LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

How Often do You Change Plastic Pants?

DAQ

So still new to the cloth diaper thing. Generally I am not changing from one cloth to another though. I am pretty sure you should but do you change plastic pants every time you change your cloth diapers? Is there ever a time you don't?

Thanks

No I do not always change my plastic pant if I change my cloth diaper. On the other hand I do like to switch around. I have a wide variety of plastic pants and it is fun to wear another type with another feel every so now and then.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, dlnoir said:

No I do not always change my plastic pant if I change my cloth diaper. On the other hand I do like to switch around. I have a wide variety of plastic pants and it is fun to wear another type with another feel every so now and then.

Yup. Also wear plastics 24/7 with disposables and change them when they stink and/or leak.

For a wet cloth diaper, my plastic pants are going to at least get a rinse in clean water and a chance to dry out.  They will smell of pee otherwise which my partner would object to.  After a couple of wet nappies, they go in the wash.

For during the working week, I can wear my PUL plastic pants over my diaper for multiple days unless there is a major leak.  I will wear different waterproofs (terry lined vinyl) at night in bed though.  Again, they can handle multiple nights unless there's a major leak and they're done.  A minor leak around the leggings I will live with as long as they don't smell.

• Like 1

I suppose I handwash mine about once or twice a week - I never put them in the washing machine.  I check them for whether they're starting to get smelly, but they don't often.  I always wash them after I've had a leak or a near leak, as the elastic gets wet then.  Usually the wash is just a hot water rinse in the sink, but occasionally I'll use soap, to get the elastic properly clean.  I dry them straight away with a towel, getting as much water as I can out of the elastic.  Sometimes I put them straight back on, but usually they get a chance to dry completely before I wear them again.  I've usually got 2 or 3 pairs in rotation.  By the way, polyurethane pants are a lot easier to wash and dry than vinyl/PVC, in my experience.  And I usually avoid pants with the elastic fully enclosed, as it's very difficult/impossible to get the elastic properly clean when anything gets in there - and it will.

5 hours ago, BabyJune said:

I wipe my vinyl pants (inside) with disinfectant wipes between diaper changes, but I change pants after three diaper changes (the end of the day).

What kind of wipe? I have Clorox wipes, but I'd not want to use them as they might wreck the plastic.

It would be really cool if they're OK. They could be really handy as I have stinky pants washing every day.

Please tell me I'm wrong, crazy, and nuts.

18 hours ago, ppdude said:

What kind of wipe? I have Clorox wipes, but I'd not want to use them as they might wreck the plastic.

It would be really cool if they're OK. They could be really handy as I have stinky pants washing every day.

Please tell me I'm wrong, crazy, and nuts.

I've been using Clorox wipes for at least four years and it does not damage the vinyl Any brand--even store brands--should do the job. Pure bleach will damage the pants, but the wipes should be safe. the pants I have are made of PUL (polyurethane laminate). I'm not sure what yours are made out of, but that is the most common material. Personally, I'd say that the pee that hits the vinyl is more caustic than a disinfectant wipe.

• Thanks 1

If I remember from my childhood and what cousins did with their kids, plastic pants were worn for one day and changed either before bed or the next morning, depending on their condition (soiled or just wet).  The idea was to pull down the pants and plastic pants around the child's ankles while changing out the cloth diaper.  Then pull the same pair of plastic pants up over the fresh cloth diaper when done.  Naturally, I tend to remember this more when there was a family gathering at a relative's house so I can't 100% say that at home they regularly changed out the plastic pants every time they changed the diaper, but that was always my understanding.  From my own memory around age three, I don't remember the plastic pants being removed and changed when my mom changed my own diaper throughout the day.  Use the same pair for one day, then start with a fresh pair the next day.

3 hours ago, rusty pins said:

If I remember from my childhood and what cousins did with their kids, plastic pants were worn for one day and changed either before bed or the next morning, depending on their condition (soiled or just wet).  The idea was to pull down the pants and plastic pants around the child's ankles while changing out the cloth diaper.  Then pull the same pair of plastic pants up over the fresh cloth diaper when done.  Naturally, I tend to remember this more when there was a family gathering at a relative's house so I can't 100% say that at home they regularly changed out the plastic pants every time they changed the diaper, but that was always my understanding.  From my own memory around age three, I don't remember the plastic pants being removed and changed when my mom changed my own diaper throughout the day.  Use the same pair for one day, then start with a fresh pair the next day.

Huh. You learn something new every day. That opens a whole new way to keep them clean! Thanks for that.

I don't often wear cloth diapers but I will wear plastic pants over a disposable, particularly a disposable I don't trust. I generally rinse out the pants with hot water and hang them to dry when I change my diaper, on the theory that I'm less likely to end up with diaper rash from damp elastics being constantly in contact with my skin. 

