LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Northshore Megamax brief

iampadded

I  tried a Northshore Megamx brief for the first time last night.  When you wet it it gets very warm.  I think whatever chemical they use for the material that creates the absorption creates a lot of heat.  Does anyone know anything about this?

Haven't really experienced anything like that. A lot of us think we're hot sh^^, but it's ust hot piss. For me, it gets real weird as I'll often feel a cool, blooming patch when the ambient temperature is cool. Were you awake or did the feeling wake you? How much did you dump? Any other stuff in the diaper?

1 hour ago, ppdude said:

Haven't really experienced anything like that. A lot of us think we're hot sh^^, but it's just hot piss.......

100% hot sh^^ here. ?

• 2 months later...

The chemical normally used to absorb liquid in diapers, often referred to as Superabsorbent Polymer (SAP) is usually sodium polyacrylate. Whilst it does expand in size substantially when exposed to water, it does so by osmosis, rather than a chemical reaction, so isn't exothermic.

Sodium polyacrylate is a cross-linked (network) polymer that contains sodium atoms. When the (sodium-containing) polymer is placed in contact with water, there is a tendency for the sodium to distribute equally between the network and the water.

That means, some of the sodium atoms want to leave the network and move to the water. When these sodium atoms leave, they are replaced with water molecules. Water swells the polymer network to try to keep the sodium concentration balanced between the polymer and the water.

This is the reason diapers also contain some paper pulp based absorbency as well, to handle this excess.

The cross-links that connect the chains together prevent them from dissolving/breaking apart in the water. The resulting product is a Gel like substance, however is chemically unaltered, being a suspension of water and the polymer.

I don't know enough about the chemical composition of urine to tell you whether there could be another reaction occurring, but more than likely, it's just the pleasant sensation of peeing in your diaper. It's nothing dangerous, just the liquid leaving your body at around 37c and coming in contact with your skin briefly. On it's own it will cool within the polymer matrix at roughly the same speed as if it were in a glass, however being close to your body (also a source of heat) it will likely take longer. Perhaps they just hold it closer to your skin than other diapers.

I've worn them almost 24/7 since virtually the day they came out, and had no trouble with skin irritation or other issues. Just a LOT less leaks at night, and larger capacity than any other diaper i've tried.

Definitely my favorite. Despite the exorbitant cost of getting them to Australia (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

I've noticed a similar phenomena with the "BetterDry".

In more detail than I could, @Idzyhas pointed out that there isn't any obvious chemical heat source in dampening a disposable diaper.  All i can see is endothermic (heat absorbing, aka "cool" stuff) through evaporation and maybe heat radiation (assuming it's colder outside your diaper than in which mercifully for most of us for most of the time, it is).

In my case, I suspect it's just thick padding due to all that SAP and pulp in premium diapers.  They swell when wet and remain reasonably tight against your skin providing an insulating layer and impeding evaporation from your skin surface.  So, they feel warm in the way a coat feels warm, they are not really warm at all but more slowing your skin surface from cooling.

On 10/24/2019 at 7:08 PM, oznl said:

I've noticed a similar phenomena with the "BetterDry".

In more detail than I could, @Idzyhas pointed out that there isn't any obvious chemical heat source in dampening a disposable diaper.  All i can see is endothermic (heat absorbing, aka "cool" stuff) through evaporation and maybe heat radiation (assuming it's colder outside your diaper than in which mercifully for most of us for most of the time, it is).

In my case, I suspect it's just thick padding due to all that SAP and pulp in premium diapers.  They swell when wet and remain reasonably tight against your skin providing an insulating layer and impeding evaporation from your skin surface.  So, they feel warm in the way a coat feels warm, they are not really warm at all but more slowing your skin surface from cooling.

@oznl does a much better job of explaining it intuitively than I do. 1. There is no chemical reaction which could produce heat. 2. Keeping it close to your body will enhance the sensation of warmness, however never hotter than the point where it it was expelled from your body. I'd imagine that this is what most people (myself included) would want. I don't know whether the statement "chill out" is appropriate, but don't worry. It's perfectly safe, and been looked at by lots of highly skilled and well qualified scientists (even if it's made in China) to ensure it's safe. The team at North Shore aren't silly, and would never expose anyone to something dangerous.

Just enjoy the warm feeling without worry, and relish a good night's sleep in warm nappies / diapers.

On 10/27/2019 at 6:19 AM, Idzy said:

@oznl does a much better job of explaining it intuitively than I do. 1. There is no chemical reaction which could produce heat. 2. Keeping it close to your body will enhance the sensation of warmness, however never hotter than the point where it it was expelled from your body. I'd imagine that this is what most people (myself included) would want. I don't know whether the statement "chill out" is appropriate, but don't worry. It's perfectly safe, and been looked at by lots of highly skilled and well qualified scientists (even if it's made in China) to ensure it's safe. The team at North Shore aren't silly, and would never expose anyone to something dangerous.

Just enjoy the warm feeling without worry, and relish a good night's sleep in warm nappies / diapers.

I was not concerned about safety, just surprised by the heat as I have been in night diapers pretty much my entire life and never experienced anything quite like this.

Personally, I find the extra warmth of premium diapers like the MegaMax to be quite pleasurable and comfortable at night, and pretty much put it down to what @oznl said, that the extra SAP and pulp hold it closer to your body as they swell.

Is it something you find uncomfortable? or were just curious about? It still cools down fast enough, so I say enjoy it while it lasts and try to fall asleep before it gets cold ;)