LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

What diapers did you use when you were a baby?

HighVoltage

Cloth diapers and vinyl rubber pants. I still prefer cloth and PUL waterproof pants even now. I've never tried disposable diapers due to privacy issues when it comes to storing and disposing of them.

Terry towelling cloth nappies (square nappies folded either into a kite shape or triangle) with plastic pants (semi-transparent white or clear) - my parents were old school!

Was predominantly in terry cloth squares and plastic pants as it  was the 1960s. Occasionally 'paddi-pads' disposable pads with a plastic cover and in padded cotton training pants for the inevitable 'becoming a big boy'.

I am sure it was cloth pin on diapers and probably rubber pants.  I still use  pin on diapers and still call then rubber pants even thou they are made of plastic/vinyl.

On 3/5/2019 at 6:17 PM, Phil Burnell said:

Probably the same diapers I'm wearing today. Haha

-Phil

That's a long time to be wearing the same diaper!  Probably really ripe and stinky after 36 years!  :roflmao:

• Haha 1
On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:43 AM, rusty pins said:

Since I was born in the very late 1950's, it was cloth diapers.  I was a bedwetter until almost age 6 and I do remember there were 2 types of cloth diapers.  One were thicker and were pinned on, and the other were a little thinner and had velcro tapes to attach the diaper but even though I always told my mom she didn't need pins, she pinned them on anyway.  I was always afraid she would stick me with the diaper pins.  I don't remember the early days with plastic pants, but I do remember sitting in the shopping cart at the grocery store and my mom putting the Gerber plastic pants in the cart.  Back then they came in a blue and white box with the Gerber baby on it, hanging on the shelf above the baby food with other accessories.  I never wore disposable diapers as a child.

Just like Rusty I too wore cloth  since I was born in 1962.   At age 4 I can also remember the boxes of gerber baby pants, along with all the baby food on shelves above the frozen food case.  at the time I had two younger siblings,  but I can remember my mom putting  some  toddler large plastic pants in the cart.  Also like rusty I know who the plastic pants were for  (and it wasn't for my two younger siblings)  :)

Per my folks, I started in cloth right out of the womb. I don’t know how long after, but eventually they switched me to Huggies, and I grew up in their diapers, Pull Ups, and Goodnites. I can’t specifically remember which ones, but I was a Huggies kid for sure.

• 3 months later...

Cloth diapers, pins and plastic pants. For most of my diaper years they were picked up dirty and dropped off clean by the Stork Diaper Service. My two sisters and I are all 16 months apart (I’m the middle one) so there were a lot of diapers around for a while. We each had a laundry hamper in our room for years afterwards that had been our diaper pail when we were babies, with the Stork logo embossed on the lid. Theirs were pink and mine was blue. I remember realizing what the logo was as as a much older kid and being really embarrassed.

Most babies were still cloth diapered when I start being old enough to remember. There were still lots of diapers flapping on clotheslines on my way home from school. The Pampers ads of the time were trying to get people to switch from cloth: ‘Keeps him dry, even after he wets.”

i don’t have a single memory of me or my younger sister still being in diapers. I do have a pair of diaper pins I wore many times as a baby.

I had a chat with my mom about this a while back, because I recalled having been in cloth diapers more than disposables as a bed-wetting kid, and there were a couple of pictures of me in them in her photo box. However, she said that she rarely used the cloth diapers, and had me primarily in Pampers, which were the predominant disposable at the time. I recall wearing the Pampers, and specifically being told that I was not allowed to open the diaper after it was put on, because back then the tapes tore the plastic and were not reusable. A couple of times, I remember my mom repairing a diaper with Scotch tape, if I managed to wake up to go to the washroom - I'd go to the living room, tell her I had to pee, she'd pull off the tape on one side of my diaper, I'd shuffle off to the washroom, then come back, and she'd use Scotch tape to snug it back up. 

Now, while I like the feel and look of a cloth diaper, I rarely use them, probably for the same reason as my mom - they are a lot of work! Also, there is no way I could conceal a cloth diaper under my clothes when I'm out of the house. 

I found a picture of the plastic pant I used to wear as a Baby it brings back some very nice memories and very warm feelings. I still love plastic pants which look like the one as can be seen on the picture.

Knipsel.PNG

Probably was cloth, I don't remember being soo hot as I do today in disposables.  Granted, I was in a northern climate, so it never got hot (and we hadn't wrecked the environment yet).

For anyone older than 52 years old, it was most likely cloth and plastic pants.  Pampers first came out in 1961 but I remember it wasn't until later in the 1960's that you saw them in stores and on TV commercials.  Probably more around the later years about 1967 that you saw them more.  I never wore them as a child, but I do remember about 1970 my mom babysat for a 2 year old one afternoon and had to change his Pamper.  I even think in the early years of Pampers they had to be pinned on with regular diaper pins.  The tapes came later.  Most likely if you were a baby or toddler before 1965 you were raised in cloth diapers.  Even though Pampers were available as of 1961, mothers still used cloth as that was what they were familiar with, they trusted cloth diapers and plastic pants over a throw away diaper and it took a few years early on for parents to go with disposable diapers.

31 minutes ago, rusty pins said:

For anyone older than 52 years old, it was most likely cloth and plastic pants.  Pampers first came out in 1961 but I remember it wasn't until later in the 1960's that you saw them in stores and on TV commercials.  Probably more around the later years about 1967 that you saw them more.  I never wore them as a child, but I do remember about 1970 my mom babysat for a 2 year old one afternoon and had to change his Pamper.  I even think in the early years of Pampers they had to be pinned on with regular diaper pins.  The tapes came later.  Most likely if you were a baby or toddler before 1965 you were raised in cloth diapers.  Even though Pampers were available as of 1961, mothers still used cloth as that was what they were familiar with, they trusted cloth diapers and plastic pants over a throw away diaper and it took a few years early on for parents to go with disposable diapers.

Yes, there were a number of things that early pampers had to refine before they took off, (or got put on). As you mentioned, the earlier versions needed pins, and even when the tapes were introduced, they were not that good. They still had the baby feel the wetness too, no “stay dry linings”. And the real early versions, had no plastic outer shell. You still needed plastic pants over them! I think pampers even offered their own plastic pants early on. I saw some for sale once. 

And don't forget, it took moms a bit to be convinced to switch over to the “convenience” of the disposable. Moms with more then one child, were less inclined to ditch the investment they had in cloth. Not to mention, other moms or grand moms handing down free cloth diapers. And pampers cost money with every use, lots of moms wouldn’t go for the cost. Back in that time, there were more stay at home moms, willing to do the added laundry, and save on buying diapers every week. 

I was in cloth. Thay were white squares with a red line around the edges. I was still in nappies at night until around 7 but still had accidents up to 13 years old. I started getting issues again around 33 years old and am now 24 /7 

From what family has told me I was in Huggies Supremes/Cloth diaper for the first two years then swiched to Pampers. Didn't tell me why I swiched.

Guess thats why I perfer the most absorbent diapers out there today.

• 3 weeks later...