LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

How to Cloth

DAQ

Hey all,

I have worn Disposable diapers for a long time. I have dabbled in cloth diapers usually as a doubler on the outside of my already thick disposables to get that leg spreading quality while sleeping. Recently I started wearing 24/7 and looking at them with more of an eye towards actually using them as a cost cutting measure. I have worn some in the past and used them but the ALWAYS seem to leak even with the most basic of wettings. So my question is, what am I doing wrong? I have used the dependeco AIO for very light wettings. And I have also used the Fetware Nightweight cloth diapers. Most recently I tried the latter with a pair of Garywear PUL Pants that I usually wear over my disposables as an added precaution. This combination leaked after the very first full wetting.

Am I using the wrong kind of plastic pants?

Is it a matter of positioning?

The wrong diapers?

Long story short, HELP!?

Thank you in advance for your help

I don't think anyone will be able to give you a definitive answer, but we could try to explore a few possibilities. 

1.  Cloth nappies, in my experience, are better at dealing with flooding than disposables, but that only works if there are no gaps for your wee to escape through.  All the wee needs to hit thick padding, not a single bit of cloth, or a gap.  Gaps are usually at the waist and legs of course.  I'm not familiar with the nappies you've been using, but you need to make sure they fit closely everywhere, particularly at your waist and round your thighs.  Velcro nappies need to be fastened snugly, and pinned ones do too.  If you're using pins, you could try switching to Snappies (find them on Amazon), as they give some elasticity, which means you can get a snugger fit.

2.  Your plastic pants need to be a snug fit at the waist and leg too.  They must however be big enough for the whole of your nappy to fit inside without the elastic of the pants making gaps as you move around.  I find lightweight polyurethane pants do this the best.  Keep the elastic of the pants close to but not touching your nappy.

3.  As with any nappy, cloth nappies will only hold a limited amount.  Once they are saturated they will leak.  Extra soakers make a big  difference to how much a nappy will hold.  Of course that makes them more bulky, so less suitable for daytime wear.

By the way, this isn't really the right place to post this thread: this one's for product and supplier reviews.  There's a separate section for general cloth nappy threads.

Good luck, and I hope you get it sorted out.  It takes time and practice to get it right, but it's worth it when you do.

I recently switched to cloth part time and found they leaked without an insert. I believe the extra pading helps distribute wetness and give the outer diaper more time to absorb, butting down on leaks. I've chosen to wear PUL (Leakmaster) or vinyl plastic panties one size larger. That helps. Sometimes I'll tuck in the plastic panties, especially in the back.

The other thing I notices making a differ after the first few nights was how tight I wore them. I wear them pretty snug now, and with this set up I don't have leaks.

I prefer to wear cloth over disposables during the day and when out and about I wear a disposable diaper and at night I wear cloth they provide 360 degrees absorbency.  If I wear cloth diapers 60”squares to bed I will fold the first one in a kite fold and the second one will be folded so it becomes a straight booster and placed in the center of the kit folded diaper. that way you’ll get a nice bulky diaper and it will take you through the night without problems. The combination will allow to put it on as tight as you want to. I really prefer a snug fit it helps to avoid leaks. I top it off with a snug fitting plastic pant.  

when you wash the cloth nappy do you use conditioner ? This can stop the cloth from absorbing pee quite a bit. You also have to experiment with styles of folding if its a flat square. There are so many variables it would take a book to list all of them. Best option is finding someone who uses cloth nappies to guide you through some of the pitfalls. 

• 5 months later...

There's multiple reasons why your cloth diapers could be leaking.

1. Either the diapers, plastic pants, or both are too loose. Try putting on the diaper tighter, and if that doesn't work, then you need to go a size down with one or both of them.

2. If you're using fabric softener, or detergent that has, this will coat the fibers and make them less absorbent. This could be the culprit. If you're not, it may be the detergent. Detergent with certain ingredients can coat the fibers, like fabric softener, and make them repel liquids instead of absorbing them. I suggest you use one of the detergents on this list, so long as it's rated 4 or 5 stars. https://www.diaperjungle.com/pages/detergent-chart

3. It could just be a low-quality diaper. This is the case if it's made of flannel, foam, or both. Flannel has a random organization of fibers rather than a uniform one, which makes it not always absorb well. Foam is just plain cheap and not good. If this is the case, I suggest getting a diaper in a birdseye weave, twill weave, gauze weave, or made of terry. 

I hope this helps! If you have anymore questions, feel free to DM me! 

• Like 1