LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Suggestions on Switching to cloth at night

I’ve tried cloth on and off for years, but I’ve always found PUL pants leak around the legs and vinyl is too hot for me.

But I’m also tired of paying for so many disposables and dumping them in landfills.

I’ve tried pull ons and never been satisfied with the fit. I’ve tried Velcro and found the hook park of it can really hurt if any of it is directly on your skin.

How hard are pins to get a good fit with a contour diaper?

Does anyone like all-in-ones?

My input, pins are not hard to deal with at all. With little practice, you could do very well using them. And, if you don’t get it right, doing an adjustment, just means unpinning, and try again.

I would also recommend trying Snappies. They give a very snug fit! But if you do go for the Snappies, you need to look for size 2, or toddler. 

All in ones, are not such a great option. They are usually more expensive, harder to launder, and don’t lasts as long. Usually, the outer waterproofing is the first to fail.  

When I wear cloth diapers (which is rare), I always use regular plastic head baby diaper pins.  i even use baby diaper pins on my disposable diapers when a tape comes loose or tears off.  I've never had any problem, but I would say if you are pinning a diaper pin through really thick areas of the diaper, leave just a little room for the pin shaft to slide a bit.  Too much pressure on a diaper pin can cause the shaft to bend or pop out of the pin head.  Like Bill said, you can just repin the cloth diaper if it's a little loose.  Try regular baby diaper pins instead of paying for special long adult diaper pins.  You should be able to find them in some stores if you look around.  With most people using disposables like Pampers and Huggies, diaper pins are fading from a lot of stores.

One of the tricks to avoid leaking with cloth diapers is to have the leg elastic of your plastic panties as high as it will go, letting your diaper stay in the 'pocket' this creates. Cloth diapers absorb more slowly so there will be liquid puddled there until they can do their job. Elsewhere tuck the cover over the diaper to create similar  'pocket' I don't find that necessary at the waist if my plastic panties go high enough, but that varies from person to person. Me being a side-sleeper mostly probably affects that :rolleyes:

The only PUL I've used were Salk Sani-pants and they neither fit well or lasted more than a few wearings before they began leaking through the fabric. Also I've only used pins and as already noted they need some space to move or they can pop open and it's not nice being stabbed down there or having your plastic panties ruined by that. You'll have to experiment to find how much diaper you need so best to plan for leaks with bed protection til you figure that out ;)

Bettypooh

3 hours ago, Author_Alex said:

There are so many plastic panty options in terms of materials, waistbands, etc.

What do people recommend?

https://www.adultclothdiaper.com/Leakmaster-High-Back-Vinyl-Pants?quantity=1&custcol22=1

I have two pair of these and neither has leaked around the legs yet.

So new spin on the question. How do I wash these?

I have a pretty expensive washing machine, and I’m using the soak feature and warm water, but I still smell urine after they’re washed. I have to wash them twice.

What do I need to do so I only have to wash them once?

PS, I’m using a diaper pail with a PUL liner. I’m not presoaking them in the pail, but as I said, they are soaked into the washer, and the washer drains, before the actual wash cycle starts.

Thanks

3 hours ago, Author_Alex said:

So new spin on the question. How do I wash these?

I have a pretty expensive washing machine, and I’m using the soak feature and warm water, but I still smell urine after they’re washed. I have to wash them twice.

What do I need to do so I only have to wash them once?

PS, I’m using a diaper pail with a PUL liner. I’m not presoaking them in the pail, but as I said, they are soaked into the washer, and the washer drains, before the actual wash cycle starts.

Thanks

How hot are you washing?  Washing at 60 degrees Celcius works for me.  Any cooler and I doubt you'd get them properly clean - I think 60C is recommended over here for washing real babies' nappies.  I don't soak them beforehand.  I started off using a pre-wash as well, but that doesn't seem to be necessary.  And never leave nappies wet but unwashed for more than 2 days.  I hand-wash my plastic pants.

