LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Hospital Diaper Policies

Generally, during surgery they will insert a catheter to collect any urine due to a need for the entire room to be as sterile as they can make it, so don';t be surprised if you wake up without a diaper on. They generally want you to be wearing only the hospital gown when entering surgery, it would be best that you ask about what they want you to do ahead of time ;)

Bettypooh

• 1 month later...

I spent six days hospitalized about a year and a half ago. I had been running a fever for almost two weeks and had been to my doctor several times. Finally she ordered a Cat Scan which showed that my apendix had perforated and burst. It was pointing up rather than down and wasn't causing me much pain. I have a high tolerance for pain. They did an emergency surgery on me that same evening and I spent the next six days hospitalized. When I went in I was wearing a true fit Depends which I wear most of the time when I am out in public. My personal physician had informed the hospital that I was incontinent. When I awoke after surgery I had expected to have a cath but instead I had a thin disposable diaper that had a yellow plastic backing. I was not able to change myself for the first three days. The nurse's aids would change me every two hours. I had an IV with a high drip rate which made me pee more often than usual. They only had to change my bedding due to me leaking once. I can't complain about the care I received. The cheap diapers did what they were designed to do as long as they were changed on a regular two hour schedule. I spent the next six weeks recouping at home before heading back to work.

I guess that if you have a 24 hr personal care giver, changing a diaper every 2 hrs is acceptable. From my perspective, that would make for a rough night's sleep, but having been in similar situation, understand that when you are this ill, you will be checked for vitals at least this often so what's the difference if they also take care of the back end at same time?

The larger point for this group, is that there are good diapers that will carry you through the night without concern, and there are the others, that really are only good for about 2 hrs- Great illustration of the differences!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was wearing a low capacity Kolibri diaper during surgery of my broken hand joint. The surgeon said, a cath for a woman is unusual for this type of surgery. It woud be different, if the location would be closer to the lower body. Hospitals use low capacity diapers and change more often, when you are unable to chage yourself.

• 5 weeks later...

Cleveland Clinic uses those cheap blue diapers and matching cheap blue disposable mats in their urology department on the main campus. For those or not familiar with Cleveland Clinic they have locations in Nevada, Florida, Ohio, Canada Abu Dhabi and several other places throughout the world. From my experiences emergency rooms and long hospital stays they would rather insert a catheter then issue incontinence briefs. This is just my experience of Ohio hospitals it may be different in other states in the United States.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

First, let me say my heart goes out to all of you that have suffered the "no diapers in hospital" rule. I just spent 12 hours in the er with my 85 year old father. He requested a diaper and was told they didn't have them.So he laid in his urine soaked diaper for 12 hours. They handed him a pad, but unless he wore tighty whities, there was no way he could use it.My poor father was so humiliated. I'm almost sure that at least 50% of the people in the hospital are in so much pain, or can't get to the bathroom for whatever reason, and could really use a diaper. I would think that it would save the hospital time and money to use them. It just doesn't make any sense to me. I saw a post that claimed the hospitals don't use them because of diaper rash. REALLY!!!!!!!!

18 hours ago, dudie sipe said:

First, let me say my heart goes out to all of you that have suffered the "no diapers in hospital" rule. I just spent 12 hours in the er with my 85 year old father. He requested a diaper and was told they didn't have them.So he laid in his urine soaked diaper for 12 hours. They handed him a pad, but unless he wore tighty whities, there was no way he could use it.My poor father was so humiliated. I'm almost sure that at least 50% of the people in the hospital are in so much pain, or can't get to the bathroom for whatever reason, and could really use a diaper. I would think that it would save the hospital time and money to use them. It just doesn't make any sense to me. I saw a post that claimed the hospitals don't use them because of diaper rash. REALLY!!!!!!!!

That is 100% abuse and neglect on the the hospital's and on the staff's. Not to mention a malpractice lawsuit. In Ohio one only has 1.5yrs to file a malpractice lawsuit due to statutes of limitations but neglect and abuse are criminal lawsuits so the statute of limitations is longer. Best advice is to contact a lawyer as suggested by rustypins and agreed by deewet. If you do decide to contact a lawyer do not forget to also tell them about your fathers mental anguish and/or pain and suffering that your father suffered by the incident or any medical treatment caused by them leaving him in a soiled(includes both wet and/or "messy") diaper(nappy) the more documentation that you have the better. If you have yet to obtain those records do not mention any kind of legal action as common practice is to firewall and wait for a court order or subpoena for records regarding this incidence.

I should add this is from my personal experience as I am not a lawyer.

