LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Done Adulting, Vol. 2 (Final chapter posted 12/21/20)

4 hours ago, Guilend said:

First I just want to say, yay I got my Jamie fix and it was good as usual. 

Secondly, this us where I mention my wild fantasies that possibly should never be written lol. Amanda finally has too much guilt from not telling her mom that Jamie doesn't need diapers. Of course Becky will realize she has humiliated Jamie and some, but she'll get over it. However she decided that since Amanda technically lied to her and didn't let them make a decision about his diapers together then Amanda needs to be punished. *clears throat* "AMANDA IS HEREBY ON DIAPER PUNISHMENT TILL FURTHER NOTICE. THANK YOU FOR YOU'RE ATTENTION, CARRY ON."

I like the different reactions people are having to Becky. Some split opinions on whether she respects Jamie or not.

The thing is, I think Becky frequently does know best, and I think Jamie has all but surrendered responsibility for himself. He’d have sat there until he exploded if Becky hadn’t taken charge of his tummy for him.

37 minutes ago, Alex Bridges said:

like the different reactions people are having to Becky. Some split opinions on whether she respects Jamie or not.

The thing is, I think Becky frequently does know best, and I think Jamie has all but surrendered responsibility for himself. He’d have sat there until he exploded if Becky hadn’t taken charge of his tummy for him.

While I think she's a decent big and a good mother to both Jamie and Amanda, she's still a big and still has issues with some things. I'm not saying it's good or bad, it's just is what it is. I also know that it might hurt her emotionally if she were ever to find out the truth about Jamie not needing diapers. She will think of herself as a mean mommy that has mentally abused Jamie by forcing him to not only wear and use diapers, but humiliated him in front of others. I'm not sure if she could ever come back from that. However I do think that Amanda should have told her from the start so they both could discuss how to handle it together, as Jamie's guardians. 

1 hour ago, Guilend said:

While I think she's a decent big and a good mother to both Jamie and Amanda, she's still a big and still has issues with some things. I'm not saying it's good or bad, it's just is what it is. I also know that it might hurt her emotionally if she were ever to find out the truth about Jamie not needing diapers. She will think of herself as a mean mommy that has mentally abused Jamie by forcing him to not only wear and use diapers, but humiliated him in front of others. I'm not sure if she could ever come back from that. However I do think that Amanda should have told her from the start so they both could discuss how to handle it together, as Jamie's guardians. 

True, but I think Jamie is over it, and I don’t think he would ever use a word like “abuse” to describe anything Becky has ever done to or for him.

I’ve been thinking through what he’d say if he were offered the chance to get out of them, and I’m not sure. I’m not sure how well he could even be potty trained so long as he keeps breast feeding.

Great chapter please continue I enjoy the Becky and Jamie but I think Jamie and Amanda have more in common maybe you could put something together where Stacy and Amanda get together in a relationship

I'm really curious to see what going to happen with Ella weather should going to stay or whether she's going to go back to her to  dimension

• Like 1

Obviously they're going to invade a random new dimension as neutral ground wiith earth, ella and diaper dimension/dimension officials all have  vested intersts and let the other dimension Diapered Power Rangers handle security of the meeting.  Of course they all attacked by Evil Potty Monsters that the Diapered Powered Power Rangers are just able to hold off with their CrinklyMegaZords at the very last minute.

• Haha 2

Chapter 28

“I wish you’d give my mom a break,” Jamie said to Ella.

“I just said she ought to have figured a few things out better by now. That’s all. I didn’t mean anything by it.”

“I like the way she treats me.”

“Okay.”

“I … it’s not like you and Stacy. Mom wanted a little, and I wanted to be adopted.”

“But you didn’t want everything that came with it,” Ella pointed out.

“I didn’t know what I wanted. And I like how things are now. Isn’t that the point? The past is the past.”

“Even when she makes you do something you don’t want?”

“Which is not often, and only because I won’t make myself do things I know I probably should. I get to be pouty about stuff sometimes even when I’m wrong. I earned that right as a little.”

“You’re right. I’m sorry … but wouldn’t you change some things?”

Jamie thought on that occasionally, especially this time of year around his arrival day, when he thought back on this first days and weeks and months. So many misunderstandings, so much hard adjustment, so much fear and embarrassment and hurt feelings. Ultimately, it was him heeding Becky’s and Manda’s words and trusting them, giving up some autonomy so he could give up responsibility and focus on being Jamie, being happy, that made it all work. It took most of a year, but they all got there.