I know there used to be a powdered soap called "Dreft" at least 40 years ago that was for use in washing cloth diapers.  It supposedly cleaned them better and made them feel softer.  With most people these days using disposable diapers, I haven't seen Dreft in years, but I expect there are other laundry detergents on the market that are designed for cloth diapers to wash them compleatly, keep them soft and clean smelling and not be harsh on the fabric.  You might want to read over this link:  https://momlovesbest.com/diapering/cloth-diapers/detergents-for-cloth-diapers  There are also a lot of tips on Google for washing cloth diapers.

13 hours ago, rusty pins said:

I know there used to be a powdered soap called "Dreft" at least 40 years ago that was for use in washing cloth diapers.  It supposedly cleaned them better and made them feel softer.  With most people these days using disposable diapers, I haven't seen Dreft in years, but I expect there are other laundry detergents on the market that are designed for cloth diapers to wash them compleatly, keep them soft and clean smelling and not be harsh on the fabric.  You might want to read over this link:  https://momlovesbest.com/diapering/cloth-diapers/detergents-for-cloth-diapers  There are also a lot of tips on Google for washing cloth diapers.

I believe there is now a liquid Dreft, somewhere in the detergent sections of supermarkets.  In my local area it's on the top shelf, but I know that areas are variable!

Yes the dreft liquid works well on urine smells without soaking, I have had towels and other things I have used it on, its a little expensive I think. But I do love the smell of it.

I did some googling and found that mom’s who cloth diaper have success keeping the ammonia smell away by:

1) Rinsing diapers before putting them in the pail, so I’ll start rinsing them as part of my morning shower 

2) Keeping the diaper pail open 

3) Adding baking soda to the diaper pail

4) Adding a little white vinegar to the wash

While out and about I’ll wear disposables but if I had a choice I would stick with cloth. Especially at night I feel cloth diapers do a much better job distributing the wetness throughout your diaper. It all comes down to finding the right bulk to absorb your urine. I found two 60” squares do the trick for me and some snug fitting plastic pants with fully encased elastic bands work fine. I gave it every effort to find the right plastic pants. Especially the way they fit around the legs, it is important to have a snug fit there for if they start to leak there is where it is most likely to happen first if it isn’t a proper fit.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I’ve decided Velcro diapers with a doubler and a pair of vinyl panties work best for me. I tried prefolds, and while I’m sure I’ll use the sometimes, I decided they were too much hassle when I’m tried and just want to get in bed, plus I found the pins uncomfortable to sometimes when I roll onto my side.

• 4 months later...
I did some googling and found that mom’s who cloth diaper have success keeping the ammonia smell away by:
1) Rinsing diapers before putting them in the pail, so I’ll start rinsing them as part of my morning shower 
2) Keeping the diaper pail open 
3) Adding baking soda to the diaper pail
4) Adding a little white vinegar to the wash
My mom told me years ago that hot and warm water set stains and smells in diapers so I have always soaked mine in cold water before I wash them. You want to pour the soaking water in the toilet for it WILL smell!

Sent from my SM-J337U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

It took me a while to become proficient at pinning on my contours but now I could do it in my sleep....well maybe in the dark. I don’t wear a contour diaper by itself but it always has at least one gauze soaker pad, a folded terry bath towel for a soaker and a folded terry hand towel for a liner. These terry towels are folded narrow enough to go between my legs but then unfolded into a V in the front and back of the diaper. Terry absorbs very rapidly and then wicks this moisture first into the soaker pad(s) and then the diaper(s) so that there’s no leakage even when sleeping on my side(s). This makes snug pinning a necessity to prevent that much wet cotton from sagging to my knees when I stand. Usually I get carried away and double diaper with double soaker pads so my hips get a workout when I get out of bed when wet and that much moisture weight. Maybe I should give those diaper suspenders I’ve heard about a try?.