LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Covidien diapers? Quality problems?

DL-Boy

Has anyone else who has used or currently uses Covidien diapers, noticed some serious quality issues with the product?

I bought some Covidien Wings Super Quilted Adult briefs (catalog# 87084) a couple of weeks ago and have gone through several of an 18 count package.  So far my experience with these have been that there are no leak guards, just leg gathers so they tend to leak around the leg.  The Supers are "MAX Absorbency" but not "OVERNIGHT" so they don't hold enough for me.  The padding is all cellulose fluff and it's not firmly attached to the backing so it migrates when it gets wet.  One diaper had a flaw with the inner lining where it opened up and spilled wet cellulose fiber everywhere when I removed it.

Next I bought some Covidien Wings OVERNIGHT Quilted Adult briefs (catalog 67034) and tried the first one last night before bed.  I was shocked when at the beginning of my first void, I felt water dripping, looked down and saw pee beading up and pouring from a one-inch diameter spot on the front of the diaper.  The fabric-like cover was intact but it was leaking!  I didn't notice leaks from anywhere else, so I threw on a diaper cover with two microfiber inserts and went to bed.  By 4 am I was doing the back-stroke!  I changed into the second Covidien overnight this morning and put on thin snap diaper cover and after about 1.5 hours I found it leaking around the legs.  I can't be sure if the fabric leaked but the entire diaper cover was saturated on the inside and the outer cover of the diaper was wet.

Two overnight diapers in a row with a severe FAIL.  I am now wearing a cheap (sm/med size) Assurance stretch brief that DOES have leak guards.  I have had much better results and security with Assurance than with the Covidiens.  I have stopped using the Covidien overnights after 2 of 18 seemed to fail badly.  I've got an email in to the seller explaining about the leakage of the cloth-like covering and hope that they will take back the remainder in exchange for a different brand.

Since the "Wings Supers" are about half gone, there's no chance of refund on them, but other than the lack of absorbency, loose padding, no leak guards and one diaper that the inner lining broke loose and spilled the wet fluff, at least I haven't had any LEAK-THROUGH FABRIC issues on them.  [EDIT:  YET!]

I have bought Wings diapers at the Goodwill several times.  Not sure if they are what you are talking about made by Covidien, but the name of the diaper is Wings.  They are very near the bottom of my list as far as diapers go.  When I buy them for around $3 a package at Goodwill, it's knowing they might hold up for 2 hours at best before leaking or getting saturated.  I try and avoid them, even at that price.

Man oh man. Kendall used to be a pretty good brand. Isn't that always what eventually happens? "They" turn a good product into complete crap. I hate cheap ass bean counters, accountants and tax people (unless you are one).

16 hours ago, ppdude said:

Man oh man. Kendall used to be a pretty good brand. Isn't that always what eventually happens? "They" turn a good product into complete crap. I hate cheap ass bean counters, accountants and tax people (unless you are one).

I was wearing Kendall briefs back when all the market was rectangular fan-folded single tape varieties (like the original pampers).

5 hours ago, willnotwill said:

I was wearing Kendall briefs back when all the market was rectangular fan-folded single tape varieties (like the original pampers).

Rectangle fanfold single-tape Pampers? I thought they were always the way they are now! When was that? I wore Kendall's in the mid 1980's.

I seem to remember when Pampers first became readily available.  Yes, they were rectangular fan - folded but I remember the very early ones didn't have tapes.  I remember you had to use diaper pins just like cloth diapers.  It wasn't long after that they added the tapes.  Please, anyone correct me if I'm wrong, or collaborate me if you also remember Pampers having to be pinned on with diaper pins.  This would have been the late 1960's if I remember correctly.

Indeed. Pampers were straight folded things until the seventies when they started to get elasticized leg holes and the hour glass shape now common didn't come until 1976 in Luvs and a little later in Pampers.

Most adult diapers were the same rectangular things until Attends came out around 1980 in the hourglass shape as well.

I believe rusty is right, the original ones didn't have tapes before 1970 or so.  Even thought they had waterproof backings, my mom put plastic pants over my brothers (he was born in 1967).

The early pampers also had a flushable inner liner that you could use to shuck the poo into the toilet.

Can't speak for the tape-less Pampers, but they were wing-fold up until the '80s.  At some point (late 70s/early 80s), they added elastic at the sides to help reduce leaks around the legs, but that was short-lived.  The hour-glass shape soon followed.   As mentioned in another thread - I loved those wing-folds - took 3 of them and taped them together so I could actually tape it up around my waist.  And, as long as I didn't "mess" in it, I could just untape the front one and tape a new one in its place.

