LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Hospital Diaper Policies

I spent several months in the hospital once, but they did supply the diapers, and washable chucks. The diapers were bad for keeping you dry but I kept my self-changed. Twice at night they would come in to change me while I was asleep, they were very good about it, maybe it depends on the hospital your in. The only thing that got me upset was some female nurse came in with two others and pointed to me and said, "he wares diapers", and promptly left. I complained about it but they had no idea who she was and why she was there. Other wise I thought they were very kind about my problem, and made every effort to accommodate me. They even went as fare as send in students to change me so they could learn how to change a patient. One student was nervous but I joked around with her made her feel better. During these trainings they were doing, I was suppose to lay there and not do any thing to help them. I loved the young girls coming in to change me, I don’t know why but it made me feel good. I did do an oops once while one was changing me, seemed some thing came up, but the young lady just smiled and said well some ones awake today. I was glade that I was able to have such young pretty ladies come in to change me, but also was able to help them with there training too.

<!--quoteo(post=97331:date=Aug 23 2007, 04:54 AM:name=jazz42)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jazz42 @ Aug 23 2007, 04:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=97331"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->wow, yes, hospitals and bad diapers=bad memories, at one time i had been in a wreck and had been to the er. for exam, my pants had to come off for some reason, anyways the attending nurse asks why i was wearing a diaper, feeling vulnerable, i had explained that i had issues with inc. she took it off me and yes it was wet and somewhat messy, she cleans me up, comes back with not even the blue diaper you mentioned but some sort of strechy pant and a pad that goes inside, explaining to me,"we do not have those kind of diaper you wear" what? goes through my mind, am i not in a hospital. after the exam and being allowed to put my clothes back on trying to keep this rediculous thing up, I have no idea what it was and hope never to find out , but yea, 10 bucks or more for "medical supply" i either had the most crappy hospital or most crappy diaper, not sure, but i think that doctors and nurses need to wisen up on the issues of incontinence, and have more understanding care. I am sure that they have seen plenty of wet crappy underpants after an accident, is that ok? more understandable>Just a bad memory.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why do they ask why you're wearing a diaper? That's kinda messed up if you ask me.

I agree its really a none issue when you see some ones wearing a diaper. Ohh like your gana tell them "Im an adult baby so you gona change me?"

When I'm in the hospital and using those "bad blues," as they were called, it doesn't work very well. They absorb nothing and leak badly. I end up wetting the bed anyway. I've often said you might as well just stick a kleenex in your pants for all the protection they give. Unfortunately, this is the only kind that I could get Medicaid to pay for, so other than buying my own, that's what I'm now stuck with at home too. I'm supplementing them with Poise pads inside them, which I wear by themselves during the day. It helps some.

You don’t have to use them, the way I found I can get better ones is to go to a dermatologist and tell them the diapers your using are giving you a rash. I was able to get any kind I wanted, just tell them what kind you like, and they will write a prescription for it. Once a month I would go to the Pharmaceutical of my choice and pick up the box, not the pharmacies, the ones that tend to disabled people.

Yes hospital diapers are really poor (spell that CHEAP ).the last time i was in i couldn't even get the nurses in to change me and my wife had to drive in from home and so i had her bring me some good diapers as well.I go back to the hospital next week but will have a catheter , I will still need to be diapered for bowel leaks.It will be interesting to see what this hospital has for diapers,most of the ones around here use depends now and i go through one of those an hour

The hospital diapers are cheap but they charge premium price.

Well all i can say is that i have read what everyone has said about hospitals and diaprs,and also the fact that the NHS over here omes in for some stick,i was in hospital only a few months ago.

I was give plenty of nappies, and the nurse came in and changed me nearly every hour,they also washed me and put cream on me as well,i was honestly treated with great dignity that can be given to anyone who has incontinence.

We might not get things right in the NHS over here,but they realy do there best for you,and i cant complain one bit,for anyone who is on here from glasgow,the hspital was the western in glasgow.

Most hospitals in the US don't have things like adult diapers just sitting on a shelf in the floor stockroom. They are ordered out of the main hospital stockroom by the bag as needed and billed to the appropriate patient account...the same way you would with a catheter tray or a leg splint.

every emergency room is stocked with adult diapers, bed pads, baby diapers, catheters.... i've been to many er's, and every single one has a cupboard with these supplies... they would never not have them on hand and have to make someone suffer the indignity of waiting until diapers were ordered out of a stock room... Even my doctors office has adult and child diapers, along with bed pads in the cupboards.

