LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Hospital Diaper Policies

• 1 month later...

Just an Update, :huh:

I just received a letter from the hospital. It was just short of a standard form letter.

"we are sorry for the inconvenience you had while visiting our hospital", " we will be

looking at our procedures to see if any changes are needed" ect.....

Your standard, "thats nice, have a pleasant day, now go away" answer......

The funny part is that is showed up in the mail, the same day the $13,000 bill did.

Hows that for timing.

The one item I did not see on the bill, was the pack of crappy diapers they gave

me to use. I guess thats the door prize. Complain and your diapers are free??

So, My advice to anyone.. Take your own diapers with you anytime you go to a

hospital.

Oh my god! I can't believe they make crappy diapers. I was in hospital recently and they used Attends, and they had mountains of them in the supply cupboard. I was amazed!

I'm also not incontinent and was in with pneumonia, so I wasn't really in a situation that I needed to be diapered. However, I did purposefully wet myself at night time to see what would happen. All I got was a blue square to put on my bed. Which was kind of cool :)

Guest dodgedart

a catheter is an invasive procedure and they wont usually do it without really good cause,if you go to a nuerology ward with stroke patients they are in diapers and not cathed.i used cathes for 9 yrs and had lots of infections from them and this is something all health professionals are concerned with.the diapers they supply have no barriers in them and are just as useless for bowel movements as they are for peeing

I agree with this.

But also have to say i was placed by my doctor into the hopsital during a visit.

I showed up at the docs office they looked at me and had me addmitted.

I was in for 4 days and 3 nights.When i got into the room{first night thought it would just be an over night stay}I told them i needed Diapers that I used them at night for bed wetting! They said ok,checked and said they did not have any in my size. I was given meds fell alspeep and whoke up in a wet bed. Guess they thought it was just a fluke since i was so sick! Anyway they changed the bed and gave me a pad onto top the sheets!

Meen time my wife was getting the kids from school helped them with home work ect! Then she brought them to my dads to be looked after so she could be with me. I called her and said she needed to get me some but was far from home so she picked up what she could in my size. She was also thinking hey he's in the hospital they should be taking care of me well since i was in Gaurded Condition! At this point "Only place open was the drug store next to the hospital" and getting some from home was not an option To far to go! She came back with Boys XL huggies Goodnites up tp 125 pounds.

I am 118 so they worked fine. since i was sleeping plenty during the day but woke up every 30 min to be checked out,since I was in guarded condition.

So there I am in a hospital a Nurse cames in starts checking me over 100% , Then she see's I am in Diapers that have little cars on them.I will never forget how shocked she was!I told her You do not have any in my size and this is all My wife could get me at short notice!

I figured she would have told the others and had a good laff on me! A few other nurses acted kinda suprized but never said anything! Yea and I felt funny the whole time but they worked!So i used them what else could i do.

When I'm in the hospital and using those "bad blues," as they were called, it doesn't work very well. They absorb nothing and leak badly. I end up wetting the bed anyway. I've often said you might as well just stick a kleenex in your pants for all the protection they give. Unfortunately, this is the only kind that I could get Medicaid to pay for, so other than buying my own, that's what I'm now stuck with at home too. I'm supplementing them with Poise pads inside them, which I wear by themselves during the day. It helps some.

Guest dodgedart

Ahhhhh good ol' social welfare system.

I've only had to spend one night in the hospital for what they thought was a ruptured appendix (it was just an enlarged lymph knod). And the bill I got was $0.00.

Us Canadians don't have much to brag about so I just had to rub it in. :angel_not:

And I believe the diapers used in Canadian hospitals are either Medline or Kendalls I'm not sure, I only saw them in the hall way but they are pretty thick

You say they have Kendalls that is who makes the blue wings the org thread starter had on. Thats what most hospitals have.....