“Not really,” Jamie shrugged. “I like being a little. You used to be happy that I liked being a little.”

“I do! I still do. It’s just … I’ve been thinking, since everything’s happened this summer, how … there are things I’d change if I could, and you could change some of those, or at least try. I guess I’m just projecting.”

“Well, I like being her Baby Bear. She takes good care of me.”  

“I know she does.”

“She’s not like the other bigs just because she’s like them in some ways. I know you’re angry, but she’s still on your side.”

“I know she is. I’m sorry I even brought it up.”

“Good,” Jamie said.

“Okay.”

“You wanna complain about something, complain to Stacy for convincing her to get that stupid monitor,” Jamie said.

“Manda still needs to get you a screwdriver?”

“The battery door is screwed shut!”

“Have you thought about just telling Becky you don’t want it?”

“And say what? That’s it’s a drag on our sex life?”

“If she’s so all-fire understanding, you should be able to just tell her the truth. Or not! Just tell her you want it gone, and that if she respects you, she’ll just do it.”

“Maybe…”

“Just try, Jamie. You’ve done everything she wanted. This one thing you should be okay putting your foot down.” Jamie had never gotten over his discomfort with asking for things, especially when he had to ask twice. It frustrated Ella. She wanted Jamie to be more assertive. When it was about her, he’d stand up for her. When it was about him, she thought he gave in too easily still. “It’s for us,” she reminded him.

“Okay. I’ll ask tonight at bedtime.”

“Thank you.”

Jamie sat there for a moment. A lot of his life worked because of what he chose not to say. He had a good idea of what the thing was that Ella would change, and while Jamie would change that same thing to a degree, he didn’t want to change it entirely. Amanda had been right: diapers were right for him to help him grow close to Becky and her and to help him accept giving up responsibility and control, and they were so much a part of his life now he didn’t want to give them up. They felt good; they felt right. As hard as the first months had been because of the diapers, he wouldn’t change it even if he could go back. All the frustration and embarrassment were just one part of the growing pains Jamie saw as being part of becoming who he was now, and he liked that person and that person’s life, and he wouldn’t change anything that would change those. He didn’t know why or how that had become a topic of conversation, but it obviously had as Becky had several times now made a point of telling him how he shouldn’t feel bad that Sammy was on his way to underpants.

“I like things the way they are,” Jamie said again. He liked pretty much everything about Jamie, and the parts he didn’t like he was okay with because Becky and Manda and, he hoped, Ella liked Jamie in spite of those things, or even because of them.

“C’mere,” Ella said as she reached out and took his hand. “I didn’t meant to upset you. I like you the way you are, too.” She rubbed her thumb over the back of his hand, and he felt regretful for snapping at her. They were both emotionally delicate, each for their own reasons, and what they needed was to make progress in resolving their respective crises for things to start to get better. It felt like everyone was on edge too often these days.

“And I like you the way you are, too,” Jamie said. “I’m sorry if I got snippy.”

“Me, too.”

The very events they were dreading needed to arrive in the hope that normalcy could return to their lives, albeit a new normal.

• Like 12
2 hours ago, Alex Bridges said:

“Have you thought about just telling Becky you don’t want it?”

“And say what? That’s it’s a drag on our sex life?”

Lol! I get the feeling that a different set of people would find the baby monitor and high likelihood of getting caught a huge turn on instead of a drag. However, as someone who's had roommates, I totally understand how Jamie and Ella feel.

• Like 1

Chapter 29

“Thanks for agreeing to talk with me,” Jamie said as he sat in the chair opposite the couch, where Becky was seated. Becky was thrown by his formality, something he did a lot less of since his arrival, when he tended to want to talk like this, seated opposite each other as if in a business meeting.

“Of course,” Becky replied, trying to lighten the tone, “what’s up?”

Jamie cleared his throat. “I don’t ask for much, as I think you’ll agree. I go with the flow. I let it ride. I take life as it comes. I’m easy to please. I’m...”

“Jamie.”

“Sorry. Anyway, it’s, um, about that monitor you put in my room. I’d like you to, um, take it out. Please.”

Becky was a bit taken aback, and amused. “Why is that, honey?”

