LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

24/7 startups, and unexpected pitfalls?

Here's something I hadn't considered in terms of unexpected pitfalls: we live on the edge of a natural area with a pond, which connects to another, larger undeveloped area, and that connects with a huge tract of protected land that extends for miles. So, this area has critters - raccoons and skunks, foxes and the occasional coyote. I was reminded of this when I walked my dog early Monday morning, which was garbage day, and I noted that one of my neighbour's garbage bags had been ripped to shreds by something. I have a large heavy duty trash can with a tight-fitting lid that I throw most of our trash into, and since we also have recyclables and organic waste collection, with twice the frequency of the trash collection, the can generally does contains everything we produce. However, on holidays, or when we entertain, or do some clutter evacuation, I often will have a bag or two that goes out beside the trash can. We also live down the road from two schools. 

So, on my walk, I was imagining this scenario: I absentmindedly throw an extra bag of trash out onto the curb next to the bin, and sometime during the night, critters eviscerate the bag and make a feast of it, in the process, exhuming and scattering the remains of several printed nappies. Then, in the morning, a steady stream of neighbours and their children parade past my house. SO, note to self: make sure that trash bags containing diapers always end up in the bin, and never on the curb. I also wonder if the sanitation workers have an inkling as to what is in some of those bags; I bag everything well, but once they're fed into the compactor, the bags must occasionally disgorge their contents. Although, as with concerns about, for example, hotel workers spotting a diaper in a trash can, one imagines that they've seen much, much worse, and that they probably have the same level of professional detachment toward such things, as an ER nurse has towards the sight of blood. For example, for reasons never explained, dog waste is not considered to be "organic", whereas decomposing lasagna, chicken bones, tissue, paper towels, egg cartons, and newsprint are, so every second week, when the trash is picked up, there is inevitably roughly a 20 lb bag of maturing dog feces sitting right on top. That discourages exploration, one imagines. 

As an aside to an aside, some bordering municipalities allow diapers to be thrown in with organic waist; the material is then fed through a separator that claws out the plastic exteriors and discards them. They also let people put organic waste in plastic bags, whereas where I am, one can only use biodegradable cellulose film bags for organics. I use smaller versions of those bags to pick up the dog waste, but, alas, I am required to then entomb them for a thousand years in a heavy plastic garbage bag, and toss them in with the trash. I wonder if the areas that accept diapers as "organic" also accept dog waste as organic. What about dog diapers? The mind boggles. 

Not that this in itself is breaking news, because it happens to all of us, but I had a minor diaper leak last night, which I was somewhat surprised about, only because I slept in a Rearz Barnyard, which is a hefty diaper, and they generally take a licking and keep on ticking. I don't actually remember wetting it, so I may have been on my side or something like that. What was different was, I was wearing a one-piece sleeper, which is a new thing for me for a couple of reasons. I got it from my wife for Christmas, and this is the first one I've ever had. I had secretly wanted to get one, but, much like the plastic pants, I was concerned that it might be a little over-the-top with respect to playing dress-up, essentially, when I'm already arguably pushing the boundaries sleeping in a diaper, and using a pacifier religiously (thought the pacifier actually benefits her because it silences my alleged tooth-clicking when I sleep). So, her going out and buying me one and wrapping it up under the tree, I took as perhaps a tacit acknowledgement or acceptance of  "this", whatever she thinks "this" is. 

Second, I pretty much always sleep in just a t-shirt and a diaper, and rarely wear anything else, but, she has been going through hot flashes lately, and has had the ceiling fan on at tornado strength, and/or arisen to open the bedroom window at some point. Keep in mind that we live in Canada, and this is February. It is sometimes colder outside than it is in my freezer. SO, I had the sleeper on while we watched TV prior to going to sleep, and I decided to leave it on. I think it may have both contributed to, and protected me from the leak, because it's pretty snug fitting, and I noticed in the morning that the central zipper, which runs down to the crotch, had pushed the bulk of the diaper over to one side, and possibly created a gap or misalignment of the leg gathers. However, the leak was small, and the sleeper also seemed to have contained it all - it felt a bit damp on the inside, but was not wet on the outside, and the bedding was unscathed. When I got up, my wife was in our washroom, and the kids were gone, so I headed downstairs as is, and made myself a cup of coffee and sat down to read the paper (which I dashed out furtively to retrieve, looking like a thief, I'm sure, if anyone was watching). However, the new position, sitting up, coupled with another wetting, created, unbeknownst to me, a wet spot on my rear, and when my wife came down, I got up to make her a coffee, and myself another, and  was walking around the kitchen, bending and putting things in the dishwasher, etc. 

