LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

What I (don't) like about my self induced incontinence

On 8/24/2019 at 2:45 PM, Bettypooh said:

I simply refuse to accept society's standards here on a personal level, but I do make concessions to society in how I deal with this when I'm out in the world. It works, I'm happy with it, and so is society.

I think a big advantage of society ranking incontinence as a disability is the fact that diapers are covered by health insurance.

Moreover without diapers or other collecting devices incontinence would make it almost impossible to lead a social life. So wouldn't you agree that the simple fact that we need diapers or other medical aids to deal with incontinence, makes it a disability in itself?

• 2 weeks later...

I can do anything anyone else can do except swim or wade deeply wearing my diapers, so I can't see how it's disabling. Incontinence could best be described as a medical condition which requires treatment I think. That would still leave diapers covered by insurers but free us from any social stigma or questions regards our ability or lack thereof. My ever-weakening back, carpal tunnel syndrome, and breathing issues are more disabling to me than my lack of bladder control.

Bettypooh

On 9/5/2019 at 5:03 AM, Bettypooh said:

I can do anything anyone else can do except swim or wade deeply wearing my diapers, so I can't see how it's disabling. Incontinence could best be described as a medical condition which requires treatment I think. That would still leave diapers covered by insurers but free us from any social stigma or questions regards our ability or lack thereof. My ever-weakening back, carpal tunnel syndrome, and breathing issues are more disabling to me than my lack of bladder control.

Bettypooh

Well said!  I've said for years that incontinence is a medical condition and diapers are either a treatment or an aid for helping deal with that medical condition so you can go about normal life.  No different than a vision impairment and glasses as treatment or an aid for the condition, loss of the use of your legs and a wheelchair as an aid, or reduced hearing and wearing a hearing aid.  Unfortunately, even though they are all considered medical conditions and treatments to live a normal life, people still accept people in a wheelchair, wearing glasses or a hearing aid with no thought, but the same just doesn't seem to apply if the person wears diapers to deal with their medical condition.. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/24/2019 at 4:16 PM, Constantlywet said:

I suppose obvious nappy leaks in public can be a bit of a pain. That and the smell. Although I don't mind the smell of a wet nappy, I don't always want work colleagues and customers smelling my wetness. I've found that when people do get a whiff, they look at my trousers and it's possible that allot of people put 2 and 2 together. Unfortunately, I have to time my changes as changing at work isn't the easiest so it's a fact of life that I do smell by the time I get chance to change. 

Same hee I know I often smell of pee before I change

• Like 1

Very interesting discussion!  I have been wearing diapers pretty consistently for the past few years, and don’t have many pairs of regular underwear left. 

I started stent play play at about this time last year, and cath play in the summer of 2018 and fell in love with the feeling of uncontrollable peeing.  I have spent many days and weeks completely incontinent.

My my life situation is -over 50, house, job with private bathrooms, and mostly housebound hobbies.  Cathdiap’s list was fun to read because it made me realize that I mostly don’t care.  I go almost everywhere diapered. The only times that I voluntarily did not was 1) a dinner out with a local club with all guys, and 2) some camping trips because changing diapers in a hammock is tricky and things get wet.

One limitation is going to a friends house which I did Friday night. Spent about 3 hours there and would have stayed longer but my pull-up was about to give up so I left. A heavier plastic diaper would have been better.  You can’t just leave a dirty pull up in your buddy’s trash, even if I had a spare- super rude. 

However I commute, go to work, do stuff, etc. diapered.  I have wet my pants many times, usually after getting engrossed in a project or something, set up and my chair is wet. I keep extra pants in my office for this.

if my work environment moved to an open office kind of thing I don’t know what I would do. Probably staydiapered but make other adjust,ents.  

• 2 years later...

@cathdiap

On 8/26/2019 at 8:18 AM, cathdiap said:

I think a big advantage of society ranking incontinence as a disability is the fact that diapers are covered by health insurance.

Moreover without diapers or other collecting devices incontinence would make it almost impossible to lead a social life. So wouldn't you agree that the simple fact that we need diapers or other medical aids to deal with incontinence, makes it a disability in itself?

I would agree 110% - now, if society itself would not think of people who are incontinent/wearing diapers as adults as something that is socially unacceptable, or think of people who wear diapers as "babies" or other terms, and accept that are are people who do wear, use and manage their diaper usage very well, that would be optimum.  There are people who wear for emotional/physiological/comfort reasons, and I believe that they would be considered to be disabled.  As such, Diapers are covered by insurance plans, and as such, incontinence is considered a disability - What I am trying to get at, is that incontinent people, or people who wear and use diapers for whatever reason should be respected and not chastised, as some day, some fool who does the chastising may end up in diapers for some reason someday, and they may regret doing it, and then UNDERSTAND a lot better WHY we do what we do, and WHAT being incontinent and disabled really means :)

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Not having voluntary control over the flow of urine from the bladder is a disability.

Being a bedwetter away from home, and leaving a stain on the sheet,  is distressing.

