LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Wearing on long journeys

Ryan1967

Hi Ryan, thank you for starting a conversation about wearing nappies/diapers on journeys. Like you I was put back into diapers for trips or events where getting to a ladies' room in a hurry would be a problem. Let me make it very clear that my Mom always asked me nicely,

By the time I was born in 1964, my Mom had no bladder control, so she needed diapers 24/7. The same was true for her mother, my Granny Vi and Mom's youngest sister, my Aunt Betsy. Clearly urinary problems ran in Mom's family. Although I was fully toilet trained at 33 months (early 1967) my bladder was tiny and over-active. My older sister, and both of my younger sisters had the same problem. Granny told us that besised my Mom Alice and Betsy, both of her other daughters had poor bladder control.

When Alice was 4 WWII had gas rationing, so her trips were on trains. Those had ladies' rooms, but often lines were long. Granny's solution was to nicely ask Alice to wear what Granny calls "Just-in-Case" diapers. As her other daughters were toilet-trained they also wore just-in-case diapers when needed.

Penny, my older sister by 5 years, never gained enough bladder control to avoid just-in-case diapers for trips as short as 40 minutes. When I was 10 I could hold off wetting for more than an hour, but doing so was painful. I told Mom about that, so she never got annoyed when I asked for a diaper for shorter trips.

Like my sisters I reverted to bedwetting around puberty, at which point I was taught how to diaper myself. I only stopped wearing just-in-case diapers at age 21 in 1985 because that was when I lost all my daytime bladder control. Starting then I've needed diapers 24/7.

I was never embarrassed about wearing diapers as an older child or teen.I still am no ashamed about my need for diapers.

Edited by Angela Bauer
correct typos
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2019 at 5:04 PM, Angela Bauer said:

Hi Ryan, thank you for starting a conversation about wearing nappies/diapers on journeys. Like you I was put back into diapers for trips or events where getting to a ladies' room in a hurry would be a problem. Let me make it very clear that my Mom always asked me nicely,

By the time I was born in 1964, my Mom had no bladder control, so she needed diapers 24/7. The same was true for her mother, my Granny Vi and Mom's youngest sister, my Aunt Betsy. Clearly urinary problems ran in Mom's family. Although I was fully toilet trained at 33 months (early 1967) my bladder was tiny and over-active. My older sister, and both of my younger sisters had the same problem. Granny told us that besised my Mom Alice and Betsy, both of her other daughters had poor bladder control.

When Alice was 4 WWII had gas rationing, so her trips were on trains. Those had ladies' rooms, but often lines were long. Granny's solution was to nicely ask Alice to wear what Granny calls "Just-in-Case" diapers. As her other daughters were toilet-trained they also wore just-in-case diapers when needed.

Penny, my older sister by 5 years, never gained enough bladder control to avoid just-in-case diapers for trips as short as 40 minutes. When I was 10 I could hold off wetting for more than an hour, but doing so was painful. I told Mom about that, so she never got annoyed when I asked for a diaper for shorter trips.

Like my sisters I reverted to bedwetting around puberty, at which point I was taught how to diaper myself. I only stopped wearing just-in-case diapers at age 21 in 1985 because that was when I lost all my daytime bladder control. Starting then I've needed diapers 24/7.

I was never embarrassed about wearing diapers as an older child or teen.I still am no ashamed about my need for diapers.

That was mostly a girl thing, usually ending at around 8-1/2. This was before the Interstate System, with it's speeds of 60-70 mph, when speeds varied from 25 mph in town, which you went though often enough, to 45 on the highways. From Tiverton RI, it took about 2 hours to reach Roxbury, Boston. about 50 miles  down Rt 138. Why it was so much a girl thing has to do with how they are built. Along the way, there were plenty of wooded areas where the driver could pull over next. A boy or man could get out of the car, go in a few feet, behind a tree and "see a man about a horse". Girls and ladies could not do that. While most adutls and children 9 or over could hold it for the trip, a 6 or 7 year old could not. So since a little girl could not go behind a tree, it was diapers and rubber panties for her

This did have ramifications for me as a ltittle girl. Where I would stay for the afternoon with two sisters who were fully aware of me had a bathroom in a funny place. You had to go out the door, around to the above ground part of the cellar, go in, put the light on, find the toilet and go. Also, in general, grownups did not want the bathroom being used every hour or so by two or thee girls. So, if there were two or more girls in the group who could not hold it for 2 hours then they both were diapered, usually until about age 8. Linda and I , when we were under 8 would be diapered for the afternoon 12:30 - 4:45

• 3 months later...

Yes. I live in Brisbane and used to have to make a long journey by car to Rockhampton (approx. 650km north) to see family. That was pretty reliably once a year around Christmas and I was usually diapered for the entire journey and during any time when I was aimlessly moving around the city.

I had continence issues as a kid, but this continued to be the case even when I had pretty decent continence.

1 hour ago, Pampertimmy said:

I was a bed wetting until I was 10ish. I was diapered every night and for naps. I was diapered for long trips in case I fell asleep. 

Timmy, that sounds reasonable to me. It is much healthier for bedwetters to wear diapers than tp have a lot of their body in contact with urine.