I didn't discover the new wet spot, which did show on the outside, until after I went upstairs. I know my wife is pretty observant; I'm trying to calculate the odds that she didn't realize that my diaper had leaked. She didn't say anything about it, but, if she noticed, then this would be the first time that she's seen a leak-through, although she has of course seen me in pretty obviously wet diapers before, and seen them in the trash, etc, so she knows that I'm not just "pretending" to wear them, so to speak. I suppose if it comes up, it is further evidence that I "need" them, at least at night. 

I've never dared to wear a disposable diaper without additional protection in bed.  More recently I've found that my waterproof trainers in the morning (they are Canadian btw:  Babykins) are usually dry.  That never used to be the case and I've only got theories about why that is so.

It's Saturday here and that's bed-stripping day.  As we took off the bottom sheet together this morning, there was a hint of sun through the window (it's been monsoonal here all week - 30C and pouring rain).  Suitably and suddenly illuminated, I couldn't help noticing that there were a few faint yellow stains on the mattress protector on my side including one substantial one (no idea!).

No comment was made but she must notice.  She elected not to wash the mattress protector so I guess they can't be that bad.

I actually suspect that my cloth nappies are to blame here (or more technically, the installer/operator of them).  On a "cloth" night, they can go on around 6pm, I go to bed in them already fairly wet and they remain on until 8am the next day.  I suspect a drenched cloth nappy is trigger dampness on my plastic pant leg elastics.  I've felt that when changing.  With the rains, we've ditched running the AC at night as it's reasonably cool.  The humidity however is astronomically high and the bedding is a bit damp by morning anyway.  On Thursday morning I woke up literally in a wet bed and thought disaster had happened until I realised it was wet equally everywhere.  I had to run the AC in the bedroom during the day just to dry it out.

Actually, I forgot to mention:  I'm dead impressed that your wife effectively bought you a onesie for Christmas!

It's fortunate that there's not that much "AB" in me.  I have a onesie but it is plain and was bought for engineering considerations rather than decor.  In any case, it's usually too hot here to wear it.

I'm not sure what would happen if I asked my wife for a Onesie for Christmas.  I might get a present but I doubt it would be that.  If I got off lightly, it might be a gift certificate for psychotherapy.  If I didn't get off so lightly, it would probably be a "Dignitas" membership...

• Haha 1
23 hours ago, oznl said:

Actually, I forgot to mention:  I'm dead impressed that your wife effectively bought you a onesie for Christmas!

Yeah, it's funny, but the significance of it was lost on me as well, when I received it. I didn't remark on it at the time. It's a very stoic onesie - grey, no stylistic flourishes (other than a butt flap that has buttons - seriously, people would put that to use?), but, it's a onesie nonetheless, and when I put it on over a diaper, it does produce a somewhat nostalgic effect, even if, really, I can't remember wearing diapers under sleepers - when I was an older kid wearing diapers, I definitely did not have onesies like this. I wore flannel pajamas in the winter, or just a diaper and a shirt in the summer. 

Well, "it" happened. I guess it was perhaps inevitable, but I still have a bit of PTSD over it; I had come home from the gym, taken a shower, and put on a diaper. It was about 10:00 at night, two nights ago. My wife was watching a TV show in our bedroom, and I came out of the bathroom in the diaper, put on a T-shirt, and then started organizing some laundry. The ironic part is that I was considering putting something over my diaper, perhaps a pair of shorts or pajama pants, because my older daughter was walking around in the hallway outside our room, back and forth between her bathroom and her bedroom. My wife went out to talk to her about something, and she left the door to our room open (which, as an aside, she frequently does, which drives me nuts), so I went over and pulled it closed, and walked back over to my side of the bed. I was literally JUST about to pull on a pair of shorts, when our bedroom door burst open, and my immediate thought was, it was my wife, so I didn't react instantaneously. However, it was my daughter, seeking a Q-tip from our washroom. I dove like I'd been shot, down beside our bed, and said "UH, KNOCK PLEASE", and she said "OH, SORRY!" and retreated out the door and pulled it closed, but I'm pretty sure she had to have beheld me standing there for at least a moment. The t-shirt I had on was of a medium length, and certainly didn't cover the lower half of the diaper. 

I drove her to dance and picked her up again last night, and we talked and joked around as we normally do - there was no awkwardness about it. And certainly she's been streaking back and forth between her room and the bathroom in various states of undress hundreds of times when I've been travelling through the halls upstairs, and I always just clamp my eyes shut and announce "I've seen nothing" and walk past. And, of course, I've seen her in diapers a million times, although it's been more than a decade for that. But, a kid seeing a parent in a diaper is not the same as the inverse - it's clearly in the wrong order. 

I guess it depends on timing along with the age and head-space of the kid as to whether anything clicked.

