LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Are disposable diapers harmful for health?

Hi, 

Since several months my incontinence is getting worse, treatments my urologist gave me are unlikely ineffective so I have to stick with diapers 24/7.  

I'm a bit concerned about potential harmful effect of chemical that contain disposables. A french organisation analyzed their content and found chemicals that are endocrine, irritating, causing allergies and even are cancer-causing for some. The report said it was not possible to define how diaper are harmful regarding exposure but found dangerous chemicals have crossed unacceptable thresholds.

Here below the post.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/23/france-traces-of-dangerous-chemicals-found-in-disposable-nappies

If you guys have to wear for a long period of time, did you experienced some issues which may have a direct link to diaper chemicals? 

I haven't worn disposable diapers for more than 18 hours without a break, but I also haven't ever heard about any harmful effects of diapers, except an obvious diaper rash, which usually happens if changing irregularly and not cleaning the area properly. It's also pretty easy to treat, usually.

Considering how that babies wear diapers constantly and their bodies are more sensitive to chemicals etc, if there were any substantial health risks involved with disposable diapers I think we'd have heard of it long ago. Some people do have allergies and skin sensitivities true, but those are the few, and sometimes a different brand solves the problem. Besides, when you have to wear diapers there's not much else but to accept any risks involved with it.

Bettypooh

Bettypooh is correct with multiple health issues that cause incontinence there is not always a choice in wearing diapers. Sometimes medicine or other treatments can help, sometimes though medical science cannot solve the problem. It is not always an easy choice to choose to seek treatment or weather or not to. And sometimes the treatments aren't reasonable or feasible for the individual.

I accept risks involved of wearing diapers, i know other option are very limited and some like meds may be more hazardous than diapers. 

Just I ask because if there any long term risk I would better know it than discovering irreversible issues years later. 

Never less I'm glad to notice here no body complain of any issue but usual rashes that may happen to any of us.

I seem to develop nasty rashes whenever I wear disposable diapers for more than a few days in a row. When I am traveling is when I normally wear disposables. I do my best to change as often as I need to which is usually every six hours or so. I do believe that the rashes are related to the chemicals in the disposables as well as the fact that I can't feel the wetness as well as I can when wearing cloth diapers. I very seldom get rashes from cloth diapers but I almost always get a rash after I spend a couple days and nights wearing disposable diapers. 

• Thanks 1

I have urge urinary incontinence for which I have been wearing a diaper 24/7 for the past 30 years or so. I wore cloth diapers with plastic pants until disposable diapers for adults became leak resistant enough to rely on about 15 years ago. I have experienced fewer rashes and other kinds irritation in my diaper area with disposables than I used to experience with cloth. 

• Thanks 1

I would rather deal with possible chemicals in disposables than cloth. Think about it, cloth diapers dont "lock" away urine like a good premium disposable diaper does. I get horrible rashes when I wear cloth for too long. I still enjoy it occasionally, but more as a treat. If all I had was cloth..... I would be miserable. 

The second point I want to make is this: some disposable adult diapers are more likely to have chemicals in them than others. I am suspicious of ANY diaper made in China. It is well known that they are less strict about the manufacturing process. Think about all the recalls of even kids toys containing things like lead from China. Therefore, I believe that American or European made diapers are probably the safest. Confidry 24/7 is my personal daily diaper, and they are made 100% in America. As much as I like ABU and Tykables, they are all manufactured in Asia, and more likely to have toxins. 

If you are concerned about this issue, your best bet is to buy brands made in the U.S. or Europe..

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Soggy Bottom Boy said:

I seem to develop nasty rashes whenever I wear disposable diapers for more than a few days in a row. When I am traveling is when I normally wear disposables. I do my best to change as often as I need to which is usually every six hours or so. I do believe that the rashes are related to the chemicals in the disposables as well as the fact that I can't feel the wetness as well as I can when wearing cloth diapers. I very seldom get rashes from cloth diapers but I almost always get a rash after I spend a couple days and nights wearing disposable diapers. 

