LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Done Adulting, Volume 1 (Now available on Amazon with a preview of Volume 2)

Chapter 31 Part 2

“Yes, I need to make an appointment for my little ... for this morning ... he’s got a high fever, vomiting, chills, sweats, upset stomach, headache ... yeah, sounds like it ... well, I talked to Dr. Bowers’ assistant, but he hasn’t actually seen him yet, so I guess he’s a new patient ... no, his PA would be fine ... thank you. We’ll see you soon.”

“What time,” Amanda asked.

“Two hours. I’m going to run to the store and get some LittleLyte for him and something to help his tummy.”

“No worries. I’ll skip class today. The prof doesn’t mind when it has to do with Littles, since that’s the course.”

Rebecca left and Amanda made another bottle of water for Jamie. He was drinking as much as he could keep down. He was back in crib, sans sheets and with his bear safely in his recliner to keep it clean. Amanda lowered the rail and pulled the glider close.

“Hey, buddy. You awake again,” she asked softly, teasing his back.

“Mhmm.”

“We’re going to the doctor in a couple hours. I got another bottle for you. Can you keep another one down?”

“Uh uh. I don’t want it.”

“Ok. How about we just snuggle for a bit, and then we’ll get you cleaned up a bit for the doctor?” She lifted him out of the crib and laid him against her chest, his arms limp at his sides. She rocked very slightly, tickling his back. She felt him shudder and and his muscles contract.

“Ughmgh,” he grunted, starting to cry.

Amanda could hear and feel what his body was doing again. She rested her chin on top his head. “It’s okay, baby. I know you can’t help it.”

“It hurts,” he whimpered.

“Shh. We’ll get you cleaned up again in a few minutes.” While waiting for his stomach cramps to stop, she sang a song her mom used to sing to her. “?Manda loves, you, sweet little Jamie boy, Manda loves you’ve, baby boy of mine.?

She didn’t remember the rest of it, but hummed the tune. He kept sniffling. Amanda reminded herself that as bad as she felt right now, that helpless feeling when there’s nothing you can do to fix it and only a little you can do to make your person feel better, that he felt much, much worse.

They had just gotten to this topic in her little’s course. His immune system was unprepared for all the pathogens in the world that were new to his body. The vaccinations prevented or at least lessened the severity of the worst ones, but a stomach virus just was what it was. Littles were no different than toddler kids in that way, just new immune systems being exposed to new germs.

“Ok, buddy, I think you’re done.” She got him on the changing table and cleaned him gently, noting a little blood on the wipe after she passed it over his back passage. There was nothing left in him but water, and he looked red and irritated back there. He looked sallow and felt hot everywhere she touched him, his expression listless. “Do you wanna bath?” Jamie shook his head. “Is there nothing I can do for you?”

He shook his head. She applied rash cream, hoping it would help with the rawness, and put a daytime diaper on him and a nighttime over that. They heard the door open, and Becky came in a few minutes later.

“Hey, Jamie,” she said, “Feeling any better?” He just shook his head again.

“Aww. We’re going to take you to the doctor in a bit, but first I need you to drink this for me,” she said, holding a bottle of electrolyte solution. “Can you be a big boy and try for mommy?” Becky hadn’t planned on saying that; the more pathetic Jamie looked, the stronger the urge to baby him.

She took him from Amanda and cradled him while he suckled slowly on his bottle. Amanda went to shower.

If Jamie hadn’t been so miserable, he might have been more concerned about the doctor, his first experience with one here having been so lousy. The waiting room was full of littles who looked like he did and bigs who hadn’t slept much the previous night. The front desk staff wore forced faces of first good cheer. Jamie fell asleep on Amanda while Becky checked them in.

When they were taken back to a room, a nurse came in and took Jamie’s vitals, including his temperature in his bum, and he hardly even stirred. Last time, he’d thrown a tantrum. A knock at the door, and the PA came in, herself looking harried.

“Hi, I’m Daphne, Dr. Bower’s PA. What’s going on with this little fella.”

“He was fine yesterday until he went down for his nap. He slept for almost four hours, and when I got him up he was sluggish and just wanted to go back to bed. He had a fever,” Amanda said.

“And his fever got higher, and he woke up vomiting in the middle of the night. He couldn’t stand on his own; he was pretty dizzy. He said everything hurts,” Becky added. “He threw up a few more times overnight, and he’s had diarrhea since he stopped.”

“He did seem a little more with it this morning, but he’s hardly said a word.”

“Ohhh. Poor guy. How long has he been here,” Daphne asked.

“About four months,” Becky answered.

“And he’s not regressed,” Amanda said. Not that it seemed to make much difference now. He was beyond helping himself for the time being. Funny, Amanda thought, all her friends and their moms said men turn into babies when they’re sick.

“Well, let’s get him on the table, and I’ll check him over.” Jamie submitted to the examination, her hands checking the lymph nodes in his neck and armpits, pressing in his joints, and probing his tummy. He winced a few times. She checked his throat and eyes and ears and nose and reflexes.