It is certainly my intent to keep this well out of the kid's world but as my kids I suspect are older, it's a bit easier.  One has left home, the other "kidult" is late teens and so wrapped up in herself that I suspect I could immolate myself outside her bedroom door without her taking her headset off.

Having said that, I have a nagging-but-evidence-free suspicion that dots have been connected.  Nothing has been said.  If she was to go snooping in my study, it wouldn't be hard to find a cupboard with boxes full of nappies only lightly-hidden.

I try to keep my nagging-but-evidence-free suspicion in a mental metaphorical box under the bed.  What's done is done.

6 hours ago, oznl said:

I suspect I could immolate myself outside her bedroom door without her taking her headset off.

I laughed out loud at this. I think the same goes for me. My kids are a bit younger - 11 and 14. The 14-year-old is the one who burst in on me. 

6 hours ago, oznl said:

I try to keep my nagging-but-evidence-free suspicion in a mental metaphorical box under the bed.  What's done is done.

Yup - same thought here. I can't unring that bell, and starting a conversation up about it would only pour concrete around whatever she thinks she saw, if she saw anything, and if she thinks anything about it. 

In other news, I've rediscovered the Bambino Magnificos in my "collection"; I had been ignoring them while I rotated through some newer stock. They are an amazingly comfortable diaper, and because of the stretch sides, they fit me in a medium size, rather than a large, so they have two qualities that are usually in opposition to each other: a very satisfying bulk and thickness between the legs, but, without an absurdly high waistline or tremendous bulk up front or at the sides. I can wear them under a looser pair of jeans, for example, and go out into the world. I thought about doing that today, because I have to spend about six hours in the car for work, but under dress pants, I'm less sure of their stealthiness, so I'll go with my daytime usual Prevail, and change at some point, whereas the Magnifico could probably last the day. 

So this thread has dealt with a lot of firsts, including going outside to pretend to have a wee, lest it become obvious that you're the only one who apparently doesn't heed nature's call. Well, how's this one from today: what about standing next to a guy in a washroom, pretending to wee? Well, that happened. Here's how: I was at a plant for work, and after a lengthy tour, the manager who was leading me around asked me if I needed to use the washroom. I had driven three hours to get there and then spent a couple of hours looking at issues they were having, SO, yes, I did need to use the washroom... uh, to change my nappy. I had a spare in my laptop bag, which was slung over my shoulder. However, what he lead me to was change room for the plant employees, which had a bank of urinals along one wall (it was an ancient plant), but no stalls in evidence; I guess you have to go track down an actual washroom if you have need for a stall. Or, presumably, use the women's change room, though some plants I have been in are so old, they don't have any. 

Anyway, there would be no diaper change happening for me at that moment, but, in the meantime, the fellow walked up to one of the urinals, mid conversation, and did what one does. I realized I'd look like an idiot to stand there and watch him, having said I needed to go myself, so I observed the requisite separation required when there are unoccupied urinals, and I chose one a couple over from him. However, I was wearing a onesie (diaper shirt) over a diaper, so I unzipped my pants, leaned in real close, and pretended to pee. Then I zipped up, washed my hands, went out to my car, and found a restaurant up the street to change my diaper. Another first!

:01_EmoticonsHDcom: been there, done that... not so much anymore though.  I don't wear a onesie to work (I have no "baby mullet" onesies in my collection: "Business on top, Baby on the bottom".)

16 hours ago, DL-Boy said:

(I have no "baby mullet" onesies in my collection: "Business on top, Baby on the bottom".)

Good description! I don't have any golf shirt onesies, although I want to get a couple, but I have a couple of onesies that look like black t-shirts, and a couple that look like white t-shirts, so all of them can be worn under a dress shirt. 

On the topic of firsts, I had a conversation with my wife last night about why I have so many different diapers; I was repairing a velcro tab on a Magnifico that had peeled partly back from the tape, so I put a staple through it. So she asked me why I was repairing it, instead of, I guess, changing it, and I said "These are super comfortable and I've only had this one on for a couple of hours." That precipitated a conversation about why I have so many different types of diapers, and I explained that wearing the same model too frequently can cause irritation, at least for me. This is somewhat true, though only really for low-end diapers, but it serves as an excuse for why I keep acquiring bags of diapers in different designs. The other reason is because I like to test new ones out.

Then, this morning, I took the dog for a walk, and I wore snow pants, because it's snowing out. So I threw plastic pants on over my diaper - the one I was wearing last night - because I was going to be heading into my office to spend a couple of hours in my chair, after the walk, and the diaper was beyond 50%, so I thought some back-up containment might be prudent. (I know some of you always wear plastic pants; I'm not there yet, be but I do see their value). When I came back from the walk, I took of the snow pants just as my wife came down the stairs, and she stopped to talk to me while I pulled my jeans on over my diaper arrangement - I like to wear just a diaper under the snow pants when I can, as it seems less bulky, and I like how it feels, almost like being in just a diaper. Anyway, the long and the short of it is that she saw me putting "day clothes" on over what looked like a different diaper; it would hardly have offered her much clarification if I had said "No, wait, this is the same diaper I slept in - I've just put on plastic pants because I intend to keep wearing it." 

