LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

New to Cloth Diapers

As the title says I'm new to wearing cloth diapers.  How do you wear these in public?  They are so bulky especially with the added plastic pants.  And my plastic pants are huge, hope someone has a recommendation on how to get fitted plastic pants.  I wear plastic diapers for now.  Thanks, appreciate any comments.

I wear the Gary Active fit PUL pants over the Adult Cloth Diaper Company’s daytime Leakmaster diaper.  Personally, I use a PUL pant one size smaller than recommended. That keeps the diaper in close to my body and reduces the bulk somewhat.  While diapered, you may need to wear jeans one size larger than you would otherwise.  Wearing a polo shirt or t-shirt not tucked in will help conceal some of the bulk.  

‘Sorry, I wasn’t paying attention to gender.  My recommendations work well for males.  However, the general concepts should be applicable to females, too.  Looser clothing can help considerably when trying to conceal the bulk of a cloth diaper. 

If you spend some time browsing through this section of the forum you'll find quite a lot of information on this.  I'm in cloth nappies every day all day and don't really have any problems with it.  I'm always in a onesie, & went up a size in trousers/shorts.  Those are baggy styles anyway, so hide my nappies pretty well.

I prefer cloth diapers as well. Under normal circumstances (that is while out and about) I’ll wear a disposable and a very thin cloth diaper and plastic pant for convenience but if I had a choice I would stick with cloth 24/7. Last week I had a week off from work and I had to look after my two kids for they had spring break from school. At times like these I leave my disposable diapers in the closet and I’ll turn completely to cloth. If I have to change my diaper it can be done at home, that is the down side from cloth changing is not as convenient as a disposable and you will have the rinse them. As for clothing I do adjust them accordingly that is for sure. In general I wear loose fitting clothes and a somewhat oversized shirt or t-shirt to cover my crotch and bum and that works for me. It all comes down to finding the right thickness. If I wear just cloth I found two 60” squares do the trick for me both day and night. Further some snug fitting plastic pants, I gave it every effort to find the right ones. Loose fitting plastic pants first of all I don’t like the looks of it and if they sag your urine might collect at the lowest point. Over time I bought a wide variety of different styles and bands of plastic pants just to find the ones that work for me, some of which turned out to be a success and some where an absolute disappointment. Finding the right ones is simply a case of trial and error. The only thing I can advise you, do not buy large quantities if you are not sure. I have a tendency to do so and by now I have an interesting stack off plastic pants I do not like, will not wear either, but I hate to toss them out as well. In general I think one shouldn’t worry too much about somebody noticing your diaper unless you really overdo it. You being a woman wearing a long skirt will help cover your diaper, but even if you wear jeans one can wear cloth diapers without others noticing you wear, just wear loose fitting clothes a bit oversized as the length goes and that is it.

I just wore a cloth diaper in public for the first time. It was my night diaper, and I only wet it after I woke up so I put on my hands and ran a couple errands.

It was a daytime weight diaper with one doubler in it. Seemed pretty discrete to me,  and definitely had capacity for a lot more.

I'm still in the closet about diapers. So I haven't worn in public, and at the moment, don't feel the need to do so. I only get padded up when I'm home alone. That way I can discreetly rinse them out, and do laundry. That also means that I don't worry about what kind of clothing to wear over my diaper and PUL.

On 5/1/2019 at 9:26 AM, DLErica said:

As the title says I'm new to wearing cloth diapers.  How do you wear these in public?  They are so bulky especially with the added plastic pants.  And my plastic pants are huge, hope someone has a recommendation on how to get fitted plastic pants.  I wear plastic diapers for now.  Thanks, appreciate any comments.

Some cloth diapers have a PUL layer built in, so that the diaper is more discrete and doesn't require plastic pants.  You may want to invest in those if you haven't already.

On 5/1/2019 at 9:26 AM, DLErica said:

I wear them UNDER my jeans, same as I do with disposable diapers....   :)

(Sorry, I just could not resist...)

On 5/1/2019 at 2:26 PM, DLErica said:

how to get fitted plastic pants

If you mean pants that aren't baggy, they really won't work well with any cloth nappies, which is why they're not around much.  You need to have elastic (or something similar) round your thighs and waist that will stay there, and not leave gaps as you move around.  Baggy plastic pants make that work.  If they're too tight, your nappy will show at the edges sometimes and you'll get wicking or leaks.  Baggy doesn't mean bulky though.  Try polyurethane pants: thin and comfortable.

I have no problem with cloth diapers under my clothes, but I NEVER wear when I'm away from home, such as driving the car. I do walk around the neighborhood and wear in front of the family, but they have no idea what choice of underwear I have on. what I wear must not be bulky. I wear diaper flannel diapers with a Zorb soaker panel and terry cloth boosters and PUL waterproof pants. Under jeans, they are unnoticeable, apparently. Believe me, if my family suspected anything, they'd say something.

• Like 1