“Um, well, it’s just, I kinda feel like, um, I don’t have much, um, privacy anymore.”

“Okay.”

“Okay?”

“Sure! We got by without it. I’ll just return it.”

“Thank you,” Jamie said with a sigh of relief.

“Is that all?”

“Yeah.”

“You were so nervous about that?” Becky crossed the room and picked up Jamie. “You silly bear. You shouldn’t be afraid to ask for anything ever,” she assured him as she hugged him. At least he could tell Ella he was right about it. Or was she right about? Best not to say either way, except to tell her it was gone.

“I know. I just... still don’t like it.”

“We’ll just go get it right now.” She carried him into the nursery and took the monitor, setting it on the floor outside the door. “It’s almost you’re bedtime.” Becky sat him on the changing table and got a diaper cover from his dresser, the only thing he ever wore to bed in the summer time.

“Where’s Manda tonight,” Jamie asked.

“Out.”

He grimaced. “Is there a reason no one will tell me? Is she dating someone?” He assumed she was, and given his history with that he couldn’t fault them for keeping it from him. But he wanted them to know he was okay with it. He wanted to make it easier for her and thought her knowing he was fine with it, and that she didn’t need to treat it like a secret, would help with that. “I won’t be upset,” he promised and mostly believed.

“Well, I think she should tell you,” Becky begged off. Jamie sighed as Becky started to get him changed into his PJs.

“How come you never date anyone,” Jamie asked and instantly regretted.

“Um .... huh.” Becky hadn’t seen that coming. “I guess I, well, I guess I have enough happiness in my life with you and Manda.”

“What about when Amanda moves out?”

“Well, I don’t know.” Jamie didn’t want to share her - what if she started dating and fell in love with someone who had young kids or a little - but he didn’t want her to be lonely either. “Lift your butt.” She slid the cover into place over his fresh diaper and held her hands out to help him sit up. “Comfy?”

“Mhmm.” Becky could tell he was thinking and thought she knew what about. She picked him and sat down in the rocker with him.

“Wanna tell me what you’re thinking about?”

“Not really,” Jamie demurred.

“Do I need to tickle it out of you like Manda does,” she asked while lightly tickling him under his chin. “Or I can just guess? No one is ever going to be more important to me than you and Amanda, Baby Bear. You know that, right?”

“That wasn’t what I was thinking about.”

“It wasn’t?”

“No. I was thinking when Manda moves out, I don’t want you to be lonely. On days when I’m staying at her house.”

Becky blinked and held her breath. “That’s ... I don’t ... it’s my job to take care of you, remember,” she said as her voice quavered. “You shouldn’t worry about me.” She put him on her shoulder and held him tight to herself.

“I know. But I do anyway.”

“You wanna sleep in my bed tonight,” she tried to change the subject. She was much more comfortable discussing what he wanted and needed than what she wanted and needed. That he thought of her in that way made her teary.

“Yeah.”

“Want your bear?” She stood up and flipped through the blankets in his crib looking for it.

“He needs his diaper changed,” Jamie said when she found it.

“Is he wet,” Becky asked, amused at his sudden playfulness.

“No. I mean he’s just been wearing the same one for a while. It’s all disheveled.”

“Oh,” she chuckled. “We can get him a new package when we return the monitor tomorrow. And maybe we can find a new toy for you, too. Or some fun outfits.”

Becky carried Jamie and his bear upstairs while Jamie yawned. “You wanna stay up,” she asked him. She wouldn’t mind the company, even if it was just watching TV on her bed together.

“I’ll try if you want,” he said sleepily.

Becky placed the bear on the side of the bed she didn’t sleep on, what had become  Jamie’s side, and sat down on her side, laying back mostly flat and positioning Jamie face down on top of her. She opened her blouse for him. He smiled weakly and moved himself to latch on while Becky reached for her TV remote.

After a few minutes, she felt Jamie stop.

“You awake buddy,” she whispered. She got no response, planted a kiss on the top of Jamie’s head, and ran her nails up and down his back the way he liked.

She reflected on what he had said about being lonely. She hadn’t thought about it like that, but she did sometimes think about what it would be like to be an empty nester a few nights a week. She figured she’d get closer to Kazoo and he to her. As for dating, she hadn’t been on one in over a year and hadn’t had a relationship since Manda was still in secondary school. She didn’t give much thought to after Manda moved out beyond how it would change Jamie’s routine and how she’d need to manage that, though she knew it would be hard on herself. It already was, but it was manageable because the work of making it happen was distracting her. For now it was enough to find an affordable place for them, which she knew they had to figure out soon or likely wait until the next semester.