SO, she has seen me in diapers at practically all hours of the day, but I believe this is the first time she's seen me getting dressed over a diaper - IE, not pulling on PJ's or athletic pants to lounge around in during an extended morning, but rather, putting on clothes that I'll have on all day, over baby pants. I'm probably ascribing way more meaning to this than it actually has; my wife seems to always take these developments in stride, but, at the same time, I think there is no denying that it would appear I'm wearing diapers most of the time, unless one wants to work really hard at shoring up the denial. 

On 3/31/2019 at 6:05 AM, stevewet said:

24/7 for over 7 yeas now and completely OK with it. Most of my family and friends know I wear nappies and am incontinent. I haven't had any real problems and it is just part of life now.

Are you incontinent by choice?

15 hours ago, CharMeckDL said:

Are you incontinent by choice?

No, not incontinent. In diapers by choice - yes. I haven't "achieved" incontinence at this point, nor am I really going for that, at least not during the day, although there have been several night time incidents at this point where I can't recall deliberately wetting the wet nappy I'm waking up in. I'd be fine with sleep urinary incontinence, as I lived with that for about the first 10 years of my life. Incontinence of any other description would be rather inconvenient, to say the least, and I have tremendous respect for those of you who have "achieved", and/or suffer from it. 

I crashed through another perceived barrier this weekend, when we went skating with another family, and afterwards, had them over for dinner. The skating started at 4:00 in the afternoon, and we wrapped up and headed back to the house at 5:30. My wife and I had worn warm clothes for the skating, which for me meant putting some tight PJ pants on under my jeans, as long underwear, essentially. For those of you reading this as you sit in tropical climates, people up here in the frozen North sometimes wear underwear that goes to their ankles, in an attempt to increase the time we can survive outdoors. 

So, we got drinks for our guests, and then both of us headed up to our room to change into less bulky clothing, and when we got there, I briefly considered retreating into the washroom to take off my thermal underwear, because, of course, under those, I had a diaper on. Then I decided, basically, "screw it", and just proceeded to change in the room, removing my jeans, and the underpants, and then putting my jeans back on, over my diaper. She didn't comment or really break stride in the conversation at all. This leads me to conclude that I'm more or less free to wear a diaper whenever I want to, which I was doing already, in any case, but now I sort of have unconfirmed "permission" to do so. Maybe I should have put a "?" at the end of that last sentence. 

I still find the whole situation a bit hard to believe sometimes. I was sitting in bed earlier this weekend, reading a book while she watched a TV show, wearing just a diaper, and it felt great to think that my future held, in all likelihood, many more such nights. I had a similar thought while cleaning up the garage, this past weekend as well. I am back in diapers. By choice, this time. 

I was going to say "I wonder" to start this next paragraph, but I'm changing it to "I have to conclude". I have to conclude that this strange, peaceful satisfaction I'm feeling must be related to taking control back (somehow, though, paradoxically, by wearing underpants designed for those expressly not in control...). My first time around being put back in diapers, or perhaps more accurately, never fully graduating from them, I had no control over the situation, basically. I could not control my body when I slept, and, I also had almost no control over my parent's reaction to it. I had no control over when, where, or for how long, I would wear a diaper - it was always up to someone else. There was a court of appeal, don't get me wrong - my parents were not fascists about it, and they never punished me or deliberately made me feel badly, but they were eminently practical, and my pleas, when I made them, were often brushed aside. 

Even then, as I discussed before, I had an almost "love-hate" relationship with my baby pants; a lot of the time, I didn't really mind being in a diaper; I was already deriving a strange satisfaction from it. I didn't rush to take them off in the morning, or object to putting one on in the evening, when we were around our house, and nobody else was nearby. However, that turned on a dime when we were leaving the house, going out in public, or when other people, particularly kids, were in the scene - then, I hated being in a diaper, had a deep fear of it being discovered, and a distinct shame about having to wear one - I might as well have been put into a dress and marched out to the car. 

Putting a diaper on myself appears to offer belated but profound relief from all that anxiety that I stored, like a compressed gas, deep inside myself back then.

11 minutes ago, DL-Boy said:

@Little Sherri, at the rate you're going, you may have a Mommy who changes you before it's all over...  My wife swore that'd never happen with her though... :43_EmoticonsHDcom::27_EmoticonsHDcom:

I don't think that's likely to happen; my wife seems willing to put up with this weirdness, but she told me recently that she doesn't get it, because the idea of being in diapers, to her, is associated with illness and disability and discomfort, and she'd pretty much rather be dead then have to wear them. 