It is standard procedure to have those supplies readily and easily available.... that is not to say that anyone who walks in can just ask for one... and remmeber anything the Er gives you they are going to charge you or your insurance for, and if it is not deemed medically necessary your insurance COULD make you pay them the $100 the hospital charges for one diaper....

What a nightmare!

Seriously, nobody should have to experience that.

I think when we travel we should get the numbers of those ABDLs in the area. Just in case. At least they can run to a pharmacy and get you some DEPENDS.

Stay Pampered

SoCalAB

http://socalab.250x.com

I was recently traveling for work when I became sick. By the time I made it to the Emergency Room I was running a 102+ fever.

I ended up at major medical center.

I told the nurses and doctors that i was fully incon due to an injury. When i came to the ER i was wearing Abnea X-plus and plastic pants. After a few hours in the ER I had fully used the diaper I had on and asked the nurse if there was something I could wear.

What I was brought was this flimsy blue plastic thing they called an adult diaper. It was so thin you could

hardly feel it when put on. The only ID on this diaper was on the two tapes on each side saying "wings".

Within an hour, my gurney was wet, sheets were soaked and there was a puddle growing

on the floor. I was completely out of it and didnt even know. It took the Dr coming in and stepping

in it before I was changed and cleaned up.

This isnt even the worse part. I was admitted and ended up spending four days in the hospital.

After I was taken up to a room I was told the hospital didnt have adult diapers for use in the medical

floors. I couldnt believe that a major medical center wouldnt have diapers on a medical floor. Dont

they ever have other people come in that are incon? What was I to do?

The nurse told me that they were not allowed to use diapers because paitents could get diaper rash.

The incon paitents would just have to mess themselves in bed and the nurses would clean them up.

This didnt go over with me very well. Even sick, I didnt want to lay there and mess on myself when

there are options. I had to get upset before they would work out a solution. It turns out the only two

floors that have diapers is ER and Rehab. The charge nurse was able to get a pack of the flimsy blue

diapers for me to use while I was admitted.

Needly to say, I had to be changed almost hourly to keep them from leaking and making a mess.

That part I didnt mind>>

What i cant understand is the lack of understanding of incon issues. This was a major medical center

with all the best equipment and doctors. Why did I have to get upset before I could get the diapers

I needed?

Most US hospitals buy the cheapest diapers they can get low bid. They are usually Medline Wings which are paper lined plastic cut out to fit a Standard Human. Those Medline's do come in ugly colors. Medline diapers are the commonly stocked diapers in the Veteran's Administration Hospital! Even then you have to have a doctor's order/prescription in order to get just the Medline's. To Get anything else requires the doctors to fill out a special order based on need (need being proven by abnormal Cystometry and or Rectal Manometry tests).

I spent some time in a hospital for a nasal reconstruction. It was supposed to be on an out-patient status but my doc had to so more than expected and wanted to keep me overnight. I had brought one extra Abena L4 just in case but used that after coming out of surgery since my doctor used a cath on me while I was out. They brought me those cheap blue wings diapers too, which I found were on par with depends maximum (ie they suck). At first I went through one every half hour but the nurse complained I was going too often (well duh I was hooked up to an IV on fast drip). Eventually I only had to change every hour and was woke up to change several times that night (which I always did myself).

All said I probably went though two dozen wings when only 4 or 5 Abenas would have been plenty. I couldn't get them to understand an Abena (or Molicare) would have been more effective and cost less overall. It was as frustrating as having to change beds twice due to leaks!

• 1 year later...

.To start I have CP.when I was 8 years old I was in the hospital for surgery I had a bar holding my legs open one day I messed the bed when the nurse that came in said I should be in diapers but when she left she didn't come back so I staid bare the hole time even at 8 yrs. I didn't need every one looking at me

• 1 month later...

Im going to getting hip replacement done soon.Dose anyone know if your allowed to bring your own? Our hospital uses the cheap wings too.

With this kind of post-Op immobility, the chances are that they will want to cath you and/or or use bedchucks instead :( You should ask the primary care Doctor who will be taking care of you and if they OK it, check with the Head Nurse in the recovery ward to find out how they want to handle this. You'll need someone to bring the better diapers to your post-op room and have them also inform the Nurse's station staff of the (hopefully) approved procedural change ;) BTW be sure you don't get the metal-on-metal hip joint that's in the news for failing so badly <_< There are better ones available and even if your insurance won't pay for them and you have to pay the difference, you need to get the best kind or you will be going back for the same reason in 5-10 years. I've had too many friends go through that nightmare and you really don't need that :o

Bettypooh

Hello Bettypooh thanks for the reply. I have medicare for my insurance. My wife wants me to wait till i can't stop the pain from my hip with pain meds before i decide to get it done. She also knows folks who have theres done every 5-10 years.Ill ask what one my insurance will cover and find out the difference in prices for an upgrade. If they don't allow me to use my diapers ill opt for the cath. The main reason i want the better ones is so i wont have to be moved for changes as often. Right now my hip mostly bothers me at the end of the day.

