LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

24/7 wearing made my skin less tolerant of poop?

When I went 24/7 back in December, I adopted a “wet only” policy.  This was a combination of lessening the magnitude of the ask of my long-suffering spouse, recognition of the offense being in dirty diapers might cause to others and simple logistics and practicality.

I used to mess my nappies at almost every opportunity but since late last year, hardly at all…

Recently there have been just a handful of isolated cases where I have chosen to fill my pants.  This has usually been some combination of convenience and my escalating urinary urgency.  As I have become more and more accustomed to simply wetting myself rather than finding a toilet, my bladder rarely fills and any attempt to let it fill produces uncomfortable urgency quickly.  The problem is that if I also need to poop, I find it hard to pee without pooping.  This leads to me inadvertently holding pee in my bladder which quickly becomes quite uncomfortable.  I want to wet myself to relieve my bladder but I can’t because I don’t want poop in my pants.

On the odd occasion, when I’m on my own and I know that I have a scheduled change coming up shortly, I’ve said to myself “oh screw it!” and so I’ve just let it happen alongside the much-desired wee.

I don’t mind the feeling of a loaded diaper (it’s actually quite nice in a “mud between your toes” kind of way) but since being 24/7, almost ANY time in a dirty nappy guarantees some degree of skin irritation where my skin has been in contact with my poop.   It’s like I have mild sunburn on my bum AFTER showering which can be a bit awkward if that bum it tucked up inside a fresh nappy.  This includes where clean up is thorough, and within an hour or two (sometimes even less) of messing.

In the “good ol’ days” I’d lounge around in full britches for 4 – 5 hours and thinking nothing of it.  Occasionally when circumstances permitted, I’d got to bed and sleep messy.  Nothing ever happened.

Now, as I’m 24/7 (wetting), I use sudocreme at every change, I’m hairless down there and shower twice per day with a skin-friendly cleanser.  My nappy area is the cleanest it's ever been but it hasn’t helped any. 

I'm wondering that if with 24/7 nappy use, my skin physiology may have altered to make me more vulnerable to this and if so, what (if anything) I could do.  Perhaps other 24/7 wearers may have already encountered and solved this issue?

Its possible that wearing 24/7 has contributed to your skin issue if you have not aired out daily for a few hours a day (sitting on an absorbant disposable pad just in case ) also age come into play as we grow older our skin changes and its not as resilient as before.  

Im 56 and have been wearing 24/7 for over 4 years and I am now experiencing unexpected bowel moments and I agree my skin seems to become irritated shortly after the bowel moment happens I have no frame of reference to compare as my issue is new and I never stay in a soiled diaper for more then the time it takes to get to a bathroom to clean up.

Feces without any type of barrier is very caustic and will cause skin break-down. You have use Desitin, A&D or something like that to keep your skin in tact.

• Like 1

I read years ago that the combination of feces mixed with urine is more caustic and will cause diaper rash and skin break down quicker that just urine or feces alone.  Maybe by the time you have decided to load up your diaper you have been sitting in a very wet or soaked diaper for several hours causing your skin to be very wet from your urine.  By adding your mess to your urine soaked skin, it may be making your skin break down sooner from the combination of the two of them, especially if your skin may have become unoticably sensitive due to wearing and wetting 24/7.

Thanks all.  I'm not planning on regular messy nappies, it's just been a very occasional convenience thing so it's more of a point to ponder than a problem to solve right now.

10 hours ago, Fulldiaper said:

Feces without any type of barrier is very caustic and will cause skin break-down. You have use Desitin, A&D or something like that to keep your skin in tact.

Yes, I regularly use sudocrem which is a locally available Desitin-type product with the same active ingredients and the same use-case (diaper rash prevention/resolution).

9 hours ago, rusty pins said:

I read years ago that the combination of feces mixed with urine is more caustic and will cause diaper rash and skin break down quicker that just urine or feces alone.  Maybe by the time you have decided to load up your diaper you have been sitting in a very wet or soaked diaper for several hours causing your skin to be very wet from your urine.  By adding your mess to your urine soaked skin, it may be making your skin break down sooner from the combination of the two of them, especially if your skin may have become unoticably sensitive due to wearing and wetting 24/7.

I've read this also but a year ago, similar (or worse) diaper use cases would not have caused this problem for me.  It's a new phenomenon.

13 hours ago, Rob110 said:

Its possible that wearing 24/7 has contributed to your skin issue if you have not aired out daily for a few hours a day (sitting on an absorbant disposable pad just in case ) also age come into play as we grow older our skin changes and its not as resilient as before.  