She set Jamie next to her and stood up to put on her own pajamas even though it was still light out. She wasn’t going anywhere. She picked up Jamie’s ratty, old bear and looked it over. It did need a new diaper, and while a bath would go a long way, what it really needed was a new coat. She made a mental note to ask Jamie if he’d let her sew it a new one and take him to the fabric store to pick out what he wanted. She’d never sewn a coat for a teddy bear before, but she thought she’d be able to.

He stirred in his sleep, and she had a selfish thought. She nudged him gently. And again. And again and he woke up.

“Awake so soon,” she asked innocently.

“Muhsuhbuhduh,” he mumbled and dug his face into the covers.

“You want some ice cream?”

“What?”

“Or we could bake some cookies.”

“How long was I asleep?”

“About twenty minutes.”

He looked at her. If he couldn’t sleep, she’d move him to a different bed, lay down with him, let him nurse or sing to him. She never invited him to have a snack or start baking. “Are you bored,” he asked.

“No. I just figured if you weren’t tired enough to sleep yet...” She felt guilty, but not guilty enough to come clean.

He understood, and while he didn’t want to get out of bed, he didn’t want to leave her hanging if she were lonely.

“Would you read to me?”

“Yeah! I’ll go get your book, and I’ll make you a bottle of water. How does that sound?”

“I’ll be here.”

By the time Becky got back upstairs, Jamie was curled around her pillow asleep again. She wasn’t mean enough to wake him a second time. Instead she picked him up gently and laid him down on top of her again. He instinctively snuggled into her, and she could feel his little heart beat against her.

“It will be hard,” she whispered to him, “but you don’t worry about that. You just be happy, and I’ll be happy.”

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
On 9/12/2019 at 10:10 PM, Alex Bridges said:

Chapter 26

Jamie responded by spooning Ella and pulling his blanket over the two of them, placing a long kiss on her neck and laying his arm over her. It was meager solace and no protection, he knew. He didn’t have else to give her, no words to say.

“My name was Courtney,” Ella said. “I never liked it.”

Welp I'm wrecked

In the immortal words of Loader-bot "Why must the universe punish the good?"

*knocks back whiskey soda*

Ssael just take me home....

unknown.png

On 9/18/2019 at 8:14 AM, Alex Bridges said:

And Ella is going to snap out of it eventually, I hope. 

To be honest I don't blame Ella if she never quite manages to.

Forgiveness is a choice and honestly after what she went through....

• Like 1
8 hours ago, YourFNF said:

To be honest I don't blame Ella if she never quite manages to.

Forgiveness is a choice and honestly after what she went through....

I think she needs to stop taking out her anger on people who didn't do anything to her. That's not forgiveness so much as just not lashing out.

And sometimes we forgive people not because they deserve it but because doing so helps us. Like Jamie said in Volume 1, he forgave the people who hurt him because he needed to do it for himself and because those people don't get to have all the energy it takes to hate.

But Jamie and Ella are different people. Should be interesting to see how Ella develops.

Chapter 30

“Are you sure you know how to do this,” Jamie asked. His bear had definitely seen better days, but he was wary of Becky doing something to it that couldn’t be undone.

“I’ll be very careful. And you can pick out any fabric you like,” Becky assured Jamie. “I just want you to like it.” Though she hoped he wouldn’t pick any too expensive. She expected to waste a lot of it screwing it up.

For his part, Jamie was not so sure about her sewing a new coat on his bear. He figured she could manage it well enough, but it was the bear Cheryl gave him. He knew it needed to be refreshed, but he didn’t want to change it so much that it wasn’t the bear she gave him anymore. He brought it along to compare to the fabric swatches.

“Can I help you find anything,” a saleswoman asked from behind them.

“We’re looking for, well I don’t know, fake fur I guess,” Becky said. “Teddy Bear fabric.”

The woman bent at the waist to look Jamie in the eye. “Are you getting a new bear, or is that bear getting a new coat?”

“A new coat,” he replied. “Like this one. Only clean.”