Having a leaking nappy anywhere in the day is easily coped with by wearing water-tight rubber pants that fit snugly round the thighs.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

(Sorry for the long post once again! >.< But..) Allow me a weird take on the topic of defining incontinence as a disability...

To me, a disability, handicap, medical condition, ect. (in the physical sense), is where your body is afflicted with something or perhaps damaged in a way that limits the natural functioning that your body would have had otherwise. Things like missing a limb, epilepsy, diabetes, paralysis, ect., are all things that impair people's ability just to live, and in that sense, 'needing diapers' does fall into that category.

However, our bodies are designed to eliminate our wastes. It's hard-wired function that you cannot escape. Everyone may be born with different features, but nobody on this planet is born with bladder control. Never has, never will be. 

It's like trying to surpress your breathing, or trying to stay awake forever. Sure, you can try to stop it or hold it in for as long as you can, but just like with your poop and pee, you'll eventually lose the battle. It's also been well documented that in all 3 aforementioned cases, that trying to hold in or stop these things in can actually seriously damage your body and be dangerous for your health, and like in the situation of the "Hold your wee for a Wii" contest, can literally kill you.

That's why coma patients who remain comatose for longer periods of time can develop incontinence, as they can't just stand up to go to the bathroom. That's why older folk become incontinent as they age, as the muscles they've been using to hold back all these years start to weaken. The body just takes over and functions normally in those areas again.

So I would say that if you have a medical impairment that prevents you from gaining continence, then that is what I would call a disability

But incontinence itself is really just a lack of skill. A lack of training, pun intended.

Think about it; bladder control is achieved through a process of dedicating your time to mastering an unfamiliar task. This may come with many failures along the way, and there are different levels of mastery to be achieved. The same thing could be said about walking, talking, learning math, riding a bicycle, playing a piano, ect. They all involve the same process, you gotta get good at anything, you gotta train.

Am I considered to be disabled if I don't know how to operate an Apache helicopter?

But, we live in a clean, puritanical society where we all have fancy carpets and luxury furniture and we wouldn't dare have anyone be pooping and peeing on our nice things, so you better relegate all stuff that to a specific room, gosh darnit. Parents are also financially responsible for their children up to a certian age, so eliminating diaper costs as soon as possible is in many people's financial interests. 

And speaking of training at a young age, the concensus seems to be that retraining (or training) when older (with no underlying medical conditions) is often a fruitless endeavor, but really I don't think that's the case, I think it's just rare to come across. I think we just forget how hard it was for us to achieve bladder control as we age. I don't know about you, but I barely have any memories of when I was that age. The ones I do related to toilet training were all pretty traumatic.

But then again, toilet training is almost pure trauma in a sense. Parents dress it up with charts and gold stars and insisting it's what "big people" do, but the underlying threat of an accident, the dissapointment of your parents for any failures, and the ridicule of your peers effect us all way more than we remember sometimes, especially because it's at an age where our brains haven't even fully developed yet, and 100% mastery if this skill is demanded of us as soon as possible.

Most people do get it right, but the ones that cannot do so as they get older (into their teens) often find out that there is a medical issue preventing them from doing so, so the idea of toilet training as an adult with no underlying conditions is pretty rare, and something that is probably mostly experienced by folk like us.

But is incontinence a disability? I think, in the sense that you now require absorbant underwear, then I still think it is, but there's an asterisk* here. Because, how does incontince really limit you in a purely physical sense? It may be an annoyance to deal with for certian activities, but there also times where wearing diapers could be an advantage. Diapers don't limit your movements in any major way (like paralysis would for example), and it is by no means a life-threatening condition. So, yes, but a minor disability, if that.

Like they say about all skills; "If you don't use it, you lose it."

• 2 weeks later...

I almost forgot I started this topic over three years ago. Reading it back I think all the things I listed in my first post still stand.  However my life has changed quite a bit so the way I am able to cope with all the downsides and limitations of incontinence has improved significantly.

First, I now have the whole house for myself. All my kids moved out and I have no partner, so there is no longer the ongoing stress of thinking about wearing and changing my diapers as discretely as possible, about hiding my diapers stash and about how to get rid of my diaper waste unnoticed. 

Next, given the age I am now, my interest in what other people might think when they notice I'm wearing a diaper has reached an all-time low. I will never become an exhibitionist, but I expect people to understand that it is very difficult to wear a diaper invisibly under pants.

Also, since the corona pandemic, I can work from home as much as I want. So that saves me a lot of energy and travel time that I can spend on relaxing activities to compensate for any remaining diaper stress. But to avoid becoming a complete recluse, and to experience some excitement of being incontinent and diapered in public as well, I recently decided to go back to the office a few days a week.

Eventually, I hope to find a perfect balance between diaper stress and excitement that allows me to go 24/7 and no longer have these changes between loving to be diaper dependend and wondering why I love that so much. It would be nice to just live the incontinent life and no longer question why I have this fetish. 

• Like 4