Im 56 and have been wearing 24/7 for over 4 years and I am now experiencing unexpected bowel moments and I agree my skin seems to become irritated shortly after the bowel moment happens I have no frame of reference to compare as my issue is new and I never stay in a soiled diaper for more then the time it takes to get to a bathroom to clean up.

It *might* be an age thing but if it is, it came on rather abruptly and coincidentally with 24/7 nappy use.  I'm suspecting that repeated exposure to wet diapers has somehow changed the physiology of my skin down there.  If it is a simple age thing however, I'm wondering if I can expect a progressive onset of skin conditions if I persist with nappies - I hope not.  I've not had any significant problems in 3 months of wearing outside of transient irritation when first adapting and "sunburn" for the (fairly rare) occasions that I might be soiled instead of just wet.

I have been back in diapers now for more than five years, and counting. Wear and use them 24/7. Recently I began to poop in my diaper as well. Rather than using my muscles to hold back poop, I'd rather just let it out at first sign. (Part of my diaper training). So far my skin has not shown any signs of break down, only if I'm in a dirty diaper for many hours, do I experience a burning feeling when I wet.

As soon as I have a combination of a pee and need to mess.  I tell mt wife and I get changed as soon as possible.   My wife uses diaper cream and lotion before each diaper change to keep the skin clean and smoothe along with well groomed , no hair at all

I have had diapers rashes since going 24/7 almost 8 months ago. I do change shortly after pooping in my diaper but can go hours in a wet one with no significant skin issues, but it is vital that you use a barrier cream very generously after cleaning yourself very thoroughly or the chances of irritation are very high as I've discovered when I've not cleaned myself well enough.

5 hours ago, DaveeBEd said:

I have had diapers rashes since going 24/7 almost 8 months ago. I do change shortly after pooping in my diaper but can go hours in a wet one with no significant skin issues, but it is vital that you use a barrier cream very generously after cleaning yourself very thoroughly or the chances of irritation are very high as I've discovered when I've not cleaned myself well enough.

Thanks Davee.  I'm actually wondering if it is an habituation thing (since I do use cream and I'm very careful about cleaning since being 24/7).  I've been on vacation this week with my partner still at work so I've kind of "let this happen" quite a few times and it actually seems to be calming down somewhat.  It's like my skin eventually gets used to the idea.  As I'm back at work next week and will have lost the solitude and access-to-laundry, I will be 100% back to "wet only" though.

I have been bladder inco 26+ and bowel for about 5 .
Diaper rash really isn't a rash !
It is the mildest form of 1st degree burn.
Rash creams are less than ideal ,
There are single step products that clean moisturize and seal your skin from the acid ,pee or poop is bad ,but combined there's some really nasty acids, you can also buy dual and triple step products as well as just pure barrier cream ,when you apply it at every change there is virtually zero chance of rash/burn.

Rash creams are great to soothe minor irritation or chapped skin , your much better served by actual barrier creams ,they stay on the skin,versus Rach cream that plugs the diapers pores and can cause lack of absorbition and overflow leaks .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

On 4/26/2019 at 2:08 PM, oznl said:

Thanks Davee.  I'm actually wondering if it is an habituation thing (since I do use cream and I'm very careful about cleaning since being 24/7).  I've been on vacation this week with my partner still at work so I've kind of "let this happen" quite a few times and it actually seems to be calming down somewhat.  It's like my skin eventually gets used to the idea.  As I'm back at work next week and will have lost the solitude and access-to-laundry, I will be 100% back to "wet only" though.

I hope all is going well

38 minutes ago, DaveeBEd said:

I hope all is going well

It's fine back in  my 24/7 "wet only" world thanks.  I never got a serious rash and my skin integrity is good.  I'll write an update later this week as I'm coming up to 1 month in my second round of 24/7 taking it to 3.5 months total since Christmas.

I'd be interested to hear how continence and control is tracking for you as you're a bit ahead of me in experience and use them for everything.

The trick to protecting your skin is to make sure you have the ointment on first. It's like the old saying   "Why close the barn door after the animals have escaped" And wear it sparingly. I haven't had a rash since my college days. And please baby yourself, use mr. bubble and soak for at least half hour. 

depositphotos_32968061-stock-photo-enjoying-a-hot-bath.jpg

• Like 1
10 hours ago, rusty pins said:

By the way, when she said "Soak for at least half an hour", she didn't mean in your soaking wet diapers!

Dang!  I've been doing it wrong all along then!