“Haha. I think we can get pretty close.” She led them to a section of the store with colorful fabrics clearly meant for littles, young kids, and their toys. “Here’s everything. I’ll be over there when you pick one.”

“Well, let’s find one,” Becky said with a smile. She began fingering the bolts of cloth while Jamie zeroed in on the medium tans that most closely matched his bear when it was new. It was darker and less vibrant now. He turned his bear upside down and tugged on its tail, under which was the cleanest fur that looked the most like it had when he’d first opened Cheryl’s box of gifts. Jamie held each piece of cloth to that section, carefully comparing.

“It’s one of these two,” he told Becky.

“Let me see.” Becky made the same comparison. “I think it’s this one.”

Jamie eyed it very carefully. “I think you’re right.” He smiled. He looked forward to having a clean bear again. But he was still nervous about it.

Becky waved to the saleswoman.

“So enough to do that bear,” the woman asked. “Can I measure it, sweetie?” Jamie handed over the bear. She produced a tape measure from her pocket and measured it, imperfectly.

“I’ve never done this before,” Becky said. “I mean, I’ve sewed, just not a teddy.”

“We have a book we can give you, and we’ll get you plenty of extra cloth. I suggest making a small one from scratch before trying to make this fella a new coat.”

Having made their purchases, they went back to the car, where Becky buckled the bear inside and turned back to the row of stores.

“Let’s go find some fun stuff for you.”

“I don’t need anything.”

“Well, not now, but won’t it be nice to have some things at Manda’s so you don’t have to carry everything you need back and forth?”

Becky long ago became a rewards member at A Little This, A Little That, and despite himself Jamie did like going to the store. It was as cold in there as the first time he went there, and he cringed as they walked into the air conditioning.

“Wanna ride in the cart,” Becky asked him.

“Sure.” She picked him up and deposited him in the seat. They never went there except Becky started at the outer wall of the store and worked her way in, at least waking past everything if not stopping to look at it.

“You do still need a crib,” Becky mused as she walked past them.

“I like that kind, with the rail that opens out instead of up.” He pointed to one.

“Hmm. I’m not so sure about that after your adventure with the little extract.”

“Well, doesn’t that just prove the rail can’t keep me in?”

“Should I get a top for your crib then?”

“No! I mean, no. That’s not necessary. Plus, uh, it’s a fire hazard.”

“Don’t worry. I wouldn’t do that to you, unless you make a habit of getting out. What about this one?” She was referring to a blue one with a rail that could open either way. He didn’t feel strongly about it one way or the other. For one, he knew Amanda would let him get in and out of it from the front, whereas Becky would likely leave the latch that let it open from the front closed most of the time.

“I like it, but shouldn’t she sign a lease first?”

“I think she’s getting close. Just a couple more places she wants to look at before the two of you make a decision.” Becky plucked the tag from the crib.

“So you guys got the little fee thing worked out?”

“Yeah, mostly.”

“What does that mean?”

“It’ll make things a little tight, but we’ll manage.” Jamie hated that idea. He didn’t want them sacrificing for him. They did enough of that already.

“What if Manda got a one-bedroom? I can just squeeze in there, maybe without a crib. I’ll just sleep in Manda’s bed. Or on the couch.”

“Well, no way are you sleeping on the couch. I’m not sure you’d want to sleep in her bed every night. She might wake you up when she came to bed.”

“Better that than spending more than you can really afford, though.”

There was nothing Becky could give him that she wouldn’t give, but he had a point. Expense was the main reason Manda hadn’t signed a lease yet. They were struggling to find a place they could afford but that was in a good part of town and was a nice place to live. They also had to take into account the agency, and Marsha, his social worker, might have a problem with a some of the more affordable places. Not that they weren’t safe, but they certainly weren’t modern or very nice. Becky didn’t like them, either, not for Jamie or for Amanda. She took out her phone and took a picture of the tag, and then put it back. Jamie felt a little awkward.

“How about a rocking chair, then. You’re definitely gonna want one of those.”

“Yeah, but Manda should pick that out. She’s the one who’s gonna sit in it.”

“You will, too.”

“But I’ll be sitting on her.”

Becky made a face at him. “You’re terrible at shopping, Jamester.”

“I’m good at other things,” he replied haughtily.