“Well, the bad news is I can’t do much for him except tell you to keep him hydrated, wipe him down with a cool cloth every hours, and give him a little’s NSAID for his aches.

But the good news is if he’s stopped vomiting, he’s already getting better. This just seems to be the virus going around right now. He should be fine in a couple days. He’ll be tired for a while. Make sure he gets all the sleep he needs, and keep him on a bland diet for the next three days. He can eat solids whenever he’s ready. See if he’ll eat a cracker or some dry cereal in the next couple hours. That should help his stomach.

Check his temperature every time you change his diaper, and if it goes up or he starts vomiting again, go the E.R. and call our service. Most importantly, he has to stay hydrated. If he can’t drink on his own, he’s going to have to go into hospital so he can be on an IV.”

“You’re sure he’s getting better,” Amanda asked.

Daphne nodded sympathetically. “Yes, I’m sure. Promise.”

“Can we give him something for his stomach at least?”

“Best that you don’t. His body just needs to get over this on its own, and that’s part of it.”

“When will he be able to go back to daycare?”

“Next week. He shouldn’t be contagious by then. And disinfect your house. You guys might get it, too, but it won’t be nearly as bad if you do.”

By the third day, Jamie was alert and standing on his own feet and had more than a moment’s notice when he needed to empty his bowels, though Rebecca and Amanda kept him in double diapers to be safe; it saved at least one outfit from ruin. His head hurt, and he felt like he’d never catch up on hydration, and he slept all but a few hours, but he was feeling and looking noticeably better.

The morning of the fourth day, Amanda woke him by placing the back of her hand on his forehead. “Wakey, wakey, buddy.” Jamie’s eyes opened, and to Amanda’s relief there was a spark in them again. “Your fever’s gone. How do you feel?”

Jamie sat up, and Amanda put her hand behind his back to help him. “Sore. Like I ran a marathon. And soaked. Which I don’t remember doing.” She stripped his diaper off him the crib and carried him straight to bathtub.

“How much do you remember from the last few days?”

“Almost nothing.”

“Well, that’s for the best. Wish I didn’t remember it. You had everyone real worried. Aunt Lauren got al teary.”

“Lauren came over?”

“You don’t remember?” He shook his head. “She came over to give Mom and me a chance to catch a few extra hours’ sleep. You were laying on her chest crying in your sleep again, and she called you the most pitiful thing she’d ever seen.”

“Wonder what I was dreaming about.”

“I don’t think you were.” She ran the tub warm but not hot and cleaned him extra thorough.

Amanda was confident enough he was feeling better that they could tease each other again. “I filled the hole under the sandbox back in.”

“What hole?”

“We dug a grave, just in case. Under the sandbox, actually.”

“Oh darn.”

“I’m sure you’ll be more clever than that by the time you go back to daycare.”

“You mean The Source?” Jamie hadn’t recalled ever being so sick, but he was sure it had happened in his youth. One kid doesn’t wash his hands well in the bathroom, and then 20 out of 30 kids has novovirus.

Amanda got him dried off and into a clean diaper, using extra power and dusting him under his arms and on his chest with it, and texted their mom to let her know his fever had broken and he was fully awake. She took him to the kitchen and fed him a bottle or formula and another of LittleLyte.

“How about some sun and fresh air today? Just in the backyard. And maybe something other than crackers to eat.”

“Mom’s at work?”

“Yeah.”

“Then I must be better.”

“Sorry I had to go to class yesterday.”

“That’s okay. I’m sure you needed a break from everything.”

“I just needed to go to class.” But not changing twelve diapers was nice, too, she thought.

They went into the backyard, and Jamie felt better just being in the air. Amanda moved to lounge chairs under the big tree. The days were plenty warm for laying out still, but it wasn’t hot and the sun was weaker.. Amanda put on her two-piece, and she stripped Jamie to just his diaper.

“Amanda?”

“Yeah, buddy?”

“Remember after the massage, when you held me after? Can we do that again?”

“I’ll do you one better.” Amanda went inside, noticing how much it smelled like a sick person was living there and vowing to scrub everything again after Jamie went down for a nap, and came back out with Jamie’s pacifier and a bottle of baby lotion. “How’s your tummy feel?”

“Normal.”

Amanda untaped Jamie’s diaper and had Jamie turn over on his stomach. She massaged the lotion in from the soles of his feet to his neck. She felt all the trigger points and uncooperative muscles the masseuse had said he had. Jamie sighed at the good parts and held his breath through some of the painful parts. When Amanda was done, he felt loose and drowsy.

“Am I as good as a pro?”

“I like your hands more.”

“I’m sure I’ll get better at it, but this was my favorite part, too.” She reclined her chair back almost all the way and placed Jamie on top of her. She regretted she hadn’t done this when he first arrived. It was talked about a lot for newborns and in her little class textbook, but no one she knew had said anything about skin to skin contact time with Littles. She made a mental note to suggest her mom try it. I’m gonna have a funny tan line, she said to herself. They fell asleep together that way.

“You got it, too, huh,” Ella said when he walked into daycare.

“You had it?”

“I think everyone had it. But I didn’t get it as bad as you newbies did. You look like you lost ten pounds.”

