrum)
To be honest I don't notice that much of this diagnosis at this point in my life except for the fact I dislike being around poeple since I can be driven nuts being around large crowds and even conversations with close friends can be exhausting. (Anxiety is a bitch)
I dont have the best motor functions but nothing I cant overcome. I have actually gotten pretty good at drawing in spite of my motor functions.
I also have to manually learn how to communicate with poeple, which sucks but that means I can always learn something new everyday.

Anybody else have Autism Spectrum Disorder and incontinent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On 2/1/2020 at 2:43 AM, Pete671 said:

PDD-NOS was a "legitimate" diagnosis under DSM4, but idk if DSM goes back to 1997, I didn't know ASD was even a term in 1997, I often think the psych establishment are covering something up tbh,,,

Even today in UK I've seen "fulfils the criteria for Asperger Syndrome so the dx is ASD level 1", so why change the name?,,, 

Any NOS label is another way of saying "I don't know what is wrong with you but you clearly fall on this spectrum but fit in neither diagnoses." 

And ASD was a term made up by my psychiatrist because it was his way of saying I am somewhere on it but don't fit into the autistic diagnoses or Asperger's diagnoses. 

The problem with the DSM is they try to put people into boxes and not everyone is going to fit into it perfectly. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/31/2020 at 4:42 AM, Pete671 said:

Great poll, very interesting to see half of us are def or probably on the spectrum, I have a cdx of AS, although even under DSM5, the criteria for dx ASD1 is exactly the same as the criteria for AS, happy to receive PMs from anyone on this subject,,,

Thank you! I heard that autistic people make up a big part of this community, or at least the diaper aspect, and I wanted to verify that! 

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/28/2020 at 11:17 AM, cookiemonster23 said:

Thank you! I heard that autistic people make up a big part of this community, or at least the diaper aspect, and I wanted to verify that! 

It's probably a comfort thing for a lot of ABDLs.  Diapers can be like a security blanket that you can wear.

• 2 years later...

I distrust "spectrum" as a diagnostic device.

1. It is in-exact and can have bad repercussions. Here is the story of the first and larger of the two anti-vax movements. If you listen to the AUTISM SPEAKS presentation, you are told that the oods of a child having autism have shrunk from about 1 in 3,00 to 1 in 110, 88 otr 68, depending on the ad you are hearing at the moment. Now shortly after this "spectrum" was created, which expanded the diganosis range, creating more cases, Oprah Winfry had an anti-vaxxer on who claimed that Thymerisol (sp?), was responsible for this increase in autism, this was in c2000. thymerisol is the preservative that was used in vaccines since the 1940's or so. It cantains Mercury, which has been a known toxin for over a century. However, ther are ways to keep it from leeching into the body. This was done in both Thymerisol and the still used Amalgem or "silver" fillings, of which I have had a mouthfu since about 1956. Now, what nobody has been talking about is that the use of Thymerisol has gone DOWN over the last  quarter  century, whil anti-vax sentiment has gone up, which has led to a 3 point drop in Life Expectancy due to failure tovaccinate against things like whooping cough (The anti COVID vax movement is a political one due to Trump bringing the hard-core lunatic fringe into mainstream politics and culture)

2. I can mislead. At what point do you misdiagnose something as part of "the spectrum". I have been diagnosed with Charles Bonnet Syndrome depite the fact that the symptoms have persisted for 15 years instead of the 18 month period and they are not a "pettern" hallucination (in one case I know of, the person sees fleur de lis patterns on a blank wall, in another, ther preson see grass on flat surfaces). The only time I got "pattern" hllucinations was when I was almost totally blind awaiting the recetn corneal transplant, and those went away thereafter. Some 7 years ago, when I inquired into the lack of a match between what I understood to be CBS symptoms and what I was getting (massive persistence of the condition and the hallucinations not being a pattern) I was told, without any testing as the test would be difficult, that I had an "atypical" Case. At what point does the "atypical"ity indicate something else, rather than the supposed diagnosis

3 there is a bit of bullying. IN the mid aughts, the astronomers, apparently having nothing better to do, demoted Pluto out of the "planet" category. This sit up a storm from the people who cared about such things, including rank and file astronomers and planetologists, noting that Pluto has quite an active "geology". So, in about 2008 the invented "dwarf planet", thus avoiding any responsiblility for error or overstepping their bounds; and making everybody unhappy

5 It complicates by creating more categories and therefore more "moving parts". a BEACON for Murphys the world over

5  It sets the stage for laziness, Instead of testing, just stick the case somewhere on "the spectrum" (taking advantage of all of the above)

It were better to leave the things like Asperger's" as separate, self -standing matters that are clearly defined and understood. If you cant to say that it is related to autism and can prove it, that is fine. The current thing just messes up the science at the root

• 2 months later...