It is actually against federal law in the United states to leave an indwelling catheter in place, an over whelming 92% of all hospital acquired infections were traced to Foley catheters ,so unless they need exact input and output readings fur to your health , they have to discontinue Foley use as soon as possible, they risk being charged with neglect and abuse if they keep you cathed for there convienece, also since a hospital acquired infection is there fault they can not bill you or your insurance for the care to treat the infection , that's money they lose .
My last hospitalization they ran large bags of IV fluids into me wide open , and changed my diaper and bedding every half hour for a week, poor nurses !

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

During my last trip to hospital for my foot surgery which went well thank goodness, I did not have to wear a diaper because I was put under before the operation although in future if I have any major surgery which I hope not to although one can't rule it out.

Then yes I would ask the nurse or orderly if I could wear a diaper for my comfort and protection if It was going to take more than 3 hours although I would leave this decision to the doctors.

I would also inform them of the fact I am incontinent and it would be best if I could wear a diaper if possible.

• 1 month later...

I didn't really understand this "no diapers" in the hospital rule. Ive been in the hospital a few times in recent years and at least in the ward or department where Ive been most recently admitted diapers are allowed for any patient who needs or requests them. They had stacks of them in every room. Because lots of patients have mobility problems one nurse told me they prefered patients to use diapers rather than fall trying to get to the bathroom on their own. The hospital beds all had wetting protection as well. Maybe its based on why your admitted to hospital and what kind of ward your in?

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I am in the hospital several times a year due to medical needs and treatment. I'm sedated most of the time. Severe pain and being  given pain meds causes me to wet  unknowingly. I've always been give the choice of catherization  or diapers. Of course I always chose diapers.They are very good professionals and feels great to changed. I did tell the I wear them at home. They have even gone as far as doubling them up  at night.

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is an old post, but there are some newer responses, so I am going to answer. I am a nurse, and I am SO sorry this happened to you. It obviously needs to change. But I am also going to play a little bit of devils advocate. Diapers SHOULD be available for those who need them. The reason they ARENT available is actually to prevent abuse and neglect of patients, and to keep nurses and CNAs from diapering people who don't need them because staff is overworked and may not get to you fast enough. Its a difficult and fine line to walk. Hospitals banned diapers in many instances because of abuse and neglect. What they SHOULD have done is increased staff to allow nurses and cnas to properly care for their patients and eliminate bad staff. They were trying to protect the many, without thinking of those who are truly incontinent. Its crap and as with so many other things its almost always about saving money.

Not all hospitals have no-diaper policies. I recently had knee replacement surgery, was in hospital for 8 days, and wore diapers the whole time. The first three days the nurses or nurses aids changed me. After that, I was able to change myself. 

• 3 months later...
On 12/7/2016 at 5:42 AM, Bettypooh said:

Generally, during surgery they will insert a catheter to collect any urine due to a need for the entire room to be as sterile as they can make it, so don';t be surprised if you wake up without a diaper on. They generally want you to be wearing only the hospital gown when entering surgery, it would be best that you ask about what they want you to do ahead of time ;)

Bettypooh

Not sure true!  When I had my Gallbladder out I was wearing a diaper and when I came too after it the diaper was on and there was some brown liquid stain that was on the diaper it seems they shaved me and put the stuff to sterilize the area.  and the diaper was still on and I pissed the nurse off as I could not pee and each time I went into the restroom to pee it still did not come out.  She threatened me with a cath and well Mr wee wee woke up and went.  When she seen the diaper she said if you had that on why did you go in the bathroom instead of using the diaper?  I do not remember my response to her.

9 hours ago, DiaperboyEddie12 said:

I pissed the nurse off as I could not pee and each time I went into the restroom to pee it still did not come out.   When she seen the diaper she said if you had that on why did you go in the bathroom instead of using the diaper? 

You should have pulled a Forrest Gump on her and said, "Because you told me to Drill Sargent".  :roflmao:

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:37 AM, DiaperboyEddie12 said:

Not sure true!  When I had my Gallbladder out I was wearing a diaper and when I came too after it the diaper was on and there was some brown liquid stain that was on the diaper it seems they shaved me and put the stuff to sterilize the area.  and the diaper was still on and I pissed the nurse off as I could not pee and each time I went into the restroom to pee it still did not come out.  She threatened me with a cath and well Mr wee wee woke up and went.  When she seen the diaper she said if you had that on why did you go in the bathroom instead of using the diaper?  I do not remember my response to her.

same thing happened to me a couple of yrs ago went in for gallbladder removal , or should say partial as they ran out of time , that night the staff nurse kept pestering me to go to bathroom  about 3 times but nothing so she took it upon herself that the only action would be catheter trouble being as I thought I would just be in overnight turned out I was in there for 6 weeks due to complications so did not pack enough underwear , 

turned out the doctor was a bit surprised to see and asked me why I had a catheter my reply was staff nurse done it last night , but the next night I laid asleep but to find out that while turning I had accidently pulled the end piece off so un intentionally had a wet bed .