“Felt like I was dying. Or at least wished I was.”

“Been there,” she said as tenet walked toward the reading corner. “You’re walking funny.”

Jamie blushed. “Mom put me in double diapers again, just in case.”

“Hmm. Why do you wear diapers?”

Jamie was taken aback. It was still a sensitive subject even if he didn’t do much to try to keep it secret these days. “You do, too,” he answered defensively.

“Because they made me incontinent, and the doctors can’t fix that. But you’re not regressed. So, why? Did you ask to be?”

“Why would I do that?”

She shrugged. ”Some people who come here like them. That’s a major part of why they adopt themselves out.”

Jamie knew about them. He didn’t get it before he got here, but experiencing the tenderness and affection he received every day, he understood now why people whose lives were fine, or as fine as most lives get, wanted to be adopted and wanted to be regressed.

“Mom thinks I’m incontinent.”

“Why would she think that?”

“She just does. Assumed I was, and just couldn’t fathom that I wasn’t even when I told her. Twice”

“Bigs are so weird. Sorry, that must suck.”

“Well,” he hesitated to say, “Amanda knows. She thinks they make me more ... better able to ... they make me more dependent on them, and I have to trust her and Mom, so she thinks they’re good for me because I have such a hard time doing that. She told me she’d get Mom to stop if I wanted to.”

“And you don’t? I’m just asking,” she added when Jamie turned red and looked away.

“I ... I guess I think she’s right. And I do like getting to spend the extra time with them. And they don’t feel awful. I thought they’d feel wet all the time, but they don’t.”

“No, I don’t exactly mind now either. It would be weird not to have them at this point.”

“I can imagine.” Her twelve years to his four months.

“I still use a pacifier, too, and a bottle sometimes. Just not in public like you, ya big baby,” she said with a weak punch on his arm.

“I’m sorry. Could you say that again? I couldn’t hear you over the crinkling coming from under your dress.”

“Whatevs, Mr. Basket Case.”

“You, too, Ms. Gimpy.”

“What’s all this name calling I hear,” Jordan said, coming up behind them.

“We’re just playing,” Jamie said. Jordan looked at Ella, who nodded.

“Well, play nice. You’ll set a bad example for the others,” she responded and went back to her regular charges.

Jamie grimaced. “Does that ever bother you, being held to a higher standard?”

Ella shook her head. “Not really. If you want to get away with more stuff, all you have to do is act like you’re regressing.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. Especially with strangers. They can’t tell the difference. And it’s sort of expected, long term.”

“How do you mean?”

“Being a little, your world being kinda small, just magnifies everything in it. Things that weren’t a big deal become a big deal. You start to take for granted that you are little and Littles do certain things and get treated a certain way, and that’s how you start to behave.”

“I’m going to end up like them,” Jamie said with alarm, pointing at some Littles across the room.

“No, not like that. Just that you won’t be quite as mature as when you got here. Which for you would probably be a good thing. That’s part of why you came here, right?”

“Sort of,” Jamie demurred. He blushed again but felt he could tell her pretty much everything. “I don’t always know when I’m wet”

Ella’s eye brows popped up in surprise and concern. “You mean you’ve started having accidents?

“No, just that I’ve gotten so used to going I sometimes do it and hardly take notice of it, then forget about it.”

“Oh. Well, I guess that makes sense.”

Sitting cross legged, Jamie looked at the carpet between his legs. “Do you think, maybe, you’d like to do something together outside of daycare?” Jamie hadn’t asked anyone out since college, not face to face. Jamie wasn’t sure if that’s what he done or not. How does a date work when you’re a little? It doesn’t even come up for regressed Littles. Exchanging poorly drawn pictures and sharing half a cookie were as close to dating as regressed Littles got.

“Like a play date?” Now she blushed. Ella hadn’t been asked out since college period. Had she been asked out?

“Well ... I guess, yes.”

“That’d be fun. But don’t you have to ask your mommy first?”

“Shut up.”

“No, you shut up …”

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I'm glad he's feeling better. I'm betting his mother or sister will catch it since they bith were around him so much. Maybe even both of them by the time it's over with.

Who would need a therapist if they had a friend that they could share with like that and that had such insight in what might be good for them? I really like the way you are going with this.

Jesus what the fuck was that? Cholera? I would check myself into the ER if I got something like that....  ?? Fuck might just dial 911...

@Author_Alex

Operator: 911 what's your emergency?

Me: I think I have fucking Cholera!

• Haha 3
13 minutes ago, YourFNF said:

Jesus what the fuck was that? Cholera? I would check myself into the ER if I got something like that....  ?? Fuck might just dial 911...

@Author_Alex

Operator: 911 what's your emergency?

Me: I think I have fucking Cholera!

You ever seen an entire household come down with novovirus at the same time?

Well, I have. First the two year old got it, then dad, then the six and nine year old, and finally mom. One of them did end up in the hospital so they could keep him on an IV. Poor little guy ?.

And of course while it was incubating and no one had any symptoms yet, I took one French fry off a plate. Just one. I got it, but thankfully not like they did.

