LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

How bad is your pee diaper stink?

ppdude

I agree, the more water, or liquids you drink the lighter the smell, and I do also think what you eat can have some effect on smell, not really sure about it. But if you take meds they can also have effect , as well as being diabetic . If your diabetic and don't drink a lot of water it smells really bad. My wife is and I have to keep on her about water.

• Like 1

What kind are you talking about?? cloth diapers or disposable?

I've found that if I only use soap when washing my cloth diapers, they start to smell really bad when I wet them... kinda like you mention. It's like washing them on HOT WATER, with soap, then drying them on HOT, doesn't get them clean enough. However, if I add a little bleach, like a half cup in a full load, it kills the germs, bacteria, etc,  and my diapers don't start to reek as soon as I wet. Using just that small amount of bleach hasn't seemed to damage my diapers so far.

• Like 1
I've found that if I only use soap when washing my cloth diapers, they start to smell really bad when I wet them... kinda like you mention. It's like washing them on HOT WATER, with soap, then drying them on HOT, doesn't get them clean enough. However, if I add a little bleach, like a half cup in a full load, it kills the germs, bacteria, etc,  and my diapers don't start to reek as soon as I wet. Using just that small amount of bleach hasn't seemed to damage my diapers so far.
You are murdering your diapers with bleach , to strip your diapers of diaper funk , use Vinegar then add baking soda in rinse to restore PH ,funk is gone ,repeat 1 per month for optimum results, bleach is prematurely wearing the fibers of diaper out , trust me my current diaper set has 12 years of daily wear ,none worn out yet .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Cruiser 03 said:

You are murdering your diapers with bleach , to strip your diapers of diaper funk , use Vinegar then add baking soda in rinse to restore PH ,funk is gone ,repeat 1 per month for optimum results, bleach is prematurely wearing the fibers of diaper out , trust me my current diaper set has 12 years of daily wear ,none worn out yet .

Cruiser,I have allways worn cloth diapers and I have ALLWAYS used bleach and it has not done ANYTHING to them.And I have been wearing cloth for three more years then you are old.I put one cup of bleach for 18 diapers.I do agree if you use to much bleach it will ruin them and that is cause I learned from using to  much.

7 hours ago, ppdude said:

My peed diaper stinks really bad. Like a rotten cabbage rolled in skunk. It's just disgusting. I wish it smelled more like good old-fashioned pee. Don't you?

If your issue is truly the pee that smells strong and not cloth diapers as some have suggested, make sure you drink at least two liters of liquid per day (half a gallon or eight 8 ounce glasses).  Also know that what you eat and drink can affect the smell of your pee.  Broccoli, asparagus, other vegetables and even some other foods can cause unusual odors in your pee as their chemical components are filtered out by the kidneys.  In fact, I find that for several hours after drinking my morning coffee, my pee smells just like a coffee shop.

If your issue is truly the pee that smells strong and not cloth diapers as some have suggested, make sure you drink at least two liters of liquid per day (half a gallon or eight 8 ounce glasses).  Also know that what you eat and drink can affect the smell of your pee.  Broccoli, asparagus, other vegetables and even some other foods can cause unusual odors in your pee as their chemical components are filtered out by the kidneys.  In fact, I find that for several hours after drinking my morning coffee, my pee smells just like a coffee shop.
I have had some exotic blonde half roast that was mind blowing but going full mellow yellow?

Diapers can stink from time to time, I feel the best answers as to why they can stink are already given. Throughout the day I’ll take in enough fluids to be safe as it comes to developing bad odors. I counteract any stink by taking in even more fluids if I ate spicy food or when it gets really hot outside. I do not take any meds so I have no idea how they can influence the smell of your diaper but I can imagine they can and do. I would hate it if people around me would smell my wet diaper, so at the first hint of a smelly diaper I’ll change it, whether it is properly used or not. If people notice my diaper it is one thing and I doubt I’d really mind. If they smell it and therefor notice it, it is a different story for me it is more related to lack of personal hygiene.

For cloth diapers, there seems to be some kind of residue build-up.  I've been able to recover them with a 5 minute boil.  It's a bit medieval but doesn't seem to hurt the cloth and it DOES seem to work.  Disclaimer:  I can't be held responsible for any marital break-ups caused by boiling diapers in the kitchen.

I soak my cloth diapers in store-brand non-chlorine bleach and wash them in Purex laundry soap. I've never had an odor problem after washing, and really don't smell the wet diaper when I'm wearing it. PUL pants seem to contain any odor (except poop). I guess it all depends on the individual person how much pee smells.