I recently was in the hospital for a back surgery second one is as many years on teh same exact disk soi kind ok knew what to expect the hosptial was told well in advance that i would be in diapers that they we fine with the diapers they had were the kenday simplicity the 1 tape per side they leaked all over the place and we hoard the nurse and aids we not offering to change me and checking me except when they cam in to do vital i was always calling them to come help me get changed it took them 2 hours to bringme soem wipes and periwash just so i could attempt to change my self welcome to state funder medical systems

• 3 months later...

this must be a brit vs american thing........here in the old country we have catheters....and I can asure everybody they are not pleasant. That deals with that end as for the other ...well you just do it !!so to speak and the nurses clear it up. You only get diapers or nappies tena slip plus as an out patient.

Reason for the catheters is to collect and measure samples and check liquid in and out. Now having a permanant cathether fitted because I was having to self catheterise up to 5 times a day.......my willy got sore!!!! now I get infections. I was a simple AB lover once, now its for real......so be care for what you wish for all you ABs and sympathy to all catheters sufferers.

wow, yes, hospitals and bad diapers=bad memories, at one time i had been in a wreck and had been to the er. for exam, my pants had to come off for some reason, anyways the attending nurse asks why i was wearing a diaper, feeling vulnerable, i had explained that i had issues with inc. she took it off me and yes it was wet and somewhat messy, she cleans me up, comes back with not even the blue diaper you mentioned but some sort of strechy pant and a pad that goes inside, explaining to me,"we do not have those kind of diaper you wear" what? goes through my mind, am i not in a hospital. after the exam and being allowed to put my clothes back on trying to keep this rediculous thing up, I have no idea what it was and hope never to find out , but yea, 10 bucks or more for "medical supply" i either had the most crappy hospital or most crappy diaper, not sure, but i think that doctors and nurses need to wisen up on the issues of incontinence, and have more understanding care. I am sure that they have seen plenty of wet crappy underpants after an accident, is that ok? more understandable>Just a bad memory.

wow, yes, hospitals and bad diapers=bad memories, at one time i had been in a wreck and had been to the er. for exam, my pants had to come off for some reason, anyways the attending nurse asks why i was wearing a diaper, feeling vulnerable, i had explained that i had issues with inc. she took it off me and yes it was wet and somewhat messy, she cleans me up, comes back with not even the blue diaper you mentioned but some sort of strechy pant and a pad that goes inside, explaining to me,"we do not have those kind of diaper you wear" what? goes through my mind, am i not in a hospital. after the exam and being allowed to put my clothes back on trying to keep this rediculous thing up, I have no idea what it was and hope never to find out , but yea, 10 bucks or more for "medical supply" i either had the most crappy hospital or most crappy diaper, not sure, but i think that doctors and nurses need to wisen up on the issues of incontinence, and have more understanding care. I am sure that they have seen plenty of wet crappy underpants after an accident, is that ok? more understandable>Just a bad memory.

Why do they ask why you're wearing a diaper? That's kinda messed up if you ask me.

It is sad that some hospitals are insensitive to inc. individuals, and may only use those lousy blue diapers. When my dad was in a nursing home, before passing, they used those blues as well. Pitiful. I can see a reason for not using diapers in a hospital, in order to measure output. But there has to be some reasoning involved as well.

Guest diamondback688

There is a reason behind it, they are very very cheap. Though they really don't factor in how many they need to use in compairison to lets say Abri Form. They are just cheaper by the bulk and that's how the think they are winning. Unless some Human Humane Society steps forward and tells them other wise I doubt policy/product will change.

I think most "reasoning" as people call it dwindles down to cost up front of a product.

its not that they are cheap, its that they want to make money.

• 2 weeks later...

You want one on how screwed up hospitals are. When I got stupid and drank way too much(alcohol poisoning, should have been in a coma, if not dead), I got admitted to the ER. I don't remember much from that night, but one thing that I do remember is that when I needed to urinate, there solution was to attempt to put a cath in me)I had heard of them before and I had heard that they are very painful). Sober I would have argued it civilly, still drunk though, I attacked the guy who was trying to insert it. There reasoning they gave me when I sobered up was to "Keep me from hitting my head". In other words they didn't want me to walk/stumble 5 feet, do what I needed to, and then lay back down.