Child-free=fewer germs near me ?

@YourFNF

Also, my response to people who hate it when the government enforced clean water rules: cholera epidemics. 

1 hour ago, Author_Alex said:

You ever seen an entire household come down with novovirus at the same time?

Well, I have. First the two year old got it, then dad, then the six and nine year old, and finally mom. One of them did end up in the hospital so they could keep him on an IV. Poor little guy ?.

And of course while it was incubating and no one had any symptoms yet, I took one French fry off a plate. Just one. I got it, but thankfully not like they did.

Child-free=fewer germs near me ?

@YourFNF

Also, my response to people who hate it when the government enforced clean water rules: cholera epidemics. 

Yep

*jabs auto-injector loaded with cloned anitbodies and t-cell booster + vitamins into leg.....*

• Haha 1

I have been reading this from when you first started and would like to say who much I enjoyed it and you are a very good author.  One thing I find is that Jamie has been there four months and neither Becky or Mandy has had the desire or effects to nurse him like most Amazons do with littles living with them.  

10 minutes ago, Baby Billy said:

I have been reading this from when you first started and would like to say who much I enjoyed it and you are a very good author.  One thing I find is that Jamie has been there four months and neither Becky or Mandy has had the desire or effects to nurse him like most Amazons do with littles living with them.  

It's crossed my mind. I'm sure if Jamie were regressed they would be. I've thought of other ways it might happen, but I don't know yet if that's something Jamie would even try.

My kids have brought everything from pink eye to the flu home for me .?Just wonderful isn't it ?. Started asking the first grader questions of like hey your teacher make you guys wash your hands answer was no ?. Hmmm after a call to the principal found out the teacher was new , the sick epidemic slow to a crawl after that . 

7 minutes ago, Shawnie said:

My kids have brought everything from pink eye to the flu home for me .?Just wonderful isn't it ?. Started asking the first grader questions of like hey your teacher make you guys wash your hands answer was no ?. Hmmm after a call to the principal found out the teacher was new , the sick epidemic slow to a crawl after that . 

You should have them pass through an outdoor shower and de-louse them before they're allowed back inside at the end of the day.

Hardly a family event with my nieces and nephews goes by but I have some kind of virus within a few day.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Baby Billy said:

RE your reply,,  maybe having Jamie catch Becky pumping and putting in the fringe for his formula. He is already been given a bottle to nurse on  

Becky wouldn't lie to Jamie, and Amanda wouldn't go along with it if she did. If there's an opportunity to work it in, I will.

• Thanks 1

Gonna be a fun day at the park!

Chapter 32 Part 1

“I don’t mind staying home with you. You sure you wanna go,” Becky asked.

“Yes, definitely. I’ve been either at home or daycare for two weeks.”

“Sorry, but …”

“I know, I know: I was a very sick little boy,” he smiled. “You mentioned that a few times.” Jamie suspect she was more traumatized by it than he was. Once he was out of the woods she had been a lot more emotive, and there was hardly a time she let him be alone. If she was doing something her bedroom, she picked up whatever Jamie was playing with, and Jamie, and brought them to her bedroom. If she went somewhere, she told Amanda to keep an eye on him, as though she didn’t anyway. Jamie was sympathetic and even found it endearing, but it was wearing thin.

“Well, Lauren and Danny are looking forward to seeing you, and Amanda says Mel is going to be there, too.” Jamie remembered that, and he looked forward to it. He didn’t get to see her the week after his illness, or as he took to calling, his Plague Experience.

“I know. What are we celebrating again?”

“It’s not exactly a celebration. Just a parade and a fair in the park.” Mel and an affair in the park – Jamie liked the sound of that. “We watch the parade and eat funnel cake and play rigged games.” Giant carnies – Jamie liked that part less. “Amanda is going to meet us up there.”

They drove into the historic downtown part of their leafy suburb and parked at a brick building that looked like it didn’t belong in in a residential neighborhood. Out front was assign reading “Pancake Dinner Every Tuesday!”

“What’s that,” Jamie asked.

“It’s the Cayuga Club. It’s a group of people, mostly older men, who volunteer in the community and raise money for things.”

“Oh.” A lot of people were around, all like water in a stream flowing to the same destination. Rebecca got Jamie out of his car seat and put him in the stroller. She’d already lathered him with sunblock before they left the house. She grabbed the diaper bag and stashed it below, then handed Jamie a big water bottle to keep with him. He’d been draining six a day even though he wasn’t dehydrated anymore. They started walking in the same direction of the crowd. Every age; littles; bigs; what passed for a dog here.

Becky steered them onto a street Jamie didn’t think he’d been on before, just a block over from where they’d gone to lunch with Jane and Rosie. The street was wide and divided by grassy islands. “That one’s ours,” she said, pointing at the one she was beelining for.

“We got tickets?”

“No, there are not tickets. That’s just where we’ve sat since as long as I can remember. Right in front of the reviewing stand.” Behind the reviewing stand was train station. Small, old, and charming, it looked more like a small-town train station museum than a working station. Lauren was already there waiting for them with chairs set up.