HFA 😀

I think that from a very young age I found that diapers and "little" things helped me cope with everyday life with a lot of stress and anxiety due to undiagnosed autism. Was first diagnosed about 3 years ago.

I do not believe that I am a "little" because of my autism. I know several people with HFA and as far as I know none of them are attracted to diapers or have a "little” persona.

Maybe I have developed my “little” side as a way to protect myself in this cruel world where most people does not know much about what HFA is and how to handle and help people with HFA.

• Like 1

@Little_Mouse

I believe that in my opinion, there are way too many people who'd label almost any type of thing that they deal with. This is due to the fact that when we were kids, they would always throw things like " mentally challenged" and other inappropriate words that I will not use here, to describe people that are or have conditions such as down syndrome autism or Conditions such as attention deficit disorder (ADD) or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

I do understand that there are conditions that are identified this way, But when we were growing up as kids, and we were disabled, it was far too easy for somebody to diagnose you as something, label it as something, and then try to find a way to help you, in some cases the help that they would give you would be worse than the condition they were trying to deal with. not only that, but people that have conditions that are difficult to deal with, have other struggles that they deal with, because they have to live have to live with the condition that people are trying to teach how to how to handle or to treat, and they are entitled to be respected when they do it, and in the 70s and prior to that, things were a heck of a lot different, and a heck of a lot less under understanding was used. I feel as if some people that were in our position were mistreated because of our conditions and misunderstood because people didn't understand as much about those conditions as they do today.

I agree with you that some people that have these conditions may end up needing Diapers for incontinence, And then they also May find diapers comforting to them. if if someone who is autistic decides to embrace this lifestyle to protect himself or herself from the world around them, then that is cool. even at my age, I am trying to learn as much as I can about disabilities, so that I can better deal with deal with them, for example when I'm dealing with a friend that might have a disability, And I'm trying to understand what he is dealing with as he ages for example.

I also agree with you that maybe people do not understand what high functioning autism is, and they have their beliefs about what it is, or how they treat it, or they have their own belief systems about how to take care of situations.  I believe that some of the problem may stem from the fact that when you are autistic sometimes you May shut off to the world, and then go into your own world, and then there are people on the outside trying to get in, and they are somewhat unsuccessful, until they find a way to communicate with you so that you can communicate with an individual on the outside. I believe that there are many high functioning individuals that have autism that can function very well the way they do, And that is because they have found ways to cope with situations and can do it very very well.

luckily in the 70s things were different back then. And and now that we are in present Day 2023, the way you deal with people that are disabled is a lot different than the way you used to deal with it back in the 50s sixties or 70s, or before people actually understood to some level what they were dealing with. I have these eerie dreams of people that deal with disabilities, but they don't really deal with them, they're just trying to figure out how to do something to help someone, and they do it in a way that may be harmful. There are different ways now to handle people with Down syndrome or autism or any other disability, And one of them is to use terrible words that shouldn't be used, And in its place you use mentally challenged or physically challenged, or maybe mobility challenged, but never those terrible words that we used way back when, because we thought that was inappropriate response I will not use those words here, but I think you get my meaning!

I always remember that people that are autistic or people that have disabilities or people that have Down syndrome or whatever they're dealing with, they are dealing with their own struggles their own problems and their own feelings and thoughts and everything else, And one of the things that we have to do is make sure that we are helping these people as best as best weekend,, making sure that they are respected all the way around, and we help them learn strategies to be able to live their life to the best of their ability. gone are the days when you would take someone that is disabled and take them somewhere and lock them up and deal with them in a medical clinical setting. nowadays there are programs that are built to help people with these types of disabilities, including mine of cerebral palsy, so it is not something that you would have to put someone in a medical facility long term to be able to deal with, you put them in there maybe for a while, if they need help, And then you maintain their therapy so that they don't backstep.