What was learned:

1) The ER makes no sense with how they treat you

2) Someone out there loves to shove caths in people, even when the can is 5 feet away

3) next time I get stupid drunk, I'll be sure to pass out somewhere where the guys around me won't panic

4) They charge way too much for watching to make sure that I sobered up(thought that just took time, but who am I to argue with health professional)

The only other thing that I remember from that night was the first beer. That and the revelation that some hospital staff are idiots when it comes to respecting a persons wishes.

Sorry, but if you were drunk enough to be in the ER, then they were right to treat you how they did. How can you know that you wouldn't have fallen down trying to get to the toilet? What if there was another reason, like they wanted to run an analysis of your urine. It didn't sound like you were in your right mind to be deciding on your own health care. Maybe next time you "get drunk" you should find some friends that won't let you GET to the passing out point. Better yet, stop drinking, since you obviously can't control yourself!

The old excuse of having to measure output is bull as well.

When I am being treated by my Dr back in WA they do output calculations

by the weight of the dirty diaper. When I was having a bunch of tests, I had

to track output over about a week. They gave me a jug to measure with, but as

I am fully incon and most times dont even know I am passing fluid they told me

to weight each diaper and record it. Nobody seemed to have an issue with it.

I just turned in the chart at the end of the week, they calculated the output and

life went on. :drinks_wine:

It comes down to standing up for your rights. The worse part is that you have to

fight for your rights in the worst time. The result of this topic is a classic

example.

:wacko:

When my grandmother was in the hospital in some of her final days, I grabbed a few packs of Molicares and privately gave them to the nurse that was with her until the end, and I didn't ask or know if she used them, but I couldn't stand the idea of Hospital Diapers at this point, I feel bad for all those without people on the inside track.

I must be loosing the plot here!!!!!.......who the hell wants to measure output by weighing a dirty diaper!!!!!....really must be a US thing.

Most patients in the Uk are fitted with an indwelling cath.....then samples or output can be measured and tested ....thats on the wards where walking or mobility is an issue......but since my bladder is totally shagged ...but thats another story......the incon dept or ward I wear tena slips in hostiptal plus the cath ...and they prescribe them and issue them to me at my home...the reason I leak around the cath amongst other things like spasm

I would think also there are some people how dont want to wear diapers.......I suppose one answer is ask and if you dont get what you want ...ask if it would be ok to bring in want to are used to

I must be loosing the plot here!!!!!.......who the hell wants to measure output by weighing a dirty diaper!!!!!....really must be a US thing.

Most patients in the Uk are fitted with an indwelling cath.....then samples or output can be measured and tested

That is common here as well, for patients in ICU. But an indwelling catheter can be dangerous and lead to infection. "Nursing staff convenience is not a reason for catheterization".

Normally diapers are only used in long-term care facilities. Weighing a known sample diaper against a used diaper is a common way to measure output in pediatrics floors. And it may be an excuse to use the hospital-issued diapers at some facilities...I don't know about that. But I do know there are reasons to use catheters, and reasons to use diapers. It depends on the patient and the condition.

Sadly, it also depends on the hospital.

And, sometimes patients are cath'd just to keep nurses from having to empty bedpans.

I would think also there are some people how dont want to wear diapers.......I suppose one answer is ask and if you dont get what you want ...ask if it would be ok to bring in want to are used to

I think with proper communication, this would never be a problem. The problem was probably getting them in the emergency room, which is how this thread was started. Most hospitals in the US don't have things like adult diapers just sitting on a shelf in the floor stockroom. They are ordered out of the main hospital stockroom by the bag as needed and billed to the appropriate patient account...the same way you would with a catheter tray or a leg splint. I suspect that was the problem in this case. An MD needed to write an order and get the system in-gear.

I would take my own anyway. My insurance does not provide them, though I can purchase them tax-free.