“Hey!” she exclaimed when she saw them. She unbuckled Jamie before Becky even stopped and picked him, pressing him to her chest as he wrapped his legs around her and she swung him back and forth saying, “There’s my big guy!” The train station swang out of sight and the next island over in, and then the train station again, then the island again.

“Lauren … Lauren … Lauren!”

“Oh, sorry! I just got carried away. I’m so glad to see you out and about. How are you feeling?”

“Better. Much better.”

“You had everyone so worried!” Jamie rolled his eyes. “You were just … so …” she started to get teary and snapped out of it. “Well, you’re fine now. That’s the important thing. And how are you,” she asked, turning to Rebecca.

“Fine. Rested,” she laughed. “You know what they say: you’re only ever as happy as your least happy child. Thanks again for coming over that week. Much needed break.”

“Don’t mention it. I was happy to.”

“Where’s Danny?”

“Getting breakfast,” Lauren said pointing to a line half a block long snaking its way out of a pastry shop.

Danny eventually made his way back with a box of donuts big enough to be cakes by Jamie’s standards. “Hey! Look at you all conscious and shit,” he said.

“Daniel!” Lauren gave him a shot in the ribs.

“Oof! Uh, meant to say you’re looking good. Donut?”

“Becky,” Lauren asked.

“Sure. He’s back on regular food.”

Lauren broke out some paper towels and handed one to Jamie and one to Becky. Danny handed Becky a donut the size of a sub sandwich and Jamie a smaller one that he hoped was little food.

“Danny,” Lauren whined, “You can’t just give him the whole thing,” she said, taking it from Jamie and tearing it into smaller-than-bite-sized pieces.

“Uh, Laurie,” Danny said, looking from Lauren to Jamie, hinting with his eyes.

“Oh! What am I thinking. Sorry,” she blushed. Becky watched the exchange with a curious smile.

Danny sat down next to Becky. “I called Mom and told her not to come.”

“And?”

“And she said didn’t plan on it.”

Becky sighed. “I don’t want to see her, but I hate to think of her all by herself.”

What, Jamie thought, the other fascists banned her from their meetings?

Danny cast his eyes down for a second and then took Becky’s hand. “You did the right thing for you and for Jamie and for Amanda. That’s the important thing, right?”

“Right.” She patted Danny’s hand and smiled.

“Hey!” Jamie’s ears perked up at Amanda’s. “Ooh, donuts!” He twisted around in his chair to see Amanda and Mel helping themselves. “Bikini season is over; go nuts.”

“Go donuts,” Jamie said with an idiotic smile on his face. Lamest person ever, Jamie thought, that’s you. Fortunately it didn’t seem anyone heard him.

“Hey, Jamie. Remember me,” Donna said, stepping out from behind Mel and Amanda.

“Hi, Donna. Good to see you again.”

“I heard you were feeling sick,” she said in a voice not quite normal and not quite babyish. “But you must be feeling better because you got a donut! Do you like donuts?”

“Hey, Danny,” Jamie said, “Are these little donuts?”

“Yeah. Why?”

“I’m gonna need another, pretty much right away.”

“I got your back. We’re dudes.”

Lauren had brought a chair for Amanda; Mel and Donna spread out a blanket in from of their chairs.

Jamie wondered if he should or not. It wouldn’t be very nice to Donna. But Mel would like it. Maybe he could make it up to Donna later. Though it was a little shameless.

“I’ll share my chair with you, Mel.”

“You will? That’s so sweet of you. I can’t say no to that,” she said, turning to mouth ‘sorry’ to Donna. She picked Jamie up and sat down in his place, then set him in her lap. He leaned back into her as the announcer on the reviewing stand welcome them to the annual Founder’s Day parade and fair.

The first float was from a grade school, and parents and teachers and kids walked by tossing out candy. Despite himself, seeing a roving gang of young children made Jamie nervous. They were followed by the high school marching band; a car dealership; a real estate agency; more schools; another band; a dance company; a group of older gentlemen and one woman intent on keeping the bagpipe alive in our modern world; a martial arts studio that was running out of wood to break as they reached almost the end of the route; more car dealers; a competing real estate agency; giant men in fezzes driving comically tiny cars, except there were the perfect size for a little to drive; giant men in a classic car club riding in what Jamie guessed were classic cars; what looked like a scout troop, including one mounted scout riding a gigantic horse, followed by a sweaty scout master wheeling a gigantic trash can and shovel; a veterans group; police on motorcycle, and a titanic-sized fire engine that blew its horn and set half the littles and young kids crying.

When it was over, everyone stood up and started folding away their chairs and blankets and detritus. Jamie yawned and stretched his arms. “Ya tired, Jamester?”

“Nah,” he lied. “Just need to get up and walk around a bit.” Mel set him on his feet and the group started walking toward the park, stopping to put things back in their cars. When they reached the park it looked transformed. The big space was filled with tents side by side filled with vendors art and crafts and clothes and holiday decorations.

“Same stuff every year,” Becky said.

“They’ve had that spot for as long as I can remember,” Amanda replied, pointing toward a booth right next to the crosswalk selling leather goods.

