LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Plastic Pants for cloth backed disposables

Hi all

What is the deal with Plastic Pants for cloth backed disposables as new to transistioning from pull ups (abena abriflex) to abena abriform or Molicare elastic (when they come in stock),

Thanks

I always wear plastic pants over disposable....I find the plastic of LeakMaster Heavy duty plastic pants to feel better than the thin plastic of disposables.

At home I'll often wear clear Euroflex polyurethane pants over disposables.  They are virtually indestructible, feel like rubber, and...for home.... are very noisy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

I have plastic pants to wear over cloth-backed disposables but use them primarily for nighttime.  Without plastic pants I find cloth-backed to get cold and thus uncomfortable when wet.  Plastic pants help keep a wet diaper warm and thus, more comfortable when sleeping.  For daytime, it depends.  I was wearing the molicare maxi (cloth-backed) and they leak straight through. Plastic pants were essential in that case.  

Often times your wetness will wick to the outer part of a cloth backed diaper and then the outer layer is wet in some areas, probably around your legs and crotch the most.  Plastic pants can help keep your pants and what you sit on dry if your pee wicks through to the outer cloth backing.  Also helps on plastic backed diapers that leak from over wetting, especially lower end diapers.

I'm diapered 24/7, 85% in disposable (due to overwhelming practicality rather than preference) and I don't think I could do it without plastic pants.

All disposables leak at some point.  If sized and worn correctly, the leaks are minor but they're still going to get small amounts of pee onto your clothing or into your bedding. Wicking, press-out leaks,  or outright seepage through the "waterproof" liner of cloth backed disposables (some brands worse than others, thinking about YOU Tena Maxi..)  If you're using diapers in bed, position is critical when peeing to avoid leaks and as one becomes habituated to diaper usage, one forgets (or does not awake fully) to manage position and leaks will happen then too.

Plastic pants will manage this.  They won't stop a major leak (might delay it for a minute or two) but they will cover up those small seepages.  Even in my plastic-backed, long-range workday diaper (BetterDry), I will find a few tiny spots of moisture in the seat or crotch of my waterproof pants at the end of the day around 30% of the time.  Presumably this pee would otherwise be dissipated into my jeans.  No thank you.  I think that's how incontinent people sometimes get a reputation for smelling.

I generally use about three high quality disposables per day.  During the day I wear them under Gary PUL waterproof pants and at night, I will wear them under a terry-lined waterproof trainer pant.  I could possibly use maybe 5 per day by changing them earlier and chancing it without plastic pants but for me, that solution is expensive, wasteful, less convenient, and still not altogether reliable.

• Like 1

Right now, I'm only using disposables, but I do have a goodly supply of cloth diapers and plastic pants. I get a substantial (obvious) leak about 2-3 times a month and that's it. I could wear plastic or PUL pants over my diapers to take care of this, but it's a very short term issue for me right now, so I don't bother. I do go through 2-3 premium diapers in a day and none at night. I'm one of those oddballs whose bladder works OK when I'm horizontal. For now- we'll see as I get older.

Wicking is not an issue with cloth backed disposables, despite what many believe. When they were new, it was. Now, the technology and quality is excellent.

You may, however, still experience leaks from over saturation. Plastic pants will help that. Helps even more to wear a pair of fixing pants over your diaper and then the plastic pants.

57 minutes ago, Dubious said:

Plastic over cloth-like kinda beats the purpose by wearing cloth-like
Might as well wear plastic diapers
But, I might do the same in the near future, as cloth-like is so much easier to get 

....I just got a few pairs of plastic pants this week, wore them a few nights-damn, I don't know how you guys stand them. Maybe it's something you need to get used to but god are those pp hot & sweaty. I don't wet my super nice gauze cloth diapers and I prefer to wear them without plastic pants-so much more comfortable, at least to me anyways!!!

Cloth-like diapers, in my opinion and experience, are the worst kind.

I can appreciate and fully understand the reason for the design, primarily to reduce / eliminate the friction rash on the inner thighs created from the rubbing of plastic etc. However, due to production cost reductions, both the plastic backing and the cloth cover thickness is being reduced.

With all diapers, they are compress packed into as small a package as possible. This reduces delivery cost for the supplier per item.. i.e. if a delivery truck is 100 square feet, and a diaper package is reduced from 1 foot square to 1/2 foot square, more can be fitted into the same truck at roughly the same delivery cost = cheaper per unit for transport. However, the 'compression' has a cost. Within a diaper is S.A.P. (hydrogels) and cotton. Cotton is used to wick urine away from the skin and is very fast at doing same. It will. however, when squeezed, release the urine. So a diaper made only from cotton will leak. To 'lock away' the urine to prevent 're-wet' hydrogels are employed. Hydrogels absorb urine via hydrogen bonding with water molocules. This is an endothermic (uses heat) chemical reaction that takes time... i.e it is slower than the process that cotton uses to hold water (urine). Both in a diaper work hand in hand to increase the absorbancy of the diaper and reduce the 're-wet' issues.