Until I reached puberty I did not need diapers in bed because I always woke up in time to use a toilet. However because my bladder was tiny and over-active my Mom always nicely asked me to wear just-in-case diapers because even though I needed a toilet in the car there was no way to reach a toilet in time.

On 2/6/2020 at 6:31 AM, Angela Bauer said:

Timmy, that sounds reasonable to me. It is much healthier for bedwetters to wear diapers than tp have a lot of their body in contact with urine.

Until I reached puberty I did not need diapers in bed because I always woke up in time to use a toilet. However because my bladder was tiny and over-active my Mom always nicely asked me to wear just-in-case diapers because even though I needed a toilet in the car there was no way to reach a toilet in time.

Hiya Angela,

I've read your posts about this subject a few times as well as others who wore 'just in case' on journeys

I'm curious as to what happened when you needed to go number 2 while wearing a cloth diaper on a journey? Did you hold until you could make it to a restroom or simply just use your diaper and mom took care of it when you arrived at either rest stop or destination?

Growing up I usually pooped once a day and that was shortly after getting up in the mornings. Even on trips I did not wear diapers to bed until I reverted to bedwetting at puberty in 1976 when I turned 12. On a trip I would get up, poop in the toilet and then pin on a diaper for the driving.

I cannot remember pooping a diaper on a trip. However, in 1972 just before my youngest sister Missy turned 3 she had a serious case of near liquid poop which used up the entire supply of gauze diapers. We had to stop driving and check into a motel to wash the soiled diapers. While my oldest sister Penny and I used the washing machine, our Mom and Dad drove a few blocks to a supermarket to buy disposable Pampers.

That was before Pampers had sticky tabs, They sold rolls of sticky separately, but since Mom was anti-disposables she did not know that. Instead she used regular diaper pins to fasten Missy's Pampers. Before we left the next morning Mom took Missy with her to my more Pampers. Missy knew about the rolls of tape because she had watched TV commercials. Once home after Missy was better our family never bought disposables until 1981 when I was moving to university. I wore Attends adult disposables on the flight to university and on every trip after that.

I was put into "just in case diapers" for longer car trips up until around age 10, when I stopped wetting the bed. The "rules" for this were unclear - it seemed to depend on where we were going, how far it was, what time of day we were leaving and arriving, what we were doing on the way, and also possibly if Venus was in Aries. My nosy sister liked to ask if I should be wearing a diaper, whenever we headed anywhere further than the grocery store, and half the time my mom would say "mind your own business" to her, and the other half, she'd say "it might not be a bad idea." I never asked that question myself, always hoping that if it went unmentioned, maybe it would get overlooked. The concern was that I would fall asleep in the car, and have an accident, as well as my being ready for bed aiding the transition into where ever we were staying, if we were arriving late. Sleeping kids could be deposited straight into bed, rather than having to be roused and implored to change. As for pooping, I never did that in my diaper after probably age 3 or so.

2 hours ago, Angela Bauer said:

That was before Pampers had sticky tabs, They sold rolls of sticky separately, but since Mom was anti-disposables she did not know that. Instead she used regular diaper pins to fasten Missy's Pampers.

If I was wearing a just-in-case diaper during the day for travel, it was nearly always a disposable, usually Pampers. This was the 1980's so they had tapes built into them, but the tapes weren't good for repeated openings because they tended to tear the cover of the diaper, or leave their glue behind. I didn't tend to want to use the diaper if I was awake - I'd sometimes pee in it if I really had to go, but, generally, when we stopped for gas or food, I would just trot off to the washroom, and hitch down the front of it, preferably in a stall rather than standing beside other people, if it could be helped. If I needed to go #2, one of the tapes would be peeled back as carefully as possible, and then I would slide the diaper down, do what I needed to do, and my mom carried a roll of tape in the car for repairs if the opened tape could no longer be returned to service. I didn't realize they used to sell rolls of the tabs separately!

Hi Little Sherri,

Pampers did slowly introduce the factory installed sticky tabs in early 1972, but they were not available nation-wide until September. In any case that town where we stopped was north of Fresno, CA. We had often driven through it going to Yosemite National Park. 

In 1976 my Mom's youngest sister, our Aunt Betsy, and her husband bought the house across the street from us. Her older kids were too large for Pampers so wore pinned gauze diapers on trips, as did Aunt Betsy. By then Pampers had tabs, but Betsy always started off by not using the tabs and using diaper pins, since those could be removed to allow re-use of a diaper that still had capacity,

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I was also made to wear nappies for long car journeys and like Little Sherri, the “rules” for this were really unclear. I think a lot of it depended upon my mothers mood, as well as the time of day. It seemed more likely that I would be put into a nappy for a long journey that started in the morning, perhaps a response to having woken up in a wet one. This was until the age of 11. However, irrespective of the time, I would be put into a nappy whenever the journey involved flying, which was quite frequent as my family had a house in Spain. I used to be extremely self conscious wearing during the day, as not only were the nappies incredibly loud and crinkly, but my younger brother by four years was out of nappies completely by the age of 3. So being seven and wearing, while my brother of three wasn’t didn’t do a whole lot for my self-esteem. As much as it was embarrassing, it was nonetheless practical and for anybody interested, I wore a brand that doesn’t exist anymore called Peaudouce, that made in sizes up to youth.