“That’s what I like about it. Tradition.”

They walked into the first aisle, and Jamie discovered they weren’t just casually passing through to see what there was, but were instead looking through each booth. Danny looked as bored as he did.

“Ya wanna get out of here,” he asked.

“Yeah,”

“Hey, Beck, how about I take Jamie to find some guy stuff to do?”

“Ok by me. Jamie,” Becky asked.

“Sounds like fun.”

“Alright. Watch him like a hawk, Daniel Allen.” Big sister meant it.

Lauren giggled. “Ya know, Dan, if he goes you might actually have to change a diaper for once in your life.”

“Hardy har har. Let’s go, Jamie. We can cruise chicks and hit up the hatchet throwing booth,” he said, taking the stroller from Amanda. They backtracked to the sidewalk that ran past the length of the tennis courts near where they came in. To the left was a sea of people. They started to work their way into it. Danny had a firm grip on Jamie’s hand.

“Would you feel better if I rode in the stroller,” Jamie shouted. Danny nodded and lifted him in. The crowd parted more easily. This was apparently the food boulevard, set along both sides of the main sidewalk through the park. Typic fair fare.

“Do you smell that, Jamie?”

“What? Heart disease?”

“And I suppose you’re too good for a little heart disease?”

“No, just pacing myself. It’s still early.”

They came out of pike, and to Jamie’s familiar playground. The last time he’d been here he’d cause a diplomatic row with one of those barbarian countries, or at least that’s how he thought of them, not that he’d ever applied the term to anyone or any place back home. He had more sympathy for cannibals in far flung jungles than for people who tortured and mutilated littles.

“This is the do-gooder section,” Danny informed him, able to speak in a regular tone again. They walked past various charities with their booths set up, well-meaning people handing out flyers and information. Jamie talked to each one. He was naturally interested, and since he didn’t watch or read news it was also the first time he heard about some of the issues going on in his area. Of course, he couldn’t contribute anything but a thank you, though that seemed to be much more valuable to these people than any donation. He did, though, take a flyer from each one and stash it behind him in his stroller.

At the end of the section was a pet adoption booth with animals in kennels on the ground looking pathetic, or at least as pathetic as a bear can look. “You want to check them out,” Danny asked.

“Sure,” Jamie answered. He didn’t want to seem afraid in front of Daniel, which he knew was silly, but he felt that way just the same. They slowly made their way around the circle of pens. A tall woman in a gaudy living-things-love-me-and-I-love-them outfit stopped them.

“You looking for a puppy for your son?”

“No. And actually he’s just my nephew. He’s a recent arrival, so this is still pretty new to him.”

“Oh. Does he want to maybe see one?”

“I don’t know. Jamie, do you?”

“Uh, sure.” There was a cage between him and them. Jamie got out of his stroller, and the three of them went through a gate into the center of the circle. They followed the woman to one of the cages where a small, by bear standards, black and white was.

Danny and the woman got down on their knees next to Jamie, each with a hand on his back, and showed him it was safe by putting their palms on the cage. “See,” the woman said as the dog licked her palm, “she’s very gentle.”

Jamie put his palm up to the cage slowly. He laughed when it licked him. “It tickles.”

“What’s her name,” Daniel asked.

“Muffin.”

“That’s good,” Jamie said, “Because, ya know, she looks like a muffin.”

“You want to let her out?”

“Uh, no, I think that’s okay. She seems so happy … in there … doing her thing … in there.”

“Then do you want to meet another?”

“Sure.”

They moved on to the next cage. Jamie put his hand to the bars, and the dog didn’t stir. This one actually looked content to be where it was. Jamie felt a heavy thump on this butt.

“Hey! What was that for,” Jamie ask indignantly.

“Oh, Bruno! How do you keep getting out,” the woman asked with exasperation.

Jamie heard a long sniff and turned slightly to see Bruno with his snout an inch from Jamie’s butt. Jamie turned around and sat back. He could feel the bear’s breath from two feet away.

“Now that’s a dog,” Daniel said excitedly. Judging by the size of the open cage, Bruno was the biggest one they had. Jamie felt himself sweating and his heart rate accelerate. The woman noticed.

“It’s okay; he’s safe. He’s very gentle with littles. See?” She gently took Jamie’s hand and pull it closer to Bruno’s snout. Jamie was shaking. Bruno sniffed Jamie’s hand and exhaled with a blow that made Jamie pull his hand back.

“Do you want to ride him?” Jamie reacted appropriately to the inquiry.

“No!”

“C’mon, Jamie. It’ll help you get over your fear of dogs.”

“This one, too,” the woman asked. “So strange.”

“I’m right here, and Bruno looks like a pussycat to me. Do you trust me,” Danny asked with his hand out.

“You? Sure. Bears? Not so much.”

“Honey,” the woman said,  “This is a doggy.”

“You’re a doggy,” Jamie said. I don’t even know what that means, he thought.

“No, see,” she said, petting Bruno, “This is a doggy. A nice doggy.”

