LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Jehovah's Witness - Was I Wrong

Some Jehovah's Witnesses came to my door and they were nice and friendly even after I told them I was Buddhist. They offered to come over for Bible study even though I told them I don't know much about Christianity. So this went on for about a year, once every week. Eventually l felt pressured to go to the kingdom hall (their church). I continued to explain that although I had interest in Jesus and the idea of an all powerful god I still considered myself Buddhist. I also told them how much I enjoyed studying and thought I was learning but for me it was about understanding not converting. They left without their normal goodbye. Although they still leave an occasional watchtower they seem cold and maybe a little angry. I thought I was being nice when I declined the offer to go to their church and I told them from the beginning I didn't want to change religions. I was just confused by the sudden change in attitudes. Has anyone else experienced this?

I think you honest and polite.  There is nothing wrong with curiosity.

Sadly it sounds they were more interested in getting a convert than sharing their religion. 

• 2 months later...

It is unfortunate, but there seems to be quite a dark side to this religion. I've met countless victims of their policies of "disconnection" of family members who leave the faith, the mysterious "watchtower society" in Brooklyn, NY which takes most of the money donated by church members, however doesn't disclose anything about what it spends it on. They also have quite strange views on the refusal of life-saving medical procedures, which are often enforced by parents on dying infants.

I'm not an expert by any means, and do not want to vilify anyone, but I've met a lot of people who have been traumatized by their parents who practice this religion.

It is entirely possible that they are all outliers, and that at it's core, the religion is sound, however it is something I'm genuinely afraid of after seeing the suffering caused to those who defect from it's ranks.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2019 at 12:35 PM, Idzy said:

is entirely possible that they are all outliers, and that at it's core, the religion is sound, however it is something I'm genuinely afraid of after seeing the suffering caused to those who defect from it's ranks.

For Christianity in general, that is not the case.  I know some Christians that are really good people.  

Most, if not all, organized religions probably have a range of attitudes from very accepting to very unaccepting.  My opinion is that religion was created as a coping mechanism for situations that would otherwise be too difficult to accept, which can lead to a very selfish mindset.  Again, this isn't always what happens, as I have seen the opposite as well.  

I'm athiest which may make me a little biased, but I do make a point to respect other people's beliefs even if they're very different from mine.  Actions are what matter.

I have a saying, "The Best Policy is Honesty". You were Honest as you were not interested and even informed them. They Generally aren't very bad people but they see it as "Converting to a JW is saving you" type of thing. So no one was really in the wrong. I still have a Friend who I talk to once in a while who Ive used to study with. Yes, I was a JW *Insert dramatic sound here = 

* Me personally, I kinda Fell away from the religion due to Alcohol and Drug Abuse. I still talk to my JW Friend once in a while. They might have gotten confused with you saying "

On 7/29/2019 at 2:37 PM, LeaveIt2Me said:

I continued to explain that although I had interest in Jesus and the idea of an all powerful god I still considered myself Buddhist.

anyway. Hope this helps. :) 

I won't even touch religion within 100 feet. I want it to be kept away from me and not want it near me. I have disdain feelings about religion so I go with, believe whatever the hell you want and do any religion you want, just keep it way from me and don't impose it on anyone. I told my son the same thing too when he was asking me about god and religion so I told him "if you want to do a religion, you may when you are older but do not impose it on anyone in my house. Keep it to yourself." 

• Like 1
On 11/10/2019 at 10:52 PM, Firefly 35 said:

For Christianity in general, that is not the case.  I know some Christians that are really good people.  

I do not equate Jehovah's Witnesses with Christianity. I'm a proud monotheist, and a Christian believer, however belong to no organized religion. For me, it is not a matter of coping, but a matter of the most logical answer to our origins. Unfortunately, my work as a scientist and an engineer leads me to believe that Darwinian evolution, as defined in it's canonical text "Origin of the Species" is by it's own criteria invalidated. There are not many alternatives, however as a designer myself, I have a tremendous amount of respect for the design which has been put into our universe, from the vast expanses of space, to the microscopic complexities of the flora and fauna which flourish on our planet. I'm not one to pass moral judgement upon anyone, I am more than content with my beliefs, and will discuss them with anyone who asks. But if you don't ask, it's not a topic I discuss.

With regard to the Jehovah's Witnesses religion, I have seen the systematic "disconnection" between family and friends to be immensely destructive.