As to if I'd "want" to have a mommy, I'm not sure. When she talks to me about my diapers (other than when she said the above), it gives me a bit of a thrill, and I get a certain exhibitionist rise in my blood pressure whenever I emerge from the washroom in a diaper, or when I notice that my diaper is crinkling audibly under my jeans, as it was just now while I was in the kitchen with her, making tea for myself. But I'm not sure if I'm up for being changed by her - I think that there would be "consequences" to that - that it would be a lot to ask and that I'd have to negotiate away something, maybe my current "no-consultation" policy on buying Scotch or something. 

If I had a fantasy that comes anywhere close to reality, it would probably be that she'd start doing the math on what diapers cost, and so she'd tell me that she expects me to stay in one for a period of time - "I expect that diaper to still be on when I get back". Frugality, and not friskiness, would probably be what motivated her to take on any sort of "Mommy" role. But that might give me a charge, so to speak, at least the first few times, because it hearkens back to days of yore, when my parents would put me in a diaper before they went out, if I was being babysat, so that the babysitter (which, more often than not, was my sister) didn't have to deal with it at bedtime, and either my mom or my dad would tell me that they expected the diaper to stay on; I had on the odd occasion removed it of my own accord and then tried to put it back on later, with poor results, because the tapes on mid-80's Pampers were not designed to be opened and closed. 

I’m fortunate that the “AB” side of me is either small, buried deep or possibly both.

Asking my wife to change my nappy (whilst not an overpowering fantasy, as an inherently lazy person I’d have to admit it sounds convenient!) would be a deal breaker.  So would overtly AB gear.

I’ve traded down from being “accepted” as being diapered and aim for “tolerated”.

Sheer practicality has meant that over time I’ve become less concerned with trying to arrange life so that she never sees evidence of my nappied state though..  Tonight, I got changed after work with her laying on the bed, well within sight line.  I did not bother with acrobatic contortions to obscure from her view that I was wearing a nappy and plastic pants under the jeans I was changing.  If she sees, she sees.  If she objects, she objects.  As they say, offence is often taken but rarely given.

I wouldn’t change myself in front of her though and I make sure that all “used” product is swept away from her view and dealt with.

I think if I had a fantasy, it would be that this is all somehow regarded as “normal” and the silent censure would go away.

I also think this will remain fantasy for the foreseeable future.

15 minutes ago, oznl said:

I’m fortunate that the “AB” side of me is either small, buried deep or possibly both.

Asking my wife to change my nappy (whilst not an overpowering fantasy, as an inherently lazy person I’d have to admit it sounds convenient!) would be a deal breaker.  So would overtly AB gear.

I’ve traded down from being “accepted” as being diapered and aim for “tolerated”.

Sheer practicality has meant that over time I’ve become less concerned with trying to arrange life so that she never sees evidence of my nappied state though..  Tonight, I got changed after work with her laying on the bed, well within sight line.  I did not bother with acrobatic contortions to obscure from her view that I was wearing a nappy and plastic pants under the jeans I was changing.  If she sees, she sees.  If she objects, she objects.  As they say, offence is often taken but rarely given.⁷

I wouldn’t change myself in front of her though and I make sure that all “used” product is swept away from her view and dealt with.

I think if I had a fantasy, it would be that this is all somehow regarded as “normal” and the silent censure would go away.

I also think this will remain fantasy for the foreseeable future.

Wow, thank you so much for being so open and honest. It sou is exactly like my current situation. I was reading it and I had to stop half way through and double check if I wrote it. :) When wearing was only occasional or my desires came and went she was accepting. As time went on and occasional turned into always accepting g turned into barely tolerated. The worst part is, she won't even talk about it and pretend nothing is wrong. Part of me wants to go see a therapist just to get it all out in the open.

Here's another diaper "blast from the past" story that came to me while chatting with someone; I'm not describing a specific time here, but rather, a situation that came up from time to time. The scenario, and it was a fairly common one: we were driving to someone's house a distance away, usually an aunt & uncles' place, and we were leaving sometime mid-day, say in the early afternoon, to go there for dinner. If it wasn't hours away, I probably would not be wearing a diaper for the car ride, because the odds of me falling into a deep, wetting-hazardous sleep were pretty slim. We'd get there, the kids would run off to play, the parents would commence having drinks and seeing to dinner, and then at some point, we would sit around the table and eat. After that, the kids would dash off for the basement again, or the yard if the weather was good, and the parents would sit around the table and drink wine and smoke into the night (being the mid-80's, both impaired driving and smoking indoors around kids were fairly acceptable practices at the time.)