“We’re getting you some outfits at least, and some toys. You can’t say you won’t be needing those.” She steered him toward the clothes section. She knew he didn’t much care about clothes. He was basic, so she tossed some basics in the cart. Tee shirts in different colors with different cute pictures on them, a couple pairs of shorts, a collared shirt, some diaper covers, socks, onesies. When the weather turned cold they could find things for then.

“What are you looking at,” she asked him when she noticed him twisting around.

“Nothing.”

“Tell me.”

“It’s not a big deal.”

“Then there’s no reason you shouldn’t tell me,” she countered, “and we’re not going anywhere until you do.” She was being playful, but she did want to work more on him saying what was on his mind. It seemed since the start of the summer he’d become more careful about that, and she wasn’t sure why. She didn’t mind that he had thoughts he didn’t want to share, but it bothered her, made her wonder if she was doing or saying things that made him feel uncomfortable. She chalked that up mostly to the self-doubt all bigs and parents experience, but it was a balancing act, and so was knowing when to prod Jamie and when to let him stay silent.

Jamie blushed and wouldn’t look her in the eye, but he told her. “I was looking at the dresses.” Becky pushed the cart down the aisle toward the little girls’ section.

“For Ella? We can get her a present. Which one were you looking at?”

“Um, for me,” Jamie whispered.

Becky wasn’t expecting that at all. He owned a few articles of clothing that had come from the girls’ section, but other than the styling they were all unisex clothes. No skirts or dresses. But the last she wanted was to make Jamie feel self-conscious or judged, so she did her best to cover her surprise.

“Oh, well, which one,” she asked.

“That one. The blue tee shirt dress.” He pointed to a cerulean, sleeveless, racerback dress. “It’s … well, Manda has one like it, and it looks really comfortable after a day at the pool.” He actually knew how comfortable hers was because she often picked him up while wearing it, and he loved how soft and light it felt. He reached out and felt the dress on the rack. It was just like hers, a soft, stretchy, jersey material.

“Let’s get it,” Becky decided. If he wanted to try it, that was fine. She had questions she’d ask later, but there was no harm in getting an inexpensive little’s dress. “You like this color?”

“Yeah,” Jamie said, “it’s fun.” Still, he blushed to say it.

“Anything else you want to look at over here?”

He was feeling a little more confident. He hadn’t expected Becky to ridicule or judge him, but it was asking for something, and it was asking for something out of the norm. He might as well try another. “I wanna try a skirt,” he said.

“What kind of skirt?”

“I dunno. They just look more comfortable than shorts when it’s hot out.”

“So like one of these,” Becky asked as she pushed the cart toward a rack of A-lines. “Like this kind of material?” It was some kind of synthetic fabric, light but not flouncy. Jamie had hiking shorts in the same kind of material.

“Yeah.”

She glanced at the price tag. “What color?”

“I like the print one.” It was a rust color with a geometric pattern on it.

“Why those?”

“They’re fun. All my stuff is boring. Khaki this and navy that. They don’t make guy clothes in fun colors and patterns. It’s pretty.”

“Okay. Anything else, or are we ready to check out some toys?”

“No, that’s all.” Jamie agreed to a few new toys. He mostly played with building toys and coloring books and art supplies. He let Becky get him some blocks, a new drawing pad, and some pencils. She walked down an aisle of traditionally girls’ toys as an experiment to see if Jamie would look at anything. She kind of liked the idea of him playing with a doll. She felt she could more easily share in that experience with him. She even had a box of her old toys, mostly dolls, in a box in the attic. But he didn’t give any of the toys in the aisle a second glance.

She wanted to get him a drawing table, but he reminded her they didn’t yet know how much room Amanda’s place would have. She seemed eager to get him things, and he wondered if that was because she was ready to be done with the move or because she just wanted to get him things to try to make it fun for him. She did stock up on bottles, tableware, a booster seat, and diapering supplies for him. He couldn’t dispute he’d need those.

As they were heading toward the checkout, he did tell her, “There is one thing I want but didn’t see.”

“What’s that?”

“A bike. I told Manda I’d help her learn to ride one.”

“And did she want to?”

“Well, she said yes. I think she’s afraid.” He knew if he didn’t say something, she never would. He was meaning to conspire with Mel to bring it up again.