10 hours ago, XyXy said:

I would rather deal with possible chemicals in disposables than cloth. Think about it, cloth diapers dont "lock" away urine like a good premium disposable diaper does. I get horrible rashes when I wear cloth for too long. I still enjoy it occasionally, but more as a treat. If all I had was cloth..... I would be miserable. 

The second point I want to make is this: some disposable adult diapers are more likely to have chemicals in them than others. I am suspicious of ANY diaper made in China. It is well known that they are less strict about the manufacturing process. Think about all the recalls of even kids toys containing things like lead from China. Therefore, I believe that American or European made diapers are probably the safest. Confidry 24/7 is my personal daily diaper, and they are made 100% in America. As much as I like ABU and Tykables, they are all manufactured in Asia, and more likely to have toxins. 

If you are concerned about this issue, your best bet is to buy brands made in the U.S. or Europe..

Years ago I would develop what I called pimples on my butt when I wore Attends.  These would be the Attends 6 tape diapers that everyone loved back in the  mid to late 1990's.  I don't wear diapers all the time, but even for a few hours every few days or longer I would develop those pimples that would break out when using Attends.  It never seemed to happen with other diapers, store brands back then.  I asked a pharmacist in a drug store about it once and he suggested that I switch to a different brand of disposable brief.  I do believe that some disposable diapers can have things in them that react to some people's skin.  It could be chemicals or even scents used.  In my case I wouldn't call what I experienced a diaper rash in the sense we think of diaper rash.  To me diaper rash is urine burn that can be caused by being in a wet diaper too long, a diaper that is also messy (as I have read that a rash develops a lot faster when urine is mixed with feces) or a cloth diaper that may not have been washed and rinsed as clean as it could have been.  I've heard people say that cloth diapers that are not washed or rinsed well enough can still hold small amounts of urine and especially soap that can cause a rash.  Also I have noticed a wet cloth diaper that has wicked the urine throughout can feel more uncomfortable at times sitting in it.  That may be attributed to the weave of the fabric.  Some cloth diapers that have more of an open weave are not as smooth on the skin once they get wet and it's almost like sitting in wet burlap.  When I first saw this thread what came to my mind is the Toxic Shock Syndrome many women experienced years ago from some tampons.  Maybe what is in the Tampons that caused it is also in some disposable diapers.  The thing is, you don't put a disposable diaper up inside your body like a woman does with a tampon, but you might have to have some concern that whatever may be in the disposable diaper that could cause harm might enter your body through your urethra.  That possibility and the break out on your skin from some disposable diapers would be the harm I could see.

• Like 1

I understand women are directly exposed to chemical that can pass the mucous membrane. By the side skin in contact with diaper is much less permeable and if diaper is not soaked, e.g. change before it happens, then exposure may be reduced as well. 

So exposure still exist anyway, that's part of the dilemma but exposure can be reduced by using quality brand and doing regular changes.

stephrider, if you ask me, you are worrying too much. There are thousands of people, women included, who, for various reasons, wear diapers regularly if not constantly and still don't get any lasting damage from that. Unless you have a case of severe allergy, where you're allergic to almost everything, you should be OK. I say, just check out a few reliable brands, see which work well for you and use them for some time to find out, if there are any side effects. If there are, just change the brand. If nothing manifests itself, stop worrying and shift your attention to something else.

• Like 1

Bro all I'm going to say is the worst you will ever get is probably a yeast infection aka jock itch. It's miserable to have bit can be treated easily. Rashes and chaffing will probably be the worst. As said above some diapers are using different materials so it's possible to have a reaction but very rarely.

• Like 1

Like in so many things in life there are pro`s and con`s in virtually everything. That said, there are chemicals used to manufacture diapers whether they are harmful? I am not sure I simply don’t know. I think it is always best to minimize chemical contact as much as you can. Then again urine isn’t free of chemicals either so if you wear cloth you’ll be in contact with chemicals anyway. Urine combined with air results in ammonia which isn’t very good for your skin to begin with.

I don't buy that diapers are that harmful.

I wet my pants without diapers before and wore diapers for a while because of a problem taht has recently gotten fixed and hopefully will not need them for al ong time to come.  