At some point, we would remind the parents that we exist - usually, one of the younger kids would start crying, or someone would ill-advisedly ask for a beverage or a snack, and they would decide that it was time to wrap things up, and everyone would start preparing to head for home. At that point, my mom would usually pull out pajamas for all of us, and toothbrushes, and ask us to get ready for bed, before we went out to the car, so that the transfer back at the house would be quick and seamless, given that all of us would probably fall asleep on the way back, and we'd be arriving home well past our usual bedtimes. So, for me, that meant that I was handed a diaper wrapped up in my PJ's, and I'd go into one of the washrooms, thread it up under myself, pull my PJ pants up most of the way, and then lean out and summon one of my parents, who would come in and fasten the tapes. When I was older,  I did this myself. 

Then commenced the anxious countdown; now, I had a diaper on, and it felt to me like anyone looking at me could tell, and I could detect the sound of it, and feel the warmth and the bulk, so I wanted to be whisked out to the car immediately, but, often, the parents would get onto another topic, pour another glass of wine, maybe someone would suggest coffee as a counter to the alcohol, and we'd be left to our own devices for another half hour, during which I would typically sit down somewhere (the safest position, rear hidden and no noise), let the other kids run around, and basically pray for the night to come to a close. Finally, the parents would start making their way to the door, but then came another horror - the goodbye hugs. Would I get lifted up by my uncle? Would he notice my diaper? Would it show up at the back when I was put back down, and my shirt rode up? Would any of the kids see it?!? Would my aunt pat my rear while hugging me? Would it become visible while I bent over to tie my shoes? Would anyone hear it when we were shuffling around in the tight confines of their foyer? 

Some version of this situation played out on multiple occasions during my upbringing. 

On 2/20/2020 at 6:59 PM, oznl said:

That was obviously a "taunting the gods" kind of statement.  If you see the update on my main thread and consider the timestamps, it's entirely possible I'd inadvertently left a used Tena and plastic pants on our walk-in-robe cabinet top whilst I was typing that reply ?

6 hours ago, Little Sherri said:

Some version of this situation played out on multiple occasions during my upbringing. 

Complete opposite for me.  I was the eldest, all my younger siblings (there were lots) were diapered at night well into primary school and due to various nappy logistics, they were often diapered not long after dinner and left to marinate until morning (sometimes the sheer timing involved meant they HAD to be wet before they even went to bed). 

But never me.

I was toilet trained to NASA standard at a spectacularly early age.  It's deeply ironic to me that I'm the sibling in 24/7 nappies 50 years later...

7 hours ago, oznl said:

I was the eldest, all my younger siblings (there were lots) were diapered at night well into primary school and due to various nappy logistics, they were often diapered not long after dinner and left to marinate until morning (sometimes the sheer timing involved meant they HAD to be wet before they even went to bed). 

7 hours ago, oznl said:

But never me.

It was always me - my brother never wet the bed past probably age 3, and I have no idea about my older sister's early years, but she wasn't having wetting issues by the time I was developed enough to start taking notes. Although I did inherit a couple of pairs of plastic pants from her that were suspiciously large, because they still fit me when I was 7 or 8. I'm not sure if this can be chalked up to plastic pantie technology in the late 1970's, or if it suggests something else. In any case, I was sometimes "left to marinate", by my choice, if my parents went out and we had a sitter, or my sister was babysitting - I would insist, once I was older, on having the diaper situation dealt with in private, before they'd departed, rather than it being left to whoever's charge I was in, so that sometimes meant being in a diaper from before dinner or earlier, though I tended to hitch the front of my diaper down if I needed to relieve myself, rather than wet it - Pampers back then wouldn't take 12+ hours of the output of a healthy 7 or 8 year-old. But I was a kid and sometimes got lazy, and if we were watching a riveting movie or TV show, and nature's call was ill-timed, well, I was already suffering the indignity of being in a diaper, so I might as well also experience the convenience. 

I've been testing the waters this week with respect to how comfortable I am wearing slightly larger diapers during the day and out of the house. I have both Rearz's Lil' Monsters and Lil' Squirts in my inventory, and they are larger, plastic, printed diapers, a fair bit bulkier than my daytime diaper of choice, but, they aren't as big as something like a BetterDry or a Bambino or a Barnyard or Inspire. I have a couple of pairs of jeans that *seem* to disguise them pretty well, and the sounds they make become quite muted under denim. I've spent a couple of days in them this week; I haven't gone to work wearing them, but I've worked from home and run errands etc. I really like how they feel - you definitely know you have a diaper on, and it puts a spring in my step, I guess you could say. Also, it's nice not to have to swap my diaper every 4 - 5 hours, though by the end of the day, these have bulked up pretty good, and have probably transitioned to the "evening wear" category of diapers that are pretty obvious and can't be worn outside of the house. 