I think Kimbies (early 1970's before Huggies and LUVS) were the first to have an hour glass shape, however they were not elastic or contoured diapers.  You opened the box on the front, not the top, and inside all the diapers were layered in a triangle shape.  There were pleats around the crotch of the diaper that made it hour glass shaped.  I was well out of diapers when they came out but I used a few in my underpants for fun.  Man, they were the most absorbent diaper on the market!  Unfortunately, their absorbency wasn't enough to overcome the marketing and popularity of Pampers and they weren't around very long. 

Baby-shaped Kimbies was the tag line.   I remember it well.   Those came out after I became "diaper aware" and boy did I get nervous watching those commercials (like they were going to tell I was a DL from watching me watch diaper commercials).

There was a kimbies commercial where the guy filled up a diaper with fluid and then shook it at a bystander...     There are some Spanish versions around on YouTube but I saw a very poor copy of an English version as well..   Obviously from the name, Kimbies are a product of Kimberly-Clark and were replaced by their Huggies brand.

38 minutes ago, willnotwill said:

Baby-shaped Kimbies was the tag line.   I remember it well.   Those came out after I became "diaper aware" and boy did I get nervous watching those commercials (like they were going to tell I was a DL from watching me watch diaper commercials).

In the early seventies I was a mere teenager who had no awareness of anything disposables. I was dialed into rubber pants and completely enamored by them. I couldn't get enough (such a horny dog back then). It wasn't until the mid 80's that I became diaper aware. Bought them on a whim. They had a "wetness indicator" on them (Attends) and shocked when it turned blue even thought I didn't think I'd wet them. Turned out it was the beginning of my diaper journey though it was an on/off thing. The urologist called it a fluke and the rest is history.

On 9/15/2019 at 8:27 PM, Comfortably diapered said:

If you need cheap I can recommend Medline fitright but your better off getting something more of a better quality and absorbancy. You get what you pay for in quality of incontinence products.

Personal experience with Fitright.  They suck. Short- like bikini fit, sides stretch a lot while wearing and tabs don't hold . Cloth exterior means leaking. . I gave them a bad rating on Amazon. 

Well after wasting my money on a bag of Covidien Wings Supers and a bag of Covidien Wings Overnights (leaky fabric cover), and since I had some success with the Abena Abri-Form plastic backed L4 briefs, other than having to get the tapes just right on the first couple of tries, I just sprang for a case (yes, a CASE) of Abri-Form XL4 Premiums.  The The XL4's will give me a little more flexibility in tab placement on the front than the L4's and they have hook tabs instead of tapes.

They won't be quite as crinkly as the plastic backed ones but the plastic was so soft there wasn't much crinkle anyway.  At least my legs won't get irritated from friction with the plastic all night long.

The best price I found was on Amazon Prime for 69.76 minus an Amazon discount of 4.96 (total $64.80) for a case of 48 diapers.  

If you need a cloth backed diaper, try North Shores Air Supreme.    These are far superior than anything the mainstream health provider lines carry.

As for historical years, I was a cloth diaper/plastic pants guy.   Partially because this was all that was out there and partially it's what I identified with from my youth.    When I first saw "disposable incontinence pants" in a Sears Catalog around 1978 and realized they were diapers I was determined to get some.   It blew me away when I was standing in line at the lunch counter at the JHU hospital (it was a combination deli and pharmacy) and saw they were stocking them.   I had to get some.    I went around searching for various of these early fan fold types until about 1981 when Attends came out.    Still it was not the Pampers I remembered my brother in, so I stuck it out with the fan folds (Curity mostly) until they stopped really distributing them around 1983 or so.

I just stopped at the local Goodwill store yesterday.  I bought a package of Attends 4 tape plastic backed diapers, 20 to the package for less than $4.  I also noticed 3 packages of Wings disposable diapers for the same price and sure enough, the manufacturer printed on the package is Covidian.  Took a pass on them.

On 9/17/2019 at 11:38 PM, DL-Boy said:

...Abri-Form XL4 Premiums.  The The XL4's will give me a little more flexibility in tab placement on the front than the L4's and they have hook tabs instead of tapes.

Update: Much to my surprise, the Abena Abri-form Premiums don't have exclusively "HOOK" style tabs but rather they have hybrid adhesive tapes with a small hook section between the diaper-side and the tape adhesive.  They still employ the two-tape system but just before the adhesive part of the tab there's a small hook section that helps to grab the fabric-type backing.  The tape sticks fairly well to the backing although not as firmly as they did to the plastic backing.