LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

premium vs cheap diaper

So for the last 8+ years i have only been wearing premium diapers. The wife wants me to hold off on ordering more diapers for a few weeks. I have been use to Better dry, NorthShore thick ones. she was going threw the closet and finds a pack of depends with tape tabs. omg it feels like i am not wearing anything. i find my self changing more often i don't want a leak.

i wonder how many others only wear premium diapers vs how many use and like the cheaper ones.

Like most of us I started out with Depends and then upgraded to Attends but back then they were all I personally could find. Then came the internet and low and behold there were actually sites that you could buy adult baby type diapers! I can't remember the last time I bought the cheap ones. I think I've tried almost every premium diaper on the market and it is wonderful. Hopefully I'll never have to go back to the cheap ones. 

I have found that while yes it’s easier to come up with the money for cheaper diapers in the end they end up costing me more money than premium diapers as I need to change more often.

• Like 1

I guess it depends (pun intended) on what a person wants out of a diaper.  For me, there are times I'll wear the best diaper available, and there are times I'll wear a cheaper diaper.

Some people want a diaper that can hold back Niagara Falls.  Others want a diaper that looks like what they wore as a child.  Others just want some form of protection, and use restrooms whenever possible.

Technically, the disposable diapers that were around when I was a child were the flat-fold Pampers with no elastic leggings.  There are currently adult versions of these, but they hold very little.  But when I want the look of a diaper more than I want the absorbency of a diaper, I'll wear one.  

When I'm at home I generally want top-tier ABDL diapers.  If I am only going to wear a diaper for a few hours, then I'll wear a lower absorbency one - no sense wasting a Safari or a Galactic for just a few hours of wearing.  On the occasions I go out in public wearing a diaper, I tend to wear a thinner diaper that has decent absorbency, but I'll also still use the restroom in order to not overtax the diaper.

1 hour ago, Newbee said:

I have found that while yes it’s easier to come up with the money for cheaper diapers in the end they end up costing me more money than premium diapers as I need to change more often.

Very astute observation.  :rolleyes:

Everyone is different as far as their diapers and how they wear them.  For someone incontinent and 24/7 I can see a mixture of good premium diapers, Betterdry or Megamax for home and at night, and maybe a thinner premium diaper for when at work or out among people - something that still absorbs well but is a little less bulky and more discreet.

I am a DL who usually wears 2 mornings a week for maybe 3 hours.  A few times a year I will go out of town for the day shopping.  A premium diaper would be a big waste of money to wear for only 3 hours and then take it off.  That is one reason I get most of my diapers at Goodwill or thrift stores.  I usually pay $3 to $4 for a package of Attends, Prevail or other store type non premium diapers.  They are discreet enough so I can wear under my jeans if I'm in one and have to make a quick trip to the store for something.  I'm also not one who likes really bulky diapers between my legs so these work out well.  I do have premium diapers for those out of town trips to do my Christmas shopping.  I do like the fact that I don't have to stop at the local CVS restroom after 3 or 4 hours to change into dry diapers but yes, I am bulky.  I can easily get 9 hours or more out of a Betterdry diaper when out shopping and no more need to wear plastic pants.  Therefor for my own diaper use, cheap store brands from Goodwill are normal usage for me with the exception of out of town all day wear.  Then it's a premium diaper.

3 hours ago, rusty pins said:

I am a DL who usually wears 2 mornings a week for maybe 3 hours.  ...  That is one reason I get most of my diapers at Goodwill or thrift stores.  I usually pay $3 to $4 for a package of Attends, Prevail or other store type non premium diapers.  They are discreet enough so I can wear under my jeans if I'm in one and have to make a quick trip to the store for something. 

Sounds like a good strategy to me, and practical, too.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to go back to cheap diapers after trying premium. I usually had to double or even triple up on the cheap ones to come even close to the protection of the premium ones. Course, I wear for fun and not need, so I suppose it would be different if you actually had to budget diapers.