The real test will come in a bit, when I have to decide what to put on once my night diaper is off; I am going to help a friend dispose of the debris from a renovation, and then I'm probably meeting another friend for dinner. If I put a onesie on over it so that it doesn't make peekaboo appearances at my waist, could I make one last the rest of the day, comfortably? 

What I'm looking for in a daytime diaper is a bit of a paradox, really - I want a diaper I can forget I'm wearing, but that will occasionally tap me on the shoulder and remind me about itself. I want a diaper that looks and feels like a diaper, but that vanishes under clothing. I want one with all-day capacity, that isn't excessively bulky. 

Someone should invent a diaper with technology something like Nike's Air shoes - you can pump them up, and you can deflate them, depending on where you are. Maybe electronically, maybe with an app. Sounds expensive, though, and possibly prone to malfunction...

BANG! 

"What the hell was that?"

"My nappy auto-inflated and exploded..."

5 hours ago, Little Sherri said:

I've been testing the waters this week with respect to how comfortable I am wearing slightly larger diapers during the day and out of the house. I have both Rearz's Lil' Monsters and Lil' Squirts in my inventory, and they are larger, plastic, printed diapers, a fair bit bulkier than my daytime diaper of choice, but, they aren't as big as something like a BetterDry or a Bambino or a Barnyard or Inspire. I have a couple of pairs of jeans that *seem* to disguise them pretty well, and the sounds they make become quite muted under denim. I've spent a couple of days in them this week; I haven't gone to work wearing them, but I've worked from home and run errands etc. I really like how they feel - you definitely know you have a diaper on, and it puts a spring in my step, I guess you could say. Also, it's nice not to have to swap my diaper every 4 - 5 hours, though by the end of the day, these have bulked up pretty good, and have probably transitioned to the "evening wear" category of diapers that are pretty obvious and can't be worn outside of the house. 

The real test will come in a bit, when I have to decide what to put on once my night diaper is off; I am going to help a friend dispose of the debris from a renovation, and then I'm probably meeting another friend for dinner. If I put a onesie on over it so that it doesn't make peekaboo appearances at my waist, could I make one last the rest of the day, comfortably? 

What I'm looking for in a daytime diaper is a bit of a paradox, really - I want a diaper I can forget I'm wearing, but that will occasionally tap me on the shoulder and remind me about itself. I want a diaper that looks and feels like a diaper, but that vanishes under clothing. I want one with all-day capacity, that isn't excessively bulky. 

Someone should invent a diaper with technology something like Nike's Air shoes - you can pump them up, and you can deflate them, depending on where you are. Maybe electronically, maybe with an app. Sounds expensive, though, and possibly prone to malfunction...

BANG! 

"What the hell was that?"

"My nappy auto-inflated and exploded..."

Seriously, try some Spanx (or similar) over an otherwise-too-bulky diaper & plastic pant.  It will mute noise, reduce visible bulges and actually help avoid leaks by keeping your nappy pressed up against you.

I can easily wear a BetterDry with that combo under one-size-too-big dark jeans or dress pants all workday and it's practically undetectable.  I know this because early on (when it wasn't certain I would be diapered), my wife was unable to be sure if I was wearing one or not in that scenario.

15 hours ago, oznl said:

Seriously, try some Spanx (or similar) over an otherwise-too-bulky diaper & plastic pant.  It will mute noise, reduce visible bulges and actually help avoid leaks by keeping your nappy pressed up against you.

I can easily wear a BetterDry with that combo under one-size-too-big dark jeans or dress pants all workday and it's practically undetectable.  I know this because early on (when it wasn't certain I would be diapered), my wife was unable to be sure if I was wearing one or not in that scenario.

I may have to give this a try. I know that a BetterDry is no lightweight diaper - if you can hide one under dress pants, that is testimony to the efficacy of the technique. 

I decided to roll with it yesterday and wear a Lil' Squirts under a onesie, under one-size-too-large jeans, and it seems to have worked out; as far as I can tell, nobody noticed anything. We removed the renovation debris, had a pint, and then I headed over to another friend's place for dinner. It was much quieter there - his family was way so it was just us in his house, not like earlier when we were in a public place with music in the background and a lot of people around. I really paid attention to if I was emitting any noticeable cacophony walking about, but the only thing I was sensitive about was later in the evening when I decided that my diaper was at perhaps beyond 50% capacity, and that if I wet it anymore while still at his place, it might swell up past the point where it would come onto the radar, so to speak, so I went into their powder washroom, which was right off the living room, to wee a little in the potty. My friend paused what we were watching on TV, so the room outside the door was silent, and I had to 1) drop my jeans a bit, 2) unsnap my onesie, and 3) pull down the front of a plastic diaper in order to go. I was keenly aware of each of the sounds on opening, so I made sure to time the "closure" to exactly when I flushed the loo, so that there would be background noise.  