I could probably fight to get them paid for by my health insurance, but as they already pay over $60K for my treatments every year, I'm not going to make a fuss.

sarahjane....what a sensible reply .....at last!!!!!.....I agree totally with everything you said. Indwelling caths are used all the time here in the uk...well in my experiance....and only fitted by a doctor....after a local gel...which is probably the worse part of it.......Yes you are right about infections also.

And your final statememt is the most sensible......take your own.......there is nothing the staff havent seen before and providing you behave apropriately then respect should be a two way street.

Nurses I have found are generally a kind and understanding bunch of people......and will go out of their way to help and accomodate most wishes where they can.

sarahjane....what a sensible reply .....at last!!!!!

One of the problems with online sites like this is that you get:

1. A lot of people telling stories that they claim to be true, but are actually their fantasies.
  2. Many people here don't actually have a lot of medical experience, so they base their statements on assumptions and television shows.
  3. For some, being mistreated or bullied by people in control (mothers, babysitters, nurses) is part of that fantasy. They want to be ashamed and dressed-down in front of others. So when they post, they discuss such experiences.
  4. There is the "online effect", where people jump to conclusions and go off half-cocked.
  5. Plus, I know from experience when I was a health-care-provider that there are some folks who go into a medical facility and claim medical problems in order to be embarrassed or "caught". We had a woman who came in complaining that she had fallen and was in pelvic pain. She was acting a bit odd, and when the pelvis x-rayed we discovered that she had a penis. She really wanted a pelvic exam so she could be "found out" and "caught". I suspect some people here may have been trying to get a thrill out of it all, and that is part of the problem.
  6. Also, sadly, some medical staff suffer from the "you don't look sick" problem, and may not treat patients properly when they truly do not understand what is going on. This is often made worse by poor communication from the patient.
.....I agree totally with everything you said. Indwelling caths are used all the time here in the uk...well in my experiance....and only fitted by a doctor....after a local gel...which is probably the worse part of it.......Yes you are right about infections also.

Here catheters are usually inserted by a nurse, though in patients with urological or anatomical problems I think they are often inserted by physicians.

Nurses I have found are generally a kind an understanding bunch of people......and will go out of their way to help and accomodate most wishes where they can.

Most nurses are great. A good nurse is worth her weight in gold.

A poor nurse can be a pain.

I've only had a couple bad nurses, but a bad nurse is even worse than a bad doctor (a good nurse can save you from a bad doctor, but who saves you from a bad nurse?). I had one that was the worst IV stick I've ever had, and she must have done me 20 times. And I am the world's easiest patient to stick...I have fantastic veins. She was an older nurse as well; I'll forgive people who are still learning.

One nurse I worked with was so bad that I would find another nurse on the floor and ask her to keep an eye on certain patients belonging to bad-nurse. I was worried she would mess them up. But most bad nurses are not mean, just not very skilled. Like bad doctors.

I had one really bad "nurse" chew me out in front of a room full of patients. Without going into details (because I don't want to relive it), it would have been the fantasy of a lot of people here. She was not aware of the full-details of incontinence, but I had gone in to pick up some records (my doctor had suddenly left) and she decided to tell me that it was all in my head and I had been wasting their time, including revealing some very personal details about my illness. Imagine being in the middle of a room full of people with a nurse yelling about your diarrhea, and telling you that everyone has accidents with diarrhea sometimes, and I was wasting her time by coming in and allowing a doctor to order a colonoscopy.

But when she was about done, I realized she was not even a nurse, but a medical assistant with less training than me. She was also younger, and (at the time I had just finished pre-med) I realized she could not have had as much experience as I had either. I filed

complaints all the way up to the very person in charge of the hospital chain, and have not been back to any of their facilities since. I used to have the apology letter pinned to my wall.

So, it's also possible that some of these "problem nurses" are not even nurses....

• Thanks 1

again sarahjane I cant argue with you.....a good nurse or a good doctor are worth their weight in gold......but it only takes one to ruin it......howeverI have always written letters of thanks and graditude when apropriate...and by the same time I have written letters of complaint.