It’s not just volume. The premiums are more comfortable: softer, fit better, more breathable.

I’m lucky that I’m able to afford whatever diapers I want, and I want Abena.

I have some Tranquilty ATN though if I have a choice I will wear the premiums.  If I am wearing a cheaper brand I feel like I am naked with the diaper on as it does nothing for me.  But a Premium diaper I feel the bulk I feel the softness.

I feel much better. So if I can affod the premium diapers I will buy them.

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, Mindylou said:

I have found a mid-priced premium diaper in the Abena Abriform.. not as expensive as Megamax but just as absorbent and plastic back. 

Yep, I just got two bags of L4 for $17.28 each on Amazon.  The plastic ones are "Abri-Form Comfort"  The fabric backed ones are "Abri-Form Premium".  I bought the "Comfort" plastic ones for $17 per bag and I still have about 10 of the cloth-backed Abri-Form that are sitting unused as I have these now.

I had to buy some retail brand diapers on the way home from Disney World as I miss calculated the number of Betterdry diapers I would need I real do not want to ever have to use what major retailers sell as high capacity diapers. The diapers were so thin and not very absorbent and leaked more times then not. 

I guess for lite incontinence needs they would be fine but having to stop every hour or two to change on the drive home was just to much of a pain and the stress level of feeling like I was about to leak at any moment was not worth the stress. 

I would rather skimp on something else then a diaper I can trust, I could not change into a premium diaper fast enough when we got home. 

3 hours ago, Rob110 said:

I had to buy some retail brand diapers on the way home from Disney World as I miss calculated the number of Betterdry diapers I would need I real do not want to ever have to use what major retailers sell as high capacity diapers. The diapers were so thin and not very absorbent and leaked more times then not. 

I guess for lite incontinence needs they would be fine but having to stop every hour or two to change on the drive home was just to much of a pain and the stress level of feeling like I was about to leak at any moment was not worth the stress. 

I would rather skimp on something else then a diaper I can trust, I could not change into a premium diaper fast enough when we got home. 

should have gotten some Always pullups to use inside them - works for me. Attends waistband and Always

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/7/2019 at 1:54 PM, technomonkey said:

So for the last 8+ years i have only been wearing premium diapers. The wife wants me to hold off on ordering more diapers for a few weeks. I have been use to Better dry, NorthShore thick ones. she was going threw the closet and finds a pack of depends with tape tabs. omg it feels like i am not wearing anything. i find my self changing more often i don't want a leak.

i wonder how many others only wear premium diapers vs how many use and like the cheaper ones.

You sound just like me, I wear either Dry 24/7 or cloth with plastic pants.  A couple of time I went back to the new Attends and they feel like I am wearing nothing and tend to change 8+ times a day vs 4 or 5 

I have found the difference between cheap diapers and premium diapers is the same as day and night. Cheap diapers have no capacity to hold anything over a minor leak and definitely cannot contain any type of bowel accident. For this specific reason, I only use high quality premium diapers as i am both bladder and bowel incontinent and rely on my diapers to keep my accidents completely contained in the diaper. It is embarrassing enough to have an accident in public and nobody knows you just wet yourself, but when I poop my diaper in public, it is really evident that someone had an accident in their pants. I am really happy to have a premium diaper to contain all of my accidents.

It seems that people become comfortable with their choice of diapers and tend to continue their use.  I hear so many singing the praises of their premium diapers and still seem to make many changes per day.  At $2+ per diaper that adds up to many $$ per week.

I have been wearing and using diapers for well over 50 years.  I have been 24/7 for the past 7 years and have used Tranquility ATNs, with a baby diaper stuffer, exclusively for the last 20 years, I can count on one hand the number of times I have had a noticeable leak while wearing in public.  I also have OAB and UI and pee 20 - 30 times a day.  If I have any overflow it is caught in my plastic pants.  My cost per week for 24/7 diapers is roughly $15.