I agree that sometimes what you do is you find a way to cope with what you're dealing with. people do not understand sometimes that being an AB or a DL can sometimes help someone deal with the situations they're dealing with. People that are autistic severe autistic that is, that are incontinent as well, so they deal with that on top of Dealing with whatever other situations and disabilities that person has. regardless of what disability a person has, the idea here is to respect them to the fullest extent possible, helping them to be productive citizens, and also to allow them to live their life as well as they can.

I also agree that the world around us is kind of screwed up, correction It is screwed up! in the last 20 to 30 years our world has gone from one end of the spectrum to the other. People used to be able to get along and be able to deal with almost any situation, come to an agreement and then honor their own agreements And if they said something that they were gonna do they did it, they didn't lie they didn't cheat they didn't steal, they didn't manipulate people and make them do things that they shouldn't, but that's what happens in this world today. most people are worried about whether you are one side or the other, democrat or Republican, and not whether you are a human being with a brain of your own to make a decision of what you think is right and what you think is wrong. far too often the two party system drives the person's beliefs and also and also tells them what they should believe and what they shouldn't.

So with this crazy world, it's no wonder there are people that want to regress and return to a time when they didn't have any responsibilities, or they didn't have any worries, or they didn't have to worry about being judged in a negative fashion, or made to feel like they aliens in their own world. Sometimes I think people that are autistic go through this at an alarming rate because they are trying to figure out how to handle what they're dealing with, and they might not be able to deal with it alone. If people need to regress, if people need to wear diapers or want to wear diapers to help them deal with, or because of sensory input because it helps them, by all means. This world is so messed up Sometimes I wonder how it can function, as I said people don't get along as they used to, people don't know sometimes what right or wrong is in 2023, whereas I would know what is right and what is wrong because because I was brought up to believe that there were certain things that were right and certain things that were wrong, and even today, norms have changed and things that were taboo back then are being accepted, which is awesome, but one thing that I hated more than anything in the world is to be labeled anything, because then people would be able to pick on you, and call you a whole bunch of weird names, and always try to see if they could get you in trouble. some times being disabled, that can be a pain in the butt. 

however, I have learned how to deal with many situations in my life, and as I say I would not trade my disability or what I'm dealing with for anything in this world, all I ask is that I am able to live as long as I can, do as much as I can for myself, enjoy my life that I have, and be able to give back to the people who have given to me, help people that need it when they need help, and to be able to be someone who can be a mentor or a guide.  I've had to use coping mechanisms to be able to deal with things that bother me, diapers are one of those coping mechanisms And coping methods. So it is not uncommon for people that are autistic or have a disability to be attracted to diapers, especially if they have been them and continue to use them And for some reason that completes them or makes them be able to function to the way they want to function. I am glad that people's outlooks are changing, and they understand that people who disabled may need diapers or want to use them, and people's opinions are changing! sometimes sometimes the best thing that you can do is to return to a time when you feel the safest, and I'm not sure if being a little has anything to do with autism, but I know that people who are autistic have certain things that help them with their sensory inputs, and they might go and find something that is hard or something that tickles them or something that is prickly or something that is warm or something that is soft, or whatever it is that helps them deal with the world around them. in my mind it is not uncommon for people who To be either AB or DL or to wear diapers, because that can sometimes be one of the best things that can happen to them, because now they won't have to worry if something happens, because they are protected from a terrible world sometimes that doesn't understand what is going on, and sometimes doesn't care.

I'm just glad that my parents raised me with the ability to use my head, be able to reason, be able to realize that there are people that are worse off than I am in the world, and try to instill in me that I should try to help as many people as I can. without being able to help someone, I would feel like I'm not doing what I need to do as a human being. there are many people that need assistance, there are many people that need help to do certain things, and when you can do that to help people, that helps their life to be improved. I'm glad for example that my roommate can also get to help he needs when he needs it, so he can function tow his highest level, and I am glad that there for us to be able to deal with our disabilities and our in our situations in an appropriate manner.

Brian

• Like 1

I was supposedly the first kid in my school district to be diagnosed as autistic in kindergarten. (1984). I did speech therapy, occupational therapy, had to visit with a psychologist once a week throughout elementary school. It wasn’t until I was 25 that it was suspected that I was an Aspie. 

• Like 1