The internet is a powerful weapon and sometimes ...well most of the time I/you know more a the specific problem than they do. I have had 6 consultants look at my case and in the end I found out myself ...all because each was looking at just there area only....gave me great pleasure in saying "blow it out ya ass fat boy".......it may also help that on a professional I am level or indeed higher in the rat race...also of and age when I can challenge their rudness or comments.

At the end of the day you are paying their salary for the nurse or doctor and for the most part they can literally bury their mistakes.....we cant.

As an off beat remark....in the Uk we have a national chain of butchers called dewhursts.....I often asked if they trained there of knew the "old boy" personaly. After tree rectual exams by 3 differant people in as many minuites I asked is this a form of masonic hand shake that I wasnt aware off and what lodge idid they belong too....that shut them up.

As for nurses just ask that its the arsey one who gets to change your sheets or pan......brings them down with a bump too!!

I know this has been off topic sarahjane.......seems we share alot in common with these numbties wherever they are

xxx

Yeah, I know it's a bit off-topic. But then most of this thread has been off-topic, so at least we're consistent.

Re-reading my posts, I might come off wrong to some people on some things. I don't want to be mean about the AB/DL crowds. Nothing against anyone, and if people get off on the "surrendering control" issue that's their business. There's nothing wrong with that!

Where I have a problem is when they act this out in real life with unwitting subjects. I've mentioned this here before...but this is done by a small minority of the AB/DL crowd, I'm sure.

However, a lot more come here to post their fantasies--again this is fine--except when they come into the incontinence folders and post their fantasies as fact. It gives a lot of people the wrong idea. Over time, I've learned to spot these posts. Sometimes I am fooled, but not often anymore. But a lot of people take them seriously, and then this causes rumors and stories to build.

The internet is a powerful weapon and sometimes ...well most of the time I/you know more a the specific problem than they do. I have had 6 consultants look at my case and in the end I found out myself

I had doctors tell me for years that it was all in my head. One without even examining me. Had he checked, he would have found some obvious damage that would have been specific to this diagnosis. Instead, by the time a doctor did check the damage had healed and it added years of suffering for me.

After tree rectual exams by 3 differant people in as many minuites I asked is this a form of masonic hand shake that I wasnt aware off and what lodge idid they belong too....that shut them up.

Ugh. There were times when I was so sick that I really needed a rectal exam, but was too ashamed to ask for one. Now that I've been diagnosed, I do my best to avoid that sort of thing. The colonoscopies are bad enough. I don't need anything else in my rear.

As for nurses just ask that its the arsey one who gets to change your sheets or pan

Thankfully I've been lucky enough to have usually had good nurses when I've been dealing with incontinence. I've had bad experiences with x-ray techs and doctors more often.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Sorry you went through such an awful experience.

When I had my blood clots/stroke I was in icu for about 5 days. At first it was a cath, they put it in when i was in the ER after they said that I was going to be transfered to ICU. After a couple days they went from the cath to diapers. I stayed wet but I didnt really realize what was going on till later. I just couldnt understand why I was 'sweating' so much. Actually I was dribbling urine. This experience overall was not that bad other than it was hard to get one of the techs to come in and give me a bath. I was extreemly weak and having a lot of trouble with my co-odination. Couple of times they left a bath pan and a couple wash cloths and a towel and just left - but that was after I was transfered to regular medical floor. On the medical floor I had several layers of cloth bedpads.

Hospital stays are never fun... but I have to say that was better than my second stay at the same hospital - the first time I was treated with dignity.

The second time I had attempted suicide - I know, stupid things to do - but I was feeling like I had lost everything. I am tottally disabled at this point. Well after I got through the first couple days and was really 'waking up' I find out that although they had diapers in the supply closet, they would not give me one. They had decided somehow that I did not need them and needed to go without them. Fact is I actually do need them. I was left walking around with pee dribbling down my legs as we were forced to eat our food in the lunch room on the floor. I was able to get a streachy disposable 'panti' but it didnt have any protection so I folded up a towel and put it in there. The staff didnt realize it since we had to put our own towels in the towel bin.

Psych floors are nothing like regular medical floors. However, my sweetie brought me my diapers in almost no time so I didnt have to do this but twice. He had some trouble getting them to let me have them, but since they were not against the rules they gave in on it. The Dr did tell me he was not happy with me continuing to wear them and I told him to call my Internal medicine dr about it and he refused. Anyway, he didnt say I couldn't have what my sweetie brought me. I have no desire to ever do anything to end up back on a psych floor again. It seems to be a place where they can take anything away from you that they want to take.

Sorry you went through such an awful experience.

When I had my blood clots/stroke I was in icu for about 5 days. At first it was a cath, they put it in when i was in the ER after they said that I was going to be transfered to ICU. After a couple days they went from the cath to diapers. I stayed wet but I didnt really realize what was going on till later. I just couldnt understand why I was 'sweating' so much. Actually I was dribbling urine. This experience overall was not that bad other than it was hard to get one of the techs to come in and give me a bath. I was extreemly weak and having a lot of trouble with my co-odination. Couple of times they left a bath pan and a couple wash cloths and a towel and just left - but that was after I was transfered to regular medical floor. On the medical floor I had several layers of cloth bedpads.

Hospital stays are never fun... but I have to say that was better than my second stay at the same hospital - the first time I was treated with dignity.

The second time I had attempted suicide - I know, stupid things to do - but I was feeling like I had lost everything. I am tottally disabled at this point. Well after I got through the first couple days and was really 'waking up' I find out that although they had diapers in the supply closet, they would not give me one. They had decided somehow that I did not need them and needed to go without them. Fact is I actually do need them. I was left walking around with pee dribbling down my legs as we were forced to eat our food in the lunch room on the floor. I was able to get a streachy disposable 'panti' but it didnt have any protection so I folded up a towel and put it in there. The staff didnt realize it since we had to put our own towels in the towel bin.

Psych floors are nothing like regular medical floors. However, my sweetie brought me my diapers in almost no time so I didnt have to do this but twice. He had some trouble getting them to let me have them, but since they were not against the rules they gave in on it. The Dr did tell me he was not happy with me continuing to wear them and I told him to call my Internal medicine dr about it and he refused. Anyway, he didnt say I couldn't have what my sweetie brought me. I have no desire to ever do anything to end up back on a psych floor again. It seems to be a place where they can take anything away from you that they want to take.

Aww, I hope you're feeling better nowerdays *hugs*. It's really cruel of them to have down right tried their best to deny you access to diapers, especially since you really needed them. It's a good thing that your sweetie was able to help you out.

Take care

Cat named Hat

In the early 90's after I was burned in an explosion I spent my time in 2 different hospitals between Illinois and texas. Early after my burns I was diapered for a lil over a year. But I still had bowel problems until 95 when I was 15. When that year mark was passed they decided no more diapers 24/7 even though nothing had changed. I had bladder control, but bowels were like 24/7 constipation. At the illinois hospital I was on the rehab floor for people with strokes, paralyzing injuries, etc.. They tried the adult diapers on me but they were too big and made me itchy. So they used huggies on me. They had em ordered and brought to our floor just for me, i loved em. They were the blue bag huggies for him wif lil baby wearin a baseball cap.

The total time i spent in hospitals before i went home was almost 2 years. The hospital in texas was the shriners burns institute and thats where my surgeries and intense rehab were. For years i went there at least once a year and up until I was 15 if i was having bowel problems i'd be temporarily diapered. Although the last time i was diapered before regaining control they made a makeshift diaper with sheets and bedpads.... WAYYYYY bulky, needless to say i woulda preferred a real diaper but i think somebody gave orders no diapers. Still remember all the kinds I wore, and certain bag styles.. The disney pampers--so cute, the blue huggies, the purple huggies bag... It's the ONLY thing from those days I miss, they brought me comfort when I was seperate from family and/or in pain.