LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Northshore has always been good to me, whatever organization they decide to support that's his decision but I won't boycott a good company. Northshore is one of the better diaper companies out there really no comparison on customer service. Adam and his crew have always had a good head on the shoulders about deciding what's best. They have done allot of good for the dd community, more then I can say for some of the other "diaper companies". To boycott @NorthShoreAdam not happening here.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Pete671 said:

Autism speaks does not speak for me,,,

Northshore duly boycotted,,,

Northshore responded to another user's emails and has said they are no longer supporting Autism Speaks and will do further research into good charities. I and at least one other person have directed them to the Autistic Self Advocacy Network.

8 hours ago, BabyBooBoo93 said:

Northshore responded to another user's emails and has said they are no longer supporting Autism Speaks and will do further research into good charities. I and at least one other person have directed them to the Autistic Self Advocacy Network.

Thanks for that Babyboo, boycott duly lifted,,,

On 6/21/2019 at 10:21 AM, vvp39 said:

"According to the most recent available financial reports, less than 2% of their funds went to services for autistic families."

That information ought to take precedence over all the other hoo-hah....

As best as I can tell that 2% is only direct dollars paid to families. On their most recent filings, there is 85% of their funds used for education, awareness and research. This would include staffing the people that provided resource information to my friends and coworkers. this would include staging events like the Autism walks in Chicagoland which were attended by thousands which greatly helped improve awareness and education of autism in our area. We had over 50 people from our company alone that attended and learned so much that they had no idea before. Many are motivated now to find more ways to help out. Another 10% of their funds were used to raise the $100 million from donors...so that 95% + 2% family services = 97% that I believe positively benefits families dealing with autism. I feel that people have every right to protest and work to change some of the views of Autism Speaks. As I learn more and verify some of these facts, I will join that effort. However, I feel that much of that $100 million is so very helpful to so many who would continue struggling without adequate resources or support. I don't feel a blanket ban on supporting everything that Autism Speaks does is the right choice at this time.

NorthShore will be reaching out to ASAN and other groups as well  to see how best we can support people with Autism and their families. It was our employees dealing with Autism that asked us to support Autism Speaks and the walk in Chicago. We felt it was important to support our employees and their families...and we hoped also many of our customers as well. I know a lot of good came from that event already. We will certainly be sensitive to the bigger picture and politics involved. We're not taking a stance on the politics or medicine of how autism should be treated, classified or communicated. That's not our expertise. We're only trying to help support people and families with Autism. Again, we're sorry upsetting anyone.

Sincerely,

NorthShoreAdam

On 6/25/2019 at 1:50 AM, Pete671 said:

Thanks for that Babyboo, boycott duly lifted,,,

Just to be clear since this is a very sensitive subject...we are not actively supporting Autism Speaks further at this time, but also not joining any protests against them. We're researching further ways to help make a difference. This could eventually be through ASAN, other groups, or even Autism Speaks someday if appropriate. We won't rush into helping out anymore...which is very difficult for us as our motto is "we're always happy to help".

• Like 7

Well said.  Something may not be perfect by far, but that doesn't mean I'm leaving the country just because I may not like some of the things our president does.  Other things that are done even it out.

• Like 2

My brother was raising money for his birthday to donate to Autism Speaks. I don't know if it's because he has a sister with it or because he knows people who have autism or autistic kids or he is just trying top be helpful or all to the above. 

4 hours ago, NorthShoreAdam said:

As best as I can tell that 2% is only direct dollars paid to families. On their most recent filings, there is 85% of their funds used for education, awareness and research. This would include staffing the people that provided resource information to my friends and coworkers. this would include staging events like the Autism walks in Chicagoland which were attended by thousands which greatly helped improve awareness and education of autism in our area. We had over 50 people from our company alone that attended and learned so much that they had no idea before. Many are motivated now to find more ways to help out. Another 10% of their funds were used to raise the $100 million from donors...so that 95% + 2% family services = 97% that I believe positively benefits families dealing with autism. I feel that people have every right to protest and work to change some of the views of Autism Speaks. As I learn more and verify some of these facts, I will join that effort. However, I feel that much of that $100 million is so very helpful to so many who would continue struggling without adequate resources or support. I don't feel a blanket ban on supporting everything that Autism Speaks does is the right choice at this time.