“That’s my fault for not making her learn when she was young,” Becky said. “I like the idea of it, though. She might like being able to get around without her car. If she really wants to we can go to a bike shop.” What Becky didn’t say is she wouldn’t get Jamie a bike unless Amanda wanted one or she decided to get one for herself. She didn’t think Jamie would be content to ride one around the backyard or slowly while she or Manda walked alongside, and she couldn’t let him ride off on his own. He’d get brought home by the police, or worse. If Amanda didn’t want one and Jamie still did, maybe he’d settle for a tricycle or scooter.

At home, Becky sent Jamie to his room with his bear to get ready for his nap while she unpacked the car. Amanda helped unload, and much of it went into a stack in a corner of the garage.

“Has Jamie mentioned anything to you about girl clothes,” Becky asked quietly when they got into the kitchen. She figured the answer was no. She knew Jamie shared things with Manda in confidence, but she thought that was the kind of thing Amanda would tell her about.

“No. Why?” Becky produced the dressed from one of the shopping bags. “Jamie wanted that?”

“He said yours looks so comfy after a day at the pool.”

“Huh. Well, it is. Jamie’s a pretty practical person. It’s probably nothing more than that.”

“He wanted a skirt, too, because it’s hot.”

“See? Just practical. Are you okay with it?”

“Yeah, of course. I just … I don’t want him to get made fun of.” One thing that Jamie hadn’t gotten better at since his arrival was sticking up for himself, especially with other littles. Jamie was so popular at daycare and the park and the pool that he didn’t get picked on often, but every so once in a while he would be, and just like when Amanda was young, Becky hated seeing it.

“You want me to talk to him about it,” Amanda asked. She knew he’d tell her things he wouldn’t tell Becky. She knew what a rich inner life he led. That wasn’t the stereotype about littles, but almost all littles were regressed and incapable of the big and abstract thoughts Jamie, just like bigs, had. It was one of the things she and Becky both liked so much about not having an unregressed little.

“Maybe just casually bring it up. Tell him you like it and see what he says.”

“Okay. I’ll bring it after his nap.”

“Speaking of, how would you feel about getting a one-bedroom, and he could sleep in your bed with you.”

Manda wasn’t surprise by the question, exactly. She knew they were having a hard time making the math work with a two-bedroom apartment. They could afford that, but add on the little fee and it took a big bite out of both of their monthly incomes. It still frustrated Amanda – offended her, really – that the little fee was as much as it was. She could get four dogs for what apartment complexes charged to have a little in the unit. She had never paid it much mind, but the more she looked around, the more she saw the barriers that existed to having a little. It wasn’t as expensive as having a kid, but neither were there subsidies for littles like there were for children’s daycare. Littles were even covered under a different health program than bigs, and unlike healthcare for bigs, care for littles wasn’t free.

“I’ll need to think about that. He might not like that, not having his own space.”

“just the other day he did say he wanted more privacy. He’s waiting to be put down for his nap,” Becky said.

“Where did you guys eat,” Manda asked as they walked to the nursery.

“June Bug’s.”

“Blech. Everything there tastes like little food.” She couldn’t fathom how but assumed it was because they didn’t use separate cooking equipment for big food and little food.

“Yeah, but he likes it. Oh!” Becky stopped herself when she turned into the nursery and saw Jamie asleep on the floor with his bear and Kazoo. He’d gotten his pacifier himself, and she could see it just barely bob up and down between his lips.

“Leave him,” Amanda asked.

“Yeah.” Becky tiptoed to the crib and got his blanket, then laid it gently over the three of them. Kazoo opened his eyes and looked at Becky, then closed them again as he exhaled, the way dogs do, with a stretch.

• Like 12

Very well done. Definitely something to keep the readers coming back for more, if Jamie and his family wasn't enough. 

It's final, Manda not gonna leave, I put my foot down. She's to live at home and be her mommy's baby girl and Jamie's big sister. It's just too hard in the big bad world. I mean, the story is called "Done Adulting " soooo, it doesn't say it starts or stops with Jamie. 

Wow, here's a thought, "Done Adulting " might not refer to Jamie at all. This whole time the author just made us believe it was, maybe even the characters had made the author believe it too. Maybe it's all about Amanda, where she moves out and realizes it was so much better being a little girl and moves back in with Becky and decides she's done Adulting? Mind blown.

• Haha 1
  • Alex Bridges changed the title to Done Adulting, Vol. 2 (Final chapter posted 12/21/20)