LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Where does the word "dips" come from?

Hi Everyone!

I've noticed that a lot of AB/DL YouTube videos and some bloggers are now using the word "dips" as an abbreviation for diapers and I just wondered when this word first started to be used and whether it's part of established terminology that people would use for our favourite underwear in the "diaper" countries   I've never come across it in any stories, so I wondered if it's used purely by this community?  I've seen variants like "di-dees" and "dipies" in stories, but never "dips".

I've be keen to learn more about the origins of this term, and to learn what other short forms of nappy and diaper people use.

Thanks all!

Hugs xx

21 minutes ago, willnotwill said:

Never heard it unless it's just a misspelling of dipes.   I've never heard of it without a long I.

It was a new one on me too!  It was pronounced just like going for a 'dip' in a swimming pool…  I first came across with YouTubers from the UK and I wondered if it was a way of them sounding more 'international', but if it's not common in the US either, then I don't know where it's come from.

I have no idea where the term came from. The only possible explanation I can think of is that it came from Twitter because there used to be a 144 character limit, so shortening diaper to dip would have saved 3 characters. I just made that up, but it could be the term's origin.

I have heard this too, seen it on some tumblr pages. Personally I enjoy diaper/diapee a bit more, sounds more juvenile, which is part of why I enjoy ABDL in the first place

On 4/18/2019 at 11:48 AM, lil_j said:

Personally I enjoy diaper/diapee a bit more, sounds more juvenile, which is part of why I enjoy ABDL in the first place

I'm with you, diaper or diapee. I use diaper in most situations, but I say diapee when I'm little.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it has roots in the YABDL crowd over on Fetlife. I've been active for a while, but I've lurked for longer and IIRC, it was a direct response to the utterly atrocious spelling/grammar that used to infect message boards and such (I know that hasn't completely vanished, but it used to be much, much worse).

Similar targets of scorn were missives like the, "RU Poppy" or "wet/messy dippers" messages some of our finest minds would incessantly throw at people from their basement dwellings. Over time it became slang, then people figured it was as good a substitute as any to discuss in public. Hence it took on a life of its own. 

Edited by reval5
words
On 4/16/2019 at 2:52 AM, Elfy said:

Personally I hate it but I've seen quite a few using it.

I can't say it's my favourite term, but I'm getting used to it… slowly!

On 4/17/2019 at 6:33 AM, littleTomás said:

The only possible explanation I can think of is that it came from Twitter

That makes sense!  Perhaps it's a sign of my failure to be up on social media that I didn't even think about this when posting the question!

On 4/20/2019 at 9:56 PM, Stroller said:

The first time I heard "dip" was in Littlelolikat's Youtube videos.  Maybe I'll ask her where she got it from if I go up to another Edinburgh meet.

That's certainly the first place I came across it, but I've seen it elsewhere now too.  Perhaps it's a term that Littlelolikat coined herself?  Her videos are amazing and wonderful, so it could be that others have been inspired by her and started using it too. If you do get to ask her, it would be interesting to know. 

On 4/21/2019 at 2:00 AM, littleTomás said:

I say diapee when I'm little.

That's the term I'm most used to seeing online for a 'little' word for diaper.

Thanks all for your replies on this, and so sorry that it's taken me a while to get back on here to respond.

I think most of us (me included!) prefer the terms that we used when we were actually little, but it's interesting to see how language use changes over time.  It's not one of my favourite terms (and I really don't like 'babs' for baby, unless I'm talking to people from the Midlands of course), but good to clarify that it's an internet-age word, rather than a commonly used diminutive form in the US.

Thanks again!?