I only get a whiff of baby powder from time to time when I'm walking around in my diaper.  If its wet I don't smell anything at all until I take it off.  I do tend to take in a lot of fluids during the day so any pee that I do produce is diluted quite a bit.

Now if I eat asparagus then all bets are off.  That stuff makes my pee smell quite terrible.....

14 hours ago, waynecook52 said:

Cruiser,I have allways worn cloth diapers and I have ALLWAYS used bleach and it has not done ANYTHING to them.And I have been wearing cloth for three more years then you are old.I put one cup of bleach for 18 diapers.I do agree if you use to much bleach it will ruin them and that is cause I learned from using to  much.

1 hour ago, ppdude said:

I'm not looking for a solution for the smell. Just want to know how bad it stinks, if at all.

Never thought about meds stinking things up. That's a good point though.

You know, that's something we're always told -- not to use bleach. When my kids were babies, we put them in cloth because it was the cheapest option at the time. I don't think there was a time we did use bleach despite the washing instructions. We had advice from everyone on this and the majority used bleach. Plastic panties were washed in hot water with hot rinse cycle. The only thing we didn't do was to throw them in the drier. Given that, I'm more inclined to use bleach with my cloth diapers but that's about all. I still am not sure why one should or should not use it. I guess it comes down to personal preference.

On 8/31/2019 at 8:51 PM, Diapered Dave said:

I use vinegar in my cloth diapers wash load.. I soak first in hot water and vinegar, then wash with laundry detergent and sometimes more vinegar. Sometimes baking soda too. I never have that ammonia odor while wearing. 

After I rinse my diapers I’ll soak them in soda to keep them from staining and smelling. After the soak I’ll simply wash my cloth diapers with a good detergent and I’ll add some soda in the washing machine.  

My wet diaper does not smell when I am wearing and wetting.  When I change the wet diaper the odor is very mild.  In public, however, I take precautions just in case by using 2 drops of scented oil.  I have lavender, eucalyptus, vanilla, bay rum, and of course my favorite is baby powder scent.  These are very concentrated and only 2 drops are needed, or the scent can be overwhelming.  I have actually had coworkers tell me how nice I smell; little did they know how wet I was.

Only my late partner enjoyed morning diapers, his day wasn't complete without burying his nose in my crotch,first thing .

As a cloth wearer ain't deodorants or odor blocking fun stuff in my morning diaper, just me and funky .

17 hours ago, diaperguy85 said:

mine stink after they've been used and sitting around for a few days before i toss them.

For a long time, my pee didn't stink. And it surprised me when I emptied out the diaper pail once a week and it had a really "sour" smell. I'd wash out the pail and it would be good for the rest of the week. Now I throw the disposables in the kitchen trash and they stink up the whole area. Sometimes I'll wrap them in a plastic grocery bag first. I'm debating if that helps. I don't think it helps at all really.

2 hours ago, ppdude said:

For a long time, my pee didn't stink. And it surprised me when I emptied out the diaper pail once a week and it had a really "sour" smell. I'd wash out the pail and it would be good for the rest of the week. Now I throw the disposables in the kitchen trash and they stink up the whole area. Sometimes I'll wrap them in a plastic grocery bag first. I'm debating if that helps. I don't think it helps at all really.

it was mentioned on here before, but scented trash bags do work wonders. i prefer the draw-string variety for ease of tie-up. i technically have three sizes. the smallest, 5 gallon i think, perhaps smaller, for individual or a couple of diapers, 8 gallons for multiple diapers and 5 gallon bags, and the 13 gallon (blackout, so no one can see the contents) size is for the kitchen trash can and to the curb. sometimes i even put that bag into a standard big black hefty trash bag, depending how heavy the other bags are or how many diapers i'm putting in there. 

related tangent: one thing i've found out over my experiences, buy quality trash bags! hefty is my preferred brand. i've tried store brands, off brands, bargain brands, and they tear, rip, come apart, leak, and are generally more of a pain in the butt than they are worth in the $1.49 you saved. one time i was taking out the kitchen trash, and the top of the off brand bag ripped off, luckily still in the can. so i put everything into another bag.... which also ripped. tried once more to get everything in another bag and that one ripped too! finally i just put everything in a big black bag, including the rest of the bags and never looked back!

I'm taking the advice; though I'm already doing some of it: drinking more water based fluids (not soda pop, coffee, etc). Been using the scented trash bags for at least a decade. Getting smaller bags for a couple of  diapers is a great idea to which I intend to do.