I don't understand it.

I wear plastics over both disposables and cloth.

Last night my disposable wasn't even close to full, Nor did it leak. But the plastics smelled like pee was hitting it all night long. Huh? What the heck?

So, I took Baby June's advice and wiped the insides down with a Clorox wipe. It killed the smell and cleaned them up nicely. Seems that it didn't hurt the PVC as they are still soft and feel the same. Kept me from having to pull out yet another pair. It seems to have worked quite well so far. That makes me happy.

Thanks Baby June!

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Since this is what I am in

The snap-on gets changed with the diaper. The rest are just put on. The rubbero one is not changed and coloerd one is part of my babydoll. The snp-on gets washed when I bathe between changed. I ony start to smell avter about 8 or 9 hours, but the diaper is hardly wet so why change it if you can get much more time out of it? Which was done with babies or heavily diapered littles anyway in many cases

When rubber panties were the going thing, I have never seen them changed with thediaper, they were pulled down, the diaper changed and then just pulled back unless the little one3 was only in diapers sometimes, like at night but not during the day

If my Pp's are only damp or very lightly wet ,I keep rocking them , if I flood then they are changed and rinsed and hung to dry , mine are custom made with extra wide wrapped elastic so they don't dig in or get wet and stink ,I have my aide take very good care of them , worn ones get rinsed and dried every evening or when changed , always by hand never in washer .

I wear rubber bloomers to sleep in and they get the same kind of treatment (theoreticaly you can "beat" on rubber ,however to keep it simple for my aides ,and so shortcuts aren't taken( I use Pp's,vinyl, rubber, PUL they each are better then the other under different circumstances ) or how to treat X ,is confused.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

When I am covering gauze diapers with vinyl panties I always put on a clean, dry one. Up to bedtime I immediately wash the removed vinyl panty in luke-warm water with a couple of drops of dishwashing detergent. However, when I change my diaper after bedtime I defer washing the vinyl panties until after I get up in the morning. The same is true when I change my loving husband's diaper or when he changes me. We both find that washing panties delays getting back to sleep.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Angela Bauer said:

When I am covering gauze diapers with vinyl panties I always put on a clean, dry one. Up to bedtime I immediately wash the removed vinyl panty in luke-warm water with a couple of drops of dishwashing detergent.

And here we find yet another creative use for Dawn. Inspiring!

1 hour ago, ppdude said:

And here we find yet another creative use for Dawn. Inspiring!

Actually, my family has used Palmolive as long as I can remember. I think Dawn came along later. I'm sure it would work just as well. The thing is to use just a drop or two. The idea is to remove the least oil from the vinyl. My kid sister Missy only uses detergent every other washing for this reason. What is important is removing all the urine, which does not need much detergent.

We had the topic of cleaning rubber panties sometime back and dish detergent was recommended against, although I do not see any harm in uasing a very mild solution. Here is my blog on using Poalmolive Pure + Free (clear, unscented) for ABLG clealning, grooming etc. I guess you could use it to clean rubber panties as well. It is what I use for a bubble bath. With tha addition of Drft Blissfuls it has that baby/little girl smell that you will just love burstingly

On 9/17/2019 at 12:20 PM, le Hollandais said:

I wash mine out at the end of a day with mild hand soap, rinse, and hang up to air dry. Then I put on on a second pair for over night/next day. 

Here's a bad assumption: The second pair is one size bigger than the first pair.

I took a few plastic hangers ande cut one end off each. that left them open at that end. That we, I can hang them upsice down by holding them upside down by putting them though the opening so that the bottom runs through the leg openings. This lets them dry much better or just unsnap them and put them over the bottom3dry panty.jpg

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Little Christine said:

I took a few plastic hangers ande cut one end off each. that left them open at that end. That we, I can hang them upsice down by holding them upside down by putting them though the opening so that the bottom runs through the leg openings. This lets them dry much better

Another fantastic idea! I hope it never ends...

I use a wire hanger that's been modified in exactly that way so I can hang the panties upside down. I give them a shake first, and make sure that there aren't any places that'll trap water. I hang it from the shower caddy in the shower I'm not using so that the drips will happen in the bathtub.

As far as how often I wash my plastic panties, since I wear them next to my skin it's easiest just to wear the ones I've slept in into the shower. After I've washed the rest of me I take them off, hold them upside down directly in the shower spray to make sure that the elastics get a good rinse. Then I transfer them to the wire hanger in the other shower as soon as I've dried off.

Depending on when I take my shower - which can be as late as 1 or 2pm - the pants may not be dry the next morning, so I have a jury-rig solution. In that case there are usually just a few drops of water left, and I have a yardstick that has one end under some clothes on the top shelf of the closet and the other end extending out over the clothes hamper that can be used for final drying.