I recently became incontinent had a doc want to push pulls on me that's. A different topic. But on hospital I found myself in er few times this year and when I was wet I asked For a diaper on several occations and For the blue diapers the Nurse went to her station and blabed that I asked For a diaper and all the staff laughed like I wasn't. There. This happened all three times.

I recently became incontinent had a doc want to push pulls on me that's. A different topic. But on hospital I found myself in er few times this year and when I was wet I asked For a diaper on several occations and For the blue diapers the Nurse went to her station and blabed that I asked For a diaper and all the staff laughed like I wasn't. There. This happened all three times.

Al, Medicaid won't allow you to upgrade- what you'll want to do is work a deal with the surgeon directly for that. It's not exactly legal but since Medicaid uses the cheapest everything they can, you don't want one of their hips or you too will be going back every 5 years :bash: Another option is to sign on to a research program about replacement hips- that will take several years so if you go that way start the process now B) If you can't 'work the system' then do as your wife says- put this off as long as you can, because they can only do so many replacements- after that point you're stuck for the rest of your life. It's been some years now but I did research on this for my best friend (RIP) who needed this in a bad way but never got it :( Had he lasted a few more years they would have gotten to him through his research program which was being done at a local University. Sadly they have closed that program so I can't tell you where to look, only that it's worth looking. His Mom had one hip done 3 times and the other twice, all through Medicaid so I know whereof I speak. I know your pain and I wish you all the luck and help you can get :wub:

Bettypooh

I have medicare not medicade. do they also use the cheapest ones? Ps i have an appt about getting an tens machine to help with the pain. Thanks for the tip about research programs too.

Wow, the last time I was in a hospital was like ummm half a year ago or a little more and I was just miserable in the emergency room, eventually as the hours of the night went on my diaper utterly filled, and unlike when i normally go out, I hadn't brought my diaper bad or even a bottle bag (i use as a small diaper bag). I didn't know what to do when I spotted a nurse, he quickly got me a diaper which seemed to be an unbranded TENA Super, it was even green. I was so grateful I didn't think to ask for another, but I did get another fresh one to wear on the way home before I left in the morning.

With what people pay to be in hospitals, they should have Bambinos and Dry 24/7s at the very least and just give you a case of them when you check in with any kind of pre-existing IC problem. I am shocked at how many people here said that hospital diapers are terrable. There is just no excuse on the part of the medical facilities.

Last year i became very sick and was hospitalized.I was in the intensive care unit and almost died.They had me on a respirator because i couldnt breathe.I couldnt control any of my bodily functions so they put chux under me and cleaned me up as needed.One night they tried to put a condom catheter on me but they use the cheap ones and it just came off.The next night they put a foley catheter in me but still no diaper.I asked the nurse and she said they dont use them.I couldnt beleive it.One night a nice nurse fashioned a diape with a towel and a chux which helped a little.she said its stupid that they dont have diapers for patients that had that kind of problem.I was so loaded up with fentanyl i couldnt do anything.I ended up in there for over a month and when i got out i had to go to an assisted living home.They had diapers and diapered me and chanaged me when i was wet or messy.I wasnt able to walk still and was bedridden for many months till i was able to walk a bit.I am doing better now and wear a diaper most of the time.Its hard to hide the noise and i hate the new diapers with the cloth like outer cover.Now i wear babbino diapers and just love them.sometimes i have trouble going pee and have to use a catheter.I also have trouble going poo poo because i take pain medicine and it makes me so i cant go.I have to have an enema to go or a suppository.

• 4 years later...

I am about to go to hospital for major foot surgery this Sunday on the 11th of December and will be under antithetic gas the whole time, I don't live in the U.S. as I am living in N.W England.

I did ask at the pre surgery appointment wever or not I would need to wear diapers but they seid no, however given the fact that I am a bad bedwetter I feel that I had better not take any chances and buy some diapers on ebay.co.uk to arrive this Thursday.

I am thinking of ordering a pack of Tykabels Overnights/waddlers and I know of a supplier that has them at a reduced price of