However,  the SAP (Hydrogels) are not perfectly smooth. They have small sharp edges. The compression tends to force some of the SAP against the backsheet which will create micro-holes in the back sheet. Without a cloth like cover, the backsheet is thicker (it is the framework the diaper is built on). As a result, weeping is reduced. Cloth tends to wick urine. Add this to a thin back-sheet and these 'cloth-like' diapers will always leak.

The fixings on adult diapers are never strong enough. This is due to physics. An adult diaper is larger, more absorbant, and therefore heaver than its baby counterpart. As a result, the fixings should by squared in area compared to a baby diaper ... which is not reasonable. It would make the fixings larger than the diaper. With a plastic backed diaper, it is possible to reinforce this weakness with extra sticky tape. This doesn't work with 'cloth like' diapers as most (except for the industrial tape) does not stick to same.

From experience, with a cloth-like cover diaper, I have to wear over same, a training pant / cloth diaper plus plastic pants to eliminate the leaks and to keep the diaper in place. Overnight, the cover tends to snag on sheets / clothes and be pulled off. Even on babies, these tend to be the issues also, which are somewhat reduced with onesies etc. The leakage issue is still a problem, but since most parents do not trust a diaper for its advertised duration, (and that it is rare for a baby to sleep through the night), a baby is changed twice / three times overnight... but still does not eliminate the leakage issue. I have had to change a babies sleepsuit / onesie bedding due to the diaper weeping numerous times.

Since I have to wear a cloth diaper and plastic pants over a 'cloth-like' disposable diaper, I have asked the question - why wear the 'cloth-like' disposable? It is not doing much more of a job than a simple diaper insert!!!

Cloth-like friction rash a lot more than plastic since they aren't smooth and the plastic problem when the diaper gets wet, is solved with a onesie or boxers
Cloth like get stuck to everything, so having something over it is mandatory, even get stuck to body hair, ouch!
I have worn plastic without anything over without much issue

The cure for friction rash is to put a thin layer of baby powder on the part that goes between the legs or on the thighs themselves

On 12/25/2019 at 6:49 PM, Little Christine said:

The cure for friction rash is to put a thin layer of baby powder on the part that goes between the legs or on the thighs themselves

You are correct, when it comes to plastic to skin contact.... but with the 'cloth-like' diapers, the powder does not work as the back of the cloth-like diaper will become damp. As a result, the powder absorbs the wetness, clumps together and increases the roughness of the diaper against the skin.

5 hours ago, babykeiff said:

You are correct, when it comes to plastic to skin contact.... but with the 'cloth-like' diapers, the powder does not work as the back of the cloth-like diaper will become damp. As a result, the powder absorbs the wetness, clumps together and increases the roughness of the diaper against the skin.

I was speaking in the palstic to skin context as it had been mentioned. It is what you often do in the summer if you are in rubber panteis. I guess one should wear waterproof panties, which one is advised to do anyway, and use the baby powder

The Portuguese have a name for this "varilhas assadas [pronounced 'var EEL-yazh as-SAD-ash']". The first word means the upper inner thighs and the last means "roasted"

• 5 weeks later...

It's really crazy that I used to get almost leak proof protection from a good Plastic backed. and now most of the cloth outers have a wicking to the outer cloth like, so you really need to wear plastic pants over them for what was a minor wet spot with plastic backed, is now much worse with the cloth outers. 

It really just saves the diaper company money, and cost us more,  and Kinda beats there whole idea of making a diaper that's discreet .

• 2 years later...

So I know this thread is old but it's all recent news to me! I mentioned on an earlier thread how I recently switched to tape on diapers during the day. Initially, I was wearing plastic backed ones, and although I appreciated the comfort and security they provided me in managing OAB symptoms, I was a little embarrassed about the crinkling. As a result, I bought a couple of packs of cloth backed diapers and started wearing those. 

Well, I found out what everyone was talking about above and had a major leak one afternoon!! Thank God I had black pants on! I mostly blame myself because I know I was busy that day and have been relying on the diapers perhaps a bit more than I should. 

Anyways, I ordered a few pairs of plastic pants and today is my first day wearing both the cloth backed diapers since the leakage incident. While I wore the plastic pants for a bit at home, this is my 1st time wearing them all day. It's interesting....I don't find them uncomfortable though they took a minute to get used to. I also do feel better in the cloth backed diaper than without them. Anyways, I don't know if I have anything interesting to add but wanted to chime in. 

On 11/15/2019 at 2:26 PM, Wetpants said:

I always wear plastic pants over disposable....I find the plastic of LeakMaster Heavy duty plastic pants to feel better than the thin plastic of disposables.

At home I'll often wear clear Euroflex polyurethane pants over disposables.  They are virtually indestructible, feel like rubber, and...for home.... are very noisy.

There you go. Always wear plastic pants regardless of diaper type. They kill the crinkle sound and keep leaks inside.

a