LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

bedwetting and high blood pressure meds.

Hi...

This topic may have been discussed around here somewhere before, but I can't find it... 

I've just been put on high blood pressure meds, (HCTZ) it's something that affects my family as we get older. I noticed it acts as a diuretic, causing more urination. Just wondered if any other bedwetters here are on high blood pressure meds... Did it increase your wetting at night? Increased wetting thru the day?  Since I'm already diapered every night, it won't be much of an adjustment for me, if it does... ( I might need thicker diapers..) Just curious what others have encountered.

When I first went on blood presure tablets I was warned one of the side effects was risk of incontinence. Can't say I noticed really as I was already wetting the bed more or less every night./

I take a couple of high blood pressure medications and I'm sure that's why sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night to go. The doctor is always on my case about my prostate, but I found out that my meds can cause frequent urination. Besides, I don't have any other prostate symptoms except an elevated BPH level. I chickened out of a more invasive exam several years ago. I told the doctor no enemas and no sticking a magnetic rod up my butt. Sometimes an exam like that can do more damage and outweighs the benefits.

Well, an update on my bedwetting and my blood pressure meds.... Yesterday was my first day on blood pressure meds, I took the once-a-day tablet about 7 p.m.  I often get diapered early in the evening, even though I actually only need diapers for  bed.  I noticed an increased frequency to urinate about 10 pm...  I mean about every 20 minutes or so, which is more often than I'm use to. When I changed out of my wet disposable diaper for my night time cloth diaper at midnight, I used two thick cotton diapers, instead of my normal one cloth diaper with a cloth booster pad.

Usually if I pee just before going to bed, I'll fall asleep before I wet during the night. However, last night I was still awake in bed when I wet my night diapers for the first time. I drifted off to sleep shortly after, and don't remember wetting again. This morning, my double diapers were MUCH wetter than my previously thinner cloth diapers. Almost to the point of leaking. So if this is an indication of how the meds will affect me, it looks like I will become a "Super Bedwetter", instead of just the "Regular Bedwetter" I've been for the last 25+ years.

I'm glad that it seems like it has not affected my daytime urination pattern... I had a 2 hour meeting first thing this morning, and I was afraid that I'd be running to the restroom every 20 minutes. But it seems like the frequent urination tapered off during the night, and I was normal today. I can see where this could really be a hassle for a "regular person" - either pee more during the day,  interrupting your routine, or pee more during the night, interrupting your sleep pattern or wetting the bed. For me, hey... I'm already a bedwetter of many years, so if I only need thicker diapers well, so be it.

i use that med for high blood pressure too.  My doc said to take it in morning or i'd be up all night peeing.  He didn't know i wet the bed anyway.  But i do take in the morning and it does increase how often i pee. 

I literally had just made the connection before I came here and saw your thread.

I suggest you read this article, specifically the part about ACE inhibitors: https://www.uspharmacist.com/article/druginduced-urinary-incontinence It explains how the meds will have a mild relaxing effect on the bladder (good if you have urge incontinence) and a relaxing effect on the sphinter (bad for stress incontinence). It seems ace inhibitors function similar to alpha blockers in the regard that they will relax the sphinter/urethra (i.e. smooth muslce) and I have noticed contribute to unconscious bedwetting, especially when used together. 

ibuprofen will cause water retention. It might be a good alternative to demopressin if you want to get rid of bedwetting. https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2017/08/14/why-was-aleve-better-than-tylenol-for-bed-wetting/

"Blocking angiotensin receptors with ACE inhibitors or angiotensin receptor blockers decreases both detrusor overactivity and urethral sphincter tone, leading to reduced urge incontinence and increased stress urinary incontinence."

After reading the article you mentioned, it seems all the more likely that I will continue wetting more during the night... I'm actually on a combo pill - Lisinopril / HCTZ.  Last night was my second night on the blood pressure meds, I took the pill about 9 pm, and was already urinating more by the time I went to bed at midnight. Again, this morning, my diapers were considerably wetter than normal. Since blood pressure meds are usually taken long term, once started, it's likely that thicker, soaked diapers will be my NEW normal. As I've been a very contented bedwetter for so many years, this will not be a problem for me!!

On the other hand, my blood pressure is now well within normal range! YEA !!

• Like 1

I take the same meds as Diapered Dave does but in morning and I do need to be close to a bathroom or diapered if I am traveling for sure.  In addition, if doing any physical activity, the urge can easily become overwhelming and dribbling or wet panties often occur prior to starting in a toilet.  I often wondered about this diuretic, but now there is proof I was right!

On 4/13/2019 at 7:56 PM, Diapered Dave said:

After reading the article you mentioned, it seems all the more likely that I will continue wetting more during the night... I'm actually on a combo pill - Lisinopril / HCTZ.  Last night was my second night on the blood pressure meds, I took the pill about 9 pm, and was already urinating more by the time I went to bed at midnight. Again, this morning, my diapers were considerably wetter than normal. Since blood pressure meds are usually taken long term, once started, it's likely that thicker, soaked diapers will be my NEW normal. As I've been a very contented bedwetter for so many years, this will not be a problem for me!!

On the other hand, my blood pressure is now well within normal range! YEA !!

I am a contented bedwetter too.

Well, the latest update to my bedwetting/blood pressure meds saga... This morning, my diaper was wet, but not as soaked as the past few days. Perhaps I was not as hydrated as other nights, so there was less urine to output. However, I have noticed increased urges to pee have been lasting into my morning hours.... And today, I had a dental appointment first thing!! I knew I had a good bit dental work to be done today, so I was pretty sure I'd be in the chair for a long time... Hmm.... To diaper, or not to diaper?!?!? Since I usually error on the side of caution, I went with a diaper. Forty minutes into the dental work, I was VERY glad I was diapered. At the 55 minute mark, I lost the battle and totally soaked my disposable with doubler pad. A lot better than leaving wet spot on his patient chair!

I have been on a 10mg low dose of lisonopril for several years. My doctor informed me that it is a diuretic when she first prescribed it for me. She was well aware that I was incontinent when she prescribed it. She also said that I should drink more water to stay hydrated. Not what you would call a win win. At least the prescription is inexpensive and it works. 

Blood pressure meds gave me stomach pain, so I stick to acupuncture, proper TCM not the western style, heavy smoker, 55, unfit, and still 120/80, last check up the nurse measured it three times as she thought the machine was faulty lol,,,

Imho the worst thing you can do with a patient with BP problems is tell them they have HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE!!!, why can't they just say, "well you're blood pressure is a little elevated this morning",,,

My aunt was one who always thought she would rather use "Herbal Tea" and other home remedy instead of taking her prescription medication, especially for things like high blood pressure and others.  Her legs and ankles were the size of coffee cans and one morning she woke up, said, "I don't feel good" and dropped dead on the floor right in front of my uncle.  She was only in her 60's.  Home remedy and herbal tea is one thing if it actually helps, but where your life is involved, I think it's better (up to a point) to trust your highly trained doctor.  Sure, I get scared when I see a commercial for some medication that has a ton of possible side effects like kidney failier and death, but that is when you have to make the choice.  Take a chance on possible bad side effects or the better probability that you will drop dead without the medication at all.