NorthShore will be reaching out to ASAN and other groups as well  to see how best we can support people with Autism and their families. It was our employees dealing with Autism that asked us to support Autism Speaks and the walk in Chicago. We felt it was important to support our employees and their families...and we hoped also many of our customers as well. I know a lot of good came from that event already. We will certainly be sensitive to the bigger picture and politics involved. We're not taking a stance on the politics or medicine of how autism should be treated, classified or communicated. That's not our expertise. We're only trying to help support people and families with Autism. Again, we're sorry upsetting anyone.

Sincerely,

NorthShoreAdam

Just to be clear since this is a very sensitive subject...we are not actively supporting Autism Speaks further at this time, but also not joining any protests against them. We're researching further ways to help make a difference. This could eventually be through ASAN, other groups, or even Autism Speaks someday if appropriate. We won't rush into helping out anymore...which is very difficult for us as our motto is "we're always happy to help".

I understand that Northshore’s Intent was to help. However, supporting Autism Speaks was unfortunately the wrong way to go about doing so. I do appreciate that NorthShore is listening to autistic advocates and researching how they can help best.

I’m going to explain a hypothetical scenario to try to get more people to understand why I and other autistic people are so opposed to companies supporting Autism Speaks. The hypothetical scenario will be entirely in italics to emphasize that it is hypothetical.

Imagine there is a charitable organization called “ABDL Speaks.” The leadership board of this charity is comprised entirely of Vanilla people. Only 2% of their funds actually go to ABDL people. Most of the funds raised by this organization go to Awareness campaigns with slogans like #CombatABDL and #FightAgeplay. They put out propaganda videos comparing ABDL to AIDS and cancer. They promote therapies designed to make ABDLs act like Vanillas. They ally with “educational centers” that use contingent electric shock to punish harmless ABDL behaviors the Vanillas deem unacceptable. Does this  sound like a charity that helps ABDLs or hurts them?

This is what Autism Speaks is like to autistic people. They make autism all about the families and how hard it is on them having autistic children.

I am autistic and Autism Speaks does not speak for me.

9F230D89-D99A-430F-9336-F3922A1870BA.jpeg

• Haha 2

I made sure to contact adam so that Northshore could have their say in this particular topic and I am very pleased with the well thought out and rational response from a company that has done nothing but good four our dd site and the diaper community as a whole with their good service, product and prices.   In the end as stated above the only crime that this company has committed is the crime of wanting to help other people, and if that is wrong then I don't want to ever be right.

• Like 1
On 6/29/2019 at 9:14 AM, Cute_Kitten said:

Northshore Care's response is rational, well-balanced and thoughtful. They've handled this situation well. They're looking at the facts, not feelings. 

I think Northshore is very good in being transparent and open to the community.  

Autism speaks has a history of doing the opposite.  I'm not sure if they're still spreading myths but personally I don't trust them.  Autistic people commonly need help with making friendships, finding and keeping a job & education, independent living, etc, although it varies a lot depending on their specific situation.  If Autism speaks is helping with these things and having a positive effect on the community, I will change my opinion of them accordingly.

On 6/28/2019 at 7:10 PM, BabyBooBoo93 said:

I understand that Northshore’s Intent was to help. However, supporting Autism Speaks was unfortunately the wrong way to go about doing so. I do appreciate that NorthShore is listening to autistic advocates and researching how they can help best.

I’m going to explain a hypothetical scenario to try to get more people to understand why I and other autistic people are so opposed to companies supporting Autism Speaks. The hypothetical scenario will be entirely in italics to emphasize that it is hypothetical.

Imagine there is a charitable organization called “ABDL Speaks.” The leadership board of this charity is comprised entirely of Vanilla people. Only 2% of their funds actually go to ABDL people. Most of the funds raised by this organization go to Awareness campaigns with slogans like #CombatABDL and #FightAgeplay. They put out propaganda videos comparing ABDL to AIDS and cancer. They promote therapies designed to make ABDLs act like Vanillas. They ally with “educational centers” that use contingent electric shock to punish harmless ABDL behaviors the Vanillas deem unacceptable. Does this  sound like a charity that helps ABDLs or hurts them?

This is what Autism Speaks is like to autistic people. They make autism all about the families and how hard it is on them having autistic children.

I am autistic and Autism Speaks does not speak for me.

9F230D89-D99A-430F-9336-F3922A1870BA.jpeg

I think a better analogy would be an organization that portrayed ABDL as a mental disorder that needed to be cured, that glossed over the benefits of it (like how abdl is a good coping method for various conditions and has very few health risks), and instead emphazise how many pounds of waste disposable diapers produce, how much money is spent on ab clothing, etc.