I am on the topic of cloth diapers right now, because I am wearing one. I put it on last night after my shower, so I've been in it for about 12 hours now. It's been about three months since I wore one last, and I am once again reminded of the distinct and notable differences between a cloth diaper under plastic pants, versus basically any disposable.

Wetness: a cloth diaper feels wet all the time, and fairly quickly becomes wet - wet all over. Disposables can be completely saturated in one area, and bone dry in another. A cloth diaper will carry an even distribution of wetness once you've been in it for a bit. This can be a blessing and a curse. You certainly know that you're wearing a diaper, which is the upside, but the constant, uninterrupted dampness can be distracting. 

Capacity: cloth diapers seem less inclined to fail catastrophically, BUT, you have to make sure that all corners of it are tucked safely into plastic pants, because the uniform dampness and wicking action mean that an errant fold in contact with the outside world will create a wet spot on linens or clothing. That said, this diaper has tremendous capacity; although it is sodden, it shows no signs of giving up. 

Coldness: this is quite different from a disposable, which I find generally feel warm all the time. This cloth diaper I'm wearing felt chilly this morning, mostly because my wife likes to keep our bedroom at the temperature of a meat locker overnight. It felt like I had a wet blanket draped over my midsection, because, well, I pretty much have a wet blanket draped over my midsection. 

Bulk: I haven't figured out what to wear when I walk the dog yet this morning, because this diaper is really big, and it's a bit too warm out to wear snow pants today. Cloth diapers begin sagging notably as soon as they're somewhat wet. I'm not convinced this thing is going to disappear under even my biggest jeans. 

Sound: the one stealth advantage of a cloth diaper. Sometimes, older plastic pants will develop a bit of a crinkle to them, but a cloth diaper under new plastic pants, as I am wearing today, are silent. 

Smell: this is the biggest difference - it definitely smelled faintly of pee under the blankets when I woke up this morning, and now, as I sit in my office, I can definitely smell my diaper, which I am not used to. The disposables I usually wear do a really good job of counteracting odor, apparently, because unless I've been in a diaper for the lion's share of a day, I usually can't smell anything untoward, and even then, it's faint, whereas I definitely smell like a wet diaper right now. No amount of baby powder or scented diaper cream is going to disguise this. 

On another topic, I once again spoke openly about that-which-shall-not-be-spoken-of with my wife, when, per my previously-related topic about wearing somewhat larger diapers out of the house, I asked her yesterday if she could tell that I had a diaper on under my clothes. She scrutinized me for a second and then said, nope, I don't think anyone would notice. That was in the early afternoon, and I was about to head out of the house, so, once again, presumably she gets the picture...

I love the effortless capacity of cloth diapers.  I find them decadently comfortable in bed and I can relax knowing that whatever position I happen to be laying when I wet, the cloth diaper won't mind.

The pee smell is real and is one of the principle objections from my wife.  She has told me that  she vastly prefers me in disposables but this is like she would vastly prefer to be shot through the head than hung.  This "preference" should not be conflated with "enthusiasm".

I'm a bit puzzled about the "cold" thing.  To be honest, once they are wet they seem quite warm to me and although I can tell they are wet more easily than I could in a disposable, it's more their closeness, warmth and weight that I'm noticing.  Of course, I'm 26 degrees off the equator but it can still be brisk at night in mid-winter.  I've experienced a "cold, wet nappy" once or twice but not in bed and it required very low air temperatures with abundant air circulation and was a disposable anyway (non plastic backed).

I'm wondering about what kind of cloth diaper you are wearing, how securely it is pinned or otherwise-fitted to you, and how securely fitting and non-gas-permeable are you plastic pants?

Radiant heat loss from your body area insulated by a nappy should be less than your non-nappied area.  This should not make you cold.  The other big heat loss is evaporation, thanks to the enthalpy of vaporization,  if there is too much air circulation around your wet cloth diaper, you may have inadvertently constructed a personal evaporative cooler.  Too much air circulation will also exacerbate the pee smell.  I'm guessing that with low temperature, you also have low humidity, turbo charging evaporation.

Ah the science of nappies.  Who'd have thunk it?

Over there in Canada you should be able to get your hands on Babykins cloth gear relatively quickly and cheaply (in STARK contrast to Australia, are you reading this Babykins?).  I find their pull-on cotton diapers, augmented with pull-on dual layer terry to "layer up" as they describe it, under their vinyl pants to be a pretty bullet-proof scenario in bed.