“It’s alright, Jamester. Promise.” Daniel started to pick Jamie up. Jamie’s instinct to get away from the giant and the bear was locked in a struggle with his instinct to seem cool in front of Danny. He resisted only verbally.

“Nah, really I’m good,” as Danny got his hands under Jamie’s arms. “Seriously, I’d rather not.” His feet were off the ground. “I said no.” Bruno was underneath him. “No means no! No means no!”

I am sitting on a bear, Jamie said to himself. Maybe they have some prehistoric bulls I can run with or a megalodon to use as a bath toy.

“See,” the woman said, “He doesn’t mind at all.”

Jamie gave her the dirtiest look he could muster. “Interesting, that him minding seems to be your major concern. Daniel Allen, please get me down.” Daniel realized what a mistake he’d made and hurriedly complied.

“Uh, thank you, miss. I think we’ve seen all we need to.” Jamie was already walking toward the gate. Daniel caught up with him.

“Sorry. I didn’t realize how strongly you felt about it.”

“It’s not about the bear.”

“Sorry … you, uh, wanna get a beer?”

“I can do that?”

“Well, if you don’t tell, I won’t.”

Daniel got a beer an extra cup for “water,” and the two of them sat at an empty picnic table. “I didn’t … sorry.”

“You said that. Look …” Jamie still hadn’t figured out a way to say this to folks without getting angry or hurting their feelings or both. He wanted to empower people to feel confident they could interact with him person-to-person, not frighten or guilt them into treating him with kid gloves. “We can talk about it some other time.”

Jamie took a drink and immediately felt tipsy. He hadn’t touched a drop since before his departure, almost half a year ago, and big beer, he could tell, had a lot more alcohol in it. “Wow,” he coughed.

“That’ll put hair back on your chest.” It only took a few minutes for Jamie’s tongue to loosen.

“So,” he said, “When are you gonna tell everyone Aunt Lauren is pregnant?”

Daniel did a double take and unconvincingly tried to deflect. “What? She’s not … you know … your beer is, is what that question is.”

Jamie ticked off on his finger, “She was emotional two weeks ago. She was emotional this morning. She was treating me like an infant. And despite her effort to hide it, she has an acne breakout on her left cheek. Hormones, hormones, baby fever, and hormones.”

“I haven’t seen any acne.”

“Well, your face wasn’t right here,” Jamie said, indicating with his hand how close she’d held him that morning.

“You’re not gonna say anything to Becky or Amanda, right? We’re not ready to say anything yet.”

“None of my business. I won’t tell anyone.”

“Thank you.”

“How long is a pregnancy anyway?”

“18 months.”

“Oh, well, I guess that give you time to paint and everything.”

Daniel waved. Jamie turned around to see Amanda, Mel and Donna standing in line. They waved back.

“Better finish that.” Jamie polished off the last couple swallows, and Daniel placed the cup under the table. He grinned at Jamie. “So, you got a thing for Mel.”

“Yeah, a little.”

“Well, you’re not alone. But nothing can come of it, you know?”

“I know,” Jamie sighed. “I like her company, though, and I think she likes mine. And a little harmless physical affection …”

“I get it. Not so much Donna though?”

“She’s just a bit overbearing. She means well, but, well, I guess it’s obvious.” His body was absorbing more of the alcohol. He missed this feeling. No as good as those cookies but pretty damn close.

“Yeah. You could say that. Here they are.” He stood up. “Hey, we saved you seats.”

Donna managed to sit next to Jamie, with Amanda on the other side and Mel next to Donna.

“You guys having fun,” Amanda asked.

“Yeah. Uh, what did we do? Oh! We hit on those single moms who thought I was a single dad. Always a treat, right, Jamester?”

Amanda was about to laugh, and then Jamie joined in.

“Oh yeah, just like old times for me,” Jamie played along. He saw Amanda’s face narrow. “Uh oh.” Too late, a little voice in his head said, she’s seen you!

Quietly enough not to be head but loud enough to make it clearly to Daniel how pissed she was, Amanda leaned across the table and said, “You gave him beer!?!”

“What,” Daniel tried to play it off. “That’s … that’s my beer.”

“Then why is it on his breath!” Amanda said, the sentence coming out as a single word.

“Oh my god!” Donna jumped up, smacked her knee on the table, fell back to her seat, and jumped up again. “We have to go to the hospital! We need to call poison control! He’ll need a liver test! What it he’s already addicted!”

Daniel looked at her like he was watching a parody of a farce. Mel put her hand on Donna’s shoulder and pulled her back down. Amanda told her to shut up.

Jamie wasn’t feeling much pain and leaned across the table. “You know, Danny, I don’t think … we didn’t think this through … very, not very well.

“He’s drunk!” Amanda stage-shouted. Mel kept one hand on Donna’s shoulder and kept her face in the other, laughing so hard she was crying.

“Manda, big sis, I’ve been drunk before and this is ... is … you got a point, is what you have.”

“I didn’t think he was such a lightweight,” Danny said before Amanda cut him off.

“Daniel Allen! He’s five-and-a-half-feet tall!”

“Ha!” Jamie honked. “That’s the third time someone’s called you by both names today.”

“Mom is gonna kill you. If Aunt Laurie doesn’t first.”

Yeah, you never wanna piss off a pregnant wife this bad, Jamie thought, not drunk enough to say it out loud.

Amanda picked Jamie up. “And his shorts are wet!”

“Well, sure,” Jamie said, “Happens sometimes to everybody sometimes when they’ve had a few too many sometimes.” He snorted at his own joke. Mel still hadn’t said a word, but squeals of laughter were escaping around her palm. Donna was on the verge of hyperventilating.

Amanda sighed. “Mel, can you go get Jamie a soda and some little peppermint ice cream. And maybe a paper bag for Donna. Mom and Laurie were looking at some lawn ornaments or something. Maybe we can hide this.”

“Woah,” Donna righteously but at least not loudly said, “I’m not okay with that. Your mom needs to know!”

“Hey Donna,” Jamie said with a smoother voice than he could ever manage sober, “If you promise not to say anything, you can change my diaper and feed me that ice cream.”

“Okay!”

Amanda rolled her eyes so hard the springs almost broke. Mel went on her errand. “Well, Daniel, now would be the time to offer him some smokes and a hooker.”

“I don’t smoke,” Jamie answered, cracking himself up.

Amanda sighed and rubbed her forehead. “Daniel, go find Mom and Aunt Laurie and stall them or something.” She handed Donna the diaper bag from under the stroller and Jamie from her hip. “Less than five minutes, please. There’s a change of clothes in there. his shirt, too, not just his shorts.”

The line at the bathroom being quite long, Donna headed for a shade tree. Jamie wasn’t feel especially inhibited. Whether trying to help the situation or wanting to show how good she was at it, she kept it short but managed to get in a tummy raspberry, which Jamie found unusually hilarious even as the buzz was wearing off.

“Good as new,” Donna reported when she brought him back. Mel was already back, having cut the line by declaring it an ice cream emergency. Donna held the cup up, and Jamie took a long couple pulls on the caffeine. Donna prepared a spoonful of ice cream. “Here comes the airplane …”

My god, she’s a piece of work, Jamie, Amanda, and Mel simultaneously thought.

“Donna! Tick tock. Just cover the smell, please.” Donna grimaced but did as she was told, making sure Jamie got plenty around his mouth, and Jamie helped out by rubbing it along his gums with his tongue.

“Sorry, Manda,” he said.

“Did you know how strong the beer was?”

“Well, I figured it out after a few swallows.”

“So you’re not 100% blameless but for your sake and Daniel’s sake we’re gonna pretend you are. But if this ever happens again you will sleep standing in the corner, buster. For a month.”

“Argh,” Jamie said, pinching the bridge of his nose.

“Brain freeze? Well, that’s your punishment.”

“All done,” Donna announced like she was now having a great time.

“Thank you.”

Jamie started to get drowsy. Mel saw him wobble a bit. “Maybe mixing little food and alcohol wasn’t the best idea.”

“It’s perfect. If Mom asks why he’s being goofy we can blame the ice cream,” she responded. “But a nap is a good idea anyway. Best if you’re asleep when they find us.” She adjusted the stroller for him to lay flat, laid him in, and pulled the canopy over him.

“Hey, Manda?”

“What?”

“A lot of drama happens at this park.”

That was the straw that broke the camel’s back for Amanda, who couldn’t help laughing. She kissed him on the cheek. “I’ll wake you up in an hour.”

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
10 minutes ago, Neversaynopanda said:

? that was fantastic. Donna seems like a dog distracted by a squirrel when it comes to littles. Oh boy got a good laugh out of this one great work!

Lucy’s is the reaction I have in mind whenever Donna shows up.

And Snoopy’s reaction to Lucy’s reaction is what I’m thinking when everyone else observes her.

Favorite Chapter Ever!!!!! Somehow I don't think that Jamie will take advantage of future offerings of alcohol... Hope Becky stays unaware, I can only imagine the hell there will be to pay otherwise! 

• Thanks 1

It's weird how they really do consider Littles to be actual children... Not sure I'd like that part... ?

That was really funny to read ?

Come on Amanda - don't get so mad. Remember Jamie is not a baby or small child. He is still an adult. Of cause you just want to protect Jamie. But try not to overprotect and belittle him please.

And poor Daniel Allen, he just drank a beer together with Jamie, no big deal. Just normal guy thing to do. Daniel did nothing wrong here. Jamie is an adult in a "little" body. An unregressed little with an adult mind and adult needs like a beer sometimes. Maybe he got a little drunk do to the strong beer. But it is probably not the first time in his life he got drunk. But maybe the last time...

Really hope Daniel continue to do guy stuff together with Jamie after this lecture from Amanda. ?

I loved Mel in this situation. She keept herself clam and I think she and Jamie both had some fun here. ?

And Donna? You are just crazy girl. Probably need some pills to cure that ? 

This was such a fun chapter! I loved the interaction with the bears (great innovation, that, BTW: making the dimension's "dogs" bears), and the beer thing was just outstanding. Even Donna got something from this chapter. ?