The real problem is misinformation.

My wife works as a case manager for developmentally disabled clients. Many of them are autistic. But they're the kind of autistic you refer to as "scare stories" - nonverbal, with profound behavioral problems including violent antisocial traits. I don't see any corollary in your "ABDL" analogy.  These are people who literally are incapable of functioning outside an institutional setting without substantial community support.

4 hours ago, WBDaddy said:

My wife works as a case manager for developmentally disabled clients. Many of them are autistic. But they're the kind of autistic you refer to as "scare stories" - nonverbal, with profound behavioral problems including violent antisocial traits. I don't see any corollary in your "ABDL" analogy.  These are people who literally are incapable of functioning outside an institutional setting without substantial community support.

This is what Autism Speaks is aimed at. It's not a black and white issue as you (not you WBDaddy) make it out to be. I don't have a problem with this organization. There are other things out there to worry about than a group that likes to collect money. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, WBDaddy said:

Institutions that use contingent electric shock to force compliance? Any place that does that ought to be shut down immediately. Autism Speaks literally supports the last “treatment school” that still uses electric shock on its students. It’s barbaric and no matter what else the organization does, we should not turn a blind eye to them condoning what amounts to torture.

And being profoundly disabled does not make their life have less value than anybody else’s. Many self-advocates use augmented and alternative communication (iPad apps and tablets specifically for pictures/text to speech) because they cannot speak verbally or with sign language.

Source: https://autisticmama.com/autism-speaks-partners-abusive-therapy-center/

It’s called Autism Spectrum Disorder for a reason. There’s not one form of autism, and some experts believe what we now call Autism Spectrum Disorder is actually many distinct conditions science has yet to isolate.

Because it is a spectrum, perhaps it makes little sense to expect a single organization, treatment, or approach to address the needs of every person with Autism Spectrum Disorder and people caring for those with Autism Spectrum Disorder.

I fully respect the perspective of the OP.

I also believe that the most severe forms of Autism Spectrum Disorder are something science should attempt to prevent, not because people with severe forms of the disorder do no have value but precisely because they do have value. And at the same time, I believe society should treat people with those severe forms as the dignified, incredible human beings that they are.

This is possible because my views about any disease or disorder are distinct from my views on those with the disease or disorder. 

So when I see a person with a severe form of Autism Spectrum Disorder, such as the girl I saw while working at a respite camp for children and adults with developmental disorders, whose life consists of sitting quietly wherever she is placed because she cannot walk or crawl or communicate, rocking herself, and wearing hearing protection because the volume of normal conversation causes her pain, I see a person who is just as much a miracle of creation as any other human and a condition I’d like to see no one else suffer again.

This view has nothing to do with not wanting her to exist. It has everything to do with not wanting a debilitating disorder to exist, the same way I wish other developmental disorders, other conditions, and diseases did not exist.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
On 7/6/2019 at 9:36 AM, Author_Alex said:

It’s called Autism Spectrum Disorder for a reason. There’s not one form of autism, and some experts believe what we now call Autism Spectrum Disorder is actually many distinct conditions science has yet to isolate.

Because it is a spectrum, perhaps it makes little sense to expect a single organization, treatment, or approach to address the needs of every person with Autism Spectrum Disorder and people caring for those with Autism Spectrum Disorder.

I fully respect the perspective of the OP.

I also believe that the most severe forms of Autism Spectrum Disorder are something science should attempt to prevent, not because people with severe forms of the disorder do no have value but precisely because they do have value. And at the same time, I believe society should treat people with those severe forms as the dignified, incredible human beings that they are.

This is possible because my views about any disease or disorder are distinct from my views on those with the disease or disorder. 

So when I see a person with a severe form of Autism Spectrum Disorder, such as the girl I saw while working at a respite camp for children and adults with developmental disorders, whose life consists of sitting quietly wherever she is placed because she cannot walk or crawl or communicate, rocking herself, and wearing hearing protection because the volume of normal conversation causes her pain, I see a person who is just as much a miracle of creation as any other human and a condition I’d like to see no one else suffer again.

This view has nothing to do with not wanting her to exist. It has everything to do with not wanting a debilitating disorder to exist, the same way I wish other developmental disorders, other conditions, and diseases did not exist.

Excellent post.