LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

What fabric? What sewing machine?

Considering modifying some diapers I have.  I may put 'wings' on some diapers to increase their effectiveness for side sleeping.  They're a size smaller than the ones I routinely use for sleeping.  But the bigger ones are getting worn, and rather than buy all-new ones, I could make use of the fair number of these smaller ones I already have, if they only had more material around the sides.

Looking for advice on the fabric to buy and on the sewing stitches and what sort of sewing machine I would need.  I've never sewed anything but this is a low-risk project.  If I mess up I can just start over.  Would rather go used.  Any advice where to buy and what to watch for so I don't get a clunker?

I make my own nappies, a simple design that I have perfected (pictures are Dlteddy at FL). They are terry, shaped with a second terry layer down the middle and an outside layer of brushed cotton in a childish print. The terry is sewn with a standardsewing machine and the edges finished with an overlocking machine which is really easy to use (You may call it a surger?). I recently found some 550gsm really thick terry which is great for night time nappy and I have a slightly different, more discrete, shape in a lighter terry for daytime. 

It is great thing to do and lots of fun and saves money in the long run.

• Like 1

Need fabric that absorbs & doesn't squeeze out liquid when there's pressure on it, like when I'm lying on it.  Also, that can withstand hot water and a hot dryer.  Would Zorb satisfy these needs?  Couldn't find those specs on the link.

I went to a fabric store and bought a yard of 'diaper fabric', all cotton.  Rather thin weight.  We'll see what I can do with it, w/o cutting or sewing.  Not sure what I want to do yet.

I like the idea of making my own.  Still have to get the machine.  Leery of buying a used machine that turns out to be worn out or with non-available parts & accessories.

A standard sewing machine will be fine and if you don’t have an overlocker the the sewing machine should have a stitch on it that is the same as an overlocker stitch.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, WillDL said:

Need fabric that absorbs & doesn't squeeze out liquid when there's pressure on it, like when I'm lying on it.  Also, that can withstand hot water and a hot dryer.  Would Zorb satisfy these needs?  Couldn't find those specs on the link.

I went to a fabric store and bought a yard of 'diaper fabric', all cotton.  Rather thin weight.  We'll see what I can do with it, w/o cutting or sewing.  Not sure what I want to do yet.

I like the idea of making my own.  Still have to get the machine.  Leery of buying a used machine that turns out to be worn out or with non-available parts & accessories.

Absolutely right not to buy a used machine, it will be knackered more than likely.

I’m no expert but if you have an overlocking stich on a standard sewing machine it will still be just two threads whereas an overlocker has four and trims the edge as it sews. Mine was not expensive and has proved invaluable.

The other thing to mention is that new fabric has a coating on it that makes it easier to sew, ie. the needle passes through the cloth better. After it has been washed it is much more difficult.

Happy sewing

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Greybird said:

Absolutely right not to buy a used machine, it will be knackered more than likely.

I’m no expert but if you have an overlocking stich on a standard sewing machine it will still be just two threads whereas an overlocker has four and trims the edge as it sews. Mine was not expensive and has proved invaluable.

The other thing to mention is that new fabric has a coating on it that makes it easier to sew, ie. the needle passes through the cloth better. After it has been washed it is much more difficult.

Happy sewing

An older used sewing machine will last you many years and they are easy to service. The newer electronic ones I would avoid. I have a machine from 1967-era that I have found parts for easily and it is easy for me to maintain. (Then again, I have mechanical ability). Overlock (serger) machines are better bought new unless you know the owner.

• Like 1

I'm sure there are lots of lightly used machines that I can buy.  OK, avoid computerized ones.  Thanks for that.  I know Singer has (or had) great support, and many of the mechanicals were the same for decades.  Not sure about other brands though.

Have a lot to learn.  Don't know the difference between 'serger' and normal.  I gather a 'serger' is best for locking the ends of the fabric.  But I can do the same stitch with a 'normal' machine but it's only two threads instead of four?  Can I just run over it twice then?  If these are silly/too basic questions... I suppose I should find a "Sewing for Beginners" book before I continue here.

Edit:  OK... figured out the 'FL' is FetLife

1 hour ago, WillDL said:

I'm sure there are lots of lightly used machines that I can buy.  OK, avoid computerized ones.  Thanks for that.  I know Singer has (or had) great support, and many of the mechanicals were the same for decades.  Not sure about other brands though.

Have a lot to learn.  Don't know the difference between 'serger' and normal.  I gather a 'serger' is best for locking the ends of the fabric.  But I can do the same stitch with a 'normal' machine but it's only two threads instead of four?  Can I just run over it twice then?  If these are silly/too basic questions... I suppose I should find a "Sewing for Beginners" book before I continue here.

Hi Will, I’m sure you could find a lightly used machine, but you would need to see and try it before you bought it, IMHO. You would do well to go to a shop and have a demonstration of what a standard machine would do versus an overlocker. An overlocker trims the layers of fabric to the same size and binds it with interlocking thread so it will not fray.

It took me a while to get my head around it but now nappy-making is great fun, although I would like to learn how to put elastic around the legs. I do put tabs of velcro on as fasteners which works well. I’ll take a few pictures and put them here later if it would help.

3 hours ago, BabyJune said:

An older used sewing machine will last you many years and they are easy to service. The newer electronic ones I would avoid. I have a machine from 1967-era that I have found parts for easily and it is easy for me to maintain. (Then again, I have mechanical ability). Overlock (serger) machines are better bought new unless you know the owner.

Hi Baby June what a very prolific writer you are!  Not to mention clothes maker! Very impressive and way beyond my skills!

• Thanks 1