I can easily afford to spend more per diaper just as I can easily afford to drive a Mercedes or own a 72" TV or live in a half million dollar house, but why?  I learned a long time ago not to allow my expenses to rise to meet my income.  I am not going to "piss away" the money needed to wear a premium diaper.

Years ago I had a high school senior working for me who said he wished he had everything that I had.  I told the young man to live another 40 years and maybe he would.

1 hour ago, dlinmsp said:

I have been wearing and using diapers for well over 50 years.  I have been 24/7 for the past 7 years and have used Tranquility ATNs, with a baby diaper stuffer, exclusively for the last 20 years, I can count on one hand the number of times I have had a noticeable leak while wearing in public.  I also have OAB and UI and pee 20 - 30 times a day.  If I have any overflow it is caught in my plastic pants.  My cost per week for 24/7 diapers is roughly $15.

I had some disappointing results with Tranquility ATNs overnight (you'd think that "All Through the Night" means overnight dryness).  I flooded my bed pad on a couple of occasions when I wore them to bed instead of my go-to Abena L4 (either Comfort plastic or Premium fabric).  That being said, last night I wore an ATN with a sliced up #5 baby diaper stuffer to bed because I'd just had one small void in it - thinking "I wonder if I'll have a flood tonight".

Although I didn't void any further all night long, I recall waking about 6 am with a cramping bladder and released into the ATN+stuffer combination and it didn't leak out.  I then got up around 8 am to tend to my wife's car (mechanic was coming and I needed to check if battery was good enough to start the car).  I didn't change out of the overnight ATN+#5 until getting back home at about 11:15 am after a few small voids at Walmart waiting for the battery to be tested.

I'm wearing another ATN+#5 stuffer right now - It's fairly saturated but hasn't leaked yet.  Maybe that's the answer to getting the ATN to last...  Use the super absorbency of a baby diaper to boost it!  For the record, I bought a bag of 25 #5 store brand diapers for about $5.00, so at 20 cents each, that's quite a deal for boosters even if they require a bit of prep before use (i trim the side wings and elastic leg gathers off, then place numerous slices in the backing with a razorblade to allow liquid to flow through to the diaper.

6 hours ago, RVDL said:

You sound just like me, I wear either Dry 24/7 or cloth with plastic pants.  A couple of time I went back to the new Attends and they feel like I am wearing nothing and tend to change 8+ times a day vs 4 or 5 

When you say it like that..... I'd almost believe that is exactly what the manufacturers want!  Use more .... spend more $!

This is  a personal choice that we all make to accommodate our use of diapers. In my diapered life I have used cotton flannel diapers, which I doubled both for day and night use and plastic pants to help keep leaks at bay.  I switched from cloth diapers to Attends and Depends, (when they were new).  Attends were the best at the time and I bought dozens of cases of those over the years. The fit was great with the six tapes and held up until thoroughly soaked.

When P&G sold off Attends, I went back to flannel diapers and although they were super absorbent, the diaper pail and loads of laundry were becoming a pain. A friend told me to check out Dry 24/7’s.  That first order changed my life for the better and pleased my wife to no end. Gone was the smelly diaper pail and loads of diaper laundry.  These premium diapers gave me the absorbency of flannel, the thickness for a secure,, confident feel and a comfortable fit.  I pee throughout the day and night instead of one or two large voids. For the most part, two to three diapers per twenty-four hour period, with two being the norm is usual.

For me it’s a no-brainer.  I work a ten hour day and I can get by on one diaper all day until I get home. I have tried a microfiber towel folded length wise down the center of my diaper and works quite nicely for longer days. A onesie is mandatory with the added bulk though.

in closing, all I can say is use what works for you. We are all different as are our lives and careers.  What works for me may be out of the question for you. In any event, you owe it to yourself to at least order a sample of such a premium diaper just to see what I am talking about.