LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

ER/ Hospital and diapers

Hi All,

I’m getting ready to go to the ER today and am currently needing diapers due to urinary incontinence, part of the underlying condition that requires me to go to the ER in the first place.

I’m not sure how long I will be inpatient for and though I expect several days at the very least.

Can anyone provide insight as to what I should expect to happen when I arrive in a diaper, if I will be in diapers or cathed for the duration of my stay and if I should bring my own supply, and if so how many? I’m not sure if they will even allow me to use my own or if they will require me to use the standard hospital supply diapers.

I appreciate the help!

First off, having worked as both a paramedic and in the ER, I can tell you that we've seen diapers so it's not a problem.

Hospitals are all over the place on policy once you are admitted.    These days, catheters are very much discouraged unless there's some strong reason for them (urinary blockage, etc...).    Some hospitals have no problem dealing with diapered patients.   Some, in a misguided attempt to preserve patient "dignity" are very opposed to them.     Hospital diapers are almost always the stock institutional things (McKesson or Cardinal).   If you have your own, I'd certainly bring them.     I've seen patients do that.   

The best bet is to inform your assigned nurse and/or doctors of what you need and prefer once out of the ER.

First off, having worked as both a paramedic and in the ER, I can tell you that we've seen diapers so it's not a problem.
Hospitals are all over the place on policy once you are admitted.    These days, catheters are very much discouraged unless there's some strong reason for them (urinary blockage, etc...).    Some hospitals have no problem dealing with diapered patients.   Some, in a misguided attempt to preserve patient "dignity" are very opposed to them.     Hospital diapers are almost always the stock institutional things (McKesson or Cardinal).   If you have your own, I'd certainly bring them.     I've seen patients do that.   
The best bet is to inform your assigned nurse and/or doctors of what you need and prefer once out of the ER.

Thank you! That is very helpful. I do have my own supplies. What I’m thinking is to take a few packs of them with me and leave them in the car. In a go bag have enough for a couple of days along with medication (I know not typical but last time I went to ER it took 48 hours to get my meds in and my mom had to go to my home to pick them up in the meanwhile).

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

Over the past 5 years, I’ve been in hospital for several days for surgery on three occasions (2 knee replacements and an inguinal hernia repair). I’m urinary incontinent and have worn a diaper 24/7 for many years. I highly recommend taking your own diapers with you to the hospital. Hospital diapers are not as good as the high-capacity diapers that I use on a regular basis (BetterDry and ConfiDry 24/). I also recommend that you change your own diaper whenever you are able to do so. I’ve become an expert at changing my own diapers; and the hospital personnel who have done it for me simply do not do as good a job as I do for myself.

Over the past 5 years, I’ve been in hospital for several days for surgery on three occasions (2 knee replacements and an inguinal hernia repair). I’m urinary incontinent and have worn a diaper 24/7 for many years. I highly recommend taking your own diapers with you to the hospital. Hospital diapers are not as good as the high-capacity diapers that I use on a regular basis (BetterDry and ConfiDry 24/). I also recommend that you change your own diaper whenever you are able to do so. I’ve become an expert at changing my own diapers; and the hospital personnel who have done it for me simply do not do as good a job as I do for myself.

Thank you! I’ve never been great at changing myself, cerebral palsy leaving me with one good hand. I do appreciate the heads up that if others change me to expect a subpar result.

This will be the first time I’ve been incontinent going to the hospital any tips to ensure I can use my own diapers and also not be cathed. Been there done that hate that. Lol.

Thanks again!.
  • 2 weeks later...

If you may be on an IV, bring high-quality disposables like BetterDry. Hospital disposables are terrible and will easily leak. Incontinence when on an IV is like Niagara Falls. The hospital I was at would not allow plastic pants. Which makes senes as you will be changed or have to change much more frequently. And they will get urine in them anyway which will leak out when changing if not before so there will still be a pad and/or bedding change.

It is much easier to sleep in a good diaper as they wont insist on a changing if you are ok and not leaking onto the pad. Cheap hospital diapers don't last much more than 2 hours before leaking.

A saline IV really runs through you.