I suffered more when I didn't have diapers from skin fungus and other problems.  When I wore diapers, even without the creams and powder, the most that happened was my butt got a little red for a bit, but then it went away while I was still using them.  The problem with chemicals, I think, is if you soil the diaper so much that the inside lining tears and exposes you to the mush that is supposed to take away the pee, then you are in more direct contact with the chemicals, and that might be the problem.  The thing is, even though I had gotten that wet a couple of times, I really didn't get that bad of a problem compared to not wearing any protection at all and just wearing pants that not only shamed me if someone saw it, but actually caused a fungus to grow around my privates, that when scratched becasue of itching, even tore the skin and bled.

Take it from someone with experience, unless you have an alergy, diapers are less harmful to your skin than not wearing anything if you tend to pee your pants or worse a lot.

Thanks guys for replying, you all helped me. And now I know I don't have to worry. The brands I wear are fine enough not to make any issue and since I cannot do something else than wearing diapers... so what!? They are my only option to stan in my position at work.

Therefore thank to diapers even if there is some chemicals inside. I am okay with that now.

• Like 1

Hi: let me apologize in advance if I rant.
I just want to start by saying diapers are not dangerous.
Let me repeat "not dangerous"!
Disposable diapers are one of the most thoroughly tested manufactured items on the planet. They had to be because the cloth diaper industry back in the 60s 70s and 80s spent millions of dollars scaring mothers to death that disposable diapers were going to make their babies retards (maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit but it was pretty nasty).
If you're still worried about the chemicals, and there are very few, you can always use cloth diapers, as others have mentioned. I don't mean the things that they market (MARKET) as cloth diapers. I don't know why but, for some reason everyone seems to thinks that a cloth diaper has to Look Like a disposable diaper complete with Velcro, snaps and multiple layers of synthetic fabric that does every kind of weird shit you can imagine... Except... for keeping the feces and urine inside the diaper instead of down your leg.

I prefer cloth diapers. One of the things I think we all worry about odor and the best thing about a well folded and pinned cloth diaper is the fact that they don't smell. Since I am also bowel incontinent, containing that kind of smell has always been a priority for me.

I've gone on and on about the proper way of folding and pinning cloth diapers in the past so if anyone's interested I'll be glad to repost.

The issue of rashes and irritability are individual. There are insectacides in nearly all paper products. Did you ever notice there are no little spiders or eggs or moths or roaches (of the live kind) in your diapers, tissues, paper towels, and womens products? There is a reason for that.

I remember many years ago there was a situation with womens products and it was named ‘Toxic Shock Syndrome’ which was the chemical company name for too much chemicals. They over treated these products and women would have severe pains and sores. It actually was so severe it caused death to some women. I don’t remember them being kind enough to recall the products.

Ok, all this is from memory and I reserve the right to be wrong. One could possibly learn more about it by putting ‘Toxic Shock Syndrome’ in a useful search engine. Of course the entire event may have been removed since we are in the censord society. May have to refer to the ‘wayback machine’.

Diapers are harmful to health if one consumes them. In relation to wearing same, the French health department checked numerous brands and found that a few, under very specific circumstances, could be harmful. The relevant manufactures have been informed and have changed production to exceed these standards of health and safety. 

This type of checking is continous with most consumer products, and related changes are implemented. The fact that the media tried to sensationalize this is not a fault within the diaper manufacturing industry, but more like media trying to make money from the perception of the fears of the gulible.

If you fear disposables, wear cloth.

Simply, disposable diapers are NOT harmful to wear, unless you are a P&G employee with a baby wearing Huggies at a P&G company event - for example!

• 3 weeks later...

The thing you’re typing on has unacceptable levels of dangerous chemicals in it. This is a fact: there is no safe way to eat an electronic device.

As a general rule, mere physical exposure to something is not harmful unless that something is absorbed through the skin. So you can wear, but not consume, your diapers safely. (That’s sarcasm in case anyone misses it.)

And Bettypooh is correct: infants are much more susceptible to dangerous chemicals than adult.